• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2014 |OT| Bobby Orr, Bathroom Stalls, and the Battle at the Big House

Merguson

Banned
Well that was fun to watch. It sucks that the game ended in shootout but I'll take the two points.

As for the Gleason deal.. meh.. worst case scenario.. it's just basically the same situation as before..

Jayhawk

Trying to figure the potential team USA line combinations...

Pacioretty - Parise - Kane
JVR - Pavelski - Kessel
Brown - Kesler - Backes
Oshie - Stepan - Callahan
Wheeler?!?

JVR/Kessel, Stepan/Callahan, and Backes/Oshie are teammate pairs. One of them at least will be split up.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Trying to figure the potential team USA line combinations...

Pacioretty - Parise - Kane
JVR - Pavelski - Kessel
Brown - Kesler - Backes
Oshie - Stepan - Callahan
Wheeler?!?

JVR/Kessel, Stepan/Callahan, and Backes/Oshie are teammate pairs. One of them at least will be split up.

Can Parise even play center?

Also Brown-Kesler-Backes gets my vote for "oh my god please coach don't make me play against this line" award

If we're caring about chemistry now, I would have rather seen Saad make it over Wheeler then to play with Kane.

Went over this, too young/inexperienced. 2018 he'll be in if he continues the way he's playing.

Jayhawk

Also Brown-Kesler-Backes gets my vote for "oh my god please coach don't make me play against this line" award

Went over this, too young/inexperienced. 2018 he'll be in if he continues the way he's playing.

Good point about Parise as C. Kane will probably be C for first scoring line, since he's been playing a bit more C past couple of seasons.

Smiley90

I like these lines better, it's got some actual centers on the top 2 lines

Line 1: Zach Parise-Joe Pavelski-Patrick Kane
Line 2: James Van Riemsdyk-Ryan Kesler-Phil Kessel
Line 3: Dustin Brown-David Backes-TJ Oshie
Line 4: Max Pacioretty-Derek Stepan-Ryan Callahan

Defensive Pairing 1: Ryan Suter-Kevin Shattenkirk
Defensive Pairing 2: John Carlson-Ryan McDonagh
Defensive Pairing 3: Paul Martin-Cam Fowler

I also realized that Yandle didn't make the team? What happened to him oO Happy Fowler is on it though.

Don't care for that reasoning with any player. If they're good enough, they should play.

Instead of shoehorning in players like Wheeler.

Smiley90

Don't care for that reasoning with any player. If they're good enough, they should play.

You have a choice: Player who we'll give a rating of 85 who we know will perform because he's been consistent for years. Or player who plays like a 90 atm, but who might fall down to a 75 at the Olympics because of the pressure because we don't know how he'll perform.

I understand why teams select the safe pick. If the risky pick makes a crucial mistake, coaches get the blame.

He got snubbed.

Is Orpik even back from his injury yet?

ZeroGravity

Smiley90

Also, if we're going by this, then Kyle Okposo should be on Team USA's roster too. Only american player with more points than him is Kane.

Still don't understand why Ryan's not on it though. Hasn't Callahan also been pretty crappy this season? Not to mention Brown can go fuck off, anyway.

Also, if we're going by this, then Kyle Okposo should be on Team USA's roster too. Only american player with more points than him is Kane.

Still don't understand why Ryan's not on it though. Hasn't Callahan also been pretty crappy this season? Not to mention Brown can go fuck off, anyway.

Wouldn't have an issue with it but Saad would have Kane who he's familiar with. Would Okposo? I'm honestly not familiar with the Islanders' roster.

Merguson

Banned
Burke questions the group's collective decision in giving the last spot to an offensive player when it might be better to have a shutdown guy like Erik Johnson on board. Burke offers up his personal doubts that Jones is ready for this competition and relates his own dream moment.

"I had a nightmare the other night he cost us a medal with a mistake," Burke says.

There is an awkward silence.

lol

Smiley90

Wouldn't have an issue with it but Saad would have Kane who he's familiar with. Would Okposo? I'm honestly not familiar with the Islanders' roster.

He... uh... played 2 seasons with Blake Wheeler in Minnesota? That's all I got. Still though, 2nd highest-scoring American in the NHL atm. He has e.g. more points than Stepan and Callahan... COMBINED. He's also played center in his career, AFAIK.

What the fuck is wrong with Team USA management? Is Burkie not involved or something? How do you leave BOBBY FUCKING ORRYAN off the roster?

Team Canada 4 lyfe anyway.

That was interesting. Not top tier hockey but conditions affect both sides.

105,000 people watchin hockey in the snow. Unique event.

One that'll happen 5 more times this year!

ZeroGravity

So Vancouver, if you want to let the Lightning win tonight on my birthday, that would be super cool of you. Just saying.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Callahan's been injured almost the whole season. Had a brief couple of weeks where he looked good after getting healthy, but then got injured again, then played through injury for a bit and didn't do so hot, then injured his knee. He's practicing in a non-contact jersey these days and should be back maybe in the next week or so.

That's really the big weakness of Cally's game. Because of how he plays, he gets injured a lot. I think he had something like 8 separated shoulders last season (I mean that seriously, not as a comedic exaggeration).

He's part of the leadership group of the team, though. Wouldn't be surprised if he's wearing at least an A.

Holiday

Banned
Hitch was quoted saying that he deserves more than 4th line minutes. Which sorta screams odd man out before 2014-15 being old Stewie.

I get the logic, but wish there was a way to fit him in. If there was a way to get rid of Stewart and put Jaskin in his spot, that would be sweet.

Smiley90

So Vancouver, if you want to let the Lightning win tonight on my birthday, that would be super cool of you. Just saying.

Happy Birthday! Now get those dreams of yours outta here.

Callahan's been injured almost the whole season. Had a brief couple of weeks where he looked good after getting healthy, but then got injured again, then played through injury for a bit and didn't do so hot, then injured his knee. He's practicing in a non-contact jersey these days and should be back maybe in the next week or so.

That's really the big weakness of Cally's game. Because of how he plays, he gets injured a lot. I think he had something like 8 separated shoulders last season (I mean that seriously, not as a comedic exaggeration).

He's part of the leadership group of the team, though. Wouldn't be surprised if he's wearing at least an A.

It's fine, it's not like the rest of Team USA is injury-prone. .... Wait a second....

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
NHLN just showed the USA lineup that had Wheeler and Stepan as the extra forwards and McDonagh and Fowler as the extra defensemen.

I find it hard to believe that McDonagh isn't top 4 on this roster.

Smiley90

You'll have to settle for a Real American Hero Ryan Kesler rebound goal.

On that note, from TSN's twitter:

"Before announcing the roster for the Olympic Team, USA Hockey sent text messages to players in the mix saying they would be contacted, but Ryan Kesler had changed his #. The guy who has it now said "I'm a 67 year old Canadian in Vancouver, I'd be happy to play for you." And he added: "I think Canada would be even happier if I played for you." The USA Hockey guys had a good laugh."

I was watching an episode of Firefly last night where they went to a mud planet and they were looking for a guy named Kessler and spoke to a guy named Higgins about him.

Canucks are interplanetary mud farmers.

Top Bottom