• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2015 |OT| A team wearing the Maple Leaf won something at the ACC

zroid

Banned
Wait, Mike Richards didn't have a NMC? Maybe we should've traded Phaneuf for him after all. :lol

edit: actually I forgot about the new 2013 rules for waiving one way contracts. so never mind Phaneuf for Richards, that's still a horrible trade despite no NMC.

Merguson

Banned
Wait, Mike Richards didn't have a NMC? Maybe we should've traded Phaneuf for him after all. :lol

According to a beat writer for the Kings, multiple deals were being worked on but all fell through. I'm sure the Leafs were one of them.

Anaheim interested in Franson, and Dallas interested in Franson/Phaneuf.

We'll see.

Heretic

Unless Leafs retain more than 50% of Dion's contract he's not going to be a Duck. Franson, who knows. Doesn't seem like he's the piece that the Ducks are missing.

zroid

Banned
I'm surprised the Kings didn't waive Richards earlier considering their cap issues. They have to have known nobody would take that contract for anything of value.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Is Cody Franson even a Top 4 D? Seems like a lateral move to me. I hope we don't give up anything worth while...

Franson is 14th in D points this year, 43rd last year and 8th the year before

So... he puts up points.... but that may be because he's always thrown on our #1 PP

Cake Boss

Banned
Next up on waivers Dustin Brown. That contract looks terrible now. He had 27 points last year and is on pace for that again.

5.8M for a 30 point forward lol

Delryk

Franson is 14th in D points this year, 43rd last year and 8th the year before

So... he puts up points.... but that may be because he's always thrown on our #1 PP

He's got 14 pts on PP and 15pts 5-on-5.. and considering Leafs 5on5 sucks.. that's pretty good.. lol

LevelNth

Banned
I wonder if picks and a middle range prospect from Dallas could go into a trade for Phaneuf. Leafs would likely see Cole or Hemsky coming back for salary purposes I imagine.

zroid

Banned
Is Cody Franson even a Top 4 D? Seems like a lateral move to me. I hope we don't give up anything worth while...

Yes he is. He puts up points in all situations and at evens he's a strong possession player. Ducks could probably use more strong possession players, all things considered.

I would rather the Leafs find a way to extend him, but if he has to go I expect something decent in return.

m04ZfuT.png

Curufinwe

No way man, winning 2 cups? Pffffffft that sucks!

It was a great trade for the Kings cause they don't win a Cup without Richards.

But if was a good trade for Philly cause they were not winning a Cup with Richards, and they got younger, cheaper pieces back at a time when their depth was very low.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Ducks have way too many one goal wins. I mean you can say winning one goal games is a skill all you want, but come on, lol. With Elliott back in net the Blues look amazing right now.

I can see that reasoning. Plus the fact that a huge number of those one goal wins came from behind.

Socreges

Banned
It was a great trade for the Kings cause they don't win a Cup without Richards.

But if was a good trade for Philly cause they were not winning a Cup with Richards, and they got younger, cheaper pieces back at a time when their depth was very low.
jello was saying the Flyers WON the trade. ie, the Kings LOST the trade.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
TSN's mid-season head coach survey of the best teams/players/whatever is pretty interesting (I guess that's the word?). Coaches could only vote on their own conference and couldn't vote for themselves or their own teams.

Eastern Conference:
BEST COACH: Jack Capuano (3)[
Runners-up: Alain Vigneault (2), Jon Cooper (1), Gerard Gallant (1), Barry Trotz (1), Mike Babcock (1), Michel Therrien (1)

Clearly Therrien somehow managed to vote for himself despite the rules. The alternative that some other coach out there actually believes that Therrien deserves a vote for best coach is just too unbelievable.

Curufinwe

jello was saying the Flyers WON the trade. ie, the Kings LOST the trade.

They definitely didn't lose it, but Cups aren't the only thing that matters in assessing a trade. Otherwise people would say that Calgary WON and St Louis LOST the Brett Hull for Rob Ramage trade in 1988 because the Flames won the Cup in 1989.

Socreges

Banned
They definitely didn't lose it, but Cups aren't the only thing that matters in assessing a trade. Otherwise people would say that Calgary WON and St Louis LOST the Brett Hull for Rob Ramage trade in 1988 because the Flames won the Cup in 1989.
No one here has said otherwise.

TUSR

Banned
Whatever happened with Voynov? Is he still unable to practice and the trial/investigation still going on? Did LA ever get cap relief?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I think his hearing is in March, can't do anything until then. Faces up to 9 years if found guilty.

trifelife

Opened up a box of Bagel Bites, and it had 10 instead of 9. Score.

I was so disappointed to learn that Bagel Bites weren't just technology-themed bagels for kids. Pizza and bagels? Why. One has tomato sauce and the other should be covered in cream cheese and sometimes lox.

ShaneB

On that note, which app do you guys think is best for highlights?

I'm still not sure really myself. Love the Score app for headlines and updates as mentioned, but I load up the espn app from time to time since they have decent video content in their news stream, but since all I watch on tv is mainly sports anyway, I'm not constantly looking for highlights on the go. Certainly would be nice if the TSN/Sportsnet Apps weren't terrible.

Tabris

Man, that 2010 draft class is ON FIRE this year.

Tyler Seguin, Vladmir Tarasenko, Ryan Johanssen, etc. (Taylor Hall is overrated though)

Canucks of course traded their first round pick that year. I think that one was either for Booth or Ballard.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Clearly Therrien somehow managed to vote for himself despite the rules. The alternative that some other coach out there actually believes that Therrien deserves a vote for best coach is just too unbelievable.

I would put $5 on Alain Vigneault being the one to make that pick.

Top Bottom