• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2015 |OT| A team wearing the Maple Leaf won something at the ACC

DeadlyBitterBorer.gif

It makes me wonder what he said. Probably a Racial slur.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like all the results went our way tonight. Bummer the Pens and Caps both picked up loser points, though. For a few brief seconds there we were in second place in the Metropolitan division.

For now, though, it's:

Islanders - 63 pts, 46 GP
Penguins - 59 pts, 45 GP
Rangers - 58 pts, 44 GP
Capitals - 57 pts, 46 GP
...and then a loooooong way back to...
Blue Jackets - 43 pts, 44 GP

Exciting race we've got going here, but it would be nice if it was a little less nerve-wracking. Please stop winning, other teams.

One week off for the Rangers now, but we come back from the break with a couple of doozies. At the Islanders and then at home against the Canadiens.

Oh, and 16 out of 19 ain't too bad.

Looks like all the results went our way tonight. Bummer the Pens and Caps both picked up loser points, though. For a few brief seconds there we were in second place in the Metropolitan division.

For now, though, it's:

Islanders - 63 pts, 46 GP
Penguins - 59 pts, 45 GP
Rangers - 58 pts, 44 GP
Capitals - 57 pts, 46 GP
...and then a loooooong way back to...
Blue Jackets - 43 pts, 44 GP

Exciting race we've got going here, but it would be nice if it was a little less nerve-wracking. Please stop winning, other teams.

One week off for the Rangers now, but we come back from the break with a couple of doozies. At the Islanders and then at home against the Canadiens.

I'd want to play the Islanders TBH but I don't see them dropping and I don't want to be a WC team.

As long as we don't play the goddamn Rangers again.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Riberio is so salty :lol complaining about the penalty that was called back even though it wasn't a legit call. Cry more Riberio.

So apparently there's an NBA team called the New Orleans Pelicans.

Mind blown

Also what a SHITTY name.

I did some research into this a while ago out of curiosity, because I heard a story about a players wife killing herself and he came home to it.

Pelicans are an important part of New Orleans. For some reason.

Good luck Dastardly, hopefully you nail them all.

Thanks sexy! I hope awesome things come your way shortly and swiftly.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Anyone watch the new Larry Wilmore show? I've never been a big fan of the side segments the Daily Show does so I don't have high expectations for it.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Paulina Gretzky got a child?

18 years until the legacy begins

.. or ends for sure

Montresor

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/management-failures-at-heart-of-current-leaf-state-1.187809

I'm not sure if this was posted here yet. I'm laughing and sighing in disbelief and dismay as I read through that article. I just got through the 2013 and it is shocking how awful Leafs management has been.This organization doesn't deserve its financial success or its fanbase. They don't deserve me as a fan.

Here are some delicious snippets from the article:

Jonas Siegel said:
2007: Sitting just outside a playoff spot in late February, the Leafs opted to shore up their depth down the middle. They swung a trade to land Yanic Perrault (again) from Phoenix, surrendering a second round pick that later became Roman Josi, now on a top pairing with Shea Weber in Nashville.

2008: In his first summer (back) in charge, Fletcher fired Maurice and proceeded with two horrific signings. Jeff Finger, who had played one full season in the NHL, was signed for four years at a head-scratching $3.5 million per season. Finger was placed on waivers less than three years later, finishing his Toronto tenure in the AHL.

Continuing an ugly trend of decisions made in an interim capacity that winter, Fletcher opted to send former first rounder Alex Steen (and Carlo Colaiacovo) to St. Louis for Lee Stempniak. Stempniak hadn't scored more than 20 goals in a few years and never has again. He was eventually traded to Calgary.

Steen, meanwhile, went on to great success as a Blue, scoring 33 goals last season.

2009: A few months after the Kessel trade, Burke parted with another first rounder, sending Jiri Tlusty to Carolina for Philippe Paradis. Tlusty evolved into a role player for the Hurricanes, Paradis still yet to make the NHL and is no longer part of the Leafs organization.

2010: The top pick that June (a second round selection), Brad Ross, was just suspended by the AHL, testing positive for a banned substance.

2011: Continuing a trend of awful free agent signings, Burke landed Tim Connolly from Buffalo on a two-year deal shortly after the draft. Connolly was mostly a ghost in one season as a Leaf, demoted to the Marlies the following year and yet to be heard from again.

2012: Carlyle talked about restoring respect to the Leafs brand, talked about turning the tides of a porous defensive team. It never happened. The Leafs ended a lengthy playoff dry spell under his watch, but were amongst the worst defensive teams in the NHL during his tenure.

He was fired earlier this month.

While John-Michael Liles sat with a concussion, the club signed him to a four-year deal worth more than $15 million. Liles had played in less than 30 games as a Leaf (positively for the most part), but in spite of that short window, not to mention the concussion, the club decided to lock him up long-term.

They would quickly regret the decision. Liles never fit under the new head coach, was briefly assigned to the Marlies and then traded to Carolina for another bad contract. The Leafs then bought out that contract (Tim Gleason) and will have it on the books until the end of the 2018 season.

2013: Leiweke, who hadn't hired Nonis, handed him a five-year extension anyway.

The freed up money [Note from Montresor: from Grabovski and Komisarek buyouts] was used to re-sign Tyler Bozak to a five-year deal and then David Clarkson to an exorbitant seven-year deal.

"If we wanted to get in on a player like David Clarkson, that was the price-tag for us to pay," Nonis said on the day of the signing. "I'm not worried about [years] six and seven right now. I'm worried about one [year] and year one I know we're going to have a very good player."

2014: The club announced the hiring of Brendan Shanahan as team president just a few short days after that fate became official. Shanahan was installed to lead a front office despite having never been involved in a front office of any kind before.

Top Bottom