• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2014 |OT| Bobby Orr, Bathroom Stalls, and the Battle at the Big House

Sanjuro

Wonder what the ratings are going to look like for this game. Maybe Gary will actually consider some Canadian teams in the future for the Classic.

Okay, what the fuck is this bathroom stall stuff Don Quick always goes off about?

I laugh my ass off at darn near every other piece of those rants, but I have no idea what that reference is to.

Boogie

Without question, the absolute WORST live event experience I've ever encountered. I'll post more when I get home, but I'm beyond pissed off at how this whole thing turned out.

Ditto. Were you also nearly trampled to death on the concourse?

Edit: still not through the border yet. :-/

yyzjohn

Banned
Wonder what the ratings are going to look like for this game. Maybe Gary will actually consider some Canadian teams in the future for the Classic.

Should be big ratings I would think. All my buddies who don't even like the Leafs were watching the game.

It's okay, they have Martin St. Luminous.

boo-this-man-o.gif

Let's see what the 2014 Canucks look like...

One day older than the 2013 Canucks.

DASTARDLY NOOOOOOOO

Saw that coming.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
wsox, are you doing Real-Picture January with your avatar?

edit: what did Dastardly do this time...

wsox, are you doing Real-Picture January with your avatar?

edit: what did Dastardly do this time...

yeah. missed it last year and two people prodded me into doing it. two years old but it's the most recent I have at hand.

He referred to people willing, but unable to do physical activity each day as sub-human.

It wasn't a misunderstanding either. He actually clarified to say that. I'll dig up the post.

Smiley90

yeah. missed it last year and two people prodded me into doing it. two years old but it's the most recent I have at hand.

He referred to people willing, but unable to do physical activity each day as sub-human.

It wasn't a misunderstanding either. He actually clarified to say that. I'll dig up the post.

wait holy shit that's actually you? Sorry but... that's a terrible picture.

ooooooh THAT's what he meant with the "I have an even more unpopular opinion" post from last page then :lol

Quick

Banned

I think the Leafs were an easy choice for this one. Biggest city in Canada, close proximity to Detroit/Ann Arbor area, Original 6 history. The next team I can see get an invite to a Winter Classic would be the Canadiens or Canucks.

Smiley90

I think the Leafs were an easy choice for this one. Biggest city in Canada, close proximity to Detroit/Ann Arbor area, Original 6 history. The next team I can see get an invite to a Winter Classic would be the Canadiens or Canucks.

Winter Classic Canucks-Hawks somewhere in a big stadium in Illinois.

Do it.

Or Habs-Boston somewhere in MA.

wait holy shit that's actually you? Sorry but... that's a terrible picture.

ooooooh THAT's what he meant with the "I have an even more unpopular opinion" post from last page then :lol

I know. Best I have. I don't take pictures often and change my fb picture as often as I get tagged in one that I don't despise.

Do it.

Soldier Field, Wrigley Field, Comiskey... Probably missing somewhere. Won't happen anytime soon though. We've gotten the winter classic and the stadium series this year.

Sanjuro

Eh, not bashing the Leafs, but I think the decision to include them has nothing to do with what you mentioned and everything to do with attendance in Detroit.

Do it.

Nobody cares about the Habs outside this market. I would love it of course. Would have been smart to do a Boston/Canucks matchup after our Finals meeting.

Smiley90

I know. Best I have. I don't take pictures often and change my fb picture as often as I get tagged in one that I don't despise.

I'm sorry but you look like a woman/very feminine in that picture. I can't unsee it.

So I left the house a little after 11am to get to the Stadium. I rechecked Google Maps to see the updated duration of the route I was taken. An estimated 40 min. trip went up to an estimated 90 min trip. I thought to myself that wouldn't be so bad since I might get to Ann Arbor before the game began. I was so wrong. With the traffic and weather, it took over 2 hours to finally get to Ann Arbor. And I was nowhere close to the stadium. I eventually had to listen to the first period on the radio while still getting close to the venue. And the parking...holy shit the parking. Parking was closed off at the stadium by the time I got there. There were parked cars practically everywhere (in driveways, store parking lots). There was a 7/11 letting people who were attending the game park in their store parking lot (as long as they paid for it). I even saw a sign somewhere else that permitted parking...as long as you coughed up $60 (I wish I was kidding). Finding a parking space was a bitch. Got to a public parking garage that supposedly had spots left but they were either all taken or people did some shitty parking. Eventually settled for a small spot across the parking garage. The first period was done by the time I got out of my car.

And then came the walking. I initially went the wrong way when going to the stadium (opposite direction) and had to walk back the right direction. I really made no real effort in getting there as fast as I could. It was cold and I was already in a foul mood. Making my way to the stadium, I saw a bunch of people walking in the opposite directions carrying seat warmers from the game. I guess they thought it was too cold. I wouldn't blame them. When I finally got to the stadium and too my seat, the game was already at the 2nd Intermission. So in essence, I paid $100+ to attend a game I wasn't even present at 2/3rds of the way through. And I was barely paying any real attention to the 3rd period. I was too busy standing up like the other spectators, my legs were shivering and I was trying my best to keep my hands from freezing (guess I missed the stand where they were selling hand warmers). What a fucking load of bullshit. At least there was OT and a shootout but I'll never do something like this again. I highly doubt trying to attend previous Winter Classics were as ridiculous as this.

And as promised, here's an album of pics I took:
http://imgur.com/a/bN1cB#

Quick

Banned

Do it.

Soldier Field, Wrigley Field, Comiskey... Probably missing somewhere. Won't happen anytime soon though. We've gotten the winter classic and the stadium series this year.

I was going to mention rivalries between the Habs and Bruins and Canucks and Blackhawks, but both Boston and Chicago already hosted a Winter Classic, with Chicago getting a Stadium Series this year.

Assuming the Winter Classic is going to be mainly for American teams, I'd imagine plenty of complaints from team owners if both cities get another chance at hosting a game anytime soon.

Eh, not bashing the Leafs, but I think the decision to include them has nothing to do with what you mentioned and everything to do with attendance in Detroit.

Nobody cares about the Habs outside this market. I would love it of course. Would have been smart to do a Boston/Canucks matchup after our Finals meeting.

I didn't take your post as bashing the Leafs. And it was probably easy to fill up Michigan Stadium considering the close proximity of Detroit/Ann Arbor to Southern Ontario in general, which is mostly Leafs territory.

So I left the house a little after 11am to get to the Stadium. I rechecked Google Maps to see the updated duration of the route I was taken. An estimated 40 min. trip went up to an estimated 90 min trip. I thought to myself that wouldn't be so bad since I might get to Ann Arbor before the game began. I was so wrong. With the traffic and weather, it took over 2 hours to finally get to Ann Arbor. And I was nowhere close to the stadium. I eventually had to listen to the first period on the radio while still getting close to the venue. And the parking...holy shit the parking. Parking was closed off at the stadium by the time I got there. There were parked cars practically everywhere (in driveways, store parking lots). There was a 7/11 letting people who were attending the game park in their store parking lot (as long as they paid for it). I even saw a sign somewhere else that permitted parking...as long as you coughed up $60 (I wish I was kidding). Finding a parking space was a bitch. Got to a public parking garage that supposedly had spots left but they were either all taken or people did some shitty parking. Eventually settled for a small spot across the parking garage. The first period was done by the time I got out of my car.

And then came the walking. I initially went the wrong way when going to the stadium (opposite direction) and had to walk back the right direction. I really made no real effort in getting there as fast as I could. It was cold and I was already in a foul mood. Making my way to the stadium, I saw a bunch of people walking in the opposite directions carrying seat warmers from the game. I guess they thought it was too cold. I wouldn't blame them. When I finally got to the stadium and too my seat, the game was already at the 2nd Intermission. So in essence, I paid $100+ to attend a game I wasn't even present at 2/3rds of the way through. And I was barely paying any real attention to the 3rd period. I was too busy standing up like the other spectators, my legs were shivering and I was trying my best to keep my hands from freezing (guess I missed the stand where they were selling hand warmers). What a fucking load of bullshit. At least there was OT and a shootout but I'll never do something like this again. I highly doubt trying to attend previous Winter Classics were as ridiculous as this.

What did you expect? Ann Arbor isn't a major city with tons of parking =/

Acid08

Banned

Seems like you're partially to blame for leaving late, tbh. Should have expected it to be nuts and acted accordingly.

they cried together about it.

Tabris is his dad

please never joke about this again

it would totally make sense though

somehow i think tabris' rambling about the nhl starting after the lockout and destiny and how the red wings are going to dominate the east would scare away any women though

Sanjuro

I would actually prefer it to be similar match-ups every year. Three games in a day or so, swap venues yearly, mostly original six.

Honestly all set with the Columbus vs. Nashville Winter Classic that has been fermenting in Gary's head for years.

Heretic

Sounds like the your bad experience was your own fault :/

Sucks you had to deal with that :(

Sanjuro

Should've taken into consideration the weather and the fact that there are over 100,000 people in attendance. That's a ton of cars and traffic going into Ann Arbor.

People make days of it. There were an absolute flood of Flyers fans around the area for New Years. Made things kind of fun as we were bumping into them around every corner.

Same goes for any time the Habs, Leafs, and slightly the Sens are in town.

AKA. Hockey fans usually travel in greater packs.

Top Bottom