• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2017 |OT| May 2016's reign of terror end with the Wild's sacrificial loss

PillarEN

I mean sure it ain't 9-5 but at the same time you are on a schedule. everything is always on a schedule so you don't necessarily have time to let your mind start to wander or get completely off track. There is definitely times when athletes seem lost after their career is over and don't really know what to do with themselves as their lives aren't determined by the team. That's when suddenly they truly have free time with no plan whatsoever and they gotta put that together. Not counting off season in which case yeah it's free time all the time other than some working out and maybe doing some summer camp before the teams get together again before the season.

It's not that they literally don't have any time to think about politics, but when you got things to do or things coming up just around the horizon you don't necessarily ponder this shit and scour over every piece of news unless that's your hobby in which case you probably love Fox News and Bill O'Reilley cause I've never met anyone who is obsessed with news that wasn't a crazy fan of "Fair and Balanced". It's like their lives revolve around that shit. I don't know any sane person that watches news religiously. I don't even think it's possible. You probably go insane.

Socreges

Banned
I mean sure it ain't 9-5 but at the same time you are on a schedule. everything is always on a schedule so you don't necessarily have time to let your mind start to wander or get completely off track. There is definitely times when athletes seem lost after their career is over and don't really know what to do with themselves as their lives aren't determined by the team. That's when suddenly they truly have free time with no plan whatsoever and they gotta put that together. Not counting off season in which case yeah it's free time all the time other than some working out and maybe doing some summer camp before the teams get together again before the season.

It's not that they literally don't have any time to think about politics, but when you got things to do or things coming up just around the horizon you don't necessarily ponder this shit and scour over every piece of news unless that's your hobby in which case you probably love Fox News and Bill O'Reilley cause I've never met anyone who is obsessed with news that wasn't a crazy fan of "Fair and Balanced". It's like their lives revolve around that shit. I don't know any sane person that watches news religiously. I don't even think it's possible. You probably go insane.
That's called retirement. Especially forced early retirement. It's called being any person with an occupation who suddenly doesn't have that occupation.

I'm not sure what your argument is exactly. You go from apparently trying to excuse them from reading the news to suggesting that the alternative is to be some FOX News fanatic, as if there's no middle ground. Between games, practices, watching video, working out, travelling, etc... they still 'work' less than the average person. And when you travel one of the things you can do is read the news, not to mention all the downtime.

PillarEN

Shit. No you're right. I guess I just don't want to imagine the Trump support numbers to be high and then I just went stupid. You're right at calling me out.

Our new Hab!

C3c9rilWEAASjzp.jpg

Also if the Red Wings are sucking this year can we have Tatar or Nyquist?

There were a lot of angry people throwing their jerseys away onto a pile but I don't think people here cared too much overall

Yeah that's partly why the team left probably. Attendance by Charger fans sucked. Home games were often mostly visiting fans. Doesn't help that the team wasn't good but still. Not that much support. Sucks for the fans though. I guess there's just too much other fun shit to do in San Diego.

Socreges

Banned
Shit. No you're right. I guess I just don't want to imagine the Trump support numbers to be high and then I just went stupid. You're right at calling me out.
Hah, I understand the temptation...I just think they probably tend to be ambivalent politically, or aren't comfortable sharing their opinions given how stifling hockey culture is. If someone went through and scanned twitter for subtle indications that roughly 40 NHLers prefer(ed) Trump...it's disappointing...but it also doesn't mean much else to me as a representation.

Why did I wait almost a year and a half to get MGSV? Why dammit?
Because MGSIV disappointed you?

calder

The Jets will be under all sorts of pressure to draft Patrick with the first overall we're getting but damn Hischier would be pretty damn nice too 😬

Ehlers Jr.

Because MGSIV disappointed you?

I'm not sure. Looking back, I love MGSIV. It was bizarre, stupid, it had abusive relationship with your free time.

Yet it was wonderful all the same.

Snake going through the microwave chamber is one of my favourite set pieces. Drebin's monkey. Ocelet's brainwashing of himself. Lol

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Seeing all this Trump fuckery unfold in real time is very surreal, everyday is a new controversy. I still can't believe we're at this point right now.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Seeing all this Trump fuckery unfold in real time is very surreal, everyday is a new controversy. I still can't believe we're at this point right now.

I keep telling myself "thank god I live in Canada" but it's just not working, there's too many innocent people that are suffering, will suffer and will die because of it. It's heartbreaking that one man can undo decades of good in such short time. This will hurt the US in every imaginable way for a long time.

I keep telling myself "thank god I live in Canada" but it's just not working, there's too many innocent people that are suffering, will suffer and will die because of it. It's heartbreaking that one man can undo decades of good in such short time. This will hurt the US in every imaginable way for a long time.

Empathy is a bitch.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
If only NHL players weren't such pussies to speak out, oh wait most all just Trump fuckers.

Toughest athletes my balls.

Like this guy

https://twitter.com/luoldeng9/status/826186188650221568

Also, everyone should check out CNN. The headline is just "Monday Night Massacre" in reference to Nixon firing his AG before his impeachment around Watergate......................................

let's all hope.

Oh and he also fired the Acting Immigration and Customs Officer. Because why not, ELIMINATE ALL DISSENT

TarhdXT.gif

The Trump supporter that I still interact with from time to time is the type of guy that will say global warming is a sham, that all of the science behind it is bullshit, won't engage with why the science specifically is bullshit and will link me to Breitbart articles about it being bullshit as a counterpoint to me showing him legitimate data sets.

Last thing he said to me about anything political? That I was believing everything I read on the internet when Trump established the gag order on the EPA. Wouldn't engage further, wouldn't talk about it as fact. This is a guy who says he loves the constitution first and foremost. It's bizarre, the lengths people will go to justify their choices. What's so hard about admitting a mistake? Why dig your heels in when you're wrong?

Maybe Dopey can shine some light on this.

We're going to wind up with general strikes and civil unrest at this point. It's insane, never thought I'd live to see the US descend in chaos....but here we are.

Socreges

Banned
Have you guys ever heard of Adam Curtis? I'd say he's one of the more important thinkers around these days. Brilliant person. His documentaries are entertaining even if you're not necessarily looking for motivation or edification. They cut right through to the foundations of our culture and socio-economic/political systems.

Here is his blog, which he never updates these days unless he releases a new video. But the material, however old, is all relevant. Hypernormalisation was released last fall and it's very good. It actually touches on the Trump phenomenon.

I listened to this interview with him last night where he talked about how protestors' engagement is too temporal these days. They will participate for a time and then return to normal life. They aren't willing to give themselves to the cause fully. In fact many participate partly because it serves as a statement of their identity and once that has been served their commitment wanes. That isn't sustainable and ultimately nothing changes.

My point being...I wonder if that will change under Trump. I wonder if people won't just return to their normal lives regardless of the outcome, and maybe because this is too intolerable. I think either outcome is kind of terrifying. If people continue, there will be a lot of social unrest to put it lightly. If people (large groups, I mean) don't continue, and accept Trump as the new normal, there will be disastrous long-term consequences. That much is obvious.

Top Bottom