• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2017 |OT| May 2016's reign of terror end with the Wild's sacrificial loss

Line_HTX

I must admit, I haven't heard of a big name NHL player coming out fiercely against the ban. Somebody, anybody, don't care if it's Ovechkin or Simmons or Iginla. Hell, fucking Lundquist should say something, I don't know.

Kind of concerning a little.

Socreges

Banned
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if majority of them were. I hope I am wrong tho.

Kind of sad.
Red_Man, imbask and Cake keep saying this. That the majority support Trump. We know that many do (retweeting certain things serving as evidence in this case, though I don't completely disagree with that method), but there's no way to know that a majority do or even anything close to a majority. Seems really stupid to me to throw out such a serious charge, on its own, and then to also continue following the sport with such passion and commitment.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Marc Staal, Jesper Fast, and Antti Raanta are all back and practicing in regular jerseys today. So that leaves just Kevin Hayes as the lone injury remaining.

imBask

Banned
Red_Man, imbask and Cake keep saying this. That the majority support Trump. We know that many do (retweeting certain things serving as evidence in this case, though I don't completely disagree with that method), but there's no way to know that a majority do or even anything close to a majority. Seems really stupid to me to throw out such a serious charge, on its own, and then to also continue following the sport with such passion and commitment.

it's all assumption, but you can't deny that the demographic fits and that hockey is traditionally a white/rich people sport

anyway I just try to ignore all of that when it comes to the actual game, sports and games are a distraction to get away from that shit

Socreges

Banned
it's all assumption, but you can't deny that the demographic fits and that hockey is traditionally a white/rich people sport
I think I can.
It's a traditionally Canadian and European sport as well, with just ~23% being American. Not to mention that Trump's bread and butter were low income, rural whites. The demographics fit in some respects, but largely don't.

Cake Boss

Banned
And seeing how the majority of the players that spoke out,liked retweeted or favorited something has been in support of Trump and his bigotry, then what's lead me to believe that the majority favor him.

Maybe the anti trumpets are the less vocal kind compared to his supporters among the NHL community but who knows.

Reckheim

I try not to think about it too much since it's one of my more enjoyable past times, hence I usually don't participate in talking about politics in here.

But you're right, i'm just assuming and have nothing to back it up with so it really shouldn't bother me much.

I must admit, I haven't heard of a big name NHL player coming out fiercely against the ban. Somebody, anybody, don't care if it's Ovechkin or Simmons or Iginla. Hell, fucking Lundquist should say something, I don't know.

most NHL players probably don't think about politics at all.. they are just athletes. i doubt they even have the time to read or watch the news.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Supposedly the Rangers have given Mika Zibanejad the ok to talk about it with the team's full support if he wants to. I haven't seen anybody ask him yet, though. And he might just not want to talk about it.

Socreges

Banned
And seeing how the majority of the players that spoke out,liked retweeted or favorited something has been in support of Trump and his bigotry, then what's lead me to believe that the majority favor him.

Maybe the anti trumpets are the less vocal kind compared to his supporters among the NHL community but who knows.
Who knows....but let's assume the majority are Trump supporters anyhow!

There's a massive fucking deficit in critical thinking that Trump used to win power. Let's not fall into the same trap.

most NHL players probably don't think about politics at all.. they are just athletes. i doubt they even have the time to read or watch the news.
I'm sure they have the time. They're just mostly apolitical. And the ones who would have opinions have been, I suspect, strongly discouraged from getting involved.

Supposedly the Rangers have given Mika Zibanejad the ok to talk about it with the team's full support if he wants to. I haven't seen anybody ask him yet, though. And he might just not want to talk about it.

hmm interesting. i hope he just tweets "Fuck Trump" and the whole team likes it.

Reckheim

Rielly was practicing today and looks like Hunwick was on the 4th line with Corrado.

Hopefully he actually plays tomorrow.

calder

It's funny but the most political hockey personality I've seen was Kypreos who basically said "RIP america" on election night. He was openly disgusted, which surprised me a bit but I guess you really can't just assume about people.

The only other reactions I've seen were from a few of the American Jets players who were asked on TSN Jets about the election and the idea of a president Trump. Wheeler and Stafford both gave non-answers (with Stafford grimacing openly) and Buff just guffawed sarcastically. Wheeler wouldn't say who he voted for but really gave a vague "not Trump" vibe.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I mean, Zibanejad might theoretically even be affected by the ban if dual-citizens are. And even if he doesnt have a passport he might still have citizenship. But who knows.

It's funny but the most political hockey personality I've seen was Kypreos who basically said "RIP america" on election night. He was openly disgusted, which surprised me a bit but I guess you really can't just assume about people.

The only other reactions I've seen were from a few of the American Jets players who were asked on TSN Jets about the election and the idea of a president Trump. Wheeler and Stafford both gave non-answers (with Stafford grimacing openly) and Buff just guffawed sarcastically. Wheeler wouldn't say who he voted for but really gave a vague "not Trump" vibe.

Jets best most moral team confirmed. give em the Cup.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, Zibanejad might theoretically even be affected by the ban if dual-citizens are. And even if he doesnt have a passport he might still have citizenship. But who knows.

Well I imagine he probably has a Swedish passport, so I think he should be fine. His father might be another matter.

Pikma

Banned
One thing I know is that Gruber, the Stars jumbotron guy, is not a Trump supporter

Which is all I need, the rest of the rich and predominantly white people involved in hockey can support whoever they want, I don't expect much from them anyway

PillarEN

Send the Isles back to the Isle.
they're going to Quebec aren't they?

P.S. That google list compiling Trump tweets by NHL players and or ex players/prospects wasn't that huge (yuge) actually. Maybe someone can dig it up again. Probably because like most people in life, people don't talk about politics. I know that on my Facebook feed out of like 170 people there are probably like 8 people that seem to bring up something Trump related. Whether people like em or not they don't care to talk politics on social media or anywhere else really unless it is brought up by someone. Probably because when people start talking politics on social media it eventually gets annoying when it's a constant thing.

Well I imagine he probably has a Swedish passport, so I think he should be fine. His father might be another matter.
I think he might be fine to, since he was born in Sweden.

From what I can gather. If you were born in any of these countries, you will get stopped even if you travel on a Swedish passport.

And the laws to get in to the USA was tough even before Trump. I couldnt change a flight in the USA without getting a visa, because Ive been to Iran.

I almost hope that there are some major sports stars in the US that will be affected. A NFL strike would probably be one of the most effective ways to rule up his base.

Whooter

If the current owners have no interest in going back into Long Island, where the heck do they go?

Y8ERefL.jpg

edit: Just kidding. I don't think the Sprint Center in KC is interested in a permanent sports tenant.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Well that puts the islanders in real danger of leaving.

They don't want to go back to their old arena. The agreement with the mets hasn't moved much, as far as we know.

Prudential may be willing to take em, but it's not optimal. MSG will laugh at them.

At current rate, they either sulk their way back to nassau, temporarily relocate if they can get a deal done with the mets in super quick time or relocate permanently.

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
The Halifax/Quebec City/Charlotte/Jacksonville/Orlando/Atlanta/Cleveland/Cincinnati/Indianapolis/Memphis/Louisville/New Orleans/Houston/San Antonio/Oklahoma City/Tulsa/Kansas City/Omaha/Minneapolis/San Diego/Bakersfield/Oakland/Sacramento/Portland/Seattle/Spokane/Saskatoon/Fargo/Milwaukee/Madison/Green Bay/Auburn Hills/Birmingham/Greensboro/Columbia/Charleston/Richmond/Norfolk/Hamilton/Providence/New York Islanders.

41 home games in 41 cities.

imBask

Banned
The Halifax/Quebec City/Charlotte/Jacksonville/Orlando/Atlanta/Cleveland/Cincinnati/Indianapolis/Memphis/Louisville/New Orleans/Houston/San Antonio/Oklahoma City/Tulsa/Kansas City/Omaha/Minneapolis/San Diego/Bakersfield/Oakland/Sacramento/Portland/Seattle/Spokane/Saskatoon/Fargo/Milwaukee/Madison/Green Bay/Auburn Hills/Birmingham/Greensboro/Columbia/Charleston/Richmond/Norfolk/Hamilton/Providence/New York Islanders.

41 different owners and GMs who get to make the calls once a year

calder

41 different owners and GMs who get to make the calls once a year

God would it suck when they finish ahead of the Jets in the standings. Assuming they play in both the East and West, and why wouldn't they? Even helps the schedule maker out a bit.

I support the Halifax Islanders.

NHL players have tons of free time.

yeah they probably do lol. i just like to think that they train and practice all day every day, i dont want to think of them as lazy but many of them probably are.. just partying and chilling and occasionally playing 6-10 minutes of hockey.

Top Bottom