• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2015 |OT| A team wearing the Maple Leaf won something at the ACC

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Not sure how I completely forgot about the Tim Connolly signing. I guess the Clarkson signing just made me forget all the other terrible moves they've done in the past decade.

zroid

Banned
http://www.tsn.ca/talent/management-failures-at-heart-of-current-leaf-state-1.187809

I'm not sure if this was posted here yet. I'm laughing and sighing in disbelief and dismay as I read through that article. I just got through the 2013 and it is shocking how awful Leafs management has been.This organization doesn't deserve its financial success or its fanbase. They don't deserve me as a fan.

Here are some delicious snippets from the article:

I need to sit down for this

I don't see why we wouldn't be good next year.

If Kuemper doesn't figure things out I can't see us doing much. Either that or somebody else comes in and steals it. Dubnyk might be that guy, I guess. Possibly.

And Granlund/Coyle need to figure their stuff out. Zucker and Nino are developing at a decent pace but the other two...? Not so much.

Yay Wild! Dubnyk era is here!

Dubnyk got pulled like halfway through the game haha

Montresor

Someone should do a similar breakdown, but for successful teams. Like Detroit, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Montreal, New York Rangers.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Someone should do a similar breakdown, but for successful teams. Like Detroit, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Montreal, New York Rangers.

My guess is successful draft picks beyond the top 20, or outside the first round. Those first few Leafs drafts in that article sound really bad.

Samyy

My guess is successful draft picks beyond the top 20, or outside the first round. Those first few Leafs drafts in that article sound really bad.

Are really only consistent scout has been our Euro scout tbh
Anton Stralman, Kulemin, Gunnarsson, Rask, Steen, Stalberg, Komarov
Then the Marlies top 4 is made up of guys like Granberg, Loov, Nilsson who are all having really good seasons.
And of course, there is Andreas Johnson having a pretty damn good year in Europe right now.

In terms of NA, I can't even think of good players. Maybe Percy/Leivo/Brown will be good?

fallout

"If we wanted to get in on a player like David Clarkson, that was the price-tag for us to pay," Nonis said on the day of the signing. "I'm not worried about [years] six and seven right now. I'm worried about one [year] and year one I know we're going to have a very good player."
... I kind of get it, but that is a really frightening statement for any GM to make.

I would love to see a Detroit one and then cry every time they mention Cleary resigning and those last few years of only signing old stop-gap guys (though we still made the playoffs).

Solo

Habs are easy. We've generally drafted well (Subban and Patches in the 2nd round in 2007, Gallagher in the 5th in 2010), plus we had our own braintrust poison with Gainey and Co. which lead to us sucking, which resulted in us getting Price 5th overall in 2005 and Galchenyuk 3rd overall in 2012. The only real difference between the Habs and a lot of other teams is that we've (thankfully) turned things around REALLY fast.

zroid

Banned
... I kind of get it, but that is a really frightening statement for any GM to make.

Nonis legitimately thought the Leafs were close to being a contender after the shortened season. It's ironic because even though that's false, he made the team significantly worse in the following offseason.

Habs are easy. We've generally drafted well (Subban and Patches in the 2nd round in 2007, Gallagher in the 5th in 2010), plus we had our own braintrust poison with Gainey and Co. which lead to us sucking, which resulted in us getting Price 5th overall in 2005 and Galchenyuk 3rd overall in 2012.

Why would you leave out McDonagh?!

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Nonis legitimately thought the Leafs were close to being a contender after the shortened season. It's ironic because even though that's false, he made the team significantly worse in the following offseason.

Why would you leave out McDonagh?!

Who?

Vman

If Kuemper doesn't figure things out I can't see us doing much. Either that or somebody else comes in and steals it. Dubnyk might be that guy, I guess. Possibly.

And Granlund/Coyle need to figure their stuff out. Zucker and Nino are developing at a decent pace but the other two...? Not so much.

Dubnyk got pulled like halfway through the game haha

Oh I agree. I think no way Kuemps starts next year. We will have to go out and trade/sign for someone to start.

Red_Man

Habs have moved a lot of young players prematurely, just like the Leafs. Fortunately for us, our drafting has been so good as to make up for it. To combat the McDonagh trade, we got Patches and Gorges for Craig Rivet, which was quite the coup.

Merguson

Banned
Are really only consistent scout has been our Euro scout tbh
Anton Stralman, Kulemin, Gunnarsson, Rask, Steen, Stalberg, Komarov
Then the Marlies top 4 is made up of guys like Granberg, Loov, Nilsson who are all having really good seasons.
And of course, there is Andreas Johnson having a pretty damn good year in Europe right now.

In terms of NA, I can't even think of good players. Maybe Percy/Leivo/Brown will be good?

I suppose that's where Mark Hunter comes in.

There was a recent article about him. Essentially he was travelling all the time to scout players.

Doesn't sound like he would be the next GM if he's not spending a lot of with the Leafs as opposed to Dubas.

Conclusion: Nonis is here forever. Deal with it.

zroid

Banned
They're going to keep Nonis on board because of his reputation among other GMs in the league. Every other team will jump at his trade proposals because they'll think they're fleecing him. In reality he's not making the trade proposals so the Leafs will be the ones doing the fleecing!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Subbans is creeping the points standings among Defensemen nicely. Also is getting close to being second on the team in goals, lol.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

That's one of the big ones for the Rangers. For example:
Henrik Lundqvist - 7th round
Carl Hagelin - 6th round
Jesper Fast - 6th round
Anthony Duclair - 3rd round
Dominic Moore - 3rd round
Pavel Buchnevich - 3rd round
Derek Stepan - 2nd round

Sather also puts quite a bit of focus on signing undrafted guys. See also:
Mats Zuccarello
Dan Girardi
Cam Talbot
Ryan Haggerty
Mat Bodie
Conor Allen

And, of course, there's always the ability to poach top draft pick guys in one way or another, either via trades or signing them outright. For example:
Derick Brassard (a former CBJ 6th overall pick - came via Gaborik trade)
Kevin Hayes (a former first round pick for the Blackhawks who failed to sign there)
Ryan McDonagh (you know)

imBask

Banned
Habs are easy. We've generally drafted well (Subban and Patches in the 2nd round in 2007, Gallagher in the 5th in 2010), plus we had our own braintrust poison with Gainey and Co. which lead to us sucking, which resulted in us getting Price 5th overall in 2005 and Galchenyuk 3rd overall in 2012. The only real difference between the Habs and a lot of other teams is that we've (thankfully) turned things around REALLY fast.

also because we cleaned the house twice in the span of like 6-8 years

the Koivu/Kovalev and friends clean up and then the Gomez Gionta Cammalleri clean up...

and the picks were good, but that was also due to a fast turn around! look at our picks in 03, 04 and 06

• David Fisher over Giroux
  • Chipchura over Zajac
  • Kostistyn over Carter, Brown, Seabrook, Parise, Getzlaf, Burns, Kesler, Richards, Perry, Eriksson, Bergeron, Weber

Kostistyn is the biggest disaster of a pick I can think of

gaming_noob

Going to be cheering for the isles the rest of the way
Grabo :(
Kulie :(

The Isles would have been the perfect trading partner had they not signed Halak. Since the Leafs are probably going into full rebuild mode, there's no point in keeping Bernier. Bernier + Kessel for a package of prospects and picks would have been great.

imBask

Banned
it's hard to point too many fingers over skipping Giroux, since a heck of a lot of teams did it. you'd think that draft would have taught the league not to overvalue size, but it still happens constantly.

yeah I know... bad picks happen

but then again, 4 weird picks in a row is a pretty big factor when you're building a team. Price was a weird pick at the time too, it was a GOOD pick, but a weird one. Théodore was still red hot and he wasn't going anywhere at the time

Red_Man

So many teams skipped over Giroux and Kostitsyn looked great in his draft year. Timmins has one of the best if not the best drafting records in the league, he'll have a miss here and there. Drafting Patches, Subban and McDonagh in the same draft is lunacy.

imBask

Banned
even if Kostitsyn looked great, look at that list! looking back it's still a disaster

but yes, Timmins did good too and Gainey almost fucked it all up by trading McDonagh and ALMOST trading Price and presumably Subban for Lecavalier

thank god that trade never happened, I was the biggest Lecavalier fan at the time, but oh man

Red_Man

even if Kostitsyn looked great, look at that list! looking back it's still a disaster

but yes, Timmins did good too and Gainey almost fucked it all up by trading McDonagh and ALMOST trading Price and presumably Subban for Lecavalier

thank god that trade never happened, I was the biggest Lecavalier fan at the time, but oh man
AFAIK it was Gautheir who traded McDonagh and he did so without consulting Timmins first. Timmins said it was heart breaking for him when he found out.

imBask

Banned
AFAIK it was Gautheir who traded McDonagh and he did so without consulting Timmins first. Timmins said it was heart breaking for him when he found out.

what makes you think it was Gauthier? we'll probably never actually know what happened though

just like the infamous Ribeiro for Niinimaa trade

Every team needs to hit a couple homeruns, Leafs don't seem to have any :/

Still can't believe we traded Eminger for the Carlson pick.

Also can't believe we traded Forsberg for Erat and Latta...

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Biggest reason for the canucks (Given that we didnt really have early draft picks afterr the sedins) wasnt late picks But undrafted signings/college signings I'd say. Weve gotten some great players out of it, Tanev is easily our Number 2 D and still young and Burrows has been contributing to the club for a long time.

Red_Man

what makes you think it was Gauthier? we'll probably never actually know what happened though

just like the infamous Ribeiro for Niinimaa trade
Comments made from reporters and there's a guy who posts on Hfboards who used to scout for the Canadiens and is a good friend of Timmins who I'm pretty sure said it was Gautheir who made that call. In either case, Timmins wasn't consulted at all, and pretty upset with it all. Thankfully we have a GM who values our youth and picks now.

Delryk

B70kR0xCUAASFGs.jpg

Hey guuuuys... ready for another loss against Sens tonite?? w00tw00t :p

OMG.. ahah.. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2012076138/808728932?token=c52a69a5

zroid

Banned
B70kR0xCUAASFGs.jpg

Hey guuuuys... ready for another loss against Sens tonite?? w00tw00t :p

I'm torn. On one hand I think it's about time the percentages returned to normal so this stupid city can stop acting like the sky is falling, but on the other, I want the tank to stay alive.

Can someone explain the throwing jerseys on ice thing to me?

Is it an expression of "You guys suck so much that I'm too embarrassed to wear this jersey anymore?"

Delryk

I'm torn. On one hand I think it's about time the percentages returned to normal so this stupid city can stop acting like the sky is falling, but on the other, I want the tank to stay alive.

I watch the games wanting to win.. but at the end of the day, losing is fine...

stupid incidents like the jersey toss will just make other NHL players not wanting to come to Toronto.. Fans showing that they're tired of this losing shit every year, but they're also making the organization look like shit for the rest of the NHLPA. No wonder no good players want to be here.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Fun stats time, among players with >30GP at 5on5

Corsi (Shots for team vs against) leaders:

Sharp (22 more shot attempts for than against per 60 minutes)
Bergeron
Toews
Datsyuk
Thornton
Tatar (!)

Worst Corsi:

Malhotra (an incredible 34 more shot attempts AGAINST per 60 mins
.. And he faces much easier competition than anyone else on the losers list :/ )
Then an impressive FIVE BUFFALO PLAYERS IN A ROW. lol. (Though doesnt Gorges play for the Habs?)
After that, Stuart (19&21 approved)
.... Then THREE MORE BUFFALO PLAYERS
seriously, Buffalo is awful. 16 out of the 22 worst Corsis are Sabres.

Best Corsi when compared to the rest of the team (aka MVP)

Voracek
Thornton
Bergeron
Raffl
HERTL

worst Corsi when compared to rest of team:

Malhotra (no shit)
Gaustad
Glendening
Nystrom
Campbell

Facing the toughest competition:
Fehr
Zetterberg
Laich
Eakin
Marleu

Interesting sidenotes:
The ONLY Leafs player with a positiv Corsi is Kadri annd it's barely above 0) JVR is worst.
Brovat worst Corsi on the Canucks :( Edler&Tanev best
BGally&AGally best on the Habs

zroid

Banned
I was finally graced with MonHun4 demo codes, but they only sent me two. I gave one to a friend and someone already gave me one, so I have a spare

quote to reveal...

and yes buffalo really stinks this year, lol. it's the worst team since possession stats were recorded I think. even more incredibly, the Leafs (pre-Horachek) were actually worse in terms of scoring chances against per game. That's nuts.

Top Bottom