• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Socreges

Banned
I think the NHLPA (ie, the players that compose it) are also affected by how they inevitably compare themselves (and how they're treated, compensated) to other sports. Fehr coming in from the MLB probably doesn't help things at all.

CREMSteve

I despise the NHLPA so much that at this point, I want the NHL to bring in replacement players to shit on them.

I'm right there with you, buddy.

I'd pay to watch replacement players in a heartbeat, I cheer for the team, not the individuals wearing the jersey. Hockey's hockey, the sooner these greedy players realize this, the better.

Revenant

I think the NHLPA (ie, the players that compose it) are also affected by how they inevitably compare themselves (and how they're treated, compensated) to other sports. Fehr coming in from the MLB probably doesn't help things at all.

NFL $11B
MLB $7B
NBA $3.8B
NHL $3.3B
MLS $0.28B

they better not.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
The role of Tim Thomas will be played by

Larry_the_Cable_Guy.jpg

You know, as somebody who had zero experience with Hockey, and who only started watching during the previous playoffs, and got REALLY into it...

This angers me. I want some hockey.

Socreges

Banned
NFL $11B
MLB $7B
NBA $3.8B
NHL $3.3B
MLS $0.28B

they better not.
But they do. It's an ego thing. They don't want to think they're part of a lesser league.

You know, as somebody who had zero experience with Hockey, and who only started watching during the previous playoffs, and got REALLY into it...

This angers me. I want some hockey.
Will you return in 365 days?

It's the people that are new to the sport that often don't come back.

Quick

Banned
Another cut would have to go to the AHL to allow it to happen.

Aren't the majority of AHLers NHL-eligible, thus making them part of the NHLPA? I know there are AHL clubs that sign players for their own roster, but I'd assume there's more NHL prospects than AHL players.

Someone wanna break this down for me?

I despise the NHLPA so much that at this point, I want the NHL to bring in replacement players to shit on them.

This.

The players are full of shit here. Removing the salary cap will burn this league down in record time. The MLB is complete ass right now. There are a handful of teams that you can count on every year and the rest of the league is just a farm system for them.

The salary cap is necessary, and keeping that cap at something affordable to spread hockey to the markets they've chosen to spread it to is also required.

If the players want more money, then move all the teams south of the Mason Dixon line back north.

This.

The players are full of shit here. Removing the salary cap will burn this league down in record time. The MLB is complete ass right now. There are a handful of teams that you can count on every year and the rest of the league is just a farm system for them.

As a Royals fan, this statement cuts me to the core. :(

I love the NFL, so frankly I'm in good shape through February. Especially with games on Thursday every week.

But from Feb to September is a ghost town without hockey. I stopped watching the NBA after Michael Jordan retired (from the Bulls... the 2nd time). I stopped watching baseball because it's boring as fuck and only a couple of teams are good. MLS... no.

Just, there's nothing there. We need hockey.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Oh go fuck yourself Grabner.

I'm glad we dumped your ass to the Islanders.

I liked Grabner, he's what we all hoped Raymond would be... :(

Also, assigning movie roles to players is a glorious idea.

Malhotra will be played by:

MV5BMjEyNDMwNDkxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDU5MDA0Mg@@._V1._SX214_CR0,0,214,314_.jpg

Magni

As someone who left NA during the last lockout and who just got back this summer (but only for the year this time around), I'm pissed. I'm lucky I got to see a game last winter while I was visiting, but I was hoping to make it a regular occurrence this time around, not to mention watching all the other games online. The time difference stops me from properly doing so in Europe :(

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Seriously speaking, is there any legal reason preventing them from bringing in replacement players?

Bringing in replacements would probably end this shit fast.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Seriously speaking, is there any legal reason preventing them from bringing in replacement players?

It's not a strike, it's a lockout.

They could only do that if the players went on strike. They want to play but the NHL locked them out.

Smiley90

And before anyone asks, it's because they don't want to risk players going on strike right before the playoffs (which they did in another sport I believe?), because that'd make the owners look AWFUL and would tie their hands.

Smiley90

This is pretty cool:

http://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/zz2zh/we_heard_about_that_lockout/

We heard about that lockout.
...and while we're just as disappointed as you, we're NOT locked out and ready to give you your hockey fix (opening night is only 26 short days away). Support your local minor league teams, we'll hold you over until they figure things out in the NHL.
Sincerely, the Grand Rapids Griffins - proud member of the American Hockey League, the top level of professional hockey in the Western Hemisphere.

Glad you'll be checking us and the rest of the league out this season!
We're currently heading into our 17th season, and 12th as a member of the AHL. Prior to that, we played in the IHL. Our name comes from a creature from Greek mythology that possesses the head and wings of an eagle and the body of a lion. The Griffins' nickname was selected from names submitted by the community and officially adopted on Nov. 20, 1995. Our mascots Griff and Finn keep fans entertained at the Van Andel Arena during the season and in various community appearances year round.
We're looking forward to renewing our rivalry with the Chicago Wolves and Milwaukee Admirals this season, thanks to some divisional realignment.
Our Facebook page has a pretty complete organizational history in our timeline, check that out and let us know if you have any ideas or feedback for us throughout the season!

Top Bottom