• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Newsflash: the players ARE stupid.

True but I think there's enough guys left who lost a year the last time around that will teach the rest that holding out an entire year is beyond stupid.

Don't forgot only the best players will play overseas, the vast majority will be sitting at home watching their bank accounts drop to zero, wondering if they'll ever play in the NHL again. So much for player unity.

It's almost like both sides WANT a work stoppage every decade. Hey fucktards, if you agree on an 8 year deal, start negotiating the new deal 6-7 years in, not at the 11th hour of the 8th year.

The problem is that neither side has any real reason to negotiate until real dollars are being flushed away. All we've seen is a dog and pony show so far. Once the owners start losing money and the players start missing paychecks they'll be far more motivated to work something out.

Marvie_3

Banned
True but I think there's enough guys left who lost a year the last time around that will teach the rest that holding out an entire year is beyond stupid.

Don't forgot only the best players will play overseas, the vast majority will be sitting at home watching their bank accounts drop to zero, wondering if they'll ever play in the NHL again. So much for player unity.
Bingo. The NHL is counting on this too. The longer the lockout goes, the more player unity will break down.

Cake Boss

Banned
And they will start seeing the effect of the lockout this week with the preseason games cancelled, that is some revenue for owners and checks for players that would not come this week.

Acid08

Banned
Losing a year of Boyle, Thornton, Marleau is fucking devastating. Teams with aging cores are just losing out on the last years of good hockey their older players can provide. Jumbo :(

Bingo. The NHL is counting on this too. The longer the lockout goes, the more player unity will break down.

Yeah if Fehr is going to want to lose an entire season so he can go on a crusade against the salary cap, I can see a few hundred NHL players saying "Here we go again". I think they'd fire him and get someone who can negotiate a deal before the season is lost if they had to.

There you go Leaf fans.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/09/17/francois-allaire-quits-leafs-i-couldnt-do-my-job/

Goaltending consultant Francois Allaire has decided not to return to the Toronto Maple Leafs, citing a conflict with the coaching staff.

“To be honest, I don’t think the Leafs need a goalie coach,” Allaire, whose contract expired at the end of the season, said in a phone interview on Monday. “I think they have enough of them. They have two or three guys who were making decisions with the goalies. In the NHL, that’s not the way it works.

“If that’s the way they want to operate, then I’m not there.”

First too many GMs and now too many goalie coaches ?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Just spent the last 15 minutes perusing the millions of NHL 13 threads. You guys make it seem like this game is really fun.

I may have to buy this to play while my Xbox is offline.

Waiting a year makes Petrovic, Bjugstad, Howden, and Markstrom ready.

In the flip side the momentum of a successful season last year is lost for new fans. Plus every SF team besides the Heat suck. This is the perfect time to re-establish the Cats in the market.

Solo

Hope Galchenyuk is a day one NHLer when hockey returns in 2013. A year to destroy the OHL will hopefully do wonders for him.

Revenant

Hope Galchenyuk is a day one NHLer when hockey returns in 2013. A year to destroy the OHL will hopefully do wonders for him.

Don't take this the wrong way but everytime I see this I want to punch you in the face :(

why must you be so hurtful solo. who hurt you? who?!

Merguson

Banned
Yeah if Fehr is going to want to lose an entire season so he can go on a crusade against the salary cap, I can see a few hundred NHL players saying "Here we go again". I think they'd fire him and get someone who can negotiate a deal before the season is lost if they had to.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/09/17/francois-allaire-quits-leafs-i-couldnt-do-my-job/

First too many GMs and now too many goalie coaches ?

Probably Ron Wilson's fault.

EDIT: My prediction.

The NHL folds.

Marv, do you still feel as if a two team expansion will be included in the final CBA? I haven't heard much about it apart from the first time they said something, and nothing after.

Marvie_3

Banned
Marv, do you still feel as if a two team expansion will be included in the final CBA? I haven't heard much about it apart from the first time they said something, and nothing after.
Given that Quebec's new arena is now under construction and Seattle looks like they're getting a new arena, I wouldn't rule it out. I haven't seen anything mentioned for awhile though. 40+ new jobs and $100-120M more for the players every year would look pretty good to the NHLPA and could get a pretty big concession in return for the NHL.

Given that Quebec's new arena is now under construction and Seattle looks like they're getting a new arena, I wouldn't rule it out. I haven't seen anything mentioned for awhile though. 40+ new jobs and $100-120M more for the players every year would look pretty good to the NHLPA and could get a pretty big concession in return for the NHL.

That's what I figured. With Phoenix keeping their team (for now), Quebec and Seattle seemed like a prime opportunity. I haven't heard anything apart from "there's room for expansion" though, so I was wondering since you seem to follow it a bit more closely.

Solo

Expansion is fucking asinine. So naturally, I expect the NHL will do it.

What they really need to do is contract 6 American teams altogether, and move 2 up to Canada. Boom, 4 divisions/conferences of 6 teams. Better product, less shit teams bleeding cash.

It's been suggested by some writers that teams that deem themselves within their "window" might break rank in order to facilitate a end to the lockout. Hope they are right, that's the only thing I got right now.

What they really need to do is contract 6 American teams altogether, and move 2 up to Canada. Boom, 4 divisions/conferences of 6 teams. Better product, less shit teams bleeding cash.

Seattle already has an arena. They have the Mariners, Seahawks and the Sounders. The first two fucking suck and the latter is an MLS team.

Not to mention David Stern fucked them out of the SuperSonics for no reason other than to the expand the sport, so I would imagine they'd take nicely to a new team. They would also have an immediate geographic rivalry with Vancouver.

Quebec City...? I don't think we need to start to talk about why that would work.

I fail to see how it's an asinine idea. Yes, some teams could very well be contracted without anyone caring, but that doesn't make the two most likely expansion markets any less viable.

Solo

Because then you STILL have Columbus, Phoenix, Dallas, one or two too many California teams, one or two too many New York area teams, and one too many Florida teams.

Because then you STILL have Columbus, Phoenix, one or two too many California teams, one or two too many New York area teams, and one too many Florida teams.

Again, how does that make Seattle and Quebec City any less viable? Whether they should be contracted or not is irrelevant to that.

For the record, I do agree with those. Except for the Florida teams. However, that has nothing to do with the other two.

Marvie_3

Banned

:lol no

Better product? Only 2 of the 7 Canadian teams made the playoffs. That's just what we need, MORE BOTTOM FEEDERS.

I fail to see how it's an asinine idea. Yes, some teams could very well be contracted without anyone caring, but that doesn't make the two most likely expansion markets any less viable.
Solo is just mad that the Nordiques will win a Cup before the Habs win one again.

Solo

Again, how does that make Seattle and Quebec City any less viable? Whether they should be contracted or not is irrelevant to that.

For the record, I do agree with those. Except for the Florida teams. However, that has nothing to do with the other two.

It doesn't - it's asiniNe because you are giving those two cities teams WITHOUT REMOVING SHITTY MARKET TEAMS, not because they are necessarily bad markets. The NHL does not need more teams.

It doesn't - it's asiniNe because you are giving those two cities teams WITHOUT REMOVING SHITTY MARKET TEAMS, not because they are necessarily bad markets. The NHL does not need more teams.

So markets that would support a team shouldn't get one because other markets don't support theirs. Got it.

Solo is just mad that the Nordiques will win a Cup before the Habs win one again.

:lol

Solo

:lol no

Better product? Only 2 of the 7 Canadian teams made the playoffs. That's just what we need, MORE BOTTOM FEEDERS.

Marvie, did you get dumber when you got off the booze?

Yes, better. competition. Same pool of players but 6 less teams = better teams across the board due to limited slots. Survival of the fittest (read: best players).

And guess what else those 7 Canadian teams did? MADE MONEY. Not a concept the NHL at large is familiar with, I know.

Solo

So markets that would support a team shouldn't get one because other markets don't support theirs. Got it.

Reading comprehension fail. Read my post again - Quebec/Seattle getting teams is fine, but they shouldn't be expansion teams, they should be relocates of shitty franchises ala Columbus/Phoenix.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
It's been suggested by some writers that teams that deem themselves within their "window" might break rank in order to facilitate a end to the lockout. Hope they are right, that's the only thing I got right now.

I really hope so, because like Solo said, our window closes with the Sedins, which is like... The next 3 years. Losing one of those would suck.

Marvie_3

Banned
Marie, did you get dumber when you got off the booze?

Yes, better. competition. Same pool of players but 6 less teams = better teams across the board due to limited slots. Survival of the fittest (read: best players).

And guess what else those 7 Canadian teams did? MADE MONEY. Not a concept the NHL at large is familiar with, I know.
Better competition?

Solo said:
Because then you STILL have Columbus, Phoenix, Dallas, one or two too many California teams, one or two too many New York area teams, and one too many Florida teams.
There's 7 Stanley Cups in this group since the Habs last won. I'd say there's pretty fuckin good competition right now.

Solo

Better competition?

Higher. Talent. Level. Across. The. Board.

If you fold 6 teams and draft those 180 players to the other teams, then yes, each and every team in the NHL will have much better high end talent all the way down the roster. It would be the end of plugs in the game.

If you fold 6 teams and draft those 180 players to the other teams, then yes, each and every team in the NHL will have much better high end talent all the way down the roster. It would be the end of plugs in the game.

And you think the NHLPA would just let them fold six teams like that?

Solo

I'd rather see less teams in good markets that have higher skill and can turn a profit than more teams in chosen-by-throwing-at-a-dartboard markets with lower skill and mediocre financials.

Cake Boss

Banned
Expansion for Quebec and Seattle.
32 teams.
4 conferences 8 teams like the NHL suggested last season.
Move Phoenix to Kansas City
Move Isles to Hamilton
Move one of the California teams to Vegas
????
profit

32 teams.
Move Isles to Hamilton
????
profit

I'm pretty sure people in Vegas would think hockey was a type of pizza.

Marvie_3

Banned

I think you just want a smaller league because that's the only way Montreal can draw top talent or win a Cup. It must fucking burn your ass every time a free agent tickles Montreal's balls only to go on to sign with a different team.

32 teams.
Move Isles to Hamilton
????
profit

KC and Vegas? Move the Isles? Fuck no.

I like how Jaromir Jagr offered and signed his own contract for the Kontinental Hockey League. I don't know the details, but it seems like he can do whatever he wants because he is the owner or something. If the lockout ends, Jagr might just stay in the KHL again. He's gettin old :p

Solo

I think you just want a smaller league because that's the only way Montreal can draw top talent or win a Cup. It must fucking burn your ass every time a free agent tickle's Montreal's balls only to go on to sign with a different team.

The fuck are you ranting about? Good christ talk about missing the mark entirely. Montreal could have a Leafs-like drought or Wings-like success and I would still be saying the same thing I am now. I am not saying this as some biased Habs fan. I say this as someone who wants to see hockey succeed and see the best possible product.

NHL could be a much more successful league by reducing and wisely relocating, not expanding.

The fuck are you ranting about? Good christ talk about missing the mark entirely. Montreal could have a Leafs-like drought or Wings-like success and I would still be saying the same thing I am now. I am not saying this as some biased Habs fan. I say this as someone who wants to see hockey succeed and see the best possible product.

NHL could be a much more successful league by reducing and wisely relocating, not expanding.

Fx4yw.gif

Solo

Er, anybody with any kind of logic who sees two franchises like Phoenix and Columbus and DOESN'T relocate them or shitbin them, but instead keeps them and adds 2 more franchises is fucking insane. Or, Gary Bettman.

Hey, why not add a team in Boise, Idaho and one in Montana while we're at it?!

Too late. He's probably already explored those markets. Also, screw Seattle. Quebec City should be #1 and GTA should be #2 next in line for teams.

Except Seattle would actually expand the game instead of giving Toronto another team they don't need.

Solo

Except Seattle would actually expand the game instead of giving Toronto another team they don't need.

A team in QC and another GTA team are no brainers. 100% guaranteed success. Markets that will support and sustain teams for a joke, for decades, without question.

The NHL in Seattle? I'd say there are a lot of fucking questions there.

A team in QC and another GTA team are no brainers. 100% guaranteed success. Markets that will support and sustain teams for a joke, for decades, without question.

The NHL in Seattle? I'd say there are a lot of fucking questions there.

Of course there are, but there's also potential in that area unlike most of the southern expansion teams. Markham wouldn't add to the fanbase of the NHL, as I almost can guarantee that people there follow the league already.

Another team in Toronto(Markham) would give the NHL the revenue they need.

The NHL greatly expanded into the US hoping for a huge US TV contract, well they didn't get it so I think they'll focus on getting as much $$$ as possible from now on.

Top Bottom