• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

If we can drug test people before they get federal/state aid, we can certainly fucking give people buying guns a background check and a psych test. Why do so many people act like that's a HUGE "affront" to their liberties?

Because the only reason the government would want to take your guns away, is to oppress you more.

Wake up sheeple. You live in FACISM. Obama's America is literally Nazi Germany.

I laughed pretty hard at this. I wonder what Timmy T has to say about gun control laws.

All this player stuff is part of the plan. Team Hope is the hill we die on damn it!

Thank you. Glad someone did.
If we can drug test people before they get federal/state aid, we can certainly fucking give people buying guns a background check and a psych test. Why do so many people act like that's a HUGE "affront" to their liberties?

Because NRA.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
How in the fuck does Craig Button have a job at TSN? Here's his top 30 prospects in hockey:

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9601

1. Alex Galchenyuk
2. Alex Galchenyuk
3. Alex Galchenyuk
4. Alex Galchenyuk
5. Alex Galchenyuk
6. Alex Galchenyuk
7. Alex Galchenyuk
8. Alex Galchenyuk
9. Alex Galchenyuk
10. Alex Galchenyuk
11. Alex Galchenyuk
12. Alex Galchenyuk
13. Alex Galchenyuk
14. Alex Galchenyuk
15. Alex Galchenyuk
16. Alex Galchenyuk
17. Alex Galchenyuk
18. Alex Galchenyuk
19. Alex Galchenyuk
20. Alex Galchenyuk
21. Alex Galchenyuk
22. Alex Galchenyuk
23. Alex Galchenyuk
24. Alex Galchenyuk
25. Alex Galchenyuk
26. Alex Galchenyuk
27. Alex Galchenyuk
28. Alex Galchenyuk
29. Alex Galchenyuk
30. Alex Galchenyuk

Schultz above Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Yakupov and Galchenyuk?

Rielly above Hamilton, Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Huberdeau and Strome?

LOOOOOOOOL

What a clown
Here ya go, Red Man

Port Arthur, Australia 1996: Martin Bryant kills 35 people and injures 23 with a semi-automatic rifle.

John Howard, Australian Prime Minister, steps in and introduces strong gun control legislation, a buy-back program, and the absolute totalitarian control of all semi-automatic rifles within the country.

Sidenote: Martin Bryan suffered from intellectual disabilities.

Monash University, 2002: Huan Yun "Allen" Xiang shot up his classmates and a teacher. Killing 2 and injuring 5.

Armed with 6 loaded handguns. Xiang had exploited a loophole in gun control laws and was a licensed member of the Sporting Shooters Association of Australia in April 2002.

Sidenote: Xiang was suffering from paranoid delusions and is serving out his 25 year term in a psychiatric hospital.

John Howard, initiated another review of Australian gun laws after it was discovered that Xiang had acquired his firearms legally. The Victorian State Government prepared new laws doubling the punishment for misuse of handguns and introducing new laws against trafficking in handguns after the shooting, and all other states followed.

Number of massacres Australia has had since then pertaining to an individual able to acquire a firearm through a legal vendor: 0.

One thing to note from the Monash university article...

Shooting massacres in Australia and other English-speaking countries often occurred close together in time. Forensic psychiatrists attribute this to copycat behaviour, which is in many cases triggered by sensational media treatment. Mass murderers study media reports and imitate the actions and equipment that are sensationalised in them. The Monash shooting occurred at the height of publicity for the Beltway sniper attacks, which was extremely prominent from 3 October to the arrest of the perpetrators on 24 October 2002, three days after the Monash shootings.

EDIT: Then again I seem to be preaching to the choir, for the most part, in here and my post is probably better served in the Newtown thread.

Quick

Banned
How's the movie. The reviews are less than encouraging. 66% on Rotten Tomatoes, 42% from Top Critics.

I enjoyed the hell out of it. Less "The Hobbit", more "The Company of Dwarves". IMAX 3D looked great, too. Bit dark in parts, but great. Desolation of Smaug should be good.

I think that people will have a better opinion of it when they see the trilogy together, or in retrospect.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
How in the fuck does Craig Button have a job at TSN? Here's his top 30 prospects in hockey:

1. Justin Schultz
2. Evgeny Kuznetsov
3. Vladimir Tarasenko
4. Morgan Rielly
5. Nail Yakupov
6. Alex Galchenyuk
7. Mark Scheifele
8. Sven Baertschi
9. Jonathan Huberdeau
10. Ryan Strome
11. Brett Ritchie
12. Dougie Hamilton
13. Mikael Granlund
14. Nick Bjugstad
15. Malcolm Subban
16. Jakob Silfverberg
17. Jonas Brodin
18. Oscar Klefbom
19. Calle Jarnkrok
20. John Gaudreau
21. Jacob Trouba
22. Austin Watson
23. Mika Zibanejad
24. Andrei Vasilevski
25. Hampus Lindholm
26. Ryan Muray
27. Filip Forsberg
28. Mikhail Grigorenko
29. Jaden Schwartz
30. Boone Jenner

LOOOOOOOOL

What a clown
Horrible list. Yakupov should be #1 ;)
It's too bad Oscar Klefbom is out for the year.
Oilers fans would've had RNH (Canada), Yakupov (Russia), and Klefbom (Sweden), among others to cheer for at the World Juniors.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I enjoyed the hell out of it. Less "The Hobbit", more "The Company of Dwarves". IMAX 3D looked great, too. Bit dark in parts, but great. Desolation of Smaug should be good.

I think that people will have a better opinion of it when they see the trilogy together, or in retrospect.
The majority of the reviews have said it's more of the LOTR which I am A OK with, and I'm glad they made it into 3 movies. More awesomeness for me to watch.

Interesting stat I saw on twitter about the gun control stuff: Australia suffered 13 mass murders between 1981 and 1996. In the 16 years since our gun law reforms: zero. No more excuses please America.

Edit: Here you go Spectre

AnderN20110112_low.jpg

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
The majority of the reviews have said it's more of the LOTR which I am A OK with, and I'm glad they made it into 3 movies. More awesomeness for me to watch.

Interesting stat I saw on twitter about the gun control stuff: Australia suffered 13 mass murders between 1981 and 1996. In the 16 years since our gun law reforms: zero. No more excuses please America.

Edit: Here you go Spectre

AnderN20110112_low.jpg

Port Arthur, Australia 1996: Martin Bryant kills 35 people and injures 23 with a semi-automatic rifle.

John Howard, Australian Prime Minister, steps in and introduces strong gun control legislation, a buy-back program, and the absolute totalitarian control of all semi-automatic rifles within the country.

Monash University, 2002: Huan Yun "Allen" Xiang shot up his classmates and a teacher. Killing 2 and injuring 5.

Armed with 6 loaded handguns. Xiang had exploited a loophole in gun control laws and was a licensed member of the Sporting Shooters Association of Australia in April 2002.

Sidenote: Xiang was suffering from paranoid delusions and is serving out his 25 year term in a psychiatric hospital.

John Howard, initiated another review of Australian gun laws after it was discovered that Xiang had acquired his firearms legally. The Victorian State Government prepared new laws doubling the punishment for misuse of handguns and introducing new laws against trafficking in handguns after the shooting, and all other states followed.

Number of massacres Australia has had since then pertaining to an individual able to acquire a firearm through a legal vendor: 0.

EDIT: Then again I seem to be preaching to the choir, for the most part, in here and my post is probably better served in the Newtown thread.

Did you just overgo Dastardly to quote twitter instead? :D

Socreges

Banned

Thanks for posting this. Fascinating stuff. Please post it in the gun control threads if you haven't already. Some people need a dose of straight up facts when logic alone doesn't do it.

And you're preaching to the choir, sure... but part of me hopes Crazed will eventually be persuaded by our arguments. Until that day he'll sigh, roll his eyes, cluck his tongue, stroke his beard and ask what's to be done with this NHL GAF.

Smiley90

Thanks for posting this. Fascinating stuff. Please post it in the gun control threads if you haven't already. Some people need a dose of straight up facts when logic alone doesn't do it.

And you're preaching to the choir, sure... but part of me hopes Crazed will eventually be persuaded by our arguments. Until that day he'll sigh, roll his eyes, cluck his tongue, stroke his beard and ask what's to be done with this NHL GAF.

He has a beard? Potential muslim terrorist, right there.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

I thought he was sighing because we were talking about it in the NHL thread?.....At least I hope so

A racist like you would say this

Smiley90

1. Justin Schultz
2. Evgeny Kuznetsov
3. Vladimir Tarasenko
4. Morgan Rielly
5. Nail Yakupov
6. Alex Galchenyuk
7. Mark Scheifele
8. Sven Baertschi
9. Jonathan Huberdeau
10. Ryan Strome
11. Brett Ritchie
12. Dougie Hamilton
13. Mikael Granlund
14. Nick Bjugstad
15. Malcolm Subban
16. Jakob Silfverberg
17. Jonas Brodin
18. Oscar Klefbom
19. Calle Jarnkrok
20. John Gaudreau
21. Jacob Trouba
22. Austin Watson
23. Mika Zibanejad
24. Andrei Vasilevski
25. Hampus Lindholm
26. Ryan Muray
27. Filip Forsberg
28. Mikhail Grigorenko
29. Jaden Schwartz
30. Boone Jenner

LOOOOOOOOL

What a clown
Do you need to be drafted to be called a prospect, otherwise that list seriously misses Elias Lindholm. But yeah, joke list overall so it doesn't matter. I also like how he bumped all the Swedish players together.

Smiley90

Do you need to be drafted to be called a prospect, otherwise that list seriously misses Elias Lindholm. But yeah, joke list overall so it doesn't matter. I also like how he bumped all the Swedish players together.

MacKinnon isnt on the list, so I'd assume he only listed drafted players.

I don´t understand how they can rank all those kids from all over the world, they must watch an incredible amount of hockey. I have seen some of the players for hundreds of games but most of that list I haven´t seen at all(apart from the few games at WJC.) And I feel like the players i´ve seen week in and week are the best prospects in the world :p

Julian Assange at 25? Suck a dick.

He's just going off of a hybrid of draft selection and where the scouts ranked them.

Thanks man! Yeah posted in there right after I posted in here. Sometimes a comparison to how the rest of the world deals with an issue brings some real contrast. Like Portugal and the War on Drugs etc.

ShaneB

I don´t understand how they can rank all those kids from all over the world, they must watch an incredible amount of hockey. I have seen some of the players for hundreds of games but most of that list I haven´t seen at all(apart from the few games at WJC.) And I feel like the players i´ve seen week in and week are the best prospects in the world :p

These guys are hockey 24/7. From the time they wake up until they go to bed is pretty much all hockey. I'd definitely go crazy knowing how many interests I have to be so devoted to one area. It's why I think I might be better off If I had like 3 or 4 part time jobs. lol

Also, I need to stay away from that school shooting thread :( Breaks my heart every time. Can't imagine how I'd feel if I had young kids of my own :*(

I debated even replying since I'm not in the mood for any argument and it is completely OT, but I'll just throw this out there and just leave it at that.

I thought he was sighing because we were talking about it in the NHL thread?.....At least I hope so

I was sighing for that and the amount of idiocy I saw in the gun thread earlier, or at least what I could wade through in there. As I posted earlier, what happened was extremely devastating and is a complete tragedy, no doubt about that. However what bugs me to no end is how many people seem to have absolutely no knowledge of firearms on here aside from some wikipedia article they quickly looked or god forbid from playing a video game and thinking they are an expert. Great example was when someone posted a picture in the gun thread of an AR-15 with a rifle scope, bi-pod, and by the looks of it a 20 round magazine with a magpul butt stock and different hand grip and saying this was the possible weapon the shooter used. Then I just constantly read post after post of people quoting it and saying, "OMG, how can you even get that!!" or "Nobody should be able to own something that dangerous!!" or "No wonder he was able to kill so many" etc....

It really showed how clueless most people are on here in regards to firearms. What it showed was how people leaped before they looked. I mean really? Anyone with even basic firearms knowledge would realize how stupid of a picture that was to post and how he was able to kill everyone (now I believe we know he just used handguns). I'm not going to get into specifics because I could spend a long time telling you why that weapon that was posted and commented on is a poor choice for any close quarters action (a rifle scope should have given that away). I seriously couldn't read much more after that with how many times that image was quoted and the false comments associated with it. It just bugged me to no end to see people spouting BS when they have no knowledge of something, I mean for anything else on GAF you would be ripped apart for it, but considering it was going with the flow of what people believed, it was considered true on here. I have rambled on too much, there are other examples as well I saw (people's unrealistic gun control ideas, complete generalizations of gun owners, people who have a lot of guns are ticking time bombs, etc...) but I'm not even going to bother with those as I'm not Soc and I don't feel like writing a book on my opinions. :p

I did, but I shaved it off last week, was bothering me too much.

Sorry Soc, there is a zero percent chance anything you or anyone else will say on here that will make me have a radical change of mind. Nor do I feel anything I will say will have any effect on what you believe. I mean, I have been on GAF for 4 years and still consider myself Christian-Conservative, it pretty much is the opposite of what should happen in terms of surrounding yourself with people of similar views, thus strengthening your ideologies as you hear them from other people and not just yourself. My views are my own views, not others. For the most part now a days (not all the time I know) I keep my mouth shut with stuff like this as I know that A: I don't want to argue over it. B: Anything I say will not change your mind on the subject. C: Anything you say will not change my mind on the subject.

Once again, I'm surprised I'm even bothering with this post, but since I was somewhat called out or at least talked about (go figure) I might as well just get it out there. So go ahead, tear me a part, call me out on things, call me an evil gun owning nut, etc... not like it hasn't been said on here before and I haven't heard it. I enjoy shooting, I understand and enjoy firearms, I have been trained and I know how to handle them when the majority of people here do not. They have been a part of my family for a very long time, with all of us knowing the proper use of them and the consequences that can also befall from them. Crazy people will be crazy, it is when the the actions of one generalize the mass of gun owners who are actually law abiding citizens is when I get pissed off and when people post about something they obviously have no knowledge about outside of the internet or games. /rant

And now back to your regularly scheduled non-hockey news!

Smiley90

I debated even replying since I'm not in the mood for any argument and it is completely OT, but I'll just throw this out there and just leave it at that.

I was sighing for that and the amount of idiocy I saw in the gun thread earlier, or at least what I could wade through in there. As I posted earlier, what happened was extremely devastating and is a complete tragedy, no doubt about that. However what bugs me to no end is how many people seem to have absolutely no knowledge of firearms on here aside from some wikipedia article they quickly looked or god forbid from playing a video game and thinking they are an expert. Great example was when someone posted a picture in the gun thread of an AR-15 with a rifle scope, bi-pod, and by the looks of it a 20 round magazine with a magpul butt stock and different hand grip and saying this was the possible weapon the shooter used. Then I just constantly read post after post of people quoting it and saying, "OMG, how can you even get that!!" or "Nobody should be able to own something that dangerous!!" or "No wonder he was able to kill so many" etc....

It really showed how clueless most people are on here in regards to firearms. What it showed was how people leaped before they looked. I mean really? Anyone with even basic firearms knowledge would realize how stupid of a picture that was to post and how he was able to kill everyone (now I believe we know he just used handguns). I'm not going to get into specifics because I could spend a long time telling you why that weapon that was posted and commented on is a poor choice for any close quarters action (a rifle scope should have given that away). I seriously couldn't read much more after that with how many times that image was quoted and the false comments associated with it. It just bugged me to no end to see people spouting BS when they have no knowledge of something, I mean for anything else on GAF you would be ripped apart for it, but considering it was going with the flow of what people believed, it was considered true on here. I have rambled on too much, there are other examples as well I saw (people's unrealistic gun control ideas, complete generalizations of gun owners, people who have a lot of guns are ticking time bombs, etc...) but I'm not even going to bother with those as I'm not Soc and I don't feel like writing a book on my opinions. :p

I did, but I shaved it off last week, was bothering me too much.

Sorry Soc, there is a zero percent chance anything you or anyone else will say on here that will make me have a radical change of mind. Nor do I feel anything I will say will have any effect on what you believe. I mean, I have been on GAF for 4 years and still consider myself Christian-Conservative, it pretty much is the opposite of what should happen in terms of surrounding yourself with people of similar views, thus strengthening your ideologies as you hear them from other people and not just yourself. My views are my own views, not others. For the most part now a days (not all the time I know) I keep my mouth shut with stuff like this as I know that A: I don't want to argue over it. B: Anything I say will not change your mind on the subject. C: Anything you say will not change my mind on the subject.

Once again, I'm surprised I'm even bothering with this post, but since I was somewhat called out or at least talked about (go figure) I might as well just get it out there. So go ahead, tear me a part, call me out on things, call me an evil gun owning nut, etc... not like it hasn't been said on here before and I haven't heard it. I enjoy shooting, I understand and enjoy firearms, I have been trained and I know how to handle them when the majority of people here do not. They have been a part of my family for a very long time, with all of us knowing the proper use of them and the consequences that can also befall from them. Crazy people will be crazy, it is when the the actions of one generalize the mass of gun owners who are actually law abiding citizens is when I get pissed off and when people post about something they obviously have no knowledge about outside of the internet or games. /rant

And now back to your regularly scheduled non-hockey news!

I'm gonna quote the philosopher-group "Disturbed" here:

"Disturbed
IM A GUN OWNER. HAVE BEEN FOR YEARS. I BELIEVE IN THE 2ND AMENDMENT. BUT I WOULD GIVE THEM ALL UP IF IT MEANT SAVING JUST ONE CHILD'S LIFE.

-DAVID"

Also, I find it slightly sad that you read a thread about whether or not stricter gun laws would have prevented the murder of 20 innocent children and what disturbs you most is that people don't know guns well enough. Well. I don't think it matters whether or not you know the most distinctions between different gun types, it doesn't change the essence of the matter, which is:

Countries with either a) better health care and/or b) stricter gun control laws have less mass shootings like the recent one, and like America.

It makes me sad that there can't be a real discussion about it in the USA, not even after events like this. It makes zero sens, apart from the NRA having too much power, and people thinking universal health care = communism.

Noone here is asking you to become anti-gun, you can have your pro-guns opinions all you want. As long as your opinions don't hurt others, I have no business telling you what to believe. We're unfortunately at a point where your beliefs DO hurt others though. Sad you can't see that though.

PS: can we PLEASE start calling people like that Terrorists too and not reserve the term for foreign non-white, non-christian people? Please?

I had a whole thing written out, but I told myself I'm not going to get into this argument. I'll just say I disagree with you that it doesn't matter about firearm knowledge (or even gun culture for that matter) and believe it is a crucial part if you want to discuss any sort of gun control and leave it at that.

It makes me sad that there can't be a real discussion about it in the USA, not even after events like this. It makes zero sens, apart from the NRA having too much power, and people thinking universal health care = communism.

Noone here is asking you to become anti-gun, you can have your pro-guns opinions all you want. As long as your opinions don't hurt others, I have no business telling you what to believe. We're unfortunately at a point where your beliefs DO hurt others though. Sad you can't see that though.

PS: can we PLEASE start calling people like that Terrorists too and not reserve the term for foreign non-white, non-christian people? Please?
Personally as a gun owner we all should be in favor of more Brady type laws and screening. That said a lot of the stupidity flows from the NRA. IMO they are long divorced from being advocates of responsible gun owners. They are, as they are now, a simple boogey-man for the right wing "OUR FREEEEDOMS" at the beckon of the right wing. I think they shouldn't be obsessed with removing handgun bans but rather focused on changing the gun culture in the US to a more educated and pragmatic approach.

Sportsmen, collecting, and enthusiasts are all fine. There is though a line where you have people advertising they are ready to kill and proclaiming their gun collections as a measure of manliness. That is the problem for me, and personally they are not fit to own firearms. I think a gun owning permit system is needed much like the CC systems in states. Lets say every 2 years you have a permit renewed with a test and a psychiatric evaluation.

The sad thing is that no one will be for responsible ownership laws and we will see the bi polar discussion of either abolition or "MORE GUNS."

Edit- The only sniper we should talk about is Huberdeau from now on.

The label 'terrorist' is traditionally applied to a person who commits acts of violence that are justified by some kind of political/social/economic/religious idea, not to a person who commits an act of violence because of mental illness, or personal reasons (revenge et cetera). Besides, we do call white, Christian (and atheist), European/N.American people terrorists all the time: Irish Republicans, Irish Unionists, the ETA, anti-abortion bombers and shooters, to name a few.

Re Button's list, there's nothing controversial that I can see. He's ranking high players whom are currently enjoying some kind of success - which is I suppose the most reliable way of judging potential.

Also, Jays in for Dickey. DICKEY. smh.

CREMSteve

It angers me to no end to watch players and owners bickers over their millions while children are being gunned down in their kindergarten class.

Get some damn perspective.

I understand it's not a fair argument, but it bothers me nonetheless.

Top Bottom