• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2013 |OT| - "Double-B to Double-M" The Milbury Leafs Era Begins NOW

dem

Seattle always seemed like a shoe in for an NHL team to me..

Time for the Coyotes to go. How long can this shit go on?

Acid08

Banned
yakcity.jpg

Pretty sure that, after tonight, there will no longer be any undefeated teams in the NHL.
We'll see. I don't think your defense has gotten better.

Socreges

Banned
Gillis really should have traded Luongo before the season started. That's just getting a little silly.
Why trade Luongo when you're not being offered anything you like and teams are more likely to cough up more heading toward the playoffs?

Schneider will still be Schneider, regardless of how many games Luongo starts. He knows the #1 position will be his once he's got a backup next to him and not one of the best in the league.

Why trade Luongo when you're not being offered anything you like and teams are more likely to cough up more heading toward the playoffs?

Schneider will still be Schneider, regardless of how many games Luongo starts. He knows the #1 position will be his once he's got a backup next to him and not one of the best in the league.

It's entirely possible that you're right, but I don't know if that many teams are going to look at Luongo and say "That's the guy that'll get us the cup" come trade deadline. Of course, I'm in the camp that thinks trading Luongo should be a salary dump, not a hockey trade.

Socreges

Banned
Vigneault. The official Canucks twitter feed. Dan Murphy. Who else are you waiting to hear it from?
No reason to be snippy. You can get information like that from random sources sometimes, and they can turn out to be wrong.

I had also checked @VanCanucks and saw nothing

It's entirely possible that you're right, but I don't know if that many teams are going to look at Luongo and say "That's the guy that'll get us the cup" come trade deadline. Of course, I'm in the camp that thinks trading Luongo should be a salary dump, not a hockey trade.
Yeah. He can only get you to Game 7 of the Finals. That's his ceiling!

For certain teams that have most of the pieces but lack any starting/promising goaltenders in order to be a contender, Luongo is the difference.

Schneider might get annoyed riding the bench

Socreges

Banned
Schneider might get annoyed riding the bench
And what? Demands a trade? Despite knowing that Luongo is being actively shopped?

If Schneider's media interactions completely betray his feelings, and he's truly tormented right now, then I'm sure there are some good psychiatrists that he can afford.

This Luongo sideshow is embarrassing and insulting to Schnieder.

That said, I welcome Reboundo Louongoal tomorrow. Looking forward to the free win.

Yeah. He can only get you to Game 7 of the Finals. That's his ceiling!

For certain teams that have most of the pieces but lack any starting/promising goaltenders in order to be a contender, Luongo is the difference.

Hey, I like Luongo and would love to have him, but he's on a tricky contract. Teams that are already solid contenders have all pretty much got their goaltending locked up. There's really only a few teams that need a goalie right now, and nobody seems to be wanting to part with much for Lu.

I guess it doesn't matter though, Gillis already has a deal in place, right?

Marvie_3

Banned
And what? Demands a trade? Despite knowing that Luongo is being actively shopped?

If Schneider's media interactions completely betray his feelings, and he's truly tormented right now, then I'm sure there are some good psychiatrists that he can afford.

Did you see how much money he lost during the lockout? I'm sure putting food on the table comes before therapy right now.

Socreges

Banned
Hey, I like Luongo and would love to have him, but he's on a tricky contract. Teams that are already solid contenders have all pretty much got their goaltending locked up. There's really only a few teams that need a goalie right now, and nobody seems to be wanting to part with much for Lu.

I guess it doesn't matter though, Gillis already has a deal in place, right?
Ever? Will there at no point be a team that's willing to give a little bit more to have Luongo on their team? And is it not worth holding onto Luongo meanwhile since the alternatives are cap relief (in which case you have $5m with nothing to spend it on until the Summer, and one #1 goaltender with no reliable backup) or a cap dump (in which case you've arguably made the team worse)

The best deal available right now does not get much worse in two months or five. And having two #1 goaltenders meanwhile is probably not the emotional rollercoaster for poor Cory that some people would like to believe it is. So I just don't agree that Gillis should take whatever offer is on the table right now.

OnPoint

I know it's only a couple weeks into the season, but enough is enough in Sabresland. I'm sick of watching these players do just enough to lose by a goal or two every night. Leopold straight up quit on that GWG against Toronto the other night. There's 3 seconds left -- take a penalty and prevent the goal you bum!

Every fan I know is restless. We're tired of mediocrity. Heroic rushes to 9th place from 15th. It's time to make some big changes

Here's my roadmap for the rest of the season if they can't win. Which they've proven they can't. Unless they're winning, I won't be happy unless these things happen.

1. Make a major trade
- They have a 7-game window where I think this will make me happy. I'm talking a big player. Ship out Miller, Stafford, Vanek. I don't care who, just a "leader" or 'big name player' on this team needs to go to shake things up. Get a good return, sure, but break this locker room out of its daze.

2. Fire Ruff/Regier
- If we don't get changes in the 7-game stretch I've cited, or the changes don't amount to anything after 10 or so after that, it's time. I love Ruff, but these guys aren't playing to their potential under him. It's probably time to change up the style in Buffalo. Regier, well, there's no defense for him. I've wanted him out for ages.

That's it. I've heard similar from a ton of people and I agree. This team needs a change.

Ever? Will there at no point be a team that's willing to give a little bit more to have Luongo on their team? And is it not worth holding onto Luongo meanwhile since the alternatives are cap relief (in which case you have $5m with nothing to spend it on until the Summer, and one #1 goaltender with no reliable backup) or a cap dump (in which case you've arguably made the team worse)

The best deal available right now does not get much worse in two months or five. And having two #1 goaltenders meanwhile is probably not the emotional rollercoaster for poor Cory that some people would like to believe it is. So I just don't agree that Gillis should take whatever offer is on the table right now.

Realistically, the window for trading Luongo is this season and next. After that I think he'll be far enough outside his prime that I don't think any team but a cap floor team would be willing to look at him. I think you made a great point that deals probably aren't coming off the table anytime soon, but the guy does have a huge contract, and is arguably exiting his prime. I think it's as likely that offers get smaller going forward unless Vancouver keeps a tonne of his cap space.

Who knows, it's easy to do this from the arm chair.

Socreges

Banned
Realistically, the window for trading Luongo is this season and next. After that I think he'll be far enough outside his prime that I don't think any team but a cap floor team would be willing to look at him. I think you made a great point that deals probably aren't coming off the table anytime soon, but the guy does have a huge contract, and is arguably exiting his prime. I think it's as likely that offers get smaller going forward unless Vancouver keeps a tonne of his cap space.

Who knows, it's easy to do this from the arm chair.
True. I'm happy with him taking that risk, though. Wait and see if you can get Something instead of Nothing+. If Nothing+ turns into Nothing-, oh well.

"Nothing+" = Tyler Bozak, FYI

True. I'm happy with him taking that risk, though. Wait and see if you can get Something instead of Nothing+. If Nothing+ turns into Nothing-, oh well.

"Nothing+" = Tyler Bozak, FYI

Bozak + Franson. I'd do that deal.

Ah well, off to teach. PVRing the game tonight, so I'll be KESSSEELLL-ing with Leafs-GAF about an hour behind.

CCF23

I don't really get why this goalie shit is such a big deal. After the game tomorrow each goalie will have started 4 games. Luongo posted a shutout. You don't sit a guy after a shutout. Schneider got to play after shutting out the Ducks.

Also, not sure if this has been posted but:

Gillis: "Haven't been thinking about, thought of, or considered" trading Schneider

Hunter S.

I don't really get why this goalie shit is such a big deal. After the game tomorrow each goalie will have started 4 games. Luongo posted a shutout. You don't sit a guy after a shutout. Schneider got to play after shutting out the Ducks.

Also, not sure if this has been posted but:

He was playing Colorado who likes to spend 1/3 of the game a man down. It is about an impressive shutout as beating a team of lame midget drunks.

CCF23

Florida has lost 5 in a row and allowed the most goals against in the NHL?

t_32854.jpg

It's not hard, Panthers. Just give us Bjugstad. Soooooooo simple.

He was playing Colorado who likes to spend 1/3 of the game a man down. It is about an impressive shutout as beating a team of lame midget drunks.

While I agree with you, a shutout is a shutout.

Top Bottom