• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2013 |OT| Black History Forever

Smelly knows where you live and crazed probably has a gun or two hundred I can borrow. So.

ykn6I.jpg

RC

Banned
Go home Desibabu. You're drunk.

For once. You're sort of right. I'll go home, eventually. But, first, I'm going to a friend's house. She's a stripper. And with that, I bid you ado.

Also this is not a place to get your jerk on. After Hours, is about the random, and the weird. Any sort of titillation is purely by accident.

So adding a Druin to your team won't make a difference compared to getting knocked out of the first round? Right.

Didn't get a chance to respond last night:

1) Ottawa isn't bad enough to tank low enough for a guy like Drouin. A few years ago, Anderson alone singlehandedly cost us Landeskog in a year where everything went wrong (kind of like the Habs last year). Maybe we will still implode but so far we are better than anyone expected (again). We are better off pushing for the playoffs and developing that "never quit" attitude which got us this far. Not to mention it'll most likely be years before Drouin makes a real impact at the NHL(and you can be a little skeptical whether he'll be able to pull off the moves he does against NHL defencemen).

2) We still have a bunch of promising forward prospects that haven't touched NHL ice. Collecting prospects is nice but at some point you need to develop them and give them a chance, plus you only have so many roster spots and cap space. Trades and UFA signings will be our next major moves. We traded for Turris, filled our #2C position and the move is looking like a steal so far (for example).

3) The best NHL teams find great talent in the later rounds. You don't necessarily need to tank for a lottery pick. Karlsson was 15th, Silfverberg was a 2nd rounder and our lowest pick in many years Zib was 6th. As a Habs fan you should know this, how many lottery picks did you have before Galchenyuk ?t many at all OTOH.

4) IMHO teams which challenge for a lottery pick every year tend to have problems where losing games because an expectations and no one is really bothered that they lose because you lose so much. It becomes hard to break that cycle.

Didn't get a chance to respond last night:

1) Ottawa isn't bad enough to tank low enough for a guy like Drouin. A few years ago, Anderson alone singlehandedly cost us Landeskog in a year where everything went wrong (kind of like the Habs last year). Maybe we will still implode but so far we are better than anyone expected (again). We are better off pushing for the playoffs and developing that "never quit" attitude which got us this far. Not to mention it'll most likely be years before Drouin makes a real impact at the NHL(and you can be a little skeptical whether he'll be able to pull off the moves he does against NHL defencemen).

2) We still have a bunch of promising forward prospects that haven't touched NHL ice. Collecting prospects is nice but at some point you need to develop them and give them a chance, plus you only have so many roster spots and cap space. Trades and UFA signings will be our next major moves. We traded for Turris, filled our #2C position and the move is looking like a steal so far (for example).

3) The best NHL teams find great talent in the later rounds. You don't necessarily need to tank for a lottery pick. Karlsson was 15th, Silfverberg was a 2nd rounder and our lowest pick in many years Zib was 6th. As a Habs fan you should know this, how many lottery picks did you have before Galchenyuk ?t many at all OTOH.

4) IMHO teams which challenge for a lottery pick every year tend to have problems where losing games because an expectations and no one is really bothered that they lose because you lose so much. It becomes hard to break that cycle.
Agree with everything here. I'd trade 1st overall for a playoff berth any year.

Also
VDl2pru.gif

Solo

Late night NHL GAF went from funny and genuine to the very definition of trying too hard within a week.

No bullshit there.

Solo

Some teams will start clinching playoff spots soon :eek:

Chicago has 51 points, which puts them pretty fucking close. 55-60 points should do it this year.

Solo

LOL Streight wanted to resign in Montreal for a meagre $2.8M after a 60 point season but Gainey didn't want him. Fuck you, Bob!

LOL Streight wanted to resign in Montreal for a meagre $2.8M after a 60 point season but Gainey didn't want him. Fuck you, Bob!

I thought I read so much praise for Gainey when he was hired (ex-Habs great and all).

Seems like he did more harm than good.

Sounds like Muckler for us, who largely got praise for work his predecessors did and somehow thought Redden was worth keeping over Chara.

Solo

I thought I read so much praise for Gainey when he was hired (ex-Habs great and all).

Seems like he did more harm than good.

I praised it when he was brought in - I mean, Habs great + won Cup with Dallas.

It....didn't work out. At all. Like, set-the-franchise-back-several-years type of not at all.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Some teams will start clinching playoff spots soon :eek:

Chicago has 51 points, which puts them pretty fucking close. 55-60 points should do it this year.

Top 4 in the East (minus the Southeast winner) are pretty much established at this point.

Barring Ottawa getting so injured they literally have no more players in the entire system (could happen) they should take 5th.

Which leaves 6-8 as the only positions that will come down to the wire.

Barring Ottawa getting so injured they literally have no more players in the entire system (could happen) they should take 5th.

We're almost at the point where we really don't have anyone to call up.

We've now lost 4 defencemen as of last night. Hopefully Methot and Gonchar are short-term injuries.

Solo

10 of the Habs' top 12 in scoring (Pacioretty, Plekanec, Subban, Markov, Desharnais, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Diaz, Ryder, Emelin) are Montreal draft picks (or in the case of Diaz and Desharnais, guys signed by the Habs with no prior NHL experience). And of course, Carey Price.

#homecooking

It's how you win in today's NHL. You can no longer buy success, you have to draft and develop it.

10 of the Habs' top 12 in scoring (Pacioretty, Plekanec, Subban, Markov, Desharnais, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Diaz, Ryder, Emelin) are Montreal draft picks (or in the case of Diaz and Desharnais, guys signed by the Habs with no prior NHL experience). And of course, Carey Price.

#homecooking

It's how you win in today's NHL. You can no longer buy success, you have to draft and develop it.

What about the Kings last year?

Acid08

Banned
Outlier. Look at the previous 5 Cup winners: Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Anaheim. All homegrown cores. Besides, LA bought Philly's core :lol
I don't think they bought Quick, Brown, Kopitar, and Doughboy. Their core was home grown.

Top Bottom