• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2015 |OT| A team wearing the Maple Leaf won something at the ACC

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I don't understand why Galchenyuk doesn't stay at center, I mean stop taking him away from there and just deal with it. I swear Therrien coaches like he's consulting a medium. He said he's a gambler, he coaches like one.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand why Galchenyuk doesn't stay at center, I mean stop taking him away from there and just deal with it. I swear Therrien coaches like he's consulting a medium. He said he's a gambler, he coaches like one.

His go-to move to improve things is putting Dale Weise on the top line, that should tell you all you need to know about Therrien.

Quick

Banned
Apparently teams have called about Kessel
RIP Kave!

giphy.gif

Cake Boss

Banned
If I were the Laffs I would do that Seth Jones plus 1st rounder deal for Kessel :lol

I double Nashville gives up that much for him though.

It's more like Ryan Ellis plus 1st plus Craig Smith.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
He's a terrible coach who's only strategy is to change lines any time things aren't going good. How does he expect anyone to get comfortable with each other if he can't keep a line intact for more than 3 games? Play Galchenyuk at C and let him get through the growing pains now so he's ready for next season. Therrien is an awful development coach, and is wasting seasons of our best players. So frustrating because he's not going anywhere as long as Price is the goalie.

zroid

Banned
Nathan MacKinnon is a great example. He only has eight goals on 136 shots, but sits eighth in the NHL in individual scoring chance opportunities at 5v5 (111). That puts him ahead of Tyler Seguin (110), Claude Giroux (106) and Patrick Kane (100). But he is only shooting 4.5 percent at 5v5. Last year, across both the regular season and playoffs, he shot 8.9% at 5v5. Expect him to rebound production wise.

Good news for Avs fans, maybe... I mean you can call it karma for last season if you want, but 4.5% is horribad. Mac is gonna go on a tear soon I bet.

Bergevin loves his expiring contracts

On that note, I saw some discussion on twitter about a Phaneuf for Gonchar trade. I'm pretty sure you would hate that, but on the other hand, Phaneuf would definitely help the habs if used as a 2nd pair guy. His contract would be horrible long term, but if Bergevin really thinks he can win now...

Red_Man

Therrien said this morning that A.Gally wanted to be put back at wing lmao

Fuck yourself Therrien, you old bag of shit.

On that note, I saw some discussion on twitter about a Phaneuf for Gonchar trade. I'm pretty sure you would hate that, but on the other hand, Phaneuf would definitely help the habs if used as a 2nd pair guy. His contract would be horrible long term, but if Bergevin really thinks he can win now...
Phaneuf would be a great 2nd pairing guy, but there is no way Bergevin or any other GM who has half a brain is paying a 2nd pairing guy his salary. He's getting paid #1-2 money, and Bergevin isn't focused on winning now. He's repeatedly said since he came here he's going to build this team through the draft and with youth and he's stood by it. Talking on Phaneuf's contract hampers their cap situation which he just cleaned up after Gautheir fucked this team.

Good news for Avs fans, maybe... I mean you can call it karma for last season if you want, but 4.5% is horribad. Mac is gonna go on a tear soon I bet.

He fumbles so many opportunities. He did the same shit during the first part of last season and I thought it was just nerves, it's been happening all this year though. I hope he can figure it out next year.

zroid

Banned
He fumbles so many opportunities. He did the same shit during the first part of last season and I thought it was just nerves, it's been happening all this year though. I hope he can figure it out next year.

He should, the kid has way too much talent to shoot such a low %. Maybe it won't happen this year, but the fact he is getting so many scoring chances (which is the "hard part", if you will), the finishing should right itself soon enough.

Phaneuf would be a great 2nd pairing guy, but there is no way Bergevin or any other GM who has half a brain is paying a 2nd pairing guy his salary. He's getting paid #1-2 money, and Bergevin isn't focused on winning now. He's repeatedly said since he came here he's going to build this team through the draft and with youth and he's stood by it. Talking on Phaneuf's contract hampers their cap situation which he just cleaned up after Gautheir fucked this team.

Ya I wouldn't do it if I were the Habs GM, but then I think they still have some work to do to be considered contenders. Bergevin is a smart guy though, probably wouldn't buy in to ECF last year and their record this year so easily.

Red_Man

Ya I wouldn't do it if I were the Habs GM, but then I think they still have some work to do to be considered contenders. Bergevin is a smart guy though, probably wouldn't buy in to ECF last year and their record this year so easily.
Besides Therrien being gone, they need AGally at C, Beaulieu / Tinordi getting top 4 minutes, and a top 6 winger who can score 25-30 goals for them to be a long term contender.The first two have been a work in progress, and I'm confident Bergevin will find his winger by the deadline or next off season. None of this matters with Therrien here though, he couldn't out coach a monkey.

Aside from McDavid (duh) there are four draft eligible players putting up at least 1.3 aaPPG in the CHL. Marner, Strome, Merkley and Beauvillier

List of players who scored at least 1.3 aaPPG in the CHL during their draft eligble year since 2011:
Sidney Crosby
Sam Gagner
Patrick Kane
Evander Kane
Taylor Hall
John Tavares
Derrick Brassard
Steven Stamkos
Jonathan Huberdeau
Ryan Strome
Tyler Seguin
Bobby Ryan
Sean Couturier
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Bryan Little
Gilbert Brule

Gilbert Brule aside, that's a damn nice list.

tldr: Draft one of Marner, Strome, or Merkley and then get a late 1st for Beauvillier plz Leafs.

With how the Flyers are for standings, I could see them easily going for Marner.

Marner-Giroux-Voracek would be insanity.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
So, Avs fans. I think this has been asked before, but if there was a do over, would any of you choose Jones over Mac?

Considering the biggest issue there now is defense...

zroid

Banned
I really want Marner. And not just cause he's from Markham! :p

Hope the GMs who pick before Nonis Shanahan overvalue size

zroid

Banned
Is it the offseason/draft thread time already?

It's always that time for some of us

Marner and Nylander, you cray cray.

But yeah I value Marner much higher than Crouse and Zacha.

It could work... Nylander and Marner are both C/RWs so they could essentially play dual roles as needed on the same line

future pipe dream lines:

Panik-Kadri-Kessel
JVR-Nylander-Marner
Komarov-Holland-Brown
Winnik-Gauthier-x

So, Avs fans. I think this has been asked before, but if there was a do over, would any of you choose Jones over Mac?

Considering the biggest issue there now is defense...

I think it's way too soon to tell, but right now I'm still happy with the choice. Having Jones would've addressed our most immediate issue, but we still probably would've lost Stastny and O'Reilly has been less than stellar since getting that contract he so desperately needed. If that's a sign of things to come from him we need to sell high and thank god Mac is here cause Duchene can't carry us. As much as I like him.

It'll be a few years until I can definitively say if I think it was a mistake or not, after Bigras and Siemens have some time in the league. And obviously, knowing where Mac's true ceiling actually is would help.

Samyy

It's always that time for some of us

It could work... Nylander and Marner are both C/RWs so they could essentially play dual roles as needed on the same line

future pipe dream lines:

Winnik-Kadri-Kessel
JVR-Nylander-Marner
Komarov-Holland-Brown
x-Gauthier-x

I think he was more concerned with the fact that, without any in-depth analysis, just based on offensive production, size - you might consider them to be somewhat similar players.

zroid

Banned
I think he was more concerned with the fact that, without any in-depth analysis, just based on offensive production, size - you might consider them to be somewhat similar players.

Ahhh, I don't mind that though

It's better to draft offense-first guys high and fill in the defensive or two-way roles as needed. It's tough to get legit 2-way players.

Calamari41

41 > 38
So will there be fights at the Kings v. Ducks game tonight?

Will the fights be on the ice or in the stands. Or both?

Game is at Staples... Kings fans in the building will have a hard enough time remembering which color team on the ice is theirs, much less being able to focus on which other fans are fans of their team.

The Kings fans that show up to the Pond, however, are the true ex-con Kings fans in from Riverside and East LA.

Top Bottom