• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
These constant AHL player updates are almost as bad as the political discussions that were going on.

Make a suggestion for something better... More Phoenix/CBA-talk? for the next 2 years? :( We're just trying to... uh.. branch out... I don't know... just anything, really.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Seems pretty obvious to me

8yaFe.jpg

Acid08

Banned
I hear so much bullshit about other sports here. I DON'T FUCKING CARE. 49ers, Giants, A's, Raiders, who gives a shiiiiit. At least I can go see ECHL games :(

ATF487

I hear so much bullshit about other sports here. I DON'T FUCKING CARE. 49ers, Giants, A's, Raiders, who gives a shiiiiit. At least I can go see ECHL games :(

it's either post about irrelevant things or have no posts at all. there is never any NHL news to report

Socreges

Banned
Can't understand Red's complaints about the AHL updates. These are still NHL players. It's also about as on-topic as we can get without letting this thread die.

We could talk about every time they meet and accomplish nothing.
And each day that they don't meet we could have one single post in here declaring the absence of anything happening.

Good man. I haven't had much time for it lately :)'() but PM me your nick or so and I'll add you. Already got Shane on my list too. Buy the pack yourself if you don't have any of the games? I bought it for 3 games by itself... But really, all the games in the pack are great and worth more than 10 bucks by themselves. Incredible deal.

Yeah, after the debacle of trying to play GW2 with a laptop that keeps overheating when intensive 3D apps run, I could never get a 'groove' of playing for longer than an hour. Last night I think I did 3 hours without blinking.

Stiffy Longstocking (really immature injoke with the people I'm playing with, don't ask) - Isle of Janthir

How much is the Squeenix pack?

These constant AHL player updates are almost as bad as the political discussions that were going on.

To be fair, they're NHL caliber players playing in the only league they can currently play in.

Smiley90

Yeah, after the debacle of trying to play GW2 with a laptop that keeps overheating when intensive 3D apps run, I could never get a 'groove' of playing for longer than an hour. Last night I think I did 3 hours without blinking.

Stiffy Longstocking (really immature injoke with the people I'm playing with, don't ask) - Isle of Janthir

How much is the Squeenix pack?

To be fair, they're NHL caliber players playing in the only league they can currently play in.

I'm on the GAFGuild server, Stormbluff Isle :x but with guesting that's not really an issue anyway :p after Friday I'll probably have time to play again, once my midterms are over...

Canuck76

Banned
Just got NHL 13 and would appreciate some basic explanation.

When should i dump the puck and when should i pass? I don't usually dump the puck, pretty much always pass it up to the furthest guy up the ice, then try to make something happen from there. Never as well have i had the pleasure of having two dudes pass it back in forth all the way till the goal until one shoots. How should i be doing that?

Also I don't get many "break aways" where it's just a forward heading straight for the goalie unimpeded. That's happened maybe once the whole time i've owned this game. And rarely do i ever score a goal fighting for the puck in front of the net, usually none of my guys are there.

Despite my uneducated hockey sense i still enjoy the heck out of this game and love hip checking guys on D, so satisfying to do, and scoring a goal feels awesome and great when you pull off a great pass or you get a great deflection.

Also, loose puck dekes? Is there a tutorial in this game for those? If not when should i be using those?

Marvie_3

Banned

When should i dump the puck and when should i pass? I don't usually dump the puck, pretty much always pass it up to the furthest guy up the ice, then try to make something happen from there. Never as well have i had the pleasure of having two dudes pass it back in forth all the way till the goal until one shoots. How should i be doing that?

Also I don't get many "break aways" where it's just a forward heading straight for the goalie unimpeded. That's happened maybe once the whole time i've owned this game. And rarely do i ever score a goal fighting for the puck in front of the net, usually none of my guys are there.

Despite my uneducated hockey sense i still enjoy the heck out of this game and love hip checking guys on D, so satisfying to do, and scoring a goal feels awesome and great when you pull off a great pass or you get a great deflection.

Also, loose puck dekes? Is there a tutorial in this game for those? If not when should i be using those?
Don't even begin to worry about these until you're more familiar with the game.

Other than that, just practice. You'll start to get a feel for what you should be doing in certain situations.

I always wonder how the textbook definition of a hockey 'draft bust' doesn't include things like how detrimental the draft pick was for the team.

You've got DiPietro and his huge contract, that's seven types of detrimental right there yet he is still considered a better pick than Daigle?

You've got Schultz, who was not only a first round draft pick and has not only not played a single game for the Ducks, but will spend his career playing AGAINST the Ducks?

A #1 pick that went on to be nothing and faded into obscurity vs players who are well detrimental even after their draft enrollment.

Discuss?

Marvie_3

Banned
I always wonder how the textbook definition of a hockey 'draft bust' doesn't include things like how detrimental the draft pick was for the team.

You've got DiPietro and his huge contract, that's seven types of detrimental right there yet he is still considered a better pick than Daigle?

You've got Schultz, who was not only a first round draft pick and has not only not played a single game for the Ducks, but will spend his career playing AGAINST the Ducks?

A #1 pick that went on to be nothing and faded into obscurity vs players who are well detrimental even after their draft enrollment.

Discuss?
iNVIeNhhTX473.gif

1. If you can skate into the other team's zone, then just do that. More often than not, that's the best way to enter a zone, since you still have possession of the puck. However, if you're going towards their zone and there are like two opposing players coming at you that you aren't going to be able to get past, and there's no one really to pass too - that's when you want to consider dumping it in. It also works (sometimes) to dump it in when you're skating fast towards the other team at their blue line, and they're skating slow(er)... this way your momentum should hopefully make it so you reach the puck first at the boards.

2. As for breakaways and loose puck dekes, don't worry about that. I'd suggest trying out the fake-shot. When you have the puck, press R3 (or the right analog stick on the XBox controller). Your player fakes like he's going to take a shot, and if you're close enough to the goalie, he'll react like you are too. This gives you time to then deke left/right, "stalling" the goalie in essence.

Discuss?

Sure, why not?

DiPietro and Daigle are on another level because (a) they were #1 overall picks and (b) their failure was so epic it has historical context. DiPietro is terrible in that he has hardly played and has no actual history of success, but when healthy he appears to be a competent goaltender (ie: better than the Leafs offerings last season). His contract is an unbelievable disaster for Charles Wang but the Islanders won't be hitting the salary cap any year soon.

Daigle not only was out of the league at 25, he's the reason why there is a draft lottery and rookie deal cap. His salary instigated Yashin's holdout. The Sens even turned down a huge package from the Nordiques from him, which tells you just how "can't miss" 1st round picks like that were treated.

Schultz isn't a bust. He may turn out great but it's pretty unlikely that his play will measurably impact the Ducks in the future, particularly at his skill position. He'll contribute to a team that hurts the Ducks, but then again he'll also contribute to their cap room. It will probably take something pretty specific (eg: a history of scoring vs. the Ducks) to prove he was a bust, especially considering he wasn't a 1st round draft pick at all (2nd round, #43 overall in 2008)

Quick

Banned

You dump the puck (RB/R1 + right stick) usually when you want a line change, or take pressure off your own zone during PKs. If you're feeling lucky, you could spring a breakaway with a dump-in. Avoid icing by dumping the puck past the centre line, unless you're in a PK (you're good to dump it from your zone).

Breakaways are pretty rare in actual hockey games, but not impossible in NHL 13. You can spring for one on numerous occasions, like an opportunistic poke check when a d-man has possession in your zone, or somehow catching a line change (I've never bothered looking out for one, considering you don't really have the chance to see it happen), or a dump in like I said earlier. I personally have the habit of hitting R1 randomly, which results in a tripping penalty half the time, but I get my breaks on PKs when d-men are going for a pass, and I end up getting my stick in the way, and blowing past them for a breakaway. One other way I found is having a player in the penalty box, and passing it to him the moment he's out. Takes a bit of planning and keeping track of the time, but it's a huge payoff if done right.

I'm pretty sure there's a tutorial on loose puck dekes in the game, but be sure to keep in mind that the player with the puck has enough skill to do it, star players are safe bets. Not to say that your fourth liner can't, but you're usually more successful with first line star players.

One other thing: take advantage of swatting the puck. That's RB/R1 when you're close to the puck. You "aim" with the left stick, swat with RB/R1. Helps during puck chases to your own zone by swatting it away from the opposing player and towards a teammate. You can also do it to push the puck ahead for a scoring chance.

Discuss?

Can't say I ever thought of it in that way, but I'd hate getting dicked around like what Schultz did to the Ducks.

Technically, a draft bust is the player not performing to expectations. The argument for DiPietro's contract actually goes hand-in-hand with being injury prone, so I'm inclined to agree for his situation.

I'm not so sure with Schultz. Dicking around your former team can be seen as a detriment to his character, but at the end of the day, teams mostly care if you can play well for them. Doors of opportunity would usually close on a player who is an absolute jerk, and that would label them a bust since they didn't get their chance (not that they'd earn it in the first place).

Also:

i3qx2IyXs4V6R.jpg

Cake Boss

Banned
"@DarrenDreger: Keep hearing about a radically different PA proposal. NHL also pondering its next move. It's all spin until a proposal is made."

For the love of god please give me back hockey, the other day I tried to watch some TV and every single show was reality show of some kind, it seems every little turd has a show about their profession or their lifes, so I just stayed in the Food channel and never left.

For the love of god please give me back hockey, the other day I tried to watch some TV and every single show was reality show of some kind, it seems every little turd has a show about their profession or their lifes, so I just stayed in the Food channel and never left.

Solid strategy. Anthony Bourdain is pretty awesome. Watching TV has become harder than ever lately. I shouldn't have to spend half my time trying to find something that isn't offensively stupid. My roommate is a big fan of stuff like pawn stars and storage wars. I always tell him I get a little bit stupider whenever I watch TV with him.

Solid strategy. Anthony Bourdain is pretty awesome. Watching TV has become harder than ever lately. I shouldn't have to spend half my time trying to find something that isn't offensively stupid. My roommate is a big fan of stuff like pawn stars and storage wars. I always tell him I get a little bit stupider whenever I watch TV with him.

At this point I'm watching either replays of old games on NHL network or Youngblood on repeat.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

"@DarrenDreger: Keep hearing about a radically different PA proposal. NHL also pondering its next move. It's all spin until a proposal is made."

It might actually be reasonable this time?

If you haven't caught up on them, I've been filling my life with:

Walking Dead
Breaking Bad
Mad Men
Bourdain No Reservations
Revolution (not great, but time filler)

The top 4 are all on Netflix.

If you haven't caught up on them, I've been filling my life with:

Walking Dead
Breaking Bad
Mad Men
Bourdain No Reservations
Revolution (not great, but time filler)

The top 4 are all on Netflix.

I just got three free months of premium movie channels for a cable fuckup so I've been working on Boss w/ Kelsey Grammer. Loving it. Breaking Bad is up there on the list of things I need to get to.

Never could get into Walking Dead or Mad Men. Walking Dead bored me and I wanted to punch every character on Mad Men in the face.

Smiley90

If you like Bourdain's No Reservations (great show), make sure to also check out Bizarre Foods. Similar format, only less extravagant food, also a great show though.

EDIT: Obligatory "Food Shows, really?" post incoming.

Top Bottom