• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Kifimbo

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Expect statements tonight from all 4 owners who joined talks this week.

Again, this is brilliant. Now the NHL is letting the owners talk. Moderate owners, good guys, a reputation partially created by players, will tell the same story as Bettman, giving their side of the story even more credibility. The players are done.

Cake Boss

Banned
If I were Gary, I would force the owners to send the proposal to each of their players and let them decide, cut the middle man out, tell them if they want to play hockey they need to contact their PA reps.

600 out of 700 will agree to it.

Or you could just put it online.

Marvie_3

Banned
Pretty much what many of us were saying would happen. Too bad the players were too stupid to see it, too.

The players WILL break. You've got a ton of guys like Dan Cleary who know that if they miss a season or more, their career is over.
Cleary will be a Red Wing for at least another decade.

Solo

Yeah, this is where the union will crack. Guys like Crosby can stand strong, as they've got the means to. But the 90% of players who aren't making huge money and don't have endorsements will start breaking ranks. Once more guys pull Hamrliks, its all over for the union.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Then Bettman will claim his new fancy CBA will assist franchises and all 30 teams will be healthy.

5 to 10 years later.

Wait, teams are still losing money. Force another lockout.

Repeat the cycle that started from the 2004 lockout.

Seriously, stop picking sides. Both sides are bullshitters.

It doesn't help he's stubborn about shit teams markets

Socreges

Banned
Again, this is brilliant.

Premise: Now the NHL is letting the owners talk.
Premise: Moderate owners, good guys, a reputation partially created by players, will tell the same story as Bettman, giving their side of the story even more credibility.
Premise: ?__________?

Conclusion: The players are done.
Please fill in the missing premise.

MacAttack

But, but the Boston reporter said we would have a deal.

:lol at Upshall
All he said was that there could be a deal as early as Wednesday based on meetings Monday night (that nobody else reported) . Where would a Boston reporter get that kind of information? Jeremy Jacobs?

So the owners used the media to get some positive spin on their concessions and when they didn't get the response they wanted that possibility went out the window.

Owners negotiating through the media? Shocker.

CCF23

Yeah, this is where the union will crack. Guys like Crosby can stand strong, as they've got the means to. But the 90% of players who aren't making huge money and don't have endorsements will start breaking ranks. Once more guys pull Hamrliks, its all over for the union.

Which is why those guys should be putting pressure on Fehr right now, not when they decertify, a season is wiped, and the offer gets a million times worse.

Solo

Which is why those guys should be putting pressure on Fehr right now.

I think they will. I don't expect the deal will happen until the summer, but I won't be the slightest bit surprised if Fehr is shitbinned within in a month, especially if the NHL axes the season.

I've decided on the analogy that's most applicable here. If you own say a tech startup and want to make a new widget. You don't get to say I will only pay engineers $X dollars because otherwise I won't make a profit. You pay whatever you HAVE to pay to get engineers who can make what you want. The Coyotes are the equivalent of tech startup that wants to make $20 computers but can't afford to do it, so instead they blame the engineers for costing too much.

ShaneB

I get home and see the press conference, with the TSN caption "It's Over". I was expecting it to roll over and say "NHL cancels season"

God dammit.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I've decided on the analogy that's most applicable here. If you own say a tech startup and want to make a new widget. You don't get to say I will only pay engineers $X dollars because otherwise I won't make a profit. You pay whatever you HAVE to pay to get engineers who can make what you want. The Coyotes are the equivalent of tech startup that wants to make $20 computers but can't afford to do it, so instead they blame the engineers for costing too much.

You don't understand economics or the issues with the current system.

Please, you're making this mathematicians' nose bleed.

Solo

The long and the short of pro sports labor negotiations for me is this:

The owners give the players a living. Not the other way around. The owners are all independently rich of their own means. The players are rich but dependent on the owners. Thus, the owners will always will the labor dispute.

You don't understand economics or the issues with the current system.

Please, you're making this mathematicians' nose bleed.

I do understand. You think the CBA should make every team profitable. I honestly don't. Not every business makes money every year. The CBA should create an environment where reasonably successful teams CAN be successful. Numerous PA proposals would accomplish that. I perfectly understand your argument. I disagree with the fundamental philosophy.

Cake Boss

Banned

steve-harvey-wut-o.gif

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
The players are so fucked.

The owners offered "make whole" ONLY on the assumption that a whole season - and then a partial season - would be played. The players called their bluff and tried to negotiate even more. The owners blinked and gave them a little more. The players called their bluff and tried to negotiate even more. The owners got pissed off and chose their "hill to die on".

If there's no season and no revenues this year, "make whole" is off the table. You might not agree with the owner's stubbornness, but the owners actions have been mostly rational and predictable. The players are fucked. Good.

MacAttack

Nothing gets me engaged in a discussion like some good widget talk.

Zzzzzzzzz!

:lol I'm just kidding, keep fighting the good fight. We need someone to balance all the NHL sack lathering around here.

Solo

Nothing gets me engaged in a discussion like some good widget talk.

Zzzzzzzzz!

:lol I'm just kidding, keep fighting the good fight. We need someone to balance all the NHL sack lathering around here.

You're too young to be talking about sack lathering, Mckayla.

Merguson

Banned
Merguson, I'll elaborate.

You've got a 7 year CBA that outlines the rules. 30 owners are trying to compete with each other to have the most successful team. They do what they can to be competitive, knowing that the other 29 might/will take advantage of what they can. If you don't exploit what you can (eg, long term contracts), you're often left behind, even if it's something you'd rather not be doing. Consider it this way: it's basically like an arms race. If all sides could wipe nukes from existence and ensure that they never returned, they'd choose to do that.

The problem is that the owners are still willing to do these type of contracts even though they didn't have to. Their players were RFAs. There was no season upcoming. No competition.

All they had to do was wait.

Whatever, I got myself into this, again. I'm done. I don't want to be bothered to follow the lockout news.

The 2012-2013 NHL Season is obviously finished.

cube444

I'm honestly glad there's a chance for no season and I love it. Who wants to see a 48 game season after all this BS. I'm not lying when I say that I won't even watch a minute of hockey if they return this season.

At most, I'll follow the box scores.

I agree, but I think the NHLPA needs better reps.
No kidding. Bring Trevor Linden back.

Who thought it was a good idea to bring in someone who has a history of shitting the bed in labour negotiations, has zero ties to the sport, and is responsible for more cancelled seasons than for making good deals.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I do understand. You think the CBA should make every team profitable. I honestly don't. Not every business makes money every year. The CBA should create an environment where reasonably successful teams CAN be successful. Numerous PA proposals would accomplish that. I perfectly understand your argument. I disagree with the fundamental philosophy.

No, you don't understand my argument

My recommended system is mass pool and every team pays a percentage of every dollar (42-44 cents)

I believe every team should be ABLE to profit

18 unprofitable teams is largely the result of a horrible alignment towards NHL players

But keep lapping up everything the nhlpa says

It's not a strike. It's a lockout.

It's more a strike than a lockout

The mechanism that caused this situation was a lockout, yes. But NHL way under realized Canadian growth... Nhlpa wouldn't negotiate... Just wants to play under last CBA (which turned sour, largely on bad HRR%)

Its a lockout, yes, but the antagonist is the nhlpa, not the nhl.

Move all the Southern US teams to the Northern USA and Canada where people actually care about the sport.

Apparently having more teams making money in the NHL is bad for the league according to Dopey. Unless we can make PHX profitable.....

Yes Dopey, I get your argument on it. I still don't think adding two profitable teams will elevate the cap beyond where those fringe teams are competitive.

No, you don't understand my argument

My recommended system is mass pool and every team pays a percentage of every dollar (42-44 cents)

I believe every team should be ABLE to profit

18 unprofitable teams is largely the result of a horrible alignment towards NHL players

But keep lapping up everything the nhlpa says

Making PHX ABLE to profit is an artificial system depressing wages. The cap already is that, but you're taking it to an unreasonable extreme. It's lowest common denominator bargaining.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
What a fucking circus, I'd laugh if I didn't want to cry.

At least Gally has a goal so far in his game tonight.

JABEE

The long and the short of pro sports labor negotiations for me is this:

The owners give the players a living. Not the other way around. The owners are all independently rich of their own means. The players are rich but dependent on the owners. Thus, the owners will always will the labor dispute.

The league is built on great players. What separates the NHL from other hockey leagues is its high level of competition. Nothing is given.

I still can't believe any of you thought there'd be some glimmer of hope. Shit was bad the minute the players said they weren't going to do anything with Fehr's input.

Socreges

Banned
The problem is that the owners are still willing to do these type of contracts even though they didn't have to. Their players were RFAs. There was no season upcoming. No competition.

All they had to do was wait.

Whatever, I got myself into this, again. I'm done. I don't want to be bothered to follow the lockout news.

The 2012-2013 NHL Season is obviously finished.
Well, for one, they didn't know if there would be a season, nor what the future CBA would look like. So they were operating under the same principles. And if you're talking about Shea Weber, his contract is a perfect example of what I was saying. The Flyers signed him to the offer sheet, partly in order to prevent their competitors (eg, the Penguins) from acquiring him. The Predators matched in order to retain him as a player since he's the cornerstone of their franchise, despite never wanting to pay him that much money. Preemptive arms race gone mad. That's what happens.

CCF23

The league is built on great players. What separates the NHL from other hockey leagues is its high level of competition. Nothing is given.

...But it is given, that's the thing. The players talent alone isn't what makes the league successful, especially when it comes to a "fringe" sport like hockey.

Socreges

Banned
No kidding. Bring Trevor Linden back.

Who thought it was a good idea to bring in someone who has a history of shitting the bed in labour negotiations, has zero ties to the sport, and is responsible for more cancelled seasons than for making good deals.
I was actually talking about bruce and JABEE.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Doesn't really matter which side you, um, side with.
Both were handsomely rewarded under the last CBA. Both would have been handsomely rewarded under the new CBA. 43% vs. 57%, 50% vs. 50%, etc. etc. It doesn't really matter. They are both compensated well.

This lockout is an example of a failure in negotiations. Not because one side is wrong and the other is right, but because both sides fucking suck at negotiating.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
@reporterchris Hainsey says NHL told players last night that bringing Don Fehr back into the room was potentially "a deal-breaker"

Top Bottom