• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2013 |OT| Black History Forever

So the team's active leading scorer sits out tonight, but the guy that hasnt scored in an entire calender year still plays.

And wouldnt be surprised if he gets the majority of the fucking PP time again while the skilled players like Silfver and zibby sit out.

We've got one of the best NHL coaches behind the bench. I am not even going to think of questioning his lineup choices. A bit odd but whatever's he's done lately is working.

Besides Smith is a defensive centre and an agitator, he's not paid to score. He need him to harass Kadri tonight.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Hamrlik? Wtf Slats. I don't like it.

Edit: Though I suppose it's not awful for a 3rd pairing vet.

Staal is out indefinitely, so we need a D-man immediately. Grabbing Hamrlik is a good move to get somebody in right away without having to lose anything else. He's also a UFA at the end of the year, so this is basically a rental.

In the meantime, Sather is also working to bring in Zuccarello now that his KHL season is over.

Cake Boss

Banned
Yeah sure hes a defensice centre and an agitator but god damn, go a whole year without a single goal? With all of that PP time and increased minutes, you would think he can chip in the odd goal here and there.

He scored 15 last season, he clearly overachieved, I am not asking him to repeat that but at least 1 goal every year would help. Even the rookies that have been called up have scored more goals in their short time here.

Yeah sure hes a defensice centre and an agitator but god damn, go a whole year without a single goal? With all of that PP time and increased minutes, you would think he can chip in the odd goal here and there.

He scored 15 last season, he clearly overachieved, I am not asking him to repeat that but at least 1 goal every year would help. Even the rookies that have been called up have scored more goals in their short time here.

Yeah I get what you're saying but I don't think he is playing bad, he's like most of the team just cursed with scoring. He's had chances but he whiffs on every single one of them. You bench guys that are just playing awful and PMac is awfully careful who he benches.

Kind of sucks for JOB but I guess we need the others more.

Hopefully with Stone and Michalek back in the top 6 can actually buy a goal or two. I'm interested to see how Stone does tonight.

Is Halak or FAILiott hurt ? or you going to have 3 goalies on the roster ?

No one really knows right now. Allen had a game in Peoria last night, so they could have planned on recalling him afterwards regardless of how we did last night.

Could be gearing up for a trade of some sort, could be moving Elliott through waivers (and hoping someone picks him up), could just be using an open roster slot to light a fire under both Halak and Eliott's asses.

Edit: Armstrong just said in an interview that we're rolling with 3 for now and he didn't have any plans to roll the dice with waivers for Elliott. Not like he would say otherwise if that wasn't true.

I'd like someone to ask him about Lehtera far more than the goalie situation.

Curufinwe

As much as they'd probably value your professional and unbiased opinion, I'm fairly certain the Rangers medical staff and Staal can come to a reasonable conclusion on how to go about treating an injury that hasn't even been revealed yet.

I'm biased towards to erring on the safe side when it comes to head injuries. NHL medical staffs send players back out too early far too often after concussions.

Missed last night's discussion, but I agree about the Canucks' window. They've got one, maybe two years left for this core. The cap's going to drop next year so they'll have to make some decisions about Ballard and Luongo.

Right now they won't be able to replace the Sedins. With their top-four defense locked up for the next few years what do they do about Tanev? The farm is still pretty thin. Kassian has potential, but the fact is that right now the Canucks could've really used Hodgson (even with a healthy Kesler).

Even with a healthy lineup the Canucks still need a third-line centre and a top-six winger. So you can imagine what they'll need when the Sedins are no longer elite players.

Silexx

We've got one of the best NHL coaches behind the bench. I am not even going to think of questioning his lineup choices. A bit odd but whatever's he's done lately is working.

Besides Smith is a defensive centre and an agitator, he's not paid to score. He need him to harass Kadri tonight.

Yeah I'm with KernelPanic on this one. Good on O'Brien for the goals he's managed to get so far, but that doesn't mean he's now become essential to our offensive output.

Stasis

I'm biased towards to erring on the safe side when it comes to head injuries. NHL medical staffs send players back out too early far too often after concussions.

I don't think any true fan wants a player rushed back when it's potentially detrimental to his long-term well-being.

I'm just sayin' it's a bit intense to claim they're idiots if they don't immediately shut him down for the season when we don't even know what the deal is yet.

Even with a healthy lineup the Canucks still need a third-line centre and a top-six winger. So you can imagine what they'll need when the Sedins are no longer elite players.

Trading Schneider should be a priority now with all the goalie injuries in the East. I'm sure they could get good value back for him even though his value has to have dropped a bit since the off-season.

GMMG might have blown this one.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Trading Schneider should be a priority now with all the goalie injuries in the East. I'm sure they could get good value back for him even though his value has to have dropped a bit since the off-season.

GMMG might have blown this one.

We want to trade Luongo though :(

bremon

We want to trade Luongo though :(
I don't care which one of them goes, they are both good goaltenders. Vancouver has too much money tied up in a tandem that they only get 50% of on the ice on any given night. It's almost like having a second Ballard in the press box every night lol.

Curufinwe

Spector on Pronger: Nothing to gain from return

Speaking with Sportsnet’s Dan Murphy in a two-part series to be aired on Sportsnet Wednesday and Thursday, the first thing you notice is the absence of Pronger’s trademark swagger. It is a time of weakness, a side of Pronger we have never been privy to — like Samson after the haircut. A guy who never gave an inch is now about 30 yards behind the battle, and unsure — that’s right, Pronger is not at all confident here — if he will catch up.

“What’s happened was I had 30-year-old eyes. I got hit and the doctor told me I had 60-year-old eyes,” the former Hartford Whaler, St. Louis Blue, Edmonton Oiler, Anaheim Duck and Philadelphia Flyer tells Murphy. “I don’t have very good peripheral vision. That so-called sixth sense? I used to really have a good one. Now, I couldn’t feel anybody comin’ around a corner. My kids scare me all the time.

“That used to be what I was known for: knowing where everybody was; having a feel for who was around me. Now I don’t have that.”

“It’s gotten a little bit better. I can leave the house, go do the stuff,” he said of the symptoms that followed a stick in the eye, Oct. 24, 2011, and a subsequent head trauma in a game about three weeks later. “If I do too much I may get a headache. Occasionally, if I start to feel a bit better I do a bit more, and I get nauseous.”

Smiley90

"It's a bit better now, I can leave the house and go do stuff now".

Oh man. :/

I don't care which one of them goes, they are both good goaltenders. Vancouver has too much money tied up in a tandem that they only get 50% of on the ice on any given night. It's almost like having a second Ballard in the press box every night lol.

It's a pretty good tandem to have in a shortened season with games so compressed. But it's not sustainable going forward.

Schneider would fetch a much better return than Luongo. But at this point, with everyone saying Luongo will be traded and Schneider the No. 1, it's too late for that.

If the Canucks were making a serious short-term Cup run they could trade Schneider for a top-six winger, but I don't see Gillis making that deal, especially after the Hodgson trade.

Smiley90

It's a pretty good tandem to have in a shortened season with games so compressed. But it's not sustainable going forward.

Schneider would fetch a much better return than Luongo. But at this point, with everyone saying Luongo will be traded and Schneider the No. 1, it's too late for that.

If the Canucks were making a serious short-term Cup run they could trade Schneider for a top-six winger, but I don't see Gillis making that deal, especially after the Hodgson trade.

If not now, when is the time to make a cup run? After the Sedins retire, we suck, get good picks and those players grow for a couple years?

Won't even be home to watch the embarrassment tonight. Though I suspect our guys are going to show up tonight, always seems like playing the Hawks is a good time for them.

Alucard

Banned
I'm bored. Here are players who currently have fewer points than Chris Kunitz:

Kane
Tavares
Getzlaf
Zetterberg
Datsyuk
Elias
Giroux
Malkin
H. Sedin
D. Sedin
Thornton
Semin
Ovechkin

YES. Jensen will be going straight to Chicago on Friday. Will now be available to be called up by the Canucks whenever they want.

Apparently his season in the SEL translates into a 20-goal season in the NHL over 82 games. Hope he gets a good long look up here.

I'm bored. Here are players who currently have fewer points than Chris Kunitz:

Kane
Tavares
Getzlaf
Zetterberg
Datsyuk
Elias
Giroux
Malkin
H. Sedin
D. Sedin
Thornton
Semin
Ovechkin

Stats are always weird after a lock-out, even more so during a shortened season. I'm more curious to see who can keep up their stat anomalies next season.

Alucard

Banned
YES. Jensen will be going straight to Chicago on Friday. Will now be available to be called up by the Canucks whenever they want.

Apparently his season in the SEL translates into a 20-goal season in the NHL over 82 games. Hope he gets a good long look up here.

Stats are always weird after a lock-out, even more so during a shortened season. I'm more curious to see who can keep up their stat anomalies next season.

No doubt. I just brought it up for shits and giggles.

Bollig assigned to Rockford to make room for Montador.

Fuck.

And fuck, Quick too? Wtf is with the mods nabbing everyone for small shit lately? Though lore said we were going to be a but more lenient. :/

Smiley90

Bollig assigned to Rockford to make room for Montador.

Fuck.

And fuck, Quick too? Wtf is with the mods nabbing everyone for small shit lately? Though lore said we were going to be a but more lenient. :/

More lenient, but thread whining (like the "stealth atheist thread" comment I suppose) gets you banned pretty much instantly :p

bremon

It will end up being whatever Gillis sees best though. If he can get more for Schneider at the trade deadline, then ship him. Either one would likely be in Vancouver until the core fades away, and at that point I'd rather see us blow it up than be like Calgary, spending half a decade trying to be "just good enough for 8th".

Man down:

Quick
Banned
(Today, 02:04 AM)

Not sure why. Guess the Stealth thread comment?
Probably, I try to watch those threads from a distance. I don't want to be perma'd this early in my posting career.

But in here, in our bubble, we are safe!! I hope....
Fr5oBnA.jpg

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
From the NY Rangers:

"Following an injury suffered in last night's game vs. Philadelphia, Marc Staal was examined today in New York by Dr. Mark Fromer, ophthalmologist, and Dr. Mendel Markowitz, maxillofacial surgeon. The injury has improved significantly and both doctors are optimistic that Marc will make a full recovery. Staal will be sidelined indefinitely."

Top Bottom