• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2013 |OT| Black History Forever

LevelNth

Banned
My guess for tonight:

JVR---Bozak---Kessel
Lupul---Kadri---Komarov
Mac---Grabo---Frattin
Orr---McClement---Kulemin

Phaneuf---Franson
Liles---Gardiner
Fraser---Gunner

Reims

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Apparently Hockey Central was speculating that the Leafs will trade one of Reimer/Scrivens and a First round pick for Kiprusoff (signed for 2 years 5M per).... that's an awful trade idea.

Impossible.

That would imply that Calgary realizes the team is going nowhere and they want to rebuild.

Quick

Banned
Kadri + Phaneuf + 1st round pick for Roloson and Boucher will tell you how he got that scar.

"Do you expect me to play?"

"No, Rolli, I expect you to sit."

Kessel + Gardiner for Burns + Couture

i71vFCNZ49zS.gif

Futureman

Save %

GAA fluctuates with team style

my friend is arguing Wins is most important. We are all Pens fans and he has an obsession with Fleury. We are saying he's a great goalie, like top 15 or so, and he always tries to argue that he's elite.

just said, "Haha bro the goalies themselves say wins. That's really all you need to know pal"

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
my friend is arguing Wins is most important. We are all Pens fans and he has an obsession with Fleury. We are saying he's a great goalie, like top 15 or so, and he always tries to argue that he's elite.

just said, "Haha bro the goalies themselves say wins. That's really all you need to know pal"

He's good but not elite ... Top 15 though? Yeah. Likely in that range.

Pens are an offense driven team

Wins mean nothing a lot of the time - good for player record but not best stat. I think Andrew Raycroft holds leafs record for wins in a season... And that says everything about wins

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Who the fuck is Jake Muzzin and why does he have the by far highest Corsi rating (shots on opposing net - shots on own net while on the ice) of ALL NHL d-men? Top2 corsi d-men are both LA's... Karlsson is 4th.

For forwards, 3 out of the top 4 are also LA's. wtf. LA is dominating Corsi.... Are they just unfortunate during the regular season but ready to go crazy in the playoffs again?

Williams, Kopitar and Brown are 1,2 and 4 among forward- corsi respectively. Damn.
Daniel and Henrik are 3rd and 5th, not bad.

Who the fuck is Jake Muzzin and why does he have the by far highest Corsi rating (shots on opposing net - shots on own net while on the ice) of ALL NHL d-men? Top2 corsi d-men are both LA's... Karlsson is 4th.

For forwards, 3 out of the top 4 are also LA's. wtf. LA is dominating Corsi.... Are they just unfortunate during the regular season but ready to go crazy in the playoffs again?

I think you'd have to consider zone starts and quality of competition as well to get a clearer picture.

Sedins get something like 90%+ starts in the OZ for example.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Bunch of talk about the Rangers talking to the Kings about Gaborik. They've had scouts at MANY Kings games this season, including 2 scouts last night.

LevelNth

Banned
Based on what I've read today this lineup seems most likely.
Phaneuf still saddled with the trash unfortunately, the top pairing is killing him and our D.

I love those top two lines though. Rebuild the third next year and change Orr with McLaren and we're good to go.

Then I'd love to see Phaneuf with Gardiner, Reilly with Franson and Liles with Fraser on D.

Bunch of talk about the Rangers talking to the Kings about Gaborik. They've had scouts at MANY Kings games this season, including 2 scouts last night.

I can see how trading Gaborik might make sense for the Rangers, I can't see why any team would give up a 1st rounder, top prospects/players for a talented, injury prone player with 1 year left on his high cap hit contract.

Spl1nter

Based on what I've read today this lineup seems most likely.

Kulie and Frattin may be switched around for the start but who knows once the game gets going. Frattin has not played that well since returning, he needs to get it together. Also Carlyle said that Gardiner will start with Liles but will try out different pairings. Only definite is him playing on the left side.

Smiley90

I think you'd have to consider zone starts and quality of competition as well to get a clearer picture.

Sedins get something like 90%+ starts in the OZ for example.

Of those getting less than 50% offensive zone starts, and >10 GP:

Corsi-leading d-men:

(Redmond, exactly 50% off. Start)
Letang
Boychuk
PK Subban

Forwards:

... Adam Cracknell, STL? Wat.
Clarkson
Elias

Curufinwe

Williams, Kopitar and Brown are 1,2 and 4 among forward- corsi respectively. Damn.
Daniel and Henrik are 3rd and 5th, not bad.

Danny Briere's Corsi is -4.47. I don't know much about this statistic, but that seems bad.

calder

Burn the boats?

Randy Carlyle is a tremendous fan of Warcraft 3, specifically the Arthas story arc. Carlyle actually went on a bit long post game rant in the Leafs dressing room about how in Frozen Throne the character went to shit and blamed Metzen for the awful dialogue.

Smiley90

Danny Briere's Crosi is -4.47. I don't know much about this statistic, but that seems bad.

Corsi = shots for your team - shots against your team while on the ice. So basically, Philly gets outshot while Briere is on the ice. (Could be due to many factors, but usually negative corse while >50% off. Zone starts = very bad, the opposite = very good.)

Jake Muzzin plays with Doughty. I would assume as the Kings' top offensive D-pairing they'd get first-unit PP time along with offensive zone faceoffs.

I regret passing on Muzzin in my hockey pool.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I can see how trading Gaborik might make sense for the Rangers, I can't see why any team would give up a 1st rounder, top prospects/players for a talented, injury prone player with 1 year left on his high cap hit contract.

I still don't really think it's going to happen because I don't think the right pieces are going to be out there in the right places, but I also don't think we'd be looking for top guys for him. If we lost Gaborik in a trade, Nash would move back to the right and Hagelin would go back to the left wing on the top line, and JT Miller would probably graduate to Stepan's line. Kreider might or might not get called back up (he's been on fire with the Whale since he was sent back down, already scoring more goals in his last 8 games than he did in the Whale's first 34 games). The 4th line is pretty well set with Asham/Haley-Halpern-Powe. What they would really want in exchange for Gaborik is basically a third line. I think they'd probably want at least two bottom 6 guys plus a draft pick, possibly a first rounder since we gave ours up to the BJs.

Basically, they're looking for depth guys. I don't think you can trade away Gaborik for just a couple of scrubs, though. The dude's scored 40+ in two of the last three years, and his pace this season isn't really any different from the year between those seasons. The guy's streaky, but he's still dangerous, and he's been showing signs that he may be due to pull out of his slump in the last few games.

I wouldn't get rid of Gaborik unless it's really really really worth it, and I'm not sure I've heard about anything that's worth it yet.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really curious about Kreider's call up. Torts sounded really positive about him last night, but his comments seemed to indicate that bringing him back up wasn't something they were going to do any time soon, and the fact is it sounds like Asham may be back on Sunday, and Haley has been adding a pretty nice physical edge to the team, so there isn't really any urgent need to bring Kreider back into the mix at this particular point in time.

Maybe something else is going on...?

calder

On TSN1290 listening to some random Montreal beat reporter from RDS guesting, and he's saying if Byfuglien was available for trade (not that he thinks he is or would be, but hypothetically if he was) than the Habs could "probably" find a spot for him in the top 6.

Shit, I didn't realize the Habs had cloned 4 copies of Larry Robinson to go along with PK. No wonder they're playing so well!

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It would be sweet to have Big Buff on the back end, big D man Bergevin is looking for and he would give us two lethal PP units, but Jets won't give him up and I have no idea what they would want in return anyways.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
On TSN1290 listening to some random Montreal beat reporter from RDS guesting, and he's saying if Byfuglien was available for trade (not that he thinks he is or would be, but hypothetically if he was) than the Habs could "probably" find a spot for him in the top 6.

Shit, I didn't realize the Habs had cloned 4 copies of Larry Robinson to go along with PK. No wonder they're playing so well!

We might be able to find a spot for Kane somewhere in our top 9 if you send him our way too, maybe.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Glen Sather missed the GM meeting in Toronto today. Apparently he's been in the hospital a few days and is undergoing surgery for prostate cancer tomorrow.

Jeff Gorton was repping the Rangers instead.

Tabris

Let's break it down folks. Mike Gillis' history with the Canucks:

1) Drafts Cody Hogdson. Later trades him for Zack Kassian - STATUS: PENDING (won't know until both players fully mature, needs 2-3 more years)
2) Signs Mat Sundin - STATUS: NEUTRAL (controversial status, but this player is what kick started the Sedin era as he has been credited by both Sedins and Kesler as improving their play)
3) Signs Alex Burrows to an $8M/4 year contract - STATUS: EXCELLENT (best contract in the last 4 years)
4) Signs both Sedins to a $30m/5 year contracts - STATUS: EXCELLENT (both players would end up getting an Art Ross in the following years, would be worth $9M+ now)
5) Trades for Christian Ehrhoff using B-level prospects - STATUS: EXCELLENT (ehrhoff would become one of the top offensive d-men in the league during the years with the Canucks)
6) Signs Mikael Samuellson and Shirkov - STATUS: NEUTRAL (samuellson would end up being a key player for the team but shirkov was a bust)
7) Files tampering charges against the Maple Leafs - STATUS: FUNNY
8) Trades for Keith Ballard, giving up Grabner + Bernier - STATUS: BAD (Keith Ballard would take 2 years to develop into the west coast style hockey, waste of contract space right now)

OK I got bored. That's where I'll end it. Goes down hill from there.

NHL.com has some good shit up on there today with the NHL '94 20th anniversary. Roenick WAS the boss in that game. I always used the Sharks and played manual goalie with Irbe, then used Doug Wilson (dude had 99 shot power) to rip slap shots high stick side all day long or just spammed one-timers. Cheese goals were forbidden.

Still the best game ever.

Tabris

I want you guys to really understand my 2004 angle before you disagree with it.

Before 2004, there were too many factors that gave benefits to some teams and hurt other teams:

- Montreal / Quebec drafting exclusivity
- Canadian to US exchange rate
- Ability to buy as many players as your owner could afford
- Unable to keep your top prospects and talent
- A weak expansion draft model several times
- Select european scouting access
- Limited amount of teams (thus increasing odds) before final expansion
- More open game, much harder to shut down superstars

These factors have led to specific teams having won a whole bunch of Cups and others struggling to those teams.

Since 2004, everyone is on the same playing ground and you can compare equally.

So what I'm saying is that Cup your Ducks won is worth more than some old Maple Leafs cup in my eyes.

Tabris

Serious question Tabris, if the Canucks had won the same way would you be crying foul about it?

Answer is no.

No I wouldn't, but do the yankee fans think there's anything wrong with their team buying all the star players they can? When you're biased, it's hard to evaluate fairness.

Top Bottom