• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

:lol

Ovechkin threatens to leave the NHL if there is a significant salary slash on the new CBA.

ovchkn pls

Someone should tell him he literally can't do that.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...be8989a-0270-11e2-9b24-ff730c7f6312_blog.html

If Ovechkin were to stay in Russia whenever the NHL resumes, he would be in violation of his contract with the Capitals, which runs through the 2020-21 season. The breach of contract would also go against the agreement between the NHL and KHL about honoring each other’s player contracts, would bring sanctions from the IIHF and likely lead to the NHL saying its players can’t participate in the Olympics.

Heretic

:lol

Ovechkin threatens to leave the NHL if there is a significant salary slash on the new CBA.

ovchkn pls
If players felt strongly about their position then they should certainly look at other leagues. I would LOVE to see the look on Bettman's face after a mass exodus of players.

The more I hear from the players the more I hate them. Can't they shut the fuck up like the owners?
Of course not. At this rate, they may not even be able to afford that new Audi for their kid's 16th birthday. They might have to buy a Benz or a BMW. The horror!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'd take a lost season if it lead to Bettman getting pushed out for someone decent.

As bad has Bettman been for the league, a lost season hurts much, much worse.

As bad has Bettman been for the league, a lost season hurts much, much worse.
My one fear, is that in replacing Bettman, we might get a commissioner who won't defend the CBA nearly as hard as he does. The man is riddled with flaws, but if there's one thing he did right, then it was ramming the CBA down the player's throats and making it there.

Someone else might buckle against Fehr and opt for a soft-cap.

My one fear, is that in replacing Bettman, we might get a commissioner who won't defend the CBA nearly as hard as he does. The man is riddled with flaws, but if there's one thing he did right, then it was ramming the CBA down the player's throats and making it there.

Someone else might buckle against Fehr and opt for a soft-cap.

I'm not to keen on what the players want so I can see this as a problem. Though it would allow Ilitch to spend all of his money!!!!! Now I'm conflicted. :(

Marvie_3

Banned
Anyone conflicted about a soft cap should punch themselves in the face repeatedly until they realize what a bad idea a soft cap is.

Anyone conflicted about a soft cap should punch themselves in the face repeatedly until they realize what a bad idea a soft cap is.

Every sport should become the MLB where teams spend insane amounts on money for players who actually sit around, chew gum, and spit on the ground longer than they actually do any physical activity in the game.

Socreges

Banned
Why do you even bring him into the discussion? Someone is acting stupid, try to prove it by using his own arguments on another player who done all that he could for his team?
Easy there, SantaC.

Nice seeing some venom in here. Thought the lockout had chopped everyone's balls off.

Every sport should become the MLB where teams spend insane amounts on money for players who actually sit around, chew gum, and spit on the ground longer than they actually do any physical activity in the game.

What a coincidence, the same guy who implemented that in MLB happens to be leading the Player's Association. He even hired Balsille's old lawyer (Richard Rodier) just so Gary Bettman can have a familiar face in negotiation :)

What a coincidence, the same guy who implemented that in MLB happens to be leading the Player's Association. He even hired Balsille's old lawyer (Richard Rodier) just so Gary Bettman can have a familiar face in negotiation :)

Woooo!!! Can't wait for the New X2 NHL!!

Steroids and PED's to all up and coming stars!!!*

*Includes 50 Million dollar signing bonuses as well.

OV leaving for the KHL would actually probably get the players some concessions. If the league finally realized that they can't dictate the market by using anti-competitive practices (see, e.g. agreement with the KHL) they might actually bargain in good faith rather than simply strong arm the PA with their gov't sanctioned monopoly.

OV leaving for the KHL would actually probably get the players some concessions. If the league finally realized that they can't dictate the market by using anti-competitive practices (see, e.g. agreement with the KHL) they might actually bargain in good faith rather than simply strong arm the PA with their gov't sanctioned monopoly.
Wait, having an agreement that honors signed contracts is anti-competitive now?

TIL

Wait, having an agreement that honors signed contracts is anti-competitive now?

TIL

Forcing THIRD PARTIES to honor contracts? Yes. It is. People should be allowed to breach contracts provided they pay damages. A league like the KHL SHOULD be allowed to entice players to breach their contracts in a competitive market.

Forcing THIRD PARTIES to honor contracts? Yes. It is. People should be allowed to breach contracts provided they pay damages. A league like the KHL SHOULD be allowed to entice players to breach their contracts in a competitive market.

The NHL should let the KHL poach players from its league? No sports league on Earth would be okay with that.

No, they wouldn't. Hence they would have to actually COMPETE IN A MARKET.

Go ahead. Try the economic argument that the NHL isn't a monopoly. I'm excited to hear this one.

So you think that the league should have to outbid not only other NHL teams for players services but also rival leagues? Do you really feel that players are underpaid now?

So you think that the league should have to outbid not only other NHL teams for players services but also rival leagues? Do you really feel that players are underpaid now?

What? The league is bidding against other teams? What the hell are you talking about?

And yes, I DO think teams should have to compete for player salaries. For the record I'm fine with league contraction. Sorry random CBJ and PHX fan in here. You're not worth the damage you do to the league. (Obviously the PA wouldn't agree to this outright, but it's an option.)

What? The league is bidding against other teams? What the hell are you talking about?

And yes, I DO think teams should have to compete for player salaries. For the record I'm fine with league contraction. Sorry random CBJ and PHX fan in here. You're not worth the damage you do to the league. (Obviously the PA wouldn't agree to this outright, but it's an option.)

The teams in the NHL have to bid for player services. Right ow if a team wants to sign a player they have to offer him more then the other teams in the NHL, but they dont have to worry about what some random KHL team would offer that player. You sem to be saying that you want it opened up so that the players could get offers from KHL teams. As an NHL fan I dont see who that would help outside of the players geting more money. Are you a fan of a KHL team?

The teams in the NHL have to bid for player services. Right ow if a team wants to sign a player they have to offer him more then the other teams in the NHL, but they dont have to worry about what some random KHL team would offer that player. You sem to be saying that you want it opened up so that the players could get offers from KHL teams. As an NHL fan I dont see who that would help outside of the players geting more money. Are you a fan of a KHL team?

It would help because we'd have hockey. If the NHL couldn't bully the PA around because of the monopoly they'd have to agree to a deal to prevent the KHL from taking advantage.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Wouldn't competition with the KHL single-handedly take out the purpose of the salary cap?

Marvie_3

Banned

No. It's not.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Why is that Marv? You're the one who claims to love the business of hockey but you don't seem to want them to have to compete.

because making money in sports isnt just about impressing the northeast or any single region. its about network television money and the more potential households you reach with your game, the more money you're worth. that is why baseball can manage with teams that dont draw shit. and when you limit yourself to 6 markets within 200 miles of each other because you've killed off the rest, you can kiss those network tv contracts and all that advertising money goodbye.

because making money in sports isnt just about impressing the northeast or any single region. its about network television money. that is why baseball can manage with teams that dont draw shit. and when you limit yourself to 6 markets within 200 miles of each other because you've killed off the rest, you can kiss those network tv contracts and all that advertising money goodbye.

But think about how good the KHL will be then? We can all watch Locomotiv games on ESPN 3, we wont even need the NHL.

Why do you even bring him into the discussion? Someone is acting stupid, try to prove it by using his own arguments on another player who done all that he could for his team?

It definitely is annoying, alexthekid. I guess they have to say something to draw attention away from alfy being a loser.

because making money in sports isnt just about impressing the northeast or any single region. its about network television money and the more potential households you reach with your game, the more money you're worth. that is why baseball can manage with teams that dont draw shit. and when you limit yourself to 6 markets within 200 miles of each other because you've killed off the rest, you can kiss those network tv contracts and all that advertising money goodbye.

This is a solid argument for why they should improve revenue sharing. Another dumbass move the league refuses to take. Bottom line is if you forced the league to compete for talent they'd be forced to make good management decisions rather than make the players pay for their shitty ones.

But think about how good the KHL will be then? We can all watch Locomotiv games on ESPN 3, we wont even need the NHL.

I'm gonna talk to people who actually have a clue what they're talking about now.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Just took my dog for a walk and a guy walked by me wearing an Anaheim hat.

Wut.

Marvie_3

Banned
Why is that Marv? You're the one who claims to love the business of hockey but you don't seem to want them to have to compete.

Two reasons. The NHLPA would never approve it and the NHL would never go through with it. Contraction is a bullshit negotiating threat and nothing more.
And what sef said.

:lol :lol

I'm gonna talk to people who actually have a clue what they're talking about now.
So I guess you won't be talking to yourself.

sammich

Two reasons. The NHLPA would never approve it and the NHL would never go through with it. Contraction is a bullshit negotiating threat and nothing more.
And what sef said.

:lol :lol

So I guess you won't be talking to yourself.

I dont need to answer. Youre doing a damn good job.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I saw a North Stars jacket today, Hawks jersey yesterday, Ducks jersey before that. In Memoriam of the death of the league no doubt.

I feel like you might be correct, actually.

Met a Tampa fan on friday, saw an old chinese dude with a Maple Leafs hat yesterday, and saw 2 people wearing an Oilers sweater and a Philly hat respectively today.

Honour the fallen league.

This is a solid argument for why they should improve revenue sharing. Another dumbass move the league refuses to take. Bottom line is if you forced the league to compete for talent they'd be forced to make good management decisions rather than make the players pay for their shitty ones.

It's a lot easier to squeeze the players for more money every CBA then it is to get the greedy old fossils on the NHL BoG to implement real revenue sharing.
Relocating the money losing teams won't fix much and will make the cap grow even faster. There will always be revenue disparity between the top NHL markets and the rest(unless you want a 6 team league)

Top Bottom