• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2013 |OT| Black History Forever

50409-Jennifer-Lawrence-boobs-gif-S4B0.gif

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
They might be healthy by then, and would be a scary team for anyone to face.
This is true, but they won't win anything without Karlsson. Still don't want to play them in the first round.

Edit: ^^^^ Hnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggg

Cake Boss

Banned
its mind boggling that kadri is 2nd on the leafs in goals, tied for first in assists, first in points, first in +/-, tied for 1st in SHG, tied for 1st in PPG and FOURTEENTH IN ICE TIME

He's 8th in the league in points... and 193rd in the league in average ice time for FORWARDS

the fuck

(though refreshingly he did have the highest TOI for the leafs forwards tonight)

Its called playing sheltered minutes, against the other teams lesser line while Grabvoski and Bozak get each team's top lines, plus probably gets more offensive zone starts than defensive zone starts, and he probably doesn't get PK time while other centers do which inflates ice time for some.

For me the most impressive rookies this season are Brodin and Huberdeau, play against the other team's top lines and play in all situations, while still finding ways to produce.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
For all the talk about Gaborik (and I'm ready to trade him now after tonight, fuck him, even with that goal), the REAL problem is Brad Richards. Unless he has some amazing turnaround either in this season's homestretch or next season, he is all but a guaranteed buyout as soon as the season ends next year.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
For all the talk about Gaborik (and I'm ready to trade him now after tonight, fuck him, even with that goal), the REAL problem is Brad Richards. Unless he has some amazing turnaround either in this season's homestretch or next season, he is all but a guaranteed buyout as soon as the season ends next year.
He looked pretty damn terrible in the games against the Habs this year, slow, lazy and not making anything happen.

Yes because tanking builds winners
Drafting players like Druin, Jones, and Mackinnon builds winners, yes.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Its called playing sheltered minutes, against the other teams lesser line while Grabvoski and Bozak get each team's top lines, plus probably gets more offensive zone starts than defensive zone starts, and he probably doesn't get PK time while other centers do which inflates ice time for some.

For me the most impressive rookies this season are Brodin and Huberdeau, play against the other team's top lines and play in all situations, while still finding ways to produce.

Brodin is kind of going under the radar imho, that kid is playing amazingly, given the role he's been given.

Kadri is getting the worst quality of competition and most off. zone starts of all Leafs C's, by far, so his numbers aren't all that surprising. It's Cody Hodgson all over.

Let's be honest though, a Leaf would have to score from the dressing room to impress you.

Smiley90

Smith got hurt punching Daniel in the face, sure.

EDIT: Yeah that's right, you're not hurt, we all knew that.

EDIT2: MAKE UP YOUR MIND

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
He looked pretty damn terrible in the games against the Habs this year, slow, lazy and not making anything happen.
He's been like that all year, and what's worse, Nash suddenly becomes ridiculously unselfish whenever he's on the ice with Richards, to the detriment of his game. It's like he's expecting Richards to be in positions that he isn't in or able to execute plays that he doesn't seem to be able to execute anymore, and he squanders amazing scoring chances because of it. It happened again tonight when Nash basically had a near 1-on-1 against Markstrom but instead decided to pull up and look for Richards, who was behind the play and had two Panthers with him. Needless to say the pass was broken up, and what was almost assuredly a golden scoring chance turned into nothing.

This has happened MANY times this season.

Compare that with how Nash plays when he's with Stepan, and it's like night and day.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Kadri isn't playing sheltered minutes lol

coach

"hey who has been leading the leafs in points since the beginning of the season? Kadri, is it?"

*ponders*

"fuck it, let's just defend against the grabovski line which has done fuck all and ignore Kadri - he'll just disappear"

Revenant

Ballard at the end there with the chokehold :lol that just looked great at normal speed.

i got it made i got it made fresh at subway fresh at FUCK YOU SUBWAY YOUR SHIT IS NEVER FRESH.

Please come back Daniel : (

so what actually happened. I saw Mike Smith being his normal Diva self, what happened to Daniel?

Smiley90

Kadri isn't playing sheltered minutes lol

coach

"hey who has been leading the leafs in points since the beginning of the season? Kadri, is it?"

*ponders*

"fuck it, let's just defend against the grabovski line which has done fuck all and ignore Kadri - he'll just disappear"

uh yes he is. He's getting the most off. starts of all Leafs C's, and has the weakest competition of all Leafs C's. I'd qualify that as sheltered minutes.

I'm scared to think who'd be our 2nd line RW if Hansen moves to the 1st and burrows to LW if Daniel stays out. Weise? Alberts? :lol

Marvie_3

Banned
uh yes he is. He's getting the most off. starts of all Leafs C's, and has the weakest competition of all Leafs C's. I'd qualify that as sheltered minutes.

I'm scared to think who'd be our 2nd line RW if Hansen moves to the 1st and burrows to LW if Daniel stays out. Weise? Alberts? :lol
Mark Messier

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

maybe he's getting those starts because he is *gasp* the leafs leading scorer?

*shocker*

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Also, hopefully Nash doesn't get any discipline for that hit on Kopecky. We can't afford to lose him. I don't think he will, though. He did leave his feet, but it looked like he was more trying to dodge him than anything else, and it looks to me like he made contact basically right between the shoulder blades first and foremost.

Revenant

Phoenix Coyotes have a Promotion called KidKaster where they let a kid into the booth to talk alongside the PBP guy...... :lol :lol :lol

Fuck this Franchise.

EDIT: TELL ME MORE ABOUT WHY YOU LOVE KYLE CHIPCHURA AND THINK HES AMAZING ALEXIS GONZALEZ FROM ARIZONA

It's Cody Hodgson all over, I'm telling you.

Hodgson has been playing against 1-2 lines this year and doing a pretty good job all things considered. 26 points or so and only a -2 rating. He'd be third in scoring if he were still with the Canucks, only behind the twins.

I just saw Kassian's stats - does he get used against other team's top lines?

Kadri's definitely being used in the right situations by Carlyle. To develop him, and because we have the benefit/curse of playing 3 defensively minded centres ahead of him.

Smiley90

Hodgson has been playing against 1-2 lines this year and doing a pretty good job all things considered. 26 points or so and only a -2 rating. He'd be third in scoring if he was still with the Canucks, only behind the twins.

I just saw Kassian's stats - does he get used against other team's top lines?

Kadri's definitely being used in the right situations by Carlyle. To develop him, and because we have the benefit/curse of playing 3 defensively minded centres ahead of him.

I'm talking about pre-trade Cody Hodgson from last season, not this season.

Revenant

KYLE CHIPCHURA KYLE CHIPCHURA KYLE CHIPCHURA

who's favorite player is kyle chipchura, kyle chipchura would probably recommend you pick someone other than kyle chipchura.

Stasis

He's been like that all year, and what's worse, Nash suddenly becomes ridiculously unselfish whenever he's on the ice with Richards, to the detriment of his game. It's like he's expecting Richards to be in positions that he isn't in or able to execute plays that he doesn't seem to be able to execute anymore, and he squanders amazing scoring chances because of it. It happened again tonight when Nash basically had a near 1-on-1 against Markstrom but instead decided to pull up and look for Richards, who was behind the play and had two Panthers with him. Needless to say the pass was broken up, and what was almost assuredly a golden scoring chance turned into nothing.

This has happened MANY times this season.

Compare that with how Nash plays when he's with Stepan, and it's like night and day.

I agree. It's one of many problems, but it's a definitely a big part of it. Firstly I think Hagelin-Stepan-Nash should be kept together for like 10 games straight. They've been real hot at times, and I think they'd get over whatever lull in performance they may have, whereas everything Richards touches seems to just suck right now. Gaborik, I have no idea what he's doing. I still like him but any ideas of him flourishing with Richards, or being able to score more with Nash occupying top defenders... none of it has happened, Something needs to change.

Can't have this much talent and be a bubble playoff team that has no easy games. We can't have an easy game at home against a garbage team? We're going nowhere until something changes. I don't think they're just going to "snap out" of a funk. We're not 10 games in now, we're more than halfway through. I guess the one advantage is that in being such a big-market team with no money issues, you know something will be done to rectify the situation. Whether that works for next year or further down the line, at least we know it's gonna happen.

Top Bottom