• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

You sir, are terrific!
3ZJ7n.gif

Montresor

Scott Hartnell made 3x my salary just serving time in the penalty box

What about the owner writing ~20 other similar cheques to players, each ranging from $500k to $7+ million per year. Now that is a dude making a lot of money.

Edit: changed "cutting" to "writing"

Quick

Banned
Owners are taking away their livelihood. How can Hartnell afford to maintain his bachelor pad now?

Someone start a Kickstarter fund for these poor players.

No sympathy for the players or the owners, only have sympathy for the local businesses and people who depend on there being hockey to have a job

Solo

And before anyone asks, it's because they don't want to risk players going on strike right before the playoffs (which they did in another sport I believe?), because that'd make the owners look AWFUL and would tie their hands.

MLB players went on strike in 1994 just before the playoffs.

ShaneB

MLB players went on strike in 1994 just before the playoffs.

And it killed the Expos :(

Also I wish the players would quit this BS of "messing with their livelihood" Don't these buffoons have any money saved? I'm sorry you can't pay your mansion mortgage, or the apparent mountain of groceries you need.

I see absolutely no way the NHL returns without a salary cap. I honestly believe some owners would rather shut the league down.

Well it would be a case of the NHLPA finally agreeing to a 50/50 split but then asking for no salary cap (or a soft cap).

Bettman wants his 50/50 split, but what's he going to give up to get it ?

Marvie_3

Banned
I see absolutely no way the NHL returns without a salary cap. I honestly believe some owners would rather shut the league down.

No salary cap would be fucking terrible. Needs to stay a hard cap too. A soft cap + luxury tax is just as broken as no cap.

Parch

The players have already agreed to the cap again. They call it a major concession even if it's just agreeing to something that was already in place.

I noticed that at these press conferences the players look like slobs. Millionaires in NY and the best they can do is T-shirts and shorts. Gotta make sure these poor, unfortunate, victims don't look rich. The union probably made the rule... no suits allowed.

The latest player video is so obvious. We love the game. We want to play, but the evil owners won't let us. What a load of bull. They're trying real hard to make sure it looks like the lockout is the owner's fault, even though the union refused to negotiate for over a year.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Does this PR stuff ever work?

Has there ever been a point in any lockout in any league where one side was getting absolutely destroyed in the court of public opinion that they took a bad deal to appease the fans?

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Then I'll take December 4.

I thought they'd get in that first NBC game, but I'm not sure now. They'll save the Winter Classic, though.

ShaneB

Everyone is throwing out dates, I was wondering if we'd pony up a few bucks each as well! lol Ah well.

I can't imagine they want to cancel another season, so I don't think it'll go past say... January.. but it's not getting done soon. I'm thinking Late November to avoid dubbedinenglish.

Actually... dammit.. even saying that date seems crazy. Who the fuck nows :(

Players aren't that dumb to lose an entire season AGAIN only to get the same offer for next year. They'll push back and do their silly PR war but they'll settle before the Winter Classic at the latest.
Both sides are beyond stupid if they lose an entire season because they can't decide how to divide up $1B, players lose $1.8Bn if the season is lost.

Solo

Players aren't that dumb to lose an entire season AGAIN only to get the same offer for next year. They'll push back and do their silly PR war but they'll settle before the Winter Classic at the latest.
Both sides are beyond stupid if they lose an entire season because they can't decide how to divide up $1B, players lose $1.8Bn if the season is lost.

Newsflash: the players ARE stupid.

Solo

It's almost like both sides WANT a work stoppage every decade. Hey fucktards, if you agree on an 8 year deal, start negotiating the new deal 6-7 years in, not at the 11th hour of the 8th year.

ShaneB

It's almost like both sides WANT a work stoppage every decade. Hey fucktards, if you agree on an 8 year deal, start negotiating the new deal 6-7 years in, not at the 11th hour of the 8th year.

This is what annoys the shit of me when Reimer spews the nonsense(after being brainwashed by Fehr) of continuing to play this season while negotiating the new deal. WTF?!? Why didn't you do that last year?!!?!?

Top Bottom