• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

I don't get why these random internet pukes get off so hard on shit-talking celebrities, athletes, etc. Whatever makes you feel better about yourself, I guess.

Players, welcome to the internet.

edit: Yes, it's beyond dumb - but random internet pukes are nothing new.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
They want to bait an equally nasty response and get the victim sympathy and possible 2 mins of relative fame.

Naw

I tell the players they are horrible human beings because they are horrible human beings.

I mean

I'm starving for hockey and they are holding my hockey hostage for more money! I NEED TO EAT

Look who's playing ACIII.

A5h0MICCEAE7DEx.jpg

I was there with lots of other gaffer :)

The 3rd proposal is a joke apparently, because it can't mathematically happen.
This is really easy, For me honoring the contracts already signed is obvious. And using e.scrow the contracts won´t be fully honored withouth using money from the pool(3 years in, if i understood socreges article).

So if owners wan´t 50-50 and the players give them this offer, they answer that it is impossible, then it is your fault, maybe you shouldn´t been handing out all those contracts before, you must have surely known that you were aiming for around 50-50?

So if owners wan´t 50-50 and the players give them this offer, they answer that it is impossible, then it is your fault, maybe you shouldn´t been handing out all those contracts before, you must have surely known that you were aiming for around 50-50?

Players wanted to be signed because they were afraid of a new CBA, for example they couldn't sign a long term deal.

Suter and Parise got massive bonuses because of a potential lockout as well.

gcubed

Players wanted to be signed because they were afraid of a new CBA, for example they couldn't sign a long term deal.

Suter and Parise got massive bonuses because of a potential lockout as well.

Why always blame the person who got the contract instead of the person who can't afford what he just offered?

The owners went on a signing binge before the lockout under the assumption that they wouldn't have to pay the contract price. Fuck them.

Why always blame the person who got the contract instead of the person who can't afford what he just offered?

The owners went on a signing binge before the lockout under the assumption that they wouldn't have to pay the contract price. Fuck them.

My god at the spin. Players were asking for big deals before the new CBA because they were afraid that the owners would clamp down on contract size and length going forward. If you own a team you are not going to piss off your star player by saying "no we wont sign you now, we are going to wait and see if we can get you cheaper." Blaming the owners for signing players seems nuts to me. We know that there are some rich teams that can afford contracts like that, but they are still bad for the sport as a whole. Just because a few owners dont always act in the best interest of the league is no reason to blame all owners.

sammich

Yea ok.. what world do you live in where players(or any worker) will not try and get each and every penny they can possibly get? What is the point of their agent then? To read them the contract? Big players will get big money. If you want to compete with the big boys for the big players, you will have to spend. Its not like these players didnt think about a lockout and changes to the CBA may cut contract lengths.. noo.. cant be.. They are all innocent. I dont see players rejecting these deals for the good of the game. In the end, they both want to win. On one side, the players want the best deal, but would also benefit them if more fans come in and the hype rises. They take no risk. The owners with the signing hope that this will boost ticket sales, merchandise, playoffs, fans will be happier. They are taking the risk. You are damned if you do and damned if you dont. These players dont come around everyday. Trust me.. it sucks being a jays fan.

Dont get me wrong, i think a lot of these owners did sign these contracts with the anticipation of roll backs and in that sense i hope they get fucked HARD. But to the big market teams, i doubt they care if there is a rollback or not. Its not them that cant survive. Its the pack in the middle that wants to sign these players. Theres a huge difference between what the leafs/flyers/rangers etc can spend compared to the islanders, minny, nashville etc. People complain all the time that they dont sign anyone, and on the flip side i have my flames/leafs sign players for stupid contracts.

And regarding getting on the owners for honoring your contracts. How about the players honor theirs? Put their money where their mouth is and remove GUARANTEED contracts. You dont perform up to the standards that we projected with signing of the contract, you get cut. Lets see all those players live up to their "contract year" contracts. Lets pay them a base salary of 500k and base everything on performance. Yea i didnt think so. Its ok for them to cry, this is what we signed, you the owners have to live up to it, but why is it not true for the other side.

CrankyJay

Banned
Yea ok.. what world do you live in where players(or any worker) will not try and get each and every penny they can possibly get? What is the point of their agent then? To read them the contract? Big players will get big money. If you want to compete with the big boys for the big players, you will have to spend. its not like these players didnt think about a lockout and changes to the CBA may cut contract lengths.. noo.. cant be.. They are all innocent. I dont see players rejecting these deals for the good of the game. In the end, they both want to win. On one side, the players want the best deal, but would also benefit them if more fans come in and the hype rises. They take no risk. The owners with the signing hope that this will boost ticket sales, merchandise, playoffs, fans will be happier. They are taking the risk. You are damned if you do and damned if you dont. These players dont come around everyday. Trust me.. it sucks being a jays fan.

You fucking win.

Yea ok.. what world do you live in where players(or any worker) will not try and get each and every penny they can possibly get? What is the point of their agent then? To read them the contract? Big players will get big money. If you want to compete with the big boys for the big players, you will have to spend. Its not like these players didnt think about a lockout and changes to the CBA may cut contract lengths.. noo.. cant be.. They are all innocent. I dont see players rejecting these deals for the good of the game. In the end, they both want to win. On one side, the players want the best deal, but would also benefit them if more fans come in and the hype rises. They take no risk. The owners with the signing hope that this will boost ticket sales, merchandise, playoffs, fans will be happier. They are taking the risk. You are damned if you do and damned if you dont. These players dont come around everyday. Trust me.. it sucks being a jays fan.

Dont get me wrong, i think a lot of these owners did sign these contracts with the anticipation of roll backs and in that sense i hope they get fucked HARD. But to the big market teams, i doubt they care if there is a rollback or not. Its not them that cant survive. Its the pack in the middle that wants to sign these players. Theres a huge difference between what the leafs/flyers/rangers etc can spend compared to the islanders, minny, nashville etc. People complain all the time that they dont sign anyone, and on the flip side i have my flames/leafs sign players for stupid contracts.

And regarding getting on the owners for honoring your contracts. How about the players honor theirs? Put their money where their mouth is and remove GUARANTEED contracts. You dont perform up to the standards that we projected with signing of the contract, you get cut. Lets see all those players live up to their "contract year" contracts. Lets pay them a base salary of 500k and base everything on performance. Yea i didnt think so. Its ok for them to cry, this is what we signed, you the owners have to live up to it, but why is it not true for the other side.

This really would be the best thing ever. The regular season would be like the playoffs with the intensity. Sadly I think Players would kill themselves trying to earn more money though.

sammich

This really would be the best thing ever. The regular season would be like the playoffs with the intensity. Sadly I think Players would kill themselves trying to earn more money though.

Lol yea. But the players want to win right? Its not about the money. Its about the cup, the sacrifice. Its about the team, your teammates, the battles, the blood you spill for each other. Bettman doesnt skate, what does he know about hockey? yada yada, *watches Crosby timbit hockey commercial*

Lets see how fast all that would go out the window when nothing is guaranteed.

Theres too much bullshit on both sides.

CrankyJay

Banned
Man, Twitter is fucking sick. You can make fun of Patches for getting almost killed and he'll personally read it. What an age we live in

Yeah, it was an idiot comment for sure, but Patches opened himself up for some anonymous chucklehead to make that comment when he spouted off.

Epic post

My god at the spin. Players were asking for big deals before the new CBA because they were afraid that the owners would clamp down on contract size and length going forward. If you own a team you are not going to piss off your star player by saying "no we wont sign you now, we are going to wait and see if we can get you cheaper." Blaming the owners for signing players seems nuts to me. We know that there are some rich teams that can afford contracts like that, but they are still bad for the sport as a whole. Just because a few owners dont always act in the best interest of the league is no reason to blame all owners.
It´s not blaming the owners for signing players, it is blaming owners for signing players and then think that they shouldn´t have to pay what they agreed upon.

The bolded above doesn´t really have anything to do with some situations, like Parise, Suter and Weber. That was more like: "Okay lets offer him this huge contract now when their poor owners cant match, its not like we will have to pay it all, right?"

Agree that the contracts might be bad for the sport, but if they are because of the fact that they are to high, blame the people offering them. Fehr even said that some of the owners in the room yesterday had done it.

And I am not blaming all owners, I actually feel bad for some(would have been even worse if they didn´t match Weber), being outbid on your star player by a club that is betting on the fact that they won´t have to pay the amount.

Agree that the contracts might be bad for the sport, but if they are because of the fact that they are to high, blame the people offering them. Fehr even said that some of the owners in the room yesterday had done it.

Owners offer such contracts because players and their agents demand them. Teams that wanted to sign Parise had to offer a retirement contract with huge signing bonuses or you were automatically out of the running.

As per sammich post, damned if you do, damned if you don't

gcubed

i agree they are taking MORE of the risk (not all), my first part maybe rubbed people the wrong way, but it was pretty clear that a lot of teams signed contracts that they couldn't afford with the anticipation of them not having to pay it. That's bullshit.

Escrow's just as much a shit sandwich as the player 50/50 but honoring contract is... but escrow requires 5 minutes of thought, so it gets ignored as a magical "its fine".

As a fan I would absolutely LOVE... LOVE to remove guaranteed contracts in all sports. A base salary based on 500k is a horrible idea, its only a good idea to someone who thinks that players take no risk. You ignore the risk the players take every day they step on the ice, or the players that haven't played in years but still can't wake up without post concussion syndrome. The NHL and NFL are barbaric sports and to say that the owners take all the risk by spending money is very ignorant. Suggesting a 500k contract with the rest based on performance ignores the risk the players take stepping on the ice.

Removing guaranteed contracts but not allowing a team to cut an injured player (the way it works in the NFL), is the ideal solution for both fans and owners... and in the long run, the players, since it will help exponentially grow the game by having more competitive teams as well as allowing teams mired in mediocrity or lower a way out and back to competitiveness, but lets drop this silly 500k base notion as its about as helpful as removing the salary cap

sammich

i agree they are taking MORE of the risk (not all), my first part maybe rubbed people the wrong way, but it was pretty clear that a lot of teams signed contracts that they couldn't afford with the anticipation of them not having to pay it. That's bullshit.

Escrow's just as much a shit sandwich as the player 50/50 but honoring contract is... but escrow requires 5 minutes of thought, so it gets ignored as a magical "its fine".

As a fan I would absolutely LOVE... LOVE to remove guaranteed contracts in all sports. A base salary based on 500k is a horrible idea, its only a good idea to someone who thinks that players take no risk. You ignore the risk the players take every day they step on the ice, or the players that haven't played in years but still can't wake up without post concussion syndrome. The NHL and NFL are barbaric sports and to say that the owners take all the risk by spending money is very ignorant. Suggesting a 500k contract with the rest based on performance ignores the risk the players take stepping on the ice.

Removing guaranteed contracts but not allowing a team to cut an injured player (the way it works in the NFL), is the ideal solution for both fans and owners... and in the long run, the players, since it will help exponentially grow the game by having more competitive teams as well as allowing teams mired in mediocrity or lower a way out and back to competitiveness, but lets drop this silly 500k base notion as its about as helpful as removing the salary cap

It was just an off the cuff number to give an example. Was not meant in any way shape or form to be serious. Was never meant as a hard base. Im not denying any of the risks the players take. I sure as hell dont have the balls to dive in front of a puck like some of these players do, unless you are a goalie(which i am). And im not anywhere close to the skill these guys possess. I would say around 1 mil to 2 mil depending on the age/years of service as a base, with incentives to make as much as they want. Everything else is covered(health, medical etc) No cutting an injured player etc. I think 500k would be too far on the other end and exploiting the players to be honest.

Though if they did go down this route, they would have to chop the amount of games in half, which i think would benefit the game as a whole. I think the season is too long as it is. Or maybe it just ends too late. Im still up in the air if its an 82 game thing or why the fuck is hockey still going on in june or most likely the fact is that my teams suck and dont see the playoffs lol

gcubed

It was just an off the cuff number to give an example. Was not meant in any way shape or form to be serious. Was never meant as a hard base. Im not denying any of the risks the players take. I sure as hell dont have the balls to dive in front of a puck like some of these players do, unless you are a goalie(which i am). And im not anywhere close to the skill these guys possess. I would say around 1 mil to 2 mil depending on the age/years of service as a base, with incentives to make as much as they want. Everything else is covered(health, medical etc) No cutting an injured player etc. I think 500k would be too far on the other end and exploiting the players to be honest.

Though if they did go down this route, they would have to chop the amount of games in half, which i think would benefit the game as a whole. I think the season is too long as it is. Or maybe it just ends too late. Im still up in the air if its an 82 game thing or why the fuck is hockey still going on in june or most likely the fact is that my teams suck and dont see the playoffs lol

hockey shouldn't be in june.

I still don't think a low base with performance numbers is a better route then just removing guaranteed contracts. I think you have a 0% chance of the low base, you may have a 3% chance of removing guaranteed.

... see, we just compromised. Watch and learn NHL/PA

sammich

hockey shouldn't be in june.

I still don't think a low base with performance numbers is a better route then just removing guaranteed contracts. I think you have a 0% chance of the low base, you may have a 3% chance of removing guaranteed.

... see, we just compromised. Watch and learn NHL/PA

Very true. Non-guaranteed would solve a lot of issues i think. But then they can somewhat get around that by asking for a huge signing bonus no?. But to give the players some sort of security, you can have a non guaranteed contract, with say 25% of it guaranteed if cut for performance issues. Unfortunately, people have off days, athletes have off years.

Yea we compromised, but we dont have Fehr between us and years of mistrust and misplaced hate.

Another Q, i heard the players keep saying that they took a 24% rollback last time. Am i wrong with this, but didnt Goodenow give that to the owners? The owners never asked for it as far as i remember. So the owners took it.. who wouldnt? So why are the players using it against the owners? Again i could be completely wrong in this.

gcubed

Very true. Non-guaranteed would solve a lot of issues i think. But then they can somewhat get around that by asking for a huge signing bonus no?. But to give the players some sort of security, you can have a non guaranteed contract, with say 25% of it guaranteed if cut for performance issues. Unfortunately, people have off days, athletes have off years.

Yea we compromised, but we dont have Fehr between us and years of mistrust and misplaced hate.

Another Q, i heard the players keep saying that they took a 24% rollback last time. Am i wrong with this, but didnt Goodenow give that to the owners? The owners never asked for it as far as i remember. So the owners took it.. who wouldnt? So why are the players using it against the owners? Again i could be completely wrong in this.

yes, they get around it with a signing bonus, but the signing bonus usually only makes it a 1-2 year guarantee instead of 5-8. When all the teams are playing under the same assumption of non-guaranteed contracts you very rarely have a team blow someone out of the water with a signing bonus. Even then football moves fast enough that if you did, you likely screwed yourself. Also, you can still cut the player, the signing bonus just hits your cap the year you cut the player, so at worst a team can dump it for 1-2 years and clear out bad decisions instead of 7 years of being in last place.

sammich

yes, they get around it with a signing bonus, but the signing bonus usually only makes it a 1-2 year guarantee instead of 5-8. When all the teams are playing under the same assumption of non-guaranteed contracts you very rarely have a team blow someone out of the water with a signing bonus. Even then football moves fast enough that if you did, you likely screwed yourself. Also, you can still cut the player, the signing bonus just hits your cap the year you cut the player, so at worst a team can dump it for 1-2 years and clear out bad decisions instead of 7 years of being in last place.

Ahh.. makes sense. Thank you. So where do we sign and get the season started lol.

Dr.Acula

Banned
This honestly made me lol (in a good way). I used to contend that whoever acquires Luongo would get him for a cheap price but that price skyrockets if all of a sudden Vancouver is on the hook for Luongo's cap hit after he retires no matter where Luongo plays (per NHL's most recent offer). So yeah Gardiner would have to go. =(

This is why I don't have sympathy for the owners. They sign ridiculous contracts then try and use a bargaining session to weasel out of the contract. And don't give me the whole, "players and agents force the owners to hand out 15 year 100 million dollar contracts" spiel. The GMs pay market value.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-lockout/2012/10/19/grange_cba_darkest_before_dawn/

Grange is unusually optimistic as well (along with LeBrun and Friedman).

But now there's a deadline; a chance to play 82-games starting on our about Nov. 2. Now there's something to lose. Each side is aware of the risks they're taking if they do any true damage to the business they both profit from. There is room to work something out. Both sides are talking about a 50-50 split of HRR, though how to get there is a problem. They both are talking about paying out existing contracts in full - though how to get there is a problem - and neither side wants to detonate the business, which should spur compromise in the first two areas.

In most good dramas - and no one is saying this is a particularly good one, but it's all we have - the third act is the stage where the plot gets resolved and the action peaks.

If you're convinced that Don Fehr and Gary Bettman are merely actors in a play with an inevitable conclusion - yes there will be NHL hockey played again, the only question is when - then Thurday's developments were all part of the show.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Officially canceled through November 1. Bah :(

Top Bottom