• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2013 |OT| Black History Forever

Marvie_3

Banned
Did Feaster at least tell him "hey the deal is off..."

"Remember when I said you'd get Iginla?"

QhldaTf.jpg

"I lied."

sammich

Im sure Feaster told him that according to him and the parameters set for him, the deal is a GO.. but Jerome still has to sign off. Im sure every team that inquired and was on this list knew that.

A good breakdown of what i think happened from CP:

"So let me try and take another crack at how this went down

- Iginla and/or agent supply Calgary with the list – it includes both Pitt and Boston
- But player still has to sign-off on final deal when done
- Flames/Bruins agree on deal. Feaster figures its done since Boston is on the list. Both teams are confident enough that they scratch players.
- Deal is taken to Iginla camp
- Iginla camp says no. Has to be Pitt.
- Feaster now stuck. If word gets out that Iginla has picked only Pitt he’s got zero leverage. He can't call Boston to let them know because if he does the word is out that it is Pitt and Pitt alone.
- Calls Pitt and makes the best deal he can in short order
- Boston out of luck, Feaster’s hands forced.

Basically if I’m interpreting this all correctly – at some point Iginla’s list went from a few teams to one. Which is his right, but it certainly limited the likely return."

Parch

It was Iginla's choice, but the Boston deal didn't compare to the Pittsburgh deal. Calgary had the same choice.

For the Flamers complaining about the turd return for Iginla's legacy, if they wanted to start a serious rebuild, they should have traded him last year. You don't get much for unsigned players.

Leaked:

Dear Peter Chiarelli,

I'm writing you this email because I think our relationship has run its course. You've changed too much since we met, and I don't like it. I called the nursery school program, and they agreed to let you in after they assessed your maturity level. Frankly, you just don't care enough about me. Luckily I care enough about me to make up for it, by saying goodbye to you. The fact that you forgot our anniversary just confirms that it's time for "we" to become "me." I don't know how to break it to you, but I found someone else to replace you. You know what they say: out with the old, in with the new!

All that nagging of yours worked, assuming your intent was to get rid of me. You don't live in a soap opera, so quit causing so much drama. I'm not a puppet, you can't just control me by pulling on a string, so why do you try to control everything I do? I need my freedom, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Sorry, but you're not even worth keeping as a friend. Give me back my keys, I don't want you coming around here anymore. I'm not sure whether we can see each other again in the future but, for now at least, I definitely need my own space. I think you get the idea: this relationship is over.

Enjoy yourself!
Jay Feaster

Stasis

Rangers going with the same lines tonight.

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Gaborik-Miller-Callahan
Kreider-Richards-Boyle
Pyatt-Newbury-Asham

Lundqvist in net.

The little optimist in me wants to be happy with the news since Torts is FINALLY sticking with something that worked well, but at the same time I have to remember that it worked against Philly. That doesn't mean much of anything.

Decent test tonight. Depleted Sens roster still has an awesome home record and can easily beat us.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The little optimist in me wants to be happy with the news since Torts is FINALLY sticking with something that worked well, but at the same time I have to remember that it worked against Philly. That doesn't mean much of anything.
Yeah, this is how I've been feeling the last two days. I want to believe in this team. The team that played on Tuesday could be a legit contender. But, again, that was against the Flyers. Are they ACTUALLY contenders, or was that just a one-off against a shitty team? Tonight's game will go a long ways toward beginning to answer that.

did iginla actually reject the deal to boston after putting them on his 'list'? that's of a dick move. unless it hinged on an extension?

the least you can do is provide your GM with a select few teams that you are willing to go to, and let them take the best deal they can get.

sammich

did iginla actually reject the deal to boston after putting them on his 'list'? that's of a dick move. unless it hinged on an extension?

the least you can do is provide your GM with a select few teams that you are willing to go to, and let them take the best deal they can get.

Iginla can say he would sign with 30 teams if he wanted to. He chose 4. Feaster went with those 4. Thought he had a deal with Boston. Iginila changes his mind and wants to go to Pitt. Feaster now is stuck with trying not to let Pitts know that they are the only team. He cant tell Boston that the deal is off as he cant let it out that Pitt is the only team. So he tries to get as much as he can out of Pitts.

Until Iginla signs off on the deal due to his NTC, there is no deal. No matter what the GM of any team thinks.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Im sure Feaster told him that according to him and the parameters set for him, the deal is a GO.. but Jerome still has to sign off. Im sure every team that inquired and was on this list knew that.

A good breakdown of what i think happened from CP:

"So let me try and take another crack at how this went down

- Iginla and/or agent supply Calgary with the list – it includes both Pitt and Boston
- But player still has to sign-off on final deal when done
- Flames/Bruins agree on deal. Feaster figures its done since Boston is on the list. Both teams are confident enough that they scratch players.
- Deal is taken to Iginla camp
- Iginla camp says no. Has to be Pitt.
- Feaster now stuck. If word gets out that Iginla has picked only Pitt he’s got zero leverage. He can't call Boston to let them know because if he does the word is out that it is Pitt and Pitt alone.
- Calls Pitt and makes the best deal he can in short order
- Boston out of luck, Feaster’s hands forced.

Basically if I’m interpreting this all correctly – at some point Iginla’s list went from a few teams to one. Which is his right, but it certainly limited the likely return."

These two seem unlikely just based on how "honour bound" NHL GMs seem to be with each other. If they say a deal is finalized they don't go back on it. This is the type of thing that other GMs would potentially shun a guy for doing.

Only thing I can think of that could have happened is they liked Boston's deal better and accepted it thinking it was fine since they were one of the four teams. They bring it to Iginla after finalizing the deal and he rejects it citing he'd rather go to Pittsburgh.

Iginla can say he would sign with 30 teams if he wanted to. He chose 4. Feaster went with those 4. Thought he had a deal with Boston. Iginila changes his mind and wants to go to Pitt. Feaster now is stuck with trying not to let Pitts know that they are the only team. He cant tell Boston that the deal is off as he cant let it out that Pitt is the only team. So he tries to get as much as he can out of Pitts.

Until Iginla signs off on the deal due to his NTC, there is no deal. No matter what the GM of any team thinks.
none of this changes what i stated. it was kind of a dick move for iginla to give his list and then change his mind at the last second. he should have left it at a list of teams and let his GM work.

sammich

These two seem unlikely just based on how "honour bound" NHL GMs seem to be with each other. If they say a deal is finalized they don't go back on it. This is the type of thing that other GMs would potentially shun a guy for doing.

Only thing I can think of that could have happened is they liked Boston's deal better and accepted it thinking it was fine since they were one of the four teams. They bring it to Iginla after finalizing the deal and he rejects it citing he'd rather go to Pittsburgh.

I disagree with your first statement. Until the paperwork is signed, nothing is done. Plus Boston never said the deal was done yesterday. Only the media did. What was stopping them from doing so yesterday. They should have knows until the paperwork was done, nothing is set in stone.

Agree with the second though. Im sure thats whats what went down. They did state that they liked Bostons deal better.

Did Iginla gave them a list of teams he'd consider accepting a trade to or a list of teams he'd automatically waive for ?

Because it sounds like he still hadn't agreed to anything and when it came down to it he chose Pittsburgh.

We went through this with Heatley. He originally said we could talk to Edmonton but in the end he refused to waive his NTC for anyone but San Jose.

Can a hockey trade, when a NTC exists, work like a transfer in socccer/football?

For example:

Arsenal receives 2 offers for Jack Wilshere. West Ham bids 5m plus Ricardo Vaz Te and Manchester City bids 6m plus Micah Richards.

Arsenal accepts both offers, but it's up to Wilshere himself to essentially choose which club he joins (by accepting personal contract terms).

I'm wondering if both Boston's and Pittsburgh's offers were accepted, and it just came down to Iginla picking between the two.

zedge

It was Iginla's choice, but the Boston deal didn't compare to the Pittsburgh deal. Calgary had the same choice.

For the Flamers complaining about the turd return for Iginla's legacy, if they wanted to start a serious rebuild, they should have traded him last year. You don't get much for unsigned players.
Haven't seen many complaining here. More everyone else. I don't think they could have done much better.

jbug617

Banned
Did Iginla gave them a list of teams he'd consider accepting a trade to or a list of teams he'd automatically waive for ?

Because it sounds like he still hadn't agreed to anything and when it came down to it he chose Pittsburgh.

We went through this with Heatley. He originally said we could talk to Edmonton but in the end he refused to waive his NTC for anyone but San Jose.

He gave a list of 4 teams (Boston, Pittsburgh, Los Angeles and Chicago). Feaster agreed to Boston deal but Jarome really wanted to go to Pittsburgh.

Also liked Chiarelli saying Pittsburgh is a lock to win it all.

3N16MA

Banned

The deal was finalized only between two GMs verbally and nothing more. Chiarelli assumed Jarome was on board but unless the guy who has all the power in this situation gives the OK nothing is really a done deal (I'm sure Chiarelli knew this) . What would Feaster have done if he presents the deal to Jarome and his agent and they say no? He can't force him to accept.

Cake Boss

Banned
Then why the fuck would Iginla put Boston on his list and let his GM engage in trade talk if he never wanted to go there in the 1st place.

3N16MA

Banned
Then why the fuck would Iginla put Boston on his list and let his GM engage in trade talk if he never wanted to go there in the 1st place.

Perhaps he changed his mind after the moves the Pens made in recent days. He thought his best chance of winning was in Pittsburgh.

EDIT: Also the Bruins are 8-5-2 in March which includes two losses each to the Habs and Pens. I'm not saying they're doomed but he could have changed his mind on the Bruins.

Futureman

I don't know what to say really as a Pens fan.

I guess the only disappointment is that we have this team during the gimp season, but HEY! A Cup is a Cup if we win it.

3N16MA

Banned
I don't know what to say really as a Pens fan.

I guess the only disappointment is that we have this team during the gimp season, but HEY! A Cup is a Cup if we win it.

Ever read the boards on ESPN? The Heat still get knocked for their shortened season championship.

Ever read the boards on ESPN? The Heat still get knocked for their shortened season championship.

If its not that its team stacking. Or whatever ever reason critics want to default to. I dont think anyone is questioning the Heats dominance. Chips a chip, cups a cup, period.

CrankyJay

Banned
Iggy playing tonight? I'd like to see his first game in a Pens jersey.

You know, shit like this this where an aging player dictates where he goes in order to win a cup, and making an already stacked team better, pisses me off. Entirely because this type of shit happens to crappy teams like mine.

I'll be actively cheering for their choking.

‏@StLouisBlues Brian Elliott has been assigned to Peoria for conditioning, where he will start two games and return to St. Louis. http://bit.ly/ZDQG4t

No waivers. Damn.

Halak said:
"You never get into a rhythm in a game or in a practice with three goalies out there. It's not the way it's supposed to be."

"Giving up the winning goal in Calgary ... I don't think I made a bad play," Halak said. "Reds, he kind of scooted on my stick so I couldn't really put it out there. When I did, it was too late. Those are the little things. They add up as the games go on, but I have to look ahead, go out, have fun and try to win a game. That's as simple as it is."

Everyone loves whiner and finger-pointer.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
"Earlier today, according to the Daily News, John Tortorella was asked if the Rangers want to carry over momentum that they built up in their win over the Flyers.

Tortorella, sarcastically, responded “no” and said “we want to end it right there and lose tonight.”"

Oh, Torts. What will we ever do with you.

He has a point, hard to focus on the job when 3 guys are fighting for it.

So take responsibility and your job back? He's the highest paid player on the team. Allen wouldn't be there if either Halak or Elliott could play worth a damn. I don't see Allen whining. Shit, I don't see Elliott whining and he just accepted a conditioning run in Peoria.

Start making some difficult saves once in a while or work on your awful rebound control, and maybe I'll feel sorry.

"Earlier today, according to the Daily News, John Tortorella was asked if the Rangers want to carry over momentum that they built up in their win over the Flyers.

Tortorella, sarcastically, responded “no” and said “we want to end it right there and lose tonight.”"

Well what kind of stupid ass question is that?

Spl1nter

hahahaha that question

Acid08

Banned
Montreal officially offered LeBlanc and Nashville's second for Clowe.

I bet DW is trying to get that second upgraded to Calgary's which Montreal also has.

Bruins counter with Koko plus a second? I would prefer that.

Heretic

Well what kind of stupid ass question is that?

Seriously! That's like when they ask game developers how awesome their game is going to be...

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Montreal officially offered LeBlanc and Nashville's second for Clowe.

I bet DW is trying to get that second upgraded to Calgary's which Montreal also has.

Bruins counter with Koko plus a second? I would prefer that.
Really? Where'd you hear this? I hope they don't give up Leblanc for him.

Top Bottom