• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Agreed that the NBA used to be better. Was a fan in the 90s.

Which is weird because the brand of ball the NBA was putting out there back then was bad. Way too many teams intentionally slowing it up.

I'd argue that the NBA is the healthiest it's been a long time right now.

ShaneB

I'll watch the MLB playoffs when they start, but I'm definitely in the mindset that baseball can be dreadfully boring for pretty much all of the regular season, and I don't care when 9 inning games last 5 hours.

I'm not a big football guy, but again, I'll check out when the playoffs are on, and I have this odd enjoyment out of watching all the analysis and whatnot. 'C'mon Man!' is hilarious.

Basketball, yeah, that NBA on NBC theme is a huge shot of nostalgia too. It's just a totally different game now, I don't mind it come playoff time, but I don't really follow the sport at all.

Don't care about Soccer at all!

I love golf and definitely watch the majors and missing playing it as much as I use to. MMA in the past few years has turned into my second love right behind hockey.

Solo

Which is weird because the brand of ball the NBA was putting out there back then was bad. Way too many teams intentionally slowing it up.

Yeah, but there were legends playing back then. I don't consider Lebron, Wade, Kobe, etc. to be of the Jordan, Bird, Johnson, etc. stature. Not even close.

Jordan was basically the god of all sports for 15 solid years. And the players today lack that fire that someone like Jordan had. Dude could drink himself sick the night before and STILL put up 45 points in the NBA finals.

The composer of that NBA on NBC theme? John Tesh of Entertainment Tonight fame.
v3qx9zqvtv5mtv59.jpg

Come back, 1990's.

Marvie_3

Banned

A league where the same 3 teams win all the time isn't healthy.

Speaking of overused jokes......

Just calling you out like you like to call me out, don't want you to be hypocritical or anything, so I'll make sure to keep you updated on any future overused jokes that you use, since you are such a big proponent of being against them....

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
A league where the same 3 teams win all the time isn't healthy.

It's a symptom of how much one player affects what happens on a basketball court. It's how the league has always been.

The overall talent level is quite good these days, thanks to the influx of foreign players.

Well pretty much any decade in the NBA except the 70's.

But the 70s are weird because of the splintered talent pool. A lot of the best players were in the ABA.

Marvie_3

Banned
It's a symptom of how much one player affects what happens on a basketball court. It's how the league has always been.

The overall talent level is quite good these days, thanks to the influx of foreign players.

But the 70s are weird because of the splintered talent pool. A lot of the best players were in the ABA.
Sounds exactly like the NHL and why contracting is a bad idea.

Anyone else unfollowing NHL players tweeting about how difficult their lives are?

It's not even twitter, I can't even watch TV or read the news not to read stupidity:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-lockout/2012/09/18/nhl_lockout_bettman_fehr_cba_update/

Some people criticize Bettman for muzzling his owners? I wish Donald Fehr would do the same thing with everyone on his side. Unless, that is, you can make sense of this comment from Vancouver's Kevin Bieksa, to the Globe and Mail:

"The problem isn't with us, making too much," Bieksa stated. "It's them overpaying guys and creating their own problems."

If that's the problem, Kevin, how would you fix that?

"People say, 'Why can't you be more like football or basketball?' ... We'll take 50-50, for sure. Put more into the pie, and we'll take 50-50."

In summary: the problem is that the owners are "overpaying players." The solution is, owners should "put more into the pie."

Well, that sounds like something that would work for everybody.

But as the article says, if the two sides are so committed to finding a solution or middle ground, why can't they appoint a mediator ?

It is funny that the players say it is the owners fault for paying the players so much, but if the owners had gotten together and tried to pay the players less the players would have sued them for collusion.

Cake Boss

Banned
This whole process just showed how stupid and uneducated some of these players are, leaving school early to play hockey has really affected some of them.

Quick

Banned
This whole process just showed how stupid and uneducated some of these players are, leaving school early to play hockey jas really affected some of them.

It's the easy route for half of them, considering they've already been playing junior hockey, and the process is pretty straightforward to get to the NHL from there. Not that NCAA hockey isn't straightforward, though.

I wouldn't mind the NHL modifying the the rules requiring some college education for athletes. Something like a minimum of two years of post secondary education under their belt. It'll probably strengthen NCAA and CIS hockey in both the US and Canada. I know that some players are drafted while still in college, but that's mostly in the US.

They finally topped NHL 94?

I am loving all the new stuff in the game the last few years, plus the momentum based skating just feels perfect. There are still a few minor things, like bouncing off guys when you try to check them but overall I think they did a great job with this years game.

They finally topped NHL 94?

Still the greatest one in my book.

Looks like the NHL is fighting back:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...yers-facing-iihf-transfer-174309411--nhl.html

An IIHF transfer card is needed for any player participating in any tournament under the IIHF umbrella. It is sort of a permit to play. The KHL and every hockey league in Europe is under the IIHF umbrella. The KHL had its run-ins with the international hockey governing body before, when the IIHF either refused or delayed issuing transfer cards, like in the case with Alex Radulov. On certain occasions, these tensions led to KHL threatening to leave the organization.
"The IIHF is not allowing Yakupov to play. The transfer card has not been sent from Switzerland (the IIHF headquarters)," Neftekhimik director Rafik Yakubov told Sovetsky Sport's Pavel Lysenkov.
"I can't even imagine what this is related to. Perhaps the international hockey federation doesn't want to feud with the NHL and is waiting when they receive an approval from there. The negotiations are ongoing and we were told that there will be no requests. So, Nail cannot play against Torpedo. He is already in Nizhnekamsk, practicing with the team and is ready to play even tomorrow."
Lysenkov is reporting that Igor Larionov, Yakupov's agent, had an agreement in place with the Edmonton Oilers to allow Yakupov to play in the KHL for the duration of the lockout.
But now Yakupov has to wait.
The NHL is not a member of the IIHF, but has a great deal of power bossing the international governing body around. Rene Fasel rarely goes against NHL's wishes, and it is not surprising the IIHF is possibly waiting for NHL's official permission to issue transfer cards to NHL players allowing them to play in Europe during the lockout.

Want to play in Europe ? Seems like Gary made some calls to the IIHF to put a stop to that (even though the NHL isn't a member).

Merguson

Banned
So basically Burke said that Allaire's methods were outdated and he was unwilling to "evolve"

and.. um.. bunch of players sign overseas.. and um..

there's a lockout..

my god make a deal

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I still have my copy. Unless NHL 13 has Brass Bonanza, I can't see it being better.

The last NHL game I had, though, was 11, which I really enjoyed, even if trades were damn near impossible.

What? no. I traded my 1st&2nd for the first overall pretty much every year in that game. Also, as someone who had 11 and skipped 12, 13 is absolutely brilliant. The game itself AND GM Connected AND my first time playing EASHL will make this game last a long, long time. GM Connected in itself has GREAT potential (if only the menues were a bit faster).

Quick

Banned
I still have my copy. Unless NHL 13 has Brass Bonanza, I can't see it being better.

The last NHL game I had, though, was 11, which I really enjoyed, even if trades were damn near impossible.

Just upload Brass Bonanza in the game and you're golden.

ShaneB

Solidarity!

Let's get the fuck overseas to play hockey!

Yeah!

Hey wait.. they don't want me!

Fuck you! I gotta get paid!

Top Bottom