• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2013 |OT| Black History Forever

Yeah. Clearly on purpose, elbow to the back of the head.

That's pretty unbelievable, considering they just suspended Lupul for a head-shot yesterday. And Lupul (as far as I know) doesn't have a reputation as a reckless or dirty player.

I guess the differences are that Nash is a 'star' and that he plays for a team the NHL desperately wants in the playoffs.

Cake Boss

Banned

iHPMtqfojxD9O.gif

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I find it funny that Lupul can go to throw a body check, hit the guy in the head and get 2 games. Meanwhile Orr grabs a guy unwilling to fight, punches him in the face repeatedly, and get nothing beyond his game misconduct.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I find it funny that Lupul can go to throw a body check, hit the guy in the head and get 2 games. Meanwhile Orr grabs a guy unwilling to fight, punches him in the face repeatedly, and get nothing beyond his game misconduct.

Patrick Kaleta.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I said last night why Nash wasn't going to get suspended. He was clearly trying to dodge Kopecky, and he clearly hits him square between the numbers in the backIt wasn't "clean," per se, but it also wasn't headhunting.

I mean, here, look at this:

ssg10hp.png

This is how he makes contact with him. His lower arm is in the small of Kopecky's back. His upper arm which is supposedly "elbowing him in the head" according to the internet is smack dab between the shoulder blades. It's not a suspension worthy hit.

It SHOULD have been a charging minor. But the officiating in that game sucked anyway.

In other Ranger news, Jeff Halpern has been placed on waivers. I'm kinda bummed about this because I really liked his effort, but he did also have no goals, one assist, and a -5 on the season. The buzz is the Rangers are bringing in Jesper Fasth from Sweden now that his season is over, so this move is probably related.

Hahahahahaha

That IS funny!

edit: Metatron, no. Just no.

Stasis

I think it's pretty damn interesting that anyone expected otherwise to be honest. Absolutely zero to do with being a Rangers fan. I'm completely neutral when it comes to these things because I think some of these hits will ruin the sport if they continue to go unpunished.

It seems pretty obvious to me that he's playing with intensity but actually tries to avoid Kopecky prior to the hit, and then immediately is genuinely concerned and sticks around to make sure he's OK. Just doesn't strike me as that type of player at all, but even taking away reputation, looking at body movement... I wouldn't think that was intentional from anyone. My issue would simply be with the league's continued inconsistency on these things. Some clearly unintentional hits have been punished, while some awful ones haven't been. Edit: Disclaimer on this = all opinion. Should be obvious. Many disagree, and that's totally cool.

All that aside: Ny Rangers favoritism of all things? Man that shit's just ridiculous about any team. God some people are funny with their inability to process anger logically.

ShaneB

This is what baffles me when fighting is "allowed". Go for a body check and things go wrong and it's the talk of the day, but feel free to fight and punch each other repeatedly in the head. That's no big deal.

Merguson

Banned
Damien Cox has some salt for Brendan Shanahan.

I have to believe there will at least be a hearing for Nash. Otherwise, this entire process is irretrievably broken and possibly corrupt.
If Lupul got two and Nash doesn't even get a hearing the Leafs should and must file a letter of protest with NHL. This cannot be true.
Shanahan, an ex-Ranger, would be exposing himself to serious conflict of interest allegations if there is no Nash hearing/suspension.
Nothing for Nash while Lupul gets two is not only wrong, its tampering with integrity of playoff race. Let's hope this is misunderstanding.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Kaleta deserved to get his ass beat.

I'm all for watching Kaleta eat punches, but doesn't it seem a little backwards?

Makes it seem like fighting is a more important, or integral part of the game than checking is. If Orr had instead lined him up, and accidentally delivered a head check, he'd probably be looking at 5 games.

Cake Boss

Banned
Am I the only one that thought the Nash hit was at least just as bad as the Kaleta hit, maybe even worse. Kaleta barely pushed him, he lost his balance and fucked himself over, I seen players push other players harder than that and they still stay up in the boards. I thought Richards looked weak as shit there.

*put on flame suit*

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one that thought the Nash hit was at least just as bad as the Kaleta hit, maybe even worse.

*put on flame suit*
Kaleta's hit could have crippled someone if they were unlucky or ever so slightly closer to the boards. Nash's hit made a guy fall over in the middle of the ice for 10 seconds before he got up and skated off.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Kaleta's hit could have crippled someone if they were unlucky or ever so slightly closer to the boards. Nash's hit made a guy fall over in the middle of the ice for 10 seconds before he got up and skated off.

So you're saying as long as players don't get injured there should be no bans?

Cake Boss

Banned

wut?

Nash's hit could have concussed someone if they were unlucky or ever so slightly closer to his head. Kaleta's hit made a guy fall over in the boards for 10 seconds before he got up and skated off.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So you're saying as long as players don't get injured there should be no bans?
No, it's just orders of magnitude. Nash was also obviously attempting to avoid contact (you can see this in his body language leading into the hit...he was originally coming across to try and make a play before Kopecky fired off the shot and the play was blown dead), tried to jump when he couldn't, and ended up plowing right through a guy's back. Kaleta, on the other hand, wasn't really going anywhere and made an active decision to go out of his way to crosscheck the guy in front of him, which could only really have one result.

I don't understand why people are surprised by this one when 1) Nash didn't even hit him in the head in the first place or near the boards, 2) Kopecky was fine after the play, and 3) Nash has no history of suspension. NONE of these things are true of the Kaleta hit.

Obviously the NHL agrees with me.

It was, however, pretty much a textbook definition of charging. People SHOULD be questioning how 4 officials managed to miss such an obvious penalty right in the middle of the offensive zone.

Tabris

Outlier. Look at the previous 5 Cup winners: Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Anaheim. All homegrown cores. Besides, LA bought Philly's core :lol

All of the teams you listed were put over the edge by grabbing big assests that year or a couple years before.

Here's just some of the example players: Marian Hossa, Scott Niedermayer, Chris Pronger, Zdnero Chara, Brian Campbell, etc.

It is extremely hard to win a Stanley Cup with only home grown players.

EDIT - I mean look at LA before they got Richards and Carter. Think Anaheim could have won without Neidermayer and Pronger?

Stasis

It was, however, pretty much a textbook definition of charging. People SHOULD be questioning how 4 officials managed to miss such an obvious penalty right in the middle of the offensive zone.

Should have been a penalty, and there should be a thorough explanation yes.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Here you go, Red Wings fans. We've been waiting for this statement. You know the one--the same one we hear EVERY year near the trade deadline.

Mike Babcock said:
“Bert and Helmer and Sammy (Mikael Samuelsson) have been on our roster, but I haven't seen them. It would be like a trade-deadline deal (getting one or two back). It would be unbelievable to have them.

*Bangs head on desk*

Top Bottom