• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2015 |OT| A team wearing the Maple Leaf won something at the ACC

zroid

Banned
Compared to Pronman? Just lol...

I don't know much about Pronman. People whom I follow on Twitter seem to think he knows his stuff. If you notice, I haven't actually commented about the validity of Pronman's rankings at all, so I wasn't comparing them. However I've listened to Button enough on TSN to know he's a dummy.

Samyy

Wow, really? Who do you think is going to be a bust in that list?

By bust I mean they won't ever reach their potential, like for instance, if Nylander is projected as a future top six NHLer, and he ends up on a 3rd line getting 35 points a year - thats a bust.

Theres probably a good # of NHLers on the list but that doesn't mean they'll all end up being great players, which the lists imply. Some will be worse then players who haven't been ranked at all on these lists.

zroid

Banned
We are not in the playoff picture. We are at the cap ceiling. This isn't simply a team you can be satisfied with.

Squeaking in with our cap situation? I would rather we go the other direction. Just take this team in a different direction. Do a rebuild.

Clarkson's contract? Won't matter in a rebuild. You've got 5 years left after this season. You can start looking to dump it after 3 years.

I'd rather wait and see how this season plays out before talking about rebuilding and such... I don't have the playoffs in mind but I think these first few games under Horachek have been promising so I wanna see how it unfolds.

I'm just concerned they're going to unload Franson at the deadline and he's a pretty core piece right now... I really want him to get signed before the off-season, but it's looking increasingly unlikely. :(

Samyy

I love all the doom & gloom on the radio regarding the Leafs recent play.
God what short memories people have. We were not making the playoffs this year, regardless. I can't believe the world is falling on Leafs Nation because they lost 2 games in California, do these idiots never learn? What did they think was going to be different this year with same coach and players?

If people can't handle being patient for like 10 games before writing off this new system or whatever, I can't wait to see how depressed all these buffoons get during a proper 4-5 year rebuild.

Why I'm happy about all the recent changes:
- More sustainable way to play
- Better coaching for our younger players.
- Now that you can evaluate the players away from Carlyle you get a better sense of who they are, their actual value.
- Can potentially even improve trade value considering how much of an idiot Carlyle is.
- Gardiner and Rielly have both looked better over the last stretch.

Also Fiala is coming to the AHL as well.

Samyy

The team in need of a rebuild is New Jersey, Toronto should probably just move some guys.

It depends, hard to find a #1C and D without tanking.
Don't really trust our scouts to find them in the later rounds given our drafting history.

If we're going to take 4-5 years finding those players, Kessel will be 31-32 and Dion will be like 35-36?

Makes sense to move on from those guys for that reason.

Yawnier

Banned
If another team wants to sign Franson for Niskanen type $$$, they can have him.

For the 15-16 season onward are we going to see the Franson from this season, or the Franson from last season?

I got a Monster Hunter Code from a friend.

iqpRpgZCSpjeB_zpsm5p8i2nx.gif

I'll give some to NHL GAF when i get my Email.

zroid

Banned
I love all the doom & gloom on the radio regarding the Leafs recent play.

Even aside from the superficial analysis (which is the norm), a lot of people are talking about how the Leafs got "zero chances" to score against Anaheim, while they were constantly all over us. It was probably the Leafs' worst game under Horachek, but they still had a fair number of good chances, and all three goals against Bernier were kind of under bizarre circumstances. I don't even know what happened on the 3rd one, Perry seemed to materialize inside the Leafs' zone. Some people think it might've been offside, but anyway it was an unusual breakaway. Basically, sometimes it feels like I was watching a different game from the ones the radio dudes were.

Samyy

Even aside from the superficial analysis (which is the norm), a lot of people are talking about how the Leafs got "zero chances" to score against Anaheim, while they were constantly all over us. It was probably the Leafs' worst game under Horachek, but they still had a fair number of good chances, and all three goals against Bernier were kind of under bizarre circumstances. I don't even know what happened on the 3rd one, Perry seemed to materialize inside the Leafs' zone. Some people think it might've been offside, but anyway it was an unusual breakaway. Basically, sometimes it feels like I was watching a different game from the ones the radio dudes were.

Well Hayes said it himself, "we're radio guys, entertainers" they play to their audience.

Samyy

Samyy you're getting too worked up over this.

Focus your anger on Feschuk.

I've deleted Feschuk from my mind ala Simmons
I'll forever hate hockey twitter from tweeting about those assholes because otherwise I forget they exist.

Well like not everyone that listens must think that way, but I do feel like a large amount of the fanbase that they interact with must.

The Caps game yesterday was so bad.

Had the nerve to say that Backstrom was under appreciated by fans in Washington and that everyone around the league knows how good he his.

Yet, he's never played in an All-Star Game...

Edit: I have Mon Hun codes.

zroid

Banned
Well if we can learn anything from this year's ASG, it's that all you need is to host and you're pretty much guaranteed to get a ton of All-Stars.

Leonsis better start lobbying to host one soon!

Razorskin

----- ------
Tokarski is starting tonight

Good, would've shook my head at Therrien playing Price back-to-back.

Well if we can learn anything from this year's ASG, it's that all you need is to host and you're pretty much guaranteed to get a ton of All-Stars.

Well Nashville is getting next year's All-Star game and the Leafs will probably host the 2017 one for their 50 year cup drought anniversary.

Samyy

The Caps game yesterday was so bad.

Had the nerve to say that Backstrom was under appreciated by fans in Washington and that everyone around the league knows how good he his.

Yet, he's never played in an All-Star Game...

Edit: I have Mon Hun codes.

Mon Hun pls?
I've never played before!

I'm also pretty interested to see how Mark Hunter + Dubas affect our drafting + FA targets in the summer. Hopefully we can find a 2nd pick for the draft.

The Capitals are just the seventh NHL team to welcome the Winter Classic, but Washington D.C. is also one of five NHL cities to never host an All-Star game. Sure, the Capitals hosted in 1982 in Landover, Md., but the event has never come into the nation’s capital. Speaking to season ticket holders Tuesday night at Verizon Center, answering a fan’s question about bringing the All-Star game here, deputy commissioner Bill Daly offered an encouraging response.

“I would say, in the foreseeable future, yes,” Daly said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...sted-nhl-all-star-game-could-be-in-line-soon/

wIRCML4.gif

Corey Perry breakaway also surprised me. Media made it seem like Getzlaf made a great pass when he was just trying to clear it, then Perry appeared out of nowhere to get the puck. Can't tell if he was offsides from the camera shot.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Nylander at 1 seems a little high, but it's only one guys rankings. I've read good things and bad things about Pronman, it's nice to read his opinions throughout the season though and see how players change.

I remember when Button had Dumba number two overall going into the draft and number one at times during the year.

:lol
Button is a complete idiot. He also said Fucale is the most impressive goalie prospect he's ever seen at the time he was drafted. I'd rather pay a chimp to randomly select my draft order.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Man, had to work late for the first time in what feels like forever. Should hopefully only miss the first 5-10 minutes, though.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I do like that Kreider finally looks like his speedy dangerous self again over the last couple weeks.

Rask is looking like he's going to be hard to beat tonight.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if we can get so dominated in the faceoff dot tonight that we slip into 30th place in the league. Came into the game 1.1% ahead of Buffalo.

Top Bottom