• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
You can't really see him with the 100lbs of equipment goalies now wear though.

HNIC doing a poll:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockeynightincanada/yourpick/

Which Hockey Night in Canada Classic game do you want to watch this coming Saturday (October 13th)?

May 10, 1979 - Boston vs. Montreal
Oct 8, 1992 - Montreal vs. Ottawa
May 25, 1994 - NY Rangers vs. New Jersey
Dec 27, 2000 - Toronto vs. Pittsburgh
May 1, 1993 - Toronto vs. Detroit

Toronto vs. Detroit!

I still remember watching that in my parent's room and then running around the house yelling and dancing after the goal.

Marvie_3

Banned
Right. Because why would you assume that someone who is widely considered one of the best athletes in their sport is just a fierce competitor who dislikes being unable to play?

He isn't unable to play. If he wants to play so bad he can sign in Europe like other players. He's not going to make nearly as much there which is why he's pissed.

WOOOOOO IT ONLY TOOK 3 MONTHS FOR A NEW PROPOSAL WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'm sure it'll just be Fehr's used toilet paper like their other proposals.

Socreges

Banned
Don't expect any serious proposals for at least a couple more months. Until things get riskier (ie, oh no we may lose an entire season) , they'll use these opportunities to show how headstrong and unified they are.

You can't really see him with the 100lbs of equipment goalies now wear though.

HNIC doing a poll:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockeynightincanada/yourpick/

Which Hockey Night in Canada Classic game do you want to watch this coming Saturday (October 13th)?

May 10, 1979 - Boston vs. Montreal
Oct 8, 1992 - Montreal vs. Ottawa
May 25, 1994 - NY Rangers vs. New Jersey
Dec 27, 2000 - Toronto vs. Pittsburgh
May 1, 1993 - Toronto vs. Detroit
Holy Eastern bias, Batman

Cake Boss

Banned
Players don't seem to understand that the owners have other streams of revenue and not entirely dependent on hockey games like the players are. There is a reason why they are owners, they have multiple investments on other things than just hockey, thats why the owners will never cave.

Merguson

Banned
According to Howard Berger.. we might be seeing the end of the NHL Season 2012-2013 a lot sooner than we think.

#NHL will only cancel two more 14-day segments before pulling plug on the season. No more postponements after U.S. Thanksgiving. #Leafs

Still.. it's Howard Berger.. so take it with a grain of salt...

According to Howard Berger.. we might be seeing the end of the NHL Season 2012-2013 a lot sooner than we think.

I cant see how that could be the case. If they canceled the season in Nov. and then got a deal in Dec. they would look incredibly stupid.

Marvie_3

Banned
I cant see how that could be the case. If they canceled the season in Nov. and then got a deal in Dec. they would look incredibly stupid.

If they cancel the season in November there's no way a deal gets done in December. Neither side will want to negotiate until next summer.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

What an absolute disaster for the league. Rising popularity? Rising ratings? More income? SHUT IT DOWN.

ZeroGravity

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd actually be in favor of the league shutting down the entire season in November than having this thing drag into January/February and then shutting it down, OR getting the deal done then and having a sham of a season with a Cup final that goes well into July.

At least with the threat of cancelling the season earlier, it actually puts a meaningful deadline that the players (theoretically) will have to respect and seriously negotiate before, and if it works we can still have a somewhat decent season salvaged. Unless I'm missing something, the way both sides are going, the issue needs to be forced sooner rather than later.

Solo

Was this posted?

5507159_460s.jpg

It's fake.

The real sign was funnier anyways.

Socreges

Banned
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd actually be in favor of the league shutting down the entire season in November than having this thing drag into January/February and then shutting it down, OR getting the deal done then and having a sham of a season with a Cup final that goes well into July.

At least with the threat of cancelling the season earlier, it actually puts a meaningful deadline that the players (theoretically) will have to respect and seriously negotiate before, and if it works we can still have a somewhat decent season salvaged. Unless I'm missing something, the way both sides are going, the issue needs to be forced sooner rather than later.
I've seen someone else say this, too, and even though I'm tempted to agree just because... I don't actually understand the logic. When a team has the best record over 82 games, it's meaningless. The regular season doesn't matter, many say. What matters is the 16 wins against 4 opponents. BUT if those 82 games are cut in half, and the all-important 4 playoff series are preserved, the entire season is suddenly a sham.

I've seen someone else say this, too, and even though I'm tempted to agree just because... I don't actually understand the logic. When a team has the best record over 82 games, it's meaningless. The regular season doesn't matter, many say. What matters is the 16 wins against 4 opponents. BUT if those 82 games are cut in half, and the all-important 4 playoff series are preserved, the entire season is suddenly a sham.

I wont complain 1 bit if the Flyers win a cup in a shortened season.

ZeroGravity

I don't think 82 games is a magic number that is required to make everything legitimate...but playing 40 something games, with no training camps, preseason, and a lot of these guys not playing during the lockout...it's just not an accurate picture of a season. Remember how hot the Wild got during the first half of last year only to collapse in the second half? Would the Kings have even made the playoffs? You need a bigger sample size to determine who really deserves a shot at playing for the Cup.

EDIT: That doesn't even factor in how many more injuries would result from trying to cram so many games into a short timespan.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm ready for the lockout to continue. I got tickets to the first Admirals game next Friday. Heretic who should I look out for? I know Palmieri and Lindholm.

Socreges

Banned
I don't think 82 games is a magic number that is required to make everything legitimate...but playing 40 something games, with no training camps, preseason, and a lot of these guys not playing during the lockout...it's just not an accurate picture of a season. Remember how hot the Wild got during the first half of last year only to collapse in the second half? You need a bigger sample size to determine who really deserves a shot at playing for the Cup.
But that's not really how it works in reality. It's not like: 'the bigger the sample size, the closer the results reflect some objective truth'. There's an ebb and flow throughout the entire season, including during the playoffs. A team could get hot early on eand taper off (Wild), just as a team that does OK over 82 games could get hot the moment the playoffs begin (Kings), just as another team that has a great second half of the season (Pittsburgh) could get bounced in the first round.

The long regular season has never been about forming a large sample size to determine the most worthy 16 teams - it's been about money and drawing as much value from the players as possible.

The timing of the playoffs doesn't determine which team is the objective best. It determines which great team peaked at the right time and did the best under heightened pressure (and physical attrition).

But that's not really how it works in reality. It's not like: 'the bigger the sample size, the closer the results reflect some objective truth'. There's an ebb and flow throughout the entire season, including during the playoffs. A team could get hot early on eand taper off (Wild), just as a team that does OK over 82 games could get hot the moment the playoffs begin (Kings), just as another team that has a great second half of the season (Pittsburgh) could get bounced in the first round.

The long regular season has never been about forming a large sample size to determine the most worthy 16 teams - it's been about money and drawing as much value from the players as possible.

The timing of the playoffs doesn't determine which team is the objective best. It determines which great team peaked at the right time and did the best under heightened pressure (and physical attrition).

I'm gonna agree with the "substantial length" theory here. If the season is around 60-ish let's say I think it's probably comparable. The issue is whether the teams were subjected to the regular level of "grind" associated with other seasons. Did teams get the chance to go up and down, or was seeding determined primarily by hot streaks that would be controlled for in a longer season. Think last year's Wild. How far into the season did we have to get for them to reach where they belonged in the standings?

LOL now Dreger is giving it to Walsh for his constant whining.

@walsha
It's become perfectly clear that Gary Bettman cannot continue in his position. It's time for a new commissioner.
DarrenDreger
@walsha. Pour a glass of red and chill Allan. Way too early for the drama you're promoting.
@walsha
Sorry I've been offending your close friends on Twitter. Pre-season and 2 weeks of season gone, that's late enough for me. @DarrenDreger
@DarrenDreger
@walsha. Nonsense. Stop pontificating and start presenting solutions.

UberTag

A 41-game season would be a godsend to the Leafs.
The trick is that you have to TELL the Leafs the season is still 82 games.
By the time they realize the season is only half as long as normal they won't have time to tank their playoff fortunes away.

Socreges

Banned
If a team wins a cup in a 41-game season, would people still consider it a valid win?
We continue to validate (ie, treat as equal) Cups that were won in a league with half ('79) and even 1/5 ('67 and decades before) the amount of teams competing.

I'm gonna agree with the "substantial length" theory here. If the season is around 60-ish let's say I think it's probably comparable. The issue is whether the teams were subjected to the regular level of "grind" associated with other seasons. Did teams get the chance to go up and down, or was seeding determined primarily by hot streaks that would be controlled for in a longer season. Think last year's Wild. How far into the season did we have to get for them to reach where they belonged in the standings?
I get what you guys are saying, but I think this line of thinking is a bit tautological. I don't see how a larger sample is sacred in determining the 16 when the teams that make the playoffs in April are often not the best teams at that point either, not to mention that after 41 games you've normally got 90% of the teams seeded that make the playoffs in April AND if you go to 100 games you're inevitably going to return to about 90% 'accuracy'. And then you put them in a competition that renders the previous six months irrelevant and gives you a tiny sample (1-2 weeks) to do your best against a single team.

Top Bottom