• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2015 |OT| A team wearing the Maple Leaf won something at the ACC

Biggest reason for the canucks (Given that we didnt really have early draft picks afterr the sedins) wasnt late picks But undrafted signings/college signings I'd say. Weve gotten some great players out of it, Tanev is easily our Number 2 D and still young and Burrows has been contributing to the club for a long time.

Canucks' drafting record is still abysmal. Since drafting the Sedins in 1999, their only worthwhile picks:
-RJ Umberger, 2001, 1st round
-Bieksa, 2001, 5th round
-Kesler, 2003, 1st round
-Schneider, 2004, 1st round
-Edler, 2004, 3rd round
-Mike Brown, 2004, 5th round
-Hansen, 2004, 9th round
-Raymond, 2005, 2nd round
-Grabner, 2006, 1st round
-Hodgson, 2008, 1st round

9 years of drafting and only 3 of them are still with the team.

Their best draft has to be 2002. 11 picks, 12 NHL games total.

We are seeing now that while signings and trades can make a contender, that window can close fast. The Canucks seem to be aware of that and have gotten some good picks in the past couple years, so hopefully they turn out.

zroid

Banned
As long as there's plus/minus I'll keep talking aBout Corsi cause fuck plus/minus

it is interesting how some of the analytics gurus are improving corsi. this year score-adjusted metrics have really taken off, and are a big improvement over score-close metrics which people used a lot previously. I think the next step will likely be weighted corsi to give more importance to better scoring chances. it's just a matter of fine-tuning the data until it reaches an optimal correlation with future goals for.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Malholtra is great for when we need a key face off win late in the game in the D zone, but he's a black hole offensively. It's why he's been a healthy scratch a few games already. I like him a lot, but he doesn't bring anything else besides his FO % to the game anymore.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Youknow what I've always wondered? Why there's No "pass completion" stat in the NHL. I guess giveaways is somewhat that, but that's not a percentage.

zroid

Banned
Youknow what I've always wondered? Why there's No "pass completion" stat in the NHL. I guess giveaways is somewhat that, but that's not a percentage.

we might get a sample of that from the ASG cause apparently they're test driving puck tracking there

edit: PK is on Leafs Lunch today... he's always a good interview. He's poking fun at O-dog about DeflateGate :lol

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
we might get a sample of that from the ASG cause apparently they're test driving puck tracking there

Introducing puck & player tracking (like soccer) would be amazing for advanced stats. Dopeystats would become a reality in terms of shot quality/direct line to goal / player location/speed/distance charts etc.

I was finally graced with MonHun4 demo codes, but they only sent me two. I gave one to a friend and someone already gave me one, so I have a spare

quote to reveal...

and yes buffalo really stinks this year, lol. it's the worst team since possession stats were recorded I think. even more incredibly, the Leafs (pre-Horachek) were actually worse in terms of scoring chances against per game. That's nuts.

Playing Monster Hunter with an 2DS is hard.

Every team needs to hit a couple homeruns, Leafs don't seem to have any :/

I've only really been following hockey for about three years now, and haven't really been paying attention to all the draft/prospect talk till this year (McJesus will do that), but Tuuka Rask makes me sad every time.

zroid

Banned
Playing Monster Hunter with an 2DS is hard.

:lol I can imagine. It's hard enough for me with my 3DS XL, I really need the New 3DS. D:

Introducing puck & player tracking (like soccer) would be amazing for advanced stats. Dopeystats would become a reality in terms of shot quality/direct line to goal / player location/speed/distance charts etc.

Dopeystats are already a reality! They correlate 100% with PDO. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Solo

I remember when Manics told me Pogge was better than Price. Hahaha.....

.......ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Cake Boss

Banned
Leafs breakout today and shuts us out 6-0 because we are the Ottawa SlumpBusters.

We will outshoot them 40-12 and still lose because we are losers owned by a loser owner employing loser management who pick up loser players for a loser city.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

This is one thing I'm really interested in seeing at the All-Star Game. The puck and all players' jerseys will have chips in them tracking all kinds of things. I'm curious to see how/if they integrate it into the TV coverage somehow. Should be pretty cool.

Leafs Lunch basically giving Rinaldo a free pass

ieWQRwVFXk29S.png

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
:lol I can imagine. It's hard enough for me with my 3DS XL, I really need the New 3DS. D:

Dopeystats are already a reality! They correlate 100% with PDO. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dopey will be late to the party by the time he rolls out Dopeystats. I've already read a couple articles lately about people creating systems for quality shots and poor shots. With nice little diagrams for us dumb dumbs too!

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Just in case you didn't think the All Star game was already a huge joke, they've added Mascot competitions this year as well.

The Clarkson-Elias Blowups?

Sometimes accounts do get lost in translation. It is interesting how Pro Hockey in Europe got the scoop on this to a point but normally European players feel a bit more open. Thanks to Hockeysverige for the article confirming my suspicions from April. Please be advised that this is translated. This is the comments of Elias on David Clarkson signing his long term high money deal in July with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

“Clarkson wasn’t worth the money. Sure he could put the puck in the net but that was about it. I do not understand the Leafs. They are crazy. Just to pay a guy 35 million + for seven years is incredible”.
That was just from Thursday and the reality is there were rumblings of further discontent as far back as the 2011-12 season. People have to realize that winning just masks a lot of discord sometimes. There also was an alleged incident the night before Patrik Elias’s birthday where Clarkson and Elias had to be separated. Clearly the frustration of playing with someone not on the same talent level had boiled over especially considering Clarkson only found the back of the net five times in his last 32 games. He wasn’t injured and had a ton of prime scoring chances but kept finding ways not to convert. It grew on Elias and it stewed and stewed until it boiled over. That night, things were tossed and words were said that could not be taken back

OH MY GOD

http://hockeythisweek.com/devils-this-week-elias-and-clarkson-the-burning-questions/

Acid08

Banned
Sharks Twitter account is hyping up Metallica night a lot. I'll be there so I'll report just how stupid the whole thing is.

Acid08

Banned
What does Metallica night consist of?

No idea. They've just been promoting it without saying what it actually is.

My guess? Metallica rolls out in their wheelchairs and plays Seek And Destroy live when they skate out of the shark head.

Ursn

Google tells me

The Sharks are holding "Metallica Night" on Wednesday at SAP Center, with band members James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich taking part in a few activities during the night, including a ceremonial puck drop and being involved with in-game programming.

Top Bottom