• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2015 |OT| A team wearing the Maple Leaf won something at the ACC

zroid

Banned
Ok someone on hfboards listed the top 10:

1. William Nylander
2. Sam Reinhart
3. Nikolaj Ehlers
4. Sam Bennett
5. Max Domi
6. Kevin Fiala
7. Jakub Vrana
8. Derrick Pouliot
9. Darnell Nurse
10. Nic Petan

Can't believe I never saw this gif until today:

KY4Aen.gif

Beautiful

I still have a Metroid Prime Trilogy disc brand new sealed.

Worthless on January 29th? I was going to invest in my son's college education starting with that.

I don't have kids

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like Matt Hunwick is going to be in the lineup for John Moore tonight. So...

Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello
Kreider-Miller-St.Louis
Hagelin-D.Moore-Stempniak
Glass-Hayes-Fast

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Boyle
Hunwick-Klein

Talbot

With tonight's game, the Rangers become the final team in the NHL to hit the halfway mark of the season.

Also starting another "3 road games in 4 nights" stretch will probably be just as difficult as and much much more important than last week's jaunt through California. Bruins tonight, BJs tomorrow, Penguins on Sunday. The Bruins have been a tough matchup in recent years, so that will be a challenge even if they're not quite the same Bruins this year. The Jackets are a great little budding rivalry, and our only meeting early this season went quite decisively to the BJs. And of course the Penguins are ahead of us. If we can sweep this batch of games, we could potentially hunt down the Pens for second place in the Metro by the time it's over (the Pens' only game between now and then is against the first place Islanders).

They should have counted both goals.

Also, having not watched the game I had no idea what was going on with that Perry picture and panicked, thinking in the heat of the moment that he got traded to the now non-existent Atlanta Thrashers.

QFaC2KH.jpg

Perry also got another shutout. Is there anything he can't do?

W2FETbK.jpg

calder

Code:
Corey Pronman's Top 50 NHL Prospects
Rank 	Player 	Position 	Team 	Previous Rank
1 	William Nylander C 	Toronto Maple Leafs 	4
2 	Sam Reinhart 	C 	Buffalo Sabres 	5
3 	Nikolaj Ehlers 	LW 	Winnipeg Jets 	6
4 	Sam Bennett 	C 	Calgary Flames 	3
5 	Max Domi 	C/W 	Arizona Coyotes 	27
6 	Kevin Fiala 	LW 	Nashville Predators 	7
7 	Jakub Vrana 	LW 	Washington Capitals 	32
8 	Derrick Pouliot D 	Pittsburgh Penguins 	29
9 	Darnell Nurse 	D 	Edmonton Oilers 	23
10 	Nic Petan 	C 	Winnipeg Jets 	24
11 	Michael Dal Colle 	LW 	New York Islanders 	9
12 	Anthony Duclair 	RW 	New York Rangers 	HM
13 	Josh Morrissey 	D 	Winnipeg Jets 	18
14 	Kasperi Kapanen 	RW 	Pittsburgh Penguins 	15
15 	Pavel Buchnevich 	RW 	New York Rangers 	25
16 	Dylan Larkin 	C 	Detroit Red Wings 	HM
17 	Robby Fabbri 	C 	St. Louis Blues 	35
18 	Griffin Reinhart 	D 	New York Islanders 	20
19 	Jake Virtanen 	RW 	Vancouver Canucks 	26
20 	Mathew Dumba 	D 	Minnesota Wild 	45
21 	Sonny Milano 	LW 	Columbus Blue Jackets 	30
22 	Haydn Fleury 	D 	Carolina Hurricanes 	13
23 	Vlad Kamenev 	C 	Nashville Predators 	NR
24 	Ville Pokka 	D 	Chicago Blackhawks 	41
25 	Alex Khoklachev 	C/W 	Boston Bruins 	55
26 	Charles Hudon 	LW 	Montreal Canadiens 	NR
27 	Brayden Point 	C 	Tampa Bay Lightning 	87
28 	Anthony Mantha 	LW 	Detroit Red Wings 	33
29 	Riley Barber 	RW 	Washington Capitals 	37
30 	Alex Tuch 	RW 	Minnesota Wild 	89
31 	Joe Hicketts 	D 	Detroit Red Wings 	IE
32 	Ty Rattie 	RW 	St. Louis Blues 	61
33 	Joel Armia 	RW 	Buffalo Sabres 	60
34 	Axel Holmstrom 	C 	Detroit Red Wings 	NR
35 	Travis Sanheim 	D 	Philadelphia Flyers 	100
36 	Josh Ho-Sang 	C 	New York Islanders 	84
37 	Ivan Barbashev 	C 	St. Louis Blues 	67
38 	Oliver Bjorkstrand 	RW 	Columbus Blue Jackets 	86
39 	Brendan Perlini 	LW 	Arizona Coyotes 	38
40 	Nick Schmaltz 	C 	Chicago Blackhawks 	HM
41 	Shea Theodore 	D 	Anaheim Ducks 	NR
42 	Steven Santini 	D 	New Jersey Devils 	56
43 	Chris Bigras 	D 	Colorado Avalanche 	47
44 	Nikolay Goldobin 	RW 	San Jose Sharks 	HM
45 	Madison Bowey 	D 	Washington Capitals 	97
46 	Robert Hagg 	D 	Philadelphia Flyers 	88
47 	Michael Matheson 	D 	Florida Panthers 	63
48 	Julius Honka 	D 	Dallas Stars 	NR
49 	Nikita Scherbak 	RW 	Montreal Canadiens 	92
50 	Nick Ritchie 	LW 	Anaheim Ducks 	68

1. William Nylander, C, Toronto Maple Leafs (previous ranking: 4)
Current team: Toronto Marlies (AHL) | 2014-15 stats: 21 GP 8 G 12 A
DOB: 5-1-96 | Draft: No. 8, 2014

The top group were all close for me, and I would not say that putting Nylander No. 1 was an easy call. I leaned toward him because he stands out. His skill level is unique, his play in Sweden this year has been unique, the way he weaves through the neutral zone and gains the blue line effortlessly is unique. He's by no means a perfect player -- he has to improve his play off the puck and get a lot stronger -- but the upside is quite tantalizing.

2. Sam Reinhart, C, Buffalo Sabres (previous ranking: 5)
Current team: Kootenay Ice (WHL) | 2014-15 stats: 15 GP 8 G 19 A
DOB: 11-06-95 | Draft: No. 2, 2014

You'll watch a bunch of Reinhart and never see a ton of "wow" moments, but then you try to remember the last time he made a bad mistake, or the time he wasn't out there in a high-leverage situation, and then you notice he's racked up a ton of points. His game is effortless, yet highly effective; he's a brilliant hockey player who gets a lot done without blazing speed or a huge frame.

3. Nikolaj Ehlers, LW, Winnipeg Jets (previous ranking: 6)
Current team: Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL) | 2014-15 stats: 24 GP 19 G 32 A
DOB: 2-14-96 | Draft: No. 14, 2014

When talking about Ehlers, it's easy to wonder what a player with a 5-foot-11, 175-pound frame will be able to do, but when you watch him, he alleviates most of those concerns. His skating is ridiculous, his skill level very high, and while he can create individual chances for himself, he's a very high-level passer as well. He's a potential game-changing forward.

4. Sam Bennett, C, Calgary Flames (previous ranking: 3)
Current team: Kingston Frontenacs (OHL) | 2014-15 stats: 0 GP 0 G 0 A
DOB: 6-20-96 | Draft: No. 4, 2014

Not much has changed with Bennett since the draft, other than he had an impressive NHL camp and an injury has kept him out since that time. His pre-draft scouting report can be found here.

5. Max Domi, C/W, Arizona Coyotes (previous ranking: 27)
Current team: London Knights (OHL) | 2014-15 stats: 27 GP 17 G 41 A
DOB: 3-2-95 | Draft: No. 12, 2013

He's his father's son without the puck, but when he does have it, he's as fun a prospect to watch as there is out there. Domi's creativity and offensive IQ are through the roof, he makes plays you don't see many players even think of trying, and he does it at a high speed in difficult situations. He's got some grit to him, too, and has significantly improved his defensive play.

calder

Pronman partially redeemed himself by grading all the teams based on the play of their prospects at the WJC. It's a giant list but here's a partial summary.

Jets A
Sabres A
Red Wings A-
Canadiens A-
Blue Jackets A-
Rangers A-
Coyotes B+
Sharks B+
Oilers B+
Ducks B+
Senators B+
Predators B+

Teams below B+ should just be contracted IMO.

Pronman partially redeemed himself by grading all the teams based on the play of their prospects at the WJC. It's a giant list but here's a partial summary.

Jets A
Sabres A
Red Wings A-
Canadiens A-
Blue Jackets A-
Rangers A-
Coyotes B+
Sharks B+
Oilers B+
Ducks B+
Senators B+
Predators B+

Teams below B+ should just be contracted IMO.

You just said that the Oilers and Coyotes should be spared
SgYahwF.png

calder

Hicketts, Bigras, Point, Santini and Hagg above Morin (and a few of them above Sanheim) is wrong.

31. Joe Hicketts, D, Detroit Red Wings (previous ranking: Not eligible)
Current team: Victoria Royals (WHL) | 2014-15 stats: 31 GP 8 G 30 A
DOB: 5-4-96 | Draft: Undrafted

Before I started the first of many versions of this ranking, the first question I pondered was, "where do I slot little Joe Hicketts?" He's a 5-8 defenseman who went undrafted just six months ago, and up through September was not even in an NHL organization. Now, he's a top 50 prospect. I can see the pitchforks already.

Here's the reasoning: The best players in a draft class tend to be the best players in an age group. From last year at two under-18 tournaments, to playing well in an injury-shortened season, dominating the WHL this season and playing well as an under-age player at the WJC, Hicketts has shown himself to be one of the very best 1996 birth dates. He's a very good skater, with above-average skill and shooting abilities, and despite his size, he was the only Canadian defenseman to be used regularly on both the power play and penalty kill at the WJC. He's very effective defensively, despite his size.

The main counter-argument will be the size issue, and whether he can continue to be effective against the best (and biggest) players in the world. That is incorporated in this ranking, it just doesn't kill him because frankly, the size issue is somewhat overvalued in player evaluations. Small defensemen can play and play well in the NHL if they have a dynamic skill set. Hicketts certainly fits that description.

35. Travis Sanheim, D, Philadelphia Flyers (previous ranking: 100)
Current team: Calgary Hitmen | 2014-15 stats: 36 GP 10 G 22 A
DOB: 3-29-96 | Draft: No. 17, 2014

Sanheim is trending dramatically upward, and he's looked much better on a scouting scale this season. He skates well, is a skilled puck handler who gets it up the ice well and has a big frame (6-3, 181 pounds). He's no slouch defensively, as he can be quite effective there, although there are still some raw elements in his reads that pop up from time to time. Limiting mistakes is the key to Sanheim's development right now.

42. Steven Santini, D, New Jersey Devils (previous ranking: 56)
Current team: Boston College (NCAA) | 2014-15 stats: 5 GP 1 G 1 A
DOB: 3-7-95 | Draft: No. 42, 2013

The (extreme at times) lack of points has been a giant red flag for Santini, but when you watch him, it's hard not to think highly of the player. He's so smart, skates well, works his tail off, and has a great physical game. He projects to have no offensive impact in the NHL in all likelihood; instead, he'll be a tough-minutes, defensive zone type of defenseman, with an extensive role on the penalty kill.

43. Chris Bigras, D, Colorado Avalanche (previous ranking: 47)
Current team: Owen Sound Attack (OHL) | 2014-15 stats: 36 GP 12 G 29 A
DOB: 2-22-95 | Draft: No. 32, 2013

Bigras was flying high last season: He nearly made the Avs out of camp, was an under-age player on Canada's under-20 team, and seemed to show an effortless two-way game even if the offense wasn't there. This season, he was an early cut from both Colorado and Canada's camps, and although his offense has spiked, scouts I've talked to have exhibited some concerns in his play. It's tough to balance all these factors, especially since in the few live viewings I've seen of Bigras this season, I thought he's played great.

46. Robert Hagg, D, Philadelphia Flyers (previous ranking: 88)
Current team: Lehigh Valley Phantoms (AHL) | 2014-15 stats: 32 GP 3 G 11 A
DOB: 2-8-95 | Draft: No. 41, 2013

Hagg has been very good for a under-20 defenseman playing in the AHL, especially as he's filled a bigger offensive role after Shayne Gostisbehere went down with a serious injury. Sweden's WJC coach Rikard Gronborg described him as a "solid two-way defenseman who plays great in his own end, makes good decisions and has a sledgehammer for a shot."

Personally, i have zero opinion of all these guys.

Ya'll just salty that Hicketts is small and went undrafted and we signed him as an FA. Ya'll also salty because our prospect pool is awesome and we didn't have to completely suck to get those players. So suck it!

zroid

Banned
This is funny (via PPP):

Leafs' record over Carlyle's last four games: 1-3-0; 2pts
Leafs' recover over Horachek's first four games: 1-3-0; 2pts

Leafs' goals for and against over Carlyle's last four games: 7 GF, 14 GA, -7 differential
Leafs' goals for and against over Horachek's first four games:7 GF, 14 GA, -7 differential

Leafs shots for and against over Carlyle's last four games:100 SF, 138 SA, -38 differential
Leafs shots for and against over Horachek's first four games:112 SF, 91 SA, +21 differential

Leafs sh% and sv% over Carlyle's last four games: 7% shooting, .899 sv%
Leafs sh% and sv% over Horachek's first four games: 6.25% shooting, .846 sv%

Samyy

My prospect got shafted on "X" guys meaningless list so "X" guy is an idiot
None of these rankings mean shit all, ya'll gotta relax.

Merguson

Banned
Oh my. Leafs have lost 3 of 4 now after the firing, right? If they lose to San Jose and St. Louis this will get ugly. They can't hope to make the playoffs losing these kinds of games. Toronto will NOT go on some 15-4 streak to squeak in.

It would be so nice if Toronto won the lottery.

We are not in the playoff picture. We are at the cap ceiling. This isn't simply a team you can be satisfied with.

Squeaking in with our cap situation? I would rather we go the other direction. Just take this team in a different direction. Do a rebuild.

Clarkson's contract? Won't matter in a rebuild. You've got 5 years left after this season. You can start looking to dump it after 3 years.

Top Bottom