• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2013 |OT| Black History Forever

Marvie_3

Banned
And we were damn close to it in 2011 and who knows in 2012 if it wasn't for Duncan Keith. Shit happens but stop giving up.

iqUb8x9YYxUNt.gif

You weren't beating L.A., with or without Danielle.

RC

Banned
Our core is Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Schneider, Edler, Bieksa, and Hamhuis? That's half over 30. You know, except for Kane and Toews being young, we're not that far off from the Blackhawks in terms of age.

And we were damn close to it in 2011 and who knows in 2012 if it wasn't for Duncan Keith. Shit happens but stop giving up.

I look at my team realistically. What you dismiss as pessimism and negativity are actually cold, hard truths.
No team performs better the harder you believe in them. We win or lose, destiny has nothing to do with either.

Marvie_3

Banned
I look at my team realistically. What you dismiss as pessimism and negativity are actually cold, hard truths.
No team performs better the harder you believe in them. We win or lose, destiny has nothing to do with either.

HOW DARE YOU DENY THE ALL POWERFUL DESTINY??

Tabris

Realistically? I think it's actually the opposite. You have an unrealistic expectation of our team. Unless they play perfectly, it's not good enough for you. They are not always going to be first. They are going to go through losing streaks. They are still doing extremely well.

I think Canuck fans like yourself have lost a key trait, appreciation. I appreciate what this Canucks team has done.

Just because a bunch of shitty Canucks teams over the last 40 years have never won a Stanley Cup (I mean come on, even the Linden/Pavel Bure/Kirk McLean team wasn't that good and had everything go right for them during that playoff run) shouldn't affect your expectations and how you cheer on this current team.

I mean you really need to look at fans of teams like the Flames to get perspective on what we have.

Realistically? I think it's actually the opposite. You have an unrealistic expectation of our team. Unless they play perfectly, it's not good enough for you. They are not always going to be first. They are going to go through losing streaks. They are still doing extremely well.

I think Canuck fans like yourself have lost a key trait, appreciation. I appreciate what this Canucks team has done.

Just because a bunch of shitty Canucks teams over the last 40 years have never won a Stanley Cup (I mean come on, even the Linden/Pavel Bure/Kirk McLean team wasn't that good and had everything go right for them during that playoff run) shouldn't affect your expectations and how you cheer on this current team.

I mean you really need to look at fans of teams like the Flames to get perspective on what we have.
No they're not. On paper we have one of the best defenses in the league, but on ice, they've been a completely different beast for half the season. Our scoring depth should be great, but right now, guys like Kassian, Booth and Schroeder just aren't getting pucks into the net due to a mix of either bad luck or bad coaching. Our goaltending has fallen from its godly heights to mediocrity... to the point that Ray fucking Emery is doing better than our both our netminders.

The Canucks are severely under performing. We are losing games that we shouldn't be losing, and barely scraping by with wins in others. Sure we've dominated some, but we've been wildly inconsistent and that has not been a good thing. Our team is playing patchwork hockey and it WILL catch up to us at some point.

Tabris

I'm talking holistically as he's voiced the same opinions for a while. Of course right now we're not performing great, but it's a mid-season lull / losing streak.

Acid08

Banned
Bolding words makes them more important.

I was noticing some similarities between Booth tonight and how Havlat has been playing. As in they both look kind of bad and can't get shit going. Not doing much but skating(quickly at least) and taking up space on the ice.

Marvie_3

Banned
No they're not. On paper we have one of the best defenses in the league, but on ice, they've been a completely different beast for half the season. Our scoring depth should be great, but right now, guys like Kassian, Booth and Schroeder just aren't getting pucks into the net due to a mix of either bad luck or bad coaching. Our goaltending has fallen from its godly heights to mediocrity... to the point that Ray fucking Emery is doing better than our both our netminders.

The Canucks are severely under performing. We are losing games that we shouldn't be losing, and barely scraping by with wins in others. Sure we've dominated some, but we've been wildly inconsistent and that has not been a good thing. Our team is playing patchwork hockey and it WILL catch up to us at some point.

Ray fucking Emery has gotten as many teams to the Cup Finals as both of your goalies combined. ;)

Bolding words makes them more important.

I was noticing some similarities between Booth tonight and how Havlat has been playing. As in they both look kind of bad and can't get shit going. Not doing much but skating(quickly at least) and taking up space on the ice.
Those are two important ass words you have in that post.

Solo

James Stephan ‏@J_Habs
LeBrun: #Habs want to get bigger up front, think of Prust, same idea, top 9 player. Possible trade bait those 2nds and 3rds stockpiled

Not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, Prusty definitely needs some backup and it would be a chance to maybe dump Gionta or Moen, but on the other hand, I don't want to give up any of our 2nd round picks.

Alucard

Banned

Listen, the reason people scoff at your posts on here is because of your personal promise of "destiny!" in back-to-back seasons. You were wrong. Both times. Because of this, practically no one on here takes you seriously and thinks of you as the worst poster in this community. Is it fair to judge a person based on their past behaviour and not on their current words and actions? Maybe not entirely, but when your current words and actions just continue to reflect the same delusional view of the hockey world, people are going to roll their eyes at you and turn their backs. The way you seem to have multiple favourite teams in other sports which you jump from depending on who's doing well also isn't doing you any favours. It makes some people in this community question how much of you we're actually going to see when the Canucks go through a rebuilding period.

Plain and simple, you come off as a fan with an overly simplistic and unrealistic perspective of your "favourite" team.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
images

"Bring it on, man."

:lol

There have been a few bad goals, but their was a few shitty bounces and broken coverage as well. Price will get it sorted out.

Regarding a trade, I wonder who the Habs would try to get? If Bourque is going to be out even longer they may have to do this.

Cake Boss

Banned
He was asked what has to be better for the Flyers in the second half, which starts Thursday at home against the Pittsburgh Penguins.

"I can't afford to say this," Bryzgalov said. "We have coaches who've got to be responsible for the improvements."

A major problem against the Rangers was line changes, with two of the four goals allowed by the Flyers the result of poor decisions about getting off the ice.

Oh shit shots fired.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Oh shit shots fired.

Yikes. But yeah, Bryz wasn't really the Flyers' main issue last night. He maybe could have taken more of the body on Cally's break-in, but there wasn't much more he could do on the other 3 goals. Even Nash's first goal, which was an unscreened straight on shot, was the EXACT same shot in the exact same location that beat Ryan Miller in the last game.

Speaking of Rick Nash, he is now on a seven game point scoring streak, with 5 goals and 6 assists in the last 7 games he has played in. The Rangers are 6-0-1 in those 7 games and 3-0-0 in the games since he's returned, with goals in each of those last 3 games. Think we missed him?

Also, all 7 of Nash's goals on the season have come in the third period. Earlier on in the season he was our best player on the ice, but the chemistry wasn't quite there yet with the team, and he was getting double and triple teamed so often that he was basically never getting good looks and thus wasn't getting the goals. The rest of the team seems to have gotten used to having a guy like Nash around, though. They're learning how to move with him, how to feed to him, how to respond to his rushes and be in the right positions and take pressure off of him. They also seem to be learning some of his moves. Cally's second goal was absolutely identical to one Nash scored earlier in the year, only from the opposite wing. J.T. Miller tried a Nash style rush through a couple of Flyers last night and nearly got through. Been seeing a lot of guys trying to be Nash over the last few games, hahaha. If Cally is the team's soul, Nash seems to be its muse.

Oh shit shots fired.

Man I am getting so sick of Bryz. After every single loss this year you hear that it wasnt his fault, and dont blame Bryz. Flyers had a 2-1 lead on the road against a division rival. It would be nice if maybe just once the goalie could make a lead like that stand up. I know bad line changes lead to the scoring chances, but maybe Bryz could try to poke check a guy or something. The team and the media are so afraid of him going all space cadet again this year that they treat him like a baby.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, Prusty definitely needs some backup and it would be a chance to maybe dump Gionta or Moen, but on the other hand, I don't want to give up any of our 2nd round picks.

Prust had made Moen look so bad. Maybe we can dump him off to the Oilers looking for some gritty veterans. I don't see them trading Gionta, but I'd do it if someone was looking to buy.

Heretic

Ugh... We have the desert dogs tonight... for the third consecutive time. Ducks need to tighten up that D. I can't bare to see Mike Smith fist bump the floor again like he did after both shootout wins.

Stasis

Also, all 7 of Nash's goals on the season have come in the third period. Earlier on in the season he was our best player on the ice, but the chemistry wasn't quite there yet with the team, and he was getting double and triple teamed so often that he was basically never getting good looks and thus wasn't getting the goals. The rest of the team seems to have gotten used to having a guy like Nash around, though. They're learning how to move with him, how to feed to him, how to respond to his rushes and be in the right positions and take pressure off of him. They also seem to be learning some of his moves. Cally's second goal was absolutely identical to one Nash scored earlier in the year, only from the opposite wing. J.T. Miller tried a Nash style rush through a couple of Flyers last night and nearly got through. Been seeing a lot of guys trying to be Nash over the last few games, hahaha. If Cally is the team's soul, Nash seems to be its muse.

Agreed on all points. When I saw Cally score that goal I immediately imagined him spending an afternoon with Nash showing him how to do that, lol. Really does seem like he's influencing the team. I know a lot of people will try to say we need to feel good about the trade as the reason for praise, but at this point I do that trade 10 times out of 10. I love Nash on the Rangers, more than any player in a long time. I already feel like he is a core part of this team.

Cally, Nash, McDonagh, Girardi, Lundqvist. Those are who I think of when I think of the Rangers just in terms of who they are and what they bring to the team. Prust would be on this list if he were still with us.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Man I am getting so sick of Bryz. After every single loss this year you hear that it wasnt his fault, and dont blame Bryz. Flyers had a 2-1 lead on the road against a division rival. It would be nice if maybe just once the goalie could make a lead like that stand up. I know bad line changes lead to the scoring chances, but maybe Bryz could try to poke check a guy or something. The team and the media are so afraid of him going all space cadet again this year that they treat him like a baby.
2 of the goals he gave up because he DID try to poke check them...

Curufinwe

That's great, but even if his eye is fine the Rangers are idiots if they don't shut him down for the season. Getting a second concussion after rushing back from his eye injury was what ended Pronger's career.

And whiffed. He needs to give the poke checking on breakaways a rest.

Solo

Prust had made Moen look so bad. Maybe we can dump him off to the Oilers looking for some gritty veterans. I don't see them trading Gionta, but I'd do it if someone was looking to buy.

I'm trying to think of a player we could get in return that fits the Prust model.

So what was your comment pertaining to?

The trade last year and how Kassian has only 7 points compared to Hodgson's 21 or so points this year.

Ugh... We have the desert dogs tonight... for the third consecutive time. Ducks need to tighten up that D. I can't bare to see Mike Smith fist bump the floor again like he did after both shootout wins.

You better win!! Stop letting them get points!

I thought on the first one he just kjnd of turned his body and let the guy go by and score. I didnt think he actually did anything to stop the goal. Maybe poke check was the wrong thing to complain about but it just seems like he gives up on plays way to many times.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Cally, Nash, McDonagh, Girardi, Lundqvist. Those are who I think of when I think of the Rangers just in terms of who they are and what they bring to the team. Prust would be on this list if he were still with us.

I would increasingly add Stepan to that list, especially if he continues the way he has been playing. He had an AWFUL start to the year, but over the last several weeks he has really turned things around and has been playing great. This is probably at least partially due to having his line stabilize with Hagelin and Nash as his wingers. He's increasingly looking like our future #1 center (hell, he's our #1 center NOW, even with Richards in the lineup).

Solo

I remember KingHenrik and many others laughing when the Habs signed Prust. "Overpayment!", etc.

Dude has been an absolutely fantastic signing and worth every penny. Talk about a heart and soul player.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I remember KingHenrik and many others laughing when the Habs signed Prust. "Overpayment!", etc.

Dude has been an absolutely fantastic signing and worth every penny. Talk about a heart and soul player.

He is a little overpaid, especially compared to some of our other guys that we needed to pay this past off-season, but Prust is really great. We just couldn't afford to give that kind of contract to a player like Prust. Of all the guys we lost in the off-season, we missed him by far the most. Not even really a contest. Happy he's been doing great with the Habs.

We still need a guy with Prust's physicality and fighting ability. It's the X-factor this team is still missing.

Stasis

I never saw it as overpaying personally. I wanted NY to match that offer, though with his gf in Montreal he may have left anyway. I know he genuinely liked playing with the Rangers so I think there's a chance he'd still be with us if not for that offer.

Basically I just hate you for that. I can't blame him at all for taking that money. We miss Prust, whether some of us choose to admit it or not. Just seeing you guys refer to him as Prusty or Pruster makes me angry inside =/

That's great, but even if his eye is fine the Rangers are idiots if they don't shut him down for the season. Getting a second concussion after rushing back from his eye injury was what ended Pronger's career.

As much as they'd probably value your professional and unbiased opinion, I'm fairly certain the Rangers medical staff and Staal can come to a reasonable conclusion on how to go about treating an injury that hasn't even been revealed yet.

Cake Boss

Banned
So the team's active leading scorer sits out tonight, but the guy that hasnt scored in an entire calender year still plays.

And wouldnt be surprised if he gets the majority of the fucking PP time again while the skilled players like Silfver and zibby sit out.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
24/7 Rangers/Flyers is on HBO right now so I'm watching it while I work. Really enjoying it. The shit talking on the ice is awesome.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Would anyone from Canucks/Vancouver-GAF be interested in a game/pub meetup one day?

Top Bottom