• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My favorite part of this statement from Cleary is that if they lose 2 years his career is over and he gets no more money from the NHL.

ShaneB

I wish players would get fined for saying dumb shit. If the only thing each side is going to do is brag about how long they can hold out, I'd rather everyone just shut the hell up until it's done, whenever that is!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405999

This has gotten depressing pretty quickly. We're still in September and they're already talking like it's going to be one season down the drain.

I would be shocked beyond all belief if the lockout went 2 seasons. That's a lot of money for players who are used to a certain lifestyle to go without. Or heck forget the star players, the fringe ones or middling players who don't get the superstar money would really be suffering.

Plus factor in the precious public image the players want to keep would go right down the drain.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8...oner-bill-daly-hoping-labor-talks-resume-week
The NHL and NHL Players' Association were back in the same room Monday, but it was not, however, to resume stalled labor talks.

Instead, the league and players' union had a previously scheduled meeting dealing with hashing out last season's hockey-related revenue numbers.

When they came out of the four-hour meeting Monday, there still wasn't any official plan to resume bargaining talks.

"No bargaining scheduled, but we have kept in close contact," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told a handful of media outside the league's Toronto offices. "It's fair to say both sides are working, but they're working internally right now."

Daly said he and NHL commissioner Gary Bettman were scheduled to attend a players' alumni dinner in Toronto later on Monday night and that there was the expectation of touching base there with NHLPA executive director Don Fehr and his brother, NHLPA counsel Steve Fehr.

"Hopefully, we'll be able to talk about that a little bit,'' Daly said.

Asked if he felt bargaining talks would resume by the end of the week, Daly responded: "I hope so.''

The lack of urgency is awesome.

calder

It's going to be a while before either side is really urgent about much. For the players missing training camp and exhibition games is a complete positive, and the owners know they have little to no leverage until the players miss their first paycheque.

Sigh.

CREMSteve

Somebody asked for more Kayla Price pictures? Don't mind if I do

8yaFe.jpg

ABlHi.jpg

Where are these pics coming from?

Solo

You completely misunderstand. By "fuck the NHL", I mean fuck the owners, fuck the players, Gary Bettman, fuck Donald Fehr, the executive staff, fuck all of them.

No, fuck the NHL players.

Hey, let's 2 years worth of salary to fight for 10% of our wage.

The owners have zero reason to buckle here, the players are fools for thinking they can win this.

Are you serious? Why would they have zero reason? You don´t think that a long lockout will hurt the revenue hard as hell? They should be glad that they have a long tv-deal in front of them. If I was an NBC executive though, I wouldn´t sign a longterm deal with NHL just a couple of years before a lockout ever again.

Hockey interest in the US was starting to build up, I don´t know how many people I met there who started following the NHL after the olympics, and some of them where pretty big fans now.

Solo

The irony in the very revenues owners/players are arguing over shrinking greatly after a 2 year lay off would be delicious.

Totally hypothetical question with no real thought about whether or not it would work:

If it helped end the lockout, would you accept ads on jerseys? If yes, to what extent?

Rodeo Clown

Totally hypothetical question with no real thought about whether or not it would work:

If it helped end the lockout, would you accept ads on jerseys? If yes, to what extent?

As long as the ads aren't obtrusive, it doesn't really matter. It's an inevitability I accepted after the NBA announced that they are putting ads on jerseys for next season.

No, keep that tacky trash in soccer and the lesser hockey leagues.
F U

But yeah I agree. The league doesn´t have a problem that can´t be solved without taking in extra revenue that might be negative long term.

Just look at this:
images

Would be beautiful without all the clutter, now it just looks like shit.

EDIT: And soccer is a whole other thing, since it isn´t as heavily influenced from the US, the logos are usually really old and not the kind of thing that you make as cool and big as possible and put it on the middle of the shirt to sell to 12 year olds(cough sharks and half of the other teams in the NHL). So one big sponsor on the chest aren´t as bad as a lot of small ones that you see on hockey shirt around the crest.

Rodeo Clown

Instead of total clutter, image like a small patch on the upper part of the chest or something. That's what I think NHL ads would be. At least initially.

Would it bother me if the Wild had a small Target logo on the jerseys? After the initial shock, not really. It's easy to ignore.

Instead of total clutter, image like a small patch on the upper part of the chest or something. That's what I think NHL ads would be. At least initially.

Would it bother me if the Wild had a small Target logo on the jerseys? After the initial shock, not really. It's easy to ignore.

It would just continue to escalate i think. Most of the Swedish teams has gone from one sponsor from one big local company to a million small ads that looks like shit.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I for one welcome our new sponsor covered jersey overlords.

I look forward to watching the Tampax Phoenix Coyotes.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Ian Furness ‏@IanKJR
Breaking. A group representing the #Edmonton Oilers, including team president, owner was in Seattle today taking a tour of Key Arena. #NHL

I want Seattle to get a team.

Top Bottom