• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2014 |OT| Bobby Orr, Bathroom Stalls, and the Battle at the Big House

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Well shit...deserved to lose that one. 10 minute misconducts for running your mouth. Bad bounces. Couldn't score. McDavid falling back down to earth maybe?

I don't get why Barrie and Wilson are scratches when Holden and Guenin are much more of a defensive liability.

Roy was pissed with the penalty Wilson took late in the third in the last game he played, and Barrie had one bad play in that game as well. I think Barrie will be back soon, I think Wilson has been out for so long that he needs to practice more before getting regular time.

Spl1nter

Well shit...deserved to lose that one. 10 minute misconducts for running your mouth. Bad bounces. Couldn't score. McDavid falling back down to earth maybe?

Why bring a 16 year old and not even play him in his natural position. Just horrible coaching/selection. Drop one of your 9 centers for a real fucking winger.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

He's 16, cut him some slack. If Team Canada really expected a 16 year old to lead the team, then that's Team Canada's fault.

Socreges

Banned
Canada deserved to lose. I'll echo that. But I do think the game could have gone very, very differently if that first BS goal hadn't happened and that BS penalty against Drouin hadn't been called. Finland wouldn't have had the lead they did and wouldn't have been able to trap the shit out of Canada

They played EXTREMELY well with the lead, though. That's where Finland plays their best hockey and are so well coached.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Why bring a 16 year old and not even play him in his natural position. Just horrible coaching/selection. Drop one of your 9 centers for a real fucking winger.
This. Terrible decisions from top to bottom for Team Canada. Five years without a gold now, they should start re-evaluating themselves.

Canada deserved to lose. I'll echo that. But I do think the game could have gone very, very differently if that first BS goal hadn't happened and that BS penalty against Drouin hadn't been called. Finland wouldn't have had the lead they did and wouldn't have been able to trap the shit out of Canada

They played EXTREMELY well with the lead, though. That's where Finland plays their best hockey and are so well coached.

That's definitely a problem with Canada.

No discipline. No chemistry. That's on coaching and management.

Smiley90

Having watched the games and looking at Team Canada's roster now, there's some guys I didn't see at all during the tournament or hear from.

Anderson? Leier? The entire d-corps outside of Pouliot?

The only ones that really played well were Fucale, Drouin and Mantha. (And I liked Horvat, but I paid much more attention to him than others, so I'm fairly biased)

calder

Rough afternoon of hockey for me, shit.

Canada looked bad, Jets played decently for most of their loss at least but thanks to Pavs for kicking up the stupid brewing goalie controversy with a few shittastic goals. Bruins have perfected that constant baseline of dirty play that really suits them.

Fuck this. When's football? :p

Socreges

Banned
Canada won 5 in a row. Now they've since lost 5 in a row. Time for another 5 gold medals.

Toronto/Montreal are the hosts next year, so that'll work in Canada's favour. 6 gold, 3 silver, 1 bronze in the last 10 tournaments held in North American rinks.

Duchene you sexy mfker

i

Socreges

Banned
That's definitely a problem with Canada.

No discipline. No chemistry. That's on coaching and management.
One thing that bothered me about Canada from the start of the tournament was how they seemed to celebrate for themselves after goals, whereas other teams would celebrate with each other. Big egos and individualism these days.

Antti

What a dirty move to fake the injury on that PS...oh wait, you can pick the shooter freely in IIHF games.

Think of better excuses, boys.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
What a dirty move to fake the injury on that PS...oh wait, you can pick the shooter freely in IIHF games.

Why did Mantha have to shoot for his Ps instead of allowing Drouin to take it? Legitimately asking, because I know Canada wanted Drouin to take it.

Parch

Yeah, 16 year olds rarely do well in these tournaments. Even Crosby struggled.
Early media hype starts putting high expectations on young players. Everybody starts believing the hype and expects them to perform the same at higher levels. McDavid should never have been selected to this team.

Smiley90

Why did Mantha have to shoot for his Ps instead of allowing Drouin to take it? Legitimately asking, because I know Canada wanted Drouin to take it.

From the IIHF rulebook, Section 5, Rule 509 a):

"In cases where a player was fouled in a manner that warrants a penalty shot, the player fouled shall be designated to take the penalty shot. If the fouled player is injured
on the play, the Captain shall designate any non-penalized player who was on the ice at the time of the infraction to take place."

I'll be here all day.

Top Bottom