• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Quick

Banned
Man, the players are making fools of themselves on Twitter.

Just like everybody devoted his own life to a particular field. Except you make millions a year, most of us make 30-100k a year.

I'm going to christen my new avatar by avatar quoting myself.

iw9ou8cs58BRn.png

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Yikes, the PA didn't even run the numbers? There really is no way to get to 50-50 today and let the players keep what they're owed on existing contracts while linkage is maintained.

Maybe I imagined it but didn't Fehr say they didn't really run the numbers on the third proposal they literally just came up with it and figured why not pitch it?

Man, the players are making fools of themselves on Twitter.

Just like everybody devoted his own life to a particular field. Except you make millions a year, most of us make 30-100k a year.
Olympians devote their entire lives to their field, only most of them don't even have a massive pay day at the end of it to look forward too.

NHL players are just acting like a bunch of spoiled babies.

Surge

*sigh*...right now the Leafs would be on against the Blue Jackets.

What I really get bummed over is not getting my HNIC fix every saturday night.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
*sigh*...right now the Leafs would be on against the Blue Jackets.

What I really get bummed over is not getting my HNIC fix every saturday night.

So you're in favor of the lockout?

Montresor

Fuck it.

Great game by the Leafs so far!! They're hammering the Blue Jackets! Luongo is looking good out there. Also LOL at Galchenfuck getting scratched.

Socreges

Banned
Fuck it.

Great game by the Leafs so far!! They're hammering the Blue Jackets! Luongo is looking good out there. Also LOL at Galchenfuck getting scratched.
Unfortunately the absence of departed dman Jake Gardiner is really hurting the Leafs as they repeatedly attempt to escape their own zone. Ballard has been stuck on the ice for five minutes now as the BJs continue to cycle around a fallen Mason Raymond.

Unfortunately the absence of departed dman Jake Gardiner is really hurting the Leafs as they repeatedly attempt to escape their own zone. Ballard has been stuck on the ice for five minutes now as the BJs continue to cycle around a fallen Mason Raymond.
Midway through the game, Columbus defenseman Ryan Murray decided that his future was with the KHL and skated off to a plane bound for Russia.

Did you ever respond to the post where you got completely owned last night?

Got to the important part where Dopey conflated HRR and general revenue when work got slow late today. Comparing what the cap is in those sports on total spending (which may not hit the cap) and total revenue (which is not entirely sports related revenue) is moving the goalposts from what they are talking about in these negotiations, a percentage of HRR that would account for the floor and cap, though obviously team spending will likely prevent it from hitting the total possible amount.

NFL has a cap around 48% negotiated. NBA's is over 49%. Those are the percentages bargained for. The other numbers are not the topic of this negotiation.

So yeah, if you're making up arbitrary standards I guess I got owned.... but then the owners turned down a 50/50 proposal.... so yeah.

Quick

Banned

Great assist by Henrik and Daniel to Kessel, 6-1 Leafs now!

Montresor

This honestly made me lol (in a good way). I used to contend that whoever acquires Luongo would get him for a cheap price but that price skyrockets if all of a sudden Vancouver is on the hook for Luongo's cap hit after he retires no matter where Luongo plays (per NHL's most recent offer). So yeah Gardiner would have to go. =(

Montresor

Where can I get the (old) schedule? This fan fiction has to remain plausible. I don't want to make fun of a Thursday night beatdown of the Canucks at the hands of the Kings if there's no Kings-Canucks game tonight.

lol patches

I'm glad that, at least so far, Canucks players have been smart enough to keep their mouths shut.

I think Daniel at least learned after the Game 7 claim he made to just not say anything.

Only one on Detroit that has said anything is Z but he is a representative or high ranked player in the NHLPA so I kinda understand it, still doesn't mean it isn't stupid. Though his comments were pretty much just that Bettman sucks and is keeping the players down. Haven't heard anything since.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
lol patches

I'm glad that, at least so far, Canucks players have been smart enough to keep their mouths shut.

Strombone ‏@strombone1
For the NHL to make 9 counter offers seems logical“@RenLavoieRDS: Gary Bettman:"I don't know what's the next step. I'm really discourage."”

Strombone ‏@strombone1
Well F@CK that I just ordered desert ice cream with the Mickey ears! Not like we are going back to work anytime soon!

Strombone ‏@strombone1
HEY HEY HEY!!!“@ThomasDrance: Anyone want to share in my sacrifice (of a goat. To the pagan gods of functional labour relations)?”

Luongo is on it.

The PA should really ask players to stop tweeting.

For you confused fans. Players will take a 50/50 split. The players will agree to that if owners honor all existing contracts. It's simple

And Dreger is such an idiot:

Among group of 18,impressed to see Doan, E.Staal, Iginla and Crosby. Supportive, but, experienced and influential. Able to cut thru B.S.

Impressed. Yes, it's great seeing a bunch of guys who have absolutely no grasp of their own contract negotiations being lauded as 'able to cut thru B.S.' It was even more impressive when Crosby admitted he didn't know how these things work.

Solo

Crosby doesn't know how being an NHL pro = pussy on tap works, so I wouldn't expect him to grasp economics. All he knows is playmaking, whining, and Mario's basement.

Impressed. Yes, it's great seeing a bunch of guys who have absolutely no grasp of their own contract negotiations being lauded as 'able to cut thru B.S.' It was even more impressive when Crosby admitted he didn't know how these things work.

I thought that was sarcasm.

And BizNasty is an idiot, he has been through this whole lockout. Glad that people are giving him shit.

Montresor

And BizNasty is an idiot, he has been through this whole lockout. Glad that people are giving him shit.

He had a tweet saying "For those calling me a piece of shit or saying I suck at hockey, that won't make NHL come back faster."

People are being too abusive on Twitter. I'm okay with colourful language like "Why the fuck, or omfg" and such when confronting a player about CBA negotiations but launching personal attacks like "fuck you" or "you're a piece of shit" is going too far.

All he knows is playmaking, whining, and Mario's basement.

:lol

KernelPanic said:

I hope it was! But I seem to have this impression that Dreger's been tweeting that kind of nonsense for the entire lockout.

Re fan reactions: As a pro, if you open yourself for fan interaction you have to ready for this kind of piss. It's completely idiotic to start tweeting about how 'hard' your salary negotiations are to a fan base that's been struggling through a global recession for 4 years and not expect to elicit these kinds of comments.

FOOTE

Fans still locked out? Yup. Fans still locked out.

All the same. The Blues' top prospect received a concussion the other day playing in St. Petersberg. Bring on the 2013-14(maybe) season.

Fans still locked out? Yup. Fans still locked out.

All the same. The Blues' top prospect received a concussion the other day playing in St. Petersberg. Bring on the 2013-14(maybe) season.
Damnit this would make it even easier for BASED HUBERDEAU to get the Calder.

Fehr why you do this.

Quick

Banned
GAF NHL Fan-Fiction. How far we have fallen.

Crosby's lips were quivering as he inserted himself, with his entire manhood, into
the Pens lineup. Having been cleared to play by the team doctors.

Listen I'm willing to pretend to a point, but let's keep things within the realm of believability.

Anything can happen, Soc. If Fifty Shades of Grey is anything to go by, Fan Fiction can happen.

He had a tweet saying "For those calling me a piece of shit or saying I suck at hockey, that won't make NHL come back faster."

People are being too abusive on Twitter. I'm okay with colourful language like "Why the fuck, or omfg" and such when confronting a player about CBA negotiations but launching personal attacks like "fuck you" or "you're a piece of shit" is going too far.

It's probably too much but people have been saying nasty stuff to him for a long time, he's said nasty stuff back as well.

Fans are just pissed off and the players trying to solicit sympathy from the fans is backfiring.

The player's tweets just shows how ignorant they are.

The NHL spent 10 minutes looking at all 3 PA offers.

So much for good faith.

The first two called for an increase for the players in the first year and the last one was an imaginary proposal that the NHLPA threw out as 50/50 but never bothered to crunch the numbers. It doesn't take long to see these were junk proposals

Some of the media are surprisingly optimistic after today's disaster:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opi...r-solution-could-come-from-auto-industry.html

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/19852/cba-talks-not-as-dire-as-they-look

But, as I look deeper into Proposal III, there's something that makes sense. Sixty percent of the players have contracts beyond this season, and by making that offer, the NHLPA essentially said, "We have two kinds of members -- signed players and free agents. They should be handled at differently."

So do it. Just like the Canadian Auto Workers did.

The CAW just negotiated a deal with Ford, Chrysler and General Motors that saw its workers divided into two "tiers." New hires begin at lower hourly rate and with a different pension setup.

Now that the NHLPA has opened the door, why wouldn't that philosophy work? Every contract signed from this moment until forever is ruled by whatever new guidelines are created by both sides (escrow, terms, salary arbitration, etc.) at a 50/50 revenue split.

As for the current contracts, here's what they could do. The players say an immediate cut to 50/50 means a 12 per cent escrow haircut, which they don't want. So create a separate equation for those players.

Maybe next year it's 53/47, moving down towards 50/50. Maybe it's a guaranteed minimum and maximum loss for these players. And every time one of them finishes their contract, they are subject to the "new rules" and 50/50. All of the math wizards on both sides are paid handsomely to figure out a way to make this work. Perhaps there's a better way of doing it I can't think of right now.

Elliotte Friedman hints that a possible solution may be apparent.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Man, Twitter is fucking sick. You can make fun of Patches for getting almost killed and he'll personally read it. What an age we live in
I don't get why these random internet pukes get off so hard on shit-talking celebrities, athletes, etc. Whatever makes you feel better about yourself, I guess.

Top Bottom