• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Heretic

This is what I get for making fun of my friends that were mad during the nba lockout. There I was telling them that the nba players are just interested in the money and that nhl players play for the love of the sport. I knew it was a lie but it was ammo for the moment and then this happens...

This is what I get for making fun of my friends that were mad during the nba lockout. There I was telling them that the nba players are just interested in the money and that nhl players play for the love of the sport. I knew it was a lie but it was ammo for the moment and then this happens...

Yeah and I used to tell soccer fans that "hockey players don't dive because they aren't pussies".

Heretic

Yeah and I used to tell soccer fans that "hockey players don't dive because they aren't pussies".

LOL!

Supersonic, was that a Clerks reference?

Goats lick, dont suck.

20120129_rr_exclusive_dbryan_c.jpg

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
37. My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks.

Want a free copy of Torchlight 2 that comes out on Thursday to cheer you up? It'll be 37 times as awesome as Diablo 3. (I'm serious. It's gonna be an amazing game. Oh and I'm also serious about gifting it.)

Want a free copy of Torchlight 2 that comes out on Thursday to cheer you up? It'll be 37 times as awesome as Diablo 3. (I'm serious. It's gonna be an amazing game. Oh and I'm also serious about gifting it.)

With my backlog I wouldn't get around to playing it until 2022. I bought Diablo 3 at launch and still haven't installed it.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
For those interested / desperate enough, Biosteel has videos of their little tourney they had a few weeks ago on their site. Galchenyuk, Simmonds, Cammalleri, Hodgson, Smith Pelly, etc are al; there and others. For Hab fans, if you go to 2:17:46 in the video you can see Gally just walk through the whole team and score a nice goal.

http://drinkthepink.com/

Smiley90

Remember how I said the guys from OOTP were making a hockey sim? Yeah, the name is out: Franchise Hockey Manager 2013. Here's the link to their so-far official facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/FranchiseHockeyManager

And their discussion board, where they actually answer questions: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/fhm-general-discussions/ or more specifically http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boa...s/224617-franchise-hockey-manager-2013-a.html

They've also released their first developer diary, titled "Historical Play". Here you can see the full text, and since full-text quoting is frowned upon at GAF (?), I'll just post a few select quotes. So here's the full text: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boa...224660-development-diary-historical-play.html

And some quotes:

That said, let's start with the basics: the game will let you pick a season and play from there - if you want to start in 1955, you get the teams and rosters that actually existed then. Every year, the new rookies will be added, and depending on your preferences, you can have them either show up on their historical teams or be available for drafting and signing. Hate that your team traded away a future Hall of Famer for a guy that broke down a couple of years later? Now you can avoid the mistake. Were they ruined by year after year of incompetent drafting? Well, do it yourself and see if you can make better picks. Been waiting four-plus decades for a cup? Go win one yourself.

First, to ease the task of entering all the ratings manually, there's the template system: break down players into various types (for example, offense-oriented wingers who tend to shoot more than they pass and don't take a lot of penalties, tough stay-at-home defencemen, and so on - we came up with about 50 different ones) and then build a fully-rated database entry - the template - for an "average NHLer" of each type. Then, every real player gets assigned one of those templates and four simple "target" ratings - offensive, defensive, mental, and physical. If the target is above-average, for example, the ratings the player gets in that group are raised from the average level in the template; below-average and they go down. (Additionally, any specific attribute ratings that are entered for a player override the template numbers.) So by selecting a template and entering four numbers, I get a reasonably accurate depiction of a player without having to enter 30-40 individual attributes.

The earliest year available will be 1947-48. I know a lot of people were hoping to be able to start a lot earlier, but with the major rule changes the game was undergoing up until the mid-forties, it just poses too much of a challenge to adapt the game engine to them in the first version of FHM. Next time around, we'll work on getting the game able to handle things like forward passes being illegal, minor penalty shots, and so on, and we can go back further.

Stats in Different Eras

One of the nice things about the game engine is its adaptability to different levels of scoring and penalties. So the 1980's can look like the real 1980's in the game, with 100-point seasons being commonplace and a sub-3.00 GAA outstanding.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
So my sister is an LA Kings fan and she watched their way to their first Stanley Cup win. We were talking a bit about this and that, and how she managed to watch it because we live in Australia. A friend of her's gave her the account details to watch the matches live because his team was out of the race.

It's been a very, very long time since I watched ice hockey outside of the Winter Olympics (we're talking something like Wayne Gretzky), but now that I've got the available resources to get back in to it all I need something to satisfy my slumbering love for it.

My only issue is a) picking a team to follow, and b) finding a way to record the live matches or watching the games I want at a later time.

This is where you guys come in. Any advice is welcome. I've always been more of a Chicago fan due to my father supporting the Bears and the Cubs, and I grew up in an era where playing basketball meant you knew who Jordan was (though I've always admired Pippen more) so supporting the Bulls through the glitz and dark years were normal for me even if I don't pay as much attention to the NBA as I used to.

My main concern at the moment is choosing the Blackhawks and not wanting to appear as a band-wagon'er. I know they were pretty good when I was growing up and they won the Stanley Cup a couple of seasons ago, but I suppose it's all about getting the mileage out. I have no connection to Chicago outside of supporting their teams overall, so I guess my ultimate question is, "are the Hawks good to support without appearing like a douchebag?" because I'm trying to avoid a Real Madrid/Manchester United moment.

Smiley90

So my sister is an LA Kings fan and she watched their way to their first Stanley Cup win. We were talking a bit about this and that, and how she managed to watch it because we live in Australia. A friend of her's gave her the account details to watch the matches live because his team was out of the race.

It's been a very, very long time since I watched ice hockey outside of the Winter Olympics (we're talking something like Wayne Gretzky), but now that I've got the available resources to get back in to it all I need something to satisfy my slumbering love for it.

My only issue is a) picking a team to follow, and b) finding a way to record the live matches or watching the games I want at a later time.

This is where you guys come in. Any advice is welcome. I've always been more of a Chicago fan due to my father supporting the Bears and the Cubs, and I grew up in an era where playing basketball meant you knew who Jordan was (though I've always admired Pippen more) so supporting the Bulls through the glitz and dark years were normal for me even if I don't pay as much attention to the NBA as I used to.

My main concern at the moment is choosing the Blackhawks and not wanting to appear as a band-wagon'er. I know they were pretty good when I was growing up and they won the Stanley Cup a couple of seasons ago, but I suppose it's all about getting the mileage out. I have no connection to Chicago outside of supporting their teams overall, so I guess my ultimate question is, "are the Hawks good to support without appearing like a douchebag?" because I'm trying to avoid a Real Madrid/Manchester United moment.

If you pick Chicago right now, you're definitely not a bandwagoner. They won and pretty much blew up the next season because of the salary cap, so now they're still a solid playoff team, but nothing to make you look like a bandwagoner. Also, due to the salary cap (The sum of all contracts of a team can't exceed value x, atm around 70 Mio dollars), a situation like Real Madrid/Manchester United where 1 team with all the money can be successful for years and years doesn't arise in hockey at all. It's usually no one single team dominating.

So you're good with Chicago! There's a lot of Blackhawk fans here. Coincidentally, you will also become my enemy. Kinda. jk.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Nice. Gotta defend those Hawks.

Now I just need to fill my head with catching up on 15 years of NHL that I've missed out on.

MacAttack

c) Finding a league that actually plays games.

but if they ever do start playing games again picking the Blackhawks as a team right now is fine. If you picked the Canucks, then we'd have a problem.

Do any of you fine gents want to play Left 4 Dead?
I have L4D2(steam) and have never really played it. Im installing it now just in case you guys want to get a game going sometime.

Smiley90

c) Finding a league that actually plays games.

but if they ever do start playing games again picking the Blackhawks as a team right now is fine. If you picked the Canucks, then we'd have a problem.

I have L4D2(steam) and have never really played it. Im installing it now just in case you guys want to get a game going sometime.

Don't you have more rivalries to worry about? We're still preoccupied with finally beating the Hawks, we'll worry about you guys once we've lost twice.

But yeah, Hawks are fine, unfortunately you might've picked a lockout season to start following hockey... you have a whole year to catch up! :(

Smiley90

All the times L4D2 has been on sale and you didnt buy it?!? :(

I'm pissed off, I would've been up for killing zombies.

Also, this! FTL is awesome.

Tell me about FTL. I keep seeing it everywhere and it's so cheap, what's with it?

MacAttack

Don't you have more rivalries to worry about? We're still preoccupied with finally beating the Hawks, we'll worry about you guys once we've lost twice.

But yeah, Hawks are fine, unfortunately you might've picked a lockout season to start following hockey... you have a whole year to catch up! :(

Montreal is in some weird "awkward teenager"-esque rebuilding stage right now. Games with them last season were pretty tame. That Vancouver-Boston game was probably the most intense game last season.

Smiley90

Yeah that's fine. I need as much time as possible to catch-up to speed.

It's the best roguelike I have ever played.

A... space... roguelike... wat. Okay I know nothing about the game, all I saw was spaceships and thought it was some sort of 4x/simulation. Tell me more.

Top Bottom