• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2013 |OT| Black History Forever

A bunch of dudes wearing the same jersey in 2007 put more pucks in net at appropriate times than the other dudes in other jerseys did.

It also happened in 1964.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Before 2004, there were too many factors that gave benefits to some teams and hurt other teams:

- Montreal / Quebec drafting exclusivity
Ignoring all your other stupid points, I just want to debunk this because I'm tired of every other team throwing this out, because it's pure bullshit. Out of the players the Habs were able to get only like 2 actually made it to the NHL.

Tabris

Oh please. It only isn't fair because the Canucks didn't win.

So you're disputing the fact those factors created an unfair situation?

Pre-2004 NHL is the same as basketball right now. How can a team like the Bobcats ever compete with a team like the Heat?

Tabris

I mean really think about this. In 2012, we had the Phoenix Coyotes make it to the western finals. There's so much parity that there hasn't been a repeat Cup winner since 04.

Before 04, it was essentially just Red Wings, Avalanche, and Devils who won cups since 94. There was 1 cup by the Stars in between. That's 10 years of 3 teams out of 30. It gets even worse before the 90s.

Ignoring all your other stupid points, I just want to debunk this because I'm tired of every other team throwing this out, because it's pure bullshit. Out of the players the Habs were able to get only like 2 actually made it to the NHL.

Notice that he ignores your point when you make it. :lol

Tabris

Mahatma Gandhi once said "The measure of a civilization is how it treats it's weakest members"

I like to think that the measure of a sport is how it treats it's weakest members.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
2002 Red Wings are a great example of some of the points above. That's an asterik'd Cup as far as I'm concerned.

LOL. OK. Within the rules at the time. No asterisk.

ZeroGravity

GMs voted to implement hybrid icing for next season, as well as further reduction of goalie equipment. Now needs to be approved by competition committee. A coach's challenge rule was not approved.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Has anyone had a more apt tag then Tabris?

GMs voted to implement hybrid icing for next season, as well as further reduction of goalie equipment. Now needs to be approved by competition committee. A coach's challenge rule was not approved.
Apparently players don't want the hybrid icing.

Stasis

I haven't followed this whole argument/debate, but there is literally nothing more annoying NHL-related than hearing Quebecers blab about 24 cups as if what happened back then had anything to do with the current sport.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I want you guys to really understand my 2004 angle before you disagree with it.

Before 2004, there were too many factors that gave benefits to some teams and hurt other teams:

- Canadian to US exchange rate
- Ability to buy as many players as your owner could afford
- Unable to keep your top prospects and talent
- A weak expansion draft model several times
- Select european scouting access
- Limited amount of teams (thus increasing odds) before final expansion
- More open game, much harder to shut down superstars

These factors have led to specific teams having won a whole bunch of Cups and others struggling to those teams.

Since 2004, everyone is on the same playing ground and you can compare equally.

So what I'm saying is that Cup your Ducks won is worth more than some old Maple Leafs cup in my eyes.

This is easily the stupidest thing I have ever read in my life.

I haven't followed this whole argument/debate, but there is literally nothing more annoying NHL-related than hearing Quebecers blab about 24 cups as if what happened back then had anything to do with the current sport.

This.

Good on hybrid icing.

Heretic. Down for an avatar bet again since you never made one for me to use last time?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
What? Isn't this the EXACT opposite of reality? Isn't this why we have the greater prevalence of interference type penalties today? Because the ice wasn't open enough? Isn't this why we have 4-on-4 overtimes now? Isn't that why the Devils in particular won those Cups in the first place, because their trapping style shut teams down?

Marvie_3

Banned
What? Isn't this the EXACT opposite of reality? Isn't this why we have the greater prevalence of interference type penalties today? Because the ice wasn't open enough? Isn't that why the Devils in particular won those Cups in the first place, because their trapping style shut teams down?

He's only been watching hockey for a couple years so he has no idea what he's talking about.

Tabris

What? Isn't this the EXACT opposite of reality? Isn't this why we have the greater prevalence of interference type penalties today? Because the ice wasn't open enough? Isn't that why the Devils in particular won those Cups in the first place, because their trapping style shut teams down?

That one I'm talking about 80s/Early 90s and earlier. No fight instigation penalty also helped those teams defend their superstars.

2002 Red Wings are a great example of some of the points above. That's an asterik'd Cup as far as I'm concerned.

2473273-page0_blog_entry34_mj_laughing1.gif

Tell me, does it hurt knowing you don't have all of these especially that one in the front, I wouldn't expect you know what it means, but that's when your team actually wins something worthwhile called the Stanley Cup.

mMylg.jpg

Does it hurt even more knowing that your predictions fail year after year and yet you continually do the same thing every year predicting that your team will win the cup and be the great team you think they are?

Have I ever told you the definition... of insanity?

Mahatma Gandhi once said "The measure of a civilization is how it treats it's weakest members"

I like to think that the measure of a sport is how it treats it's weakest members.

Nah, it's completely fine when the weakest members deserve the treatment they get, hence this whole argument.

I'm sorry to all other Canuck's fans in this thread <3

So Tabris, if the Canucks win the Cup this year will it be asterisked because it was a 48-game season and pre-realignment (Jets in the SE division)?

...which is just going to be offset by bigger goalies. It's still a good idea, though. I miss small goalies.

What the fuck man? If you are going to post them, do it right

http://oobujoobu.net/images/banners.jpg[img]
[img]http://oobujoobu.net/images/banners.jpg[img]

[b]BANNERS BANNERS BANNERS BANNERS[/b][/QUOTE]

I didn't want to go over board, can't have good old Tabris get a heart attack or something.

[quote="MetatronM, post: 50885478"]To be fair, Tabris should know all about Presidents Trophy banners.[/QUOTE]

This is very true, he probably has a few hanging next to his Sedin blow up dolls.

^ amazing

Dang I forgot just how stacked that 2002 team was:

Shanahan-Federov-Hull
Robitaille-Yzerman-Larionov
Datsyuk-Devereaux-Holmstrom
Maltby-Draper-McCarty
Williams

Lidstrom-Chelios
Duchesne-Olausson
Fischer-Dandenault

Hasek
Legace

Lines are wrong but they had 4 guys in the top 15 in All-Time goals, insane!

Solo

I want you guys to really understand my 2004 angle before you disagree with it.

- Canadian to US exchange rate
- Ability to buy as many players as your owner could afford
- Unable to keep your top prospects and talent
- A weak expansion draft model several times
- Select european scouting access
- Limited amount of teams (thus increasing odds) before final expansion

These factors have led to specific teams having won a whole bunch of Cups and others struggling to those teams.

Since 2004, everyone is on the same playing ground and you can compare equally.

So what I'm saying is that Cup your Ducks won is worth more than some old Maple Leafs cup in my eyes.

WGhVRLg.gif

Habs have been to 3 Cup finals in my life and won 2 of 'em. Eat a dick, Tabernacle.

Quick

Banned
I haven't seen an NHL on TSN broadcast from the beginning in ages.

Since when did they start really trying to be HNIC with their intros?

Top Bottom