• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2015 |OT| A team wearing the Maple Leaf won something at the ACC

Yawnier

Banned
Don't think Shanaban even said anything new other than waiting until the end of the season for coaching change

Also would not say whether or not this team is heading towards a rebuild, retool, or just minor tweaks, hmmmm.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It'll be a few years for the Leafs at the very least. But I wouldn't expect all the teams in the playoffs right now to stay competitive. Montreal has significant PDO/possession problems that could see the team regress. Washington's roster isn't all that impressive and is also coasting on high PDO. I don't see the Rangers being built for long term success either.

This is really going to come down in large part to how we deal with some of our major free agents this year.

A core of Rick Nash, Derick Brassard, Ryan McDonagh, Dan Girardi, Kevin Klein, and Henrik Lundqvist is pretty much locked in long term right now.

Marty St. Louis might have another 2 years in him (at least he likes to think so). Dan Boyle is probably done after next year. Cam Talbot is around for 1 more year, but then he's probably gone for a chance at a starting job somewhere. Chris Kreider has another year before he becomes an RFA. Dominic Moore is signed for another year too. And let's not forget that Anthony Duclair is waiting in the wings.

But then beyond that we've got a bunch of question marks. The two biggest are Zuccarello and Staal, and they might be the difference between whether this team is built to last or not. Mats Zuccarello is a UFA, and he's going to want time and money that Sather probably doesn't want to give him. Marc Staal is a UFA and his contract talks have gone nowhere (he wants at least as much time and money as Dan Girardi, and he certainly deserves a better contract than Girardi, but that would be a lot of money tied up in just a few players in the defense), so he may be headed to the trade market before the deadline like Callahan last season.

After that we have a bunch of RFAs like Derek Stepan (who will probably get paid on a long term deal to join that core group I mentioned before), Carl Hagelin, John Moore, JT Miller, and Jesper Fast. I think most of them will be back, though Sather might only pick one of John Moore and Matt Hunwick (who will be a UFA), depending on who is cheaper.

So Zucc and Staal are the big mystery pieces. If we can keep them signed and/or get major contributors back in exchange for them before the deadline, we're good for at least a few more years. If we lose them, we might be a little bit fucked.

At least we still have two more years of Tanner Glass!

Curufinwe

This must be old but i just saw it.

K9fClp3RJKVgpkCfK04y_Reporter%20Skate%20In.gif

I heard Ron Wilson is coming out for Teemu's ceremony.

Probably didn't know Carlyle was available (also he's going through some family stuff too).

I wonder who else will show up.

I paid a ton for nosebleeds. It better be a magical night.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Why is this happening?

It's not even just the shitty color. The design itself is actively horrible. It makes no sense at all.

Referee stripes.

What?

Quick

Banned
hmm, if I was selected to play I would somehow fake an injury and be unable to attend.

https://twitter.com/3rdManIn/status/553641539139018753

B67uCZCCcAE6AVV.jpg

B67uCfdCUAAhCi_.jpg

B67uCeCCQAAhuLt.jpg

B67uCdDCMAAxpAd.jpg

Straight from the 90s/2000s.

I can already imagine Sandstorm as the theme playing while the players are being introduced.

Then some fucking lasers.

Then some more Sandstorm.

Then everyone pulls out their flip phones and starts taking shitty pictures and uploads them to their MySpace pages.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Listening to some Sportsnet radio show and it's amazing how many Leafs fans bring up compete level and similar garbage.

You guys are fighting an uphill battle.

ShaneB

Listening to some Sportsnet radio show and it's amazing how many Leafs fans bring up compete level and similar garbage.

I usually listen to Brady and Walker in the mornings to get by at work, and anytime they prep for call ins from Leafs fans, I cringe in advance.

Also, too many people quoted those all star jersey pics. Let it die!

Samyy

Well its all the media ever talks about, so yea I guess idiot fans think they're being smart by bringing that stuff up.

Its really why I think I've embraced the analytic's side so strongly, anything is better then looking through the lens of "compete".

Top Bottom