• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2015 |OT| A team wearing the Maple Leaf won something at the ACC

Spl1nter

Sounds like the Heritage Classic next year in Winnipeg is going to get postponed because the NHL and the Blue Bombers can't work out a date to play it on.

How is that even possible, CFL is over before the start of December and doesn't begin until..... no idea, its the CFL.

calder

How is that even possible, CFL is over before the start of December and doesn't begin until..... no idea, its the CFL.

The Grey Cup is here.

Now, ask how the Grey Cup being hosted here November 29th mean they can't/won't have the stadium ready for something else a few weeks later and watch the Blue Bombers stammer and haruph and eventually push a tip jar across the table and look down at their feet.

Gary Motherfuckin' Lawless said:
The Bombers viewed the events being held so close together as a potential issue for the CFL’s showcase weekend fearing the hockey game would overshadow the football game and cannibalize both ticket sales and corporate sponsorship.

Outdoor games such as the Winter and Heritage Classic are NHL-owned events. They secure the venue, pay for the cost of hosting the event and reap any profits.

The Bombers would simply collect a rental fee for the hockey game, with the Grey Cup having much more potential for profit.

A well-run and successful Grey Cup can generate millions of dollars for the host franchise. Miller’s mandate as CEO of the Bombers must be to protect that revenue first and foremost.

The Bombers proposed the game be played in February but with the caveat the NHL picks up the cost of heating the stadium over the winter months.

Bolded the "no, really, fuck RIGHT off" part.

Spl1nter

Yep, makes no sense how an event around December 19/20 would affect the Grey Cup. Just throwing out that date as 3rd weekend in December.

Quick

Banned
Bombers think they have the upper hand. NHL could easily just say "lol ok bye."

I wonder if there's actually space available in Winnipeg for the NHL to put up a rink and seating space. Probably some legal issues erecting a giant temporary outdoor venue that would hold 30,000.

calder

Kave's hockey updates are my new favourite thing in this thread. Keep then coming! :D

Don't tell him, because he's a dirty dirty Leafs fan, but his learning hockey posts are legit inspiring and warm the cockles of my ice cold heart. I seriously smile every time, they are just so honestly pleasing to read.

calder

Minnesota Wild
@mnwild
BREAKING: #mnwild to play a 2015 preseason game against #oilers in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan: ow.ly/HEANR pic.twitter.com/XAkVjPXKKU

Translation: "hey Skatchy dirtbags, come see Connor McDavid play!"

calder

Winnipeg Heritage Classic pushed back a year officially. sad trombone.

McDavid will be a Sabre, not an Oiler.

God I hope so. I actually don't like what the Sabres have done either - there's a fine line between "rebuilding from scratch" and "obvious tank job" and the Sabres sure crossed that line. But I'd HATE for the Oilers to be rewarded yet again even more.

Honestly, I hope a team that barely misses the playoffs wins the lottery.

Socreges

Banned
God I hope so. I actually don't like what the Sabres have done either - there's a fine line between "rebuilding from scratch" and "obvious tank job" and the Sabres sure crossed that line. But I'd HATE for the Oilers to be rewarded yet again even more.

Honestly, I hope a team that barely misses the playoffs wins the lottery.
Sounds like you want him to be a Canuck, calder! I always knew you harboured some love for us!

calder

Sounds like you want him to be a Canuck, calder! I always knew you harboured some love for us!

Please, you guys are making it.

chancesn9ret.jpg

I'm a week or so at most from writing off the Wild and Avs.

It is true that the McDavid lottery is going to be really tough for bitter old cranks people like me who actively hate 24-27 teams at any time.

zroid

Banned
It is true that the McDavid lottery is going to be really tough for bitter old cranks people like me who actively hate 24-27 teams at any time.

D':

The only teams I hate are the Bruins (for obvious reasons) and the Kings (because fuck the Kings). I'm apathetic to the Canes, Yotes, Panthers, and Stars. I like everyone else.

I used to not care for the Perds, but that turned a corner this year.

zroid

Banned
Chart Time™:

TNPaoVa.png

Cody Franson and Dion Phaneuf play among the toughest mins in the league. Impressive that Franson still has a positive relative possession rating. Can't say the same for Phaneuf unfortunately. He would probably fare much better in a 2nd pairing role.

Please, you guys are making it.

chancesn9ret.jpg

I'm a week or so at most from writing off the Wild and Avs.

No way San Jose or LA misses the playoffs. Dallas, Colorado, and Minnesota could easily turn it around (I'm less confident in Colorado).

Canucks play 16 games in March. That will be brutal for their older lineup.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So apparently in addition to the 3 scouts we had at the last Leafs game, we had 2 scouts watching them play the Kings.

According to LeBrun, the Rangers are looking for a bottom six forward who can play on the wing or at center. Makes sense, I guess.

Quick

Banned
So apparently in addition to the 3 scouts we had at the last Leafs game, we had 2 scouts watching them play the Kings.

According to LeBrun, the Rangers are looking for a bottom six forward who can play on the wing or at center. Makes sense, I guess.

Sounds like the Rangers are looking for Good Mimico Kids.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

That narrows it down to the entire Leafs forward group.

Cake Boss

Banned

Is it true that Kreider is on the block?

Marvie_3

Banned

Bryan Bickell would be perfect for the Rangers.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Haven't heard anything about it, but it seems like a stretch. The return would have to be really damn good. He hasn't had a great season so far, but he has been coming on pretty well in the past couple of weeks and looking more like the physical force he should be. I don't think he's untouchable the way he has been in years past, but I still wouldn't expect to see him go unless it's part of a really major deal.

I could see players like John Moore or maybe even Hagelin or Zuccarello being put out there for the right price (I don't see Zuccarello being re-signed before he goes UFA, even though he deserves a long term deal, given the huge payday that is in line for Stepan and having to deal with signing MSL to a new deal). Though even they would have to bring pretty big returns. The Rangers believe they can make another Cup run this year, so they'll be buyers.

Looks like I'm going to be fired from my job this friday.

As soon as I got back to work from out of rehab, they put me on a 'work performance improvement plan'. And then kept changing the goal posts. This friday is the 4 week period in which they reviewed it, and I know for certain they're going to deem it unsatisfactory.

Tricky way to fire a person who used to be a junkie, I guess. But that's what corporate enterprise do.

It's a public holiday this monday though. So I'm calling in sick on Friday, then on Tuesday handing in notice before the meeting.

You can't fire me, I quit.

Ursn

As soon as I got back to work from out of rehab, they put me on a 'work performance improvement plan'. And then kept changing the goal posts. This friday is the 4 week period in which they reviewed it, and I know for certain they're going to deem it unsatisfactory.

Tricky way to fire a person who used to be a junkie, I guess. But that's what corporate enterprise do.

It's a public holiday this monday though. So I'm calling in sick on Friday, then on Tuesday handing in notice before the meeting.

That sucks. Today they let us know they're shutting down this whole location and we're all getting let go on March 27th with severance packages at least.

Acid08

Banned

Yikes dude, that sounds super shitty. Your employer can get fucked.

That sucks. Today they let us know they're shutting down this whole location and we're all getting let go on March 27th with severance packages at least.
Sorry to hear that man, hope you find something else soon!

Marvie_3

Banned

That's the spirit! They can't fire you, electric blue.

izrYq8HE72ANK.gif

Best Marvie :lol

I started applying for jobs yesterday and got two callbacks already this morning. I shouldn't be out for long.

Just bad timing since I'm moving apartments next weekend and have to pay bond and rent in full.

Quick

Banned

That's terrible news, Dastardly. I'm very sorry to hear about this.

Throw a jersey on the floor with your notice.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

This is a shitty thing to do. Sorry to hear this.

RC

Banned

Stick it to the man!

Clydefrog

You being healthy is the important thing to remember. Fuck that old job!

Stasis

Highly doubt that, but I'm really not sure what direction the Rangers are going to take now.

Some key players need to be re-signed and we still have some needs for a real cup run. All that without a 1st this year... though two 2nds in a supposedly deep draft. I don't know what the plan is at all. We got lucky with Hayes (so far, we'll see) and we have two potentially great players coming in Duclair and Buchnevich but I still don't want them giving away all our f'n picks. We won't be lucky every year and eventually the pipeline will be dry.

I'd like to keep Kreids and Hags. That whole "holy shit the Rangers are fast" thing has a lot to do with those two. They're a big part of our identity even if they don't put up big numbers and haven't been amazing this year. It's average for Hags, less than expected from Kreids.

Basically I want things but don't want to pay for them. Like French Canadians say: "Tu veux l'beurre pis l'argent du beurre!" lol.

edit:

Holy shit fuck yeah justified tonight

/faps

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of neutral zone play so far. That last shift was a really strong one for the third line. They've been the most noticeable group for either side so far.

Top Bottom