• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2013 |OT| Black History Forever

Merguson

Banned
From the NY Rangers:

"Following an injury suffered in last night's game vs. Philadelphia, Marc Staal was examined today in New York by Dr. Mark Fromer, ophthalmologist, and Dr. Mendel Markowitz, maxillofacial surgeon. The injury has improved significantly and both doctors are optimistic that Marc will make a full recovery. Staal will be sidelined indefinitely."

Good to hear.

If not now, when is the time to make a cup run? After the Sedins retire, we suck, get good picks and those players grow for a couple years?

It will end up being whatever Gillis sees best though. If he can get more for Schneider at the trade deadline, then ship him. Either one would likely be in Vancouver until the core fades away, and at that point I'd rather see us blow it up than be like Calgary, spending half a decade trying to be "just good enough for 8th".

That's the thing. If the Cup window closes when the Sedins are no longer the elite players that they are, then Gillis should've stacked the team to make a couple good playoff runs before that happened. But he didn't. He let Ehrhoff and Salo go via free agency. He traded Hodgson, the Canucks' best prospect, for a more unproven prospect (Kassian). He hasn't traded the farm, but he hasn't exactly blown the team up either.

So what's left is a team that's still good on paper, but they're not built for the future and are a couple injuries away from being an average team.

By choosing Schneider over Luongo in Game 3 against LA, Gillis went with the younger, cheaper option. It's good that he's looking ahead, but 5 years from now the team won't look that great. Counting on the Luongo trade to free up cap space and help restock the prospect pool is a tall order, which is why he hasn't been dealt yet.

The biggest problem with the Canucks, and as I've said before, is that they lack any sort of proper replacements for the Sedins, and in all honesty, they won't get a replacement for them unless they draft in the top 3. The Canucks are going to have to be ready to play a very different brand of hockey once they retire, but the good news is that they probably still have about 2-3 more seasons of elite hockey left, with maybe another 2 more years of good hockey.

Top six and top four talent we have and aren't that hard to replace and draft, elite talent is, and that's what we're lacking. Look at the Red Wings, they're finding out first hand how hard it is to replace guy like Lidstrom.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
That's the thing. If the Cup window closes when the Sedins are no longer the elite players that they are, then Gillis should've stacked the team to make a couple good playoff runs before that happened. But he didn't. He let Ehrhoff and Salo go via free agency. He traded Hodgson, the Canucks' best prospect, for a more unproven prospect (Kassian). He hasn't traded the farm, but he hasn't exactly blown the team up either.

So what's left is a team that's still good on paper, but they're not built for the future and are a couple injuries away from being an average team.

By choosing Schneider over Luongo in Game 3 against LA, Gillis went with the younger, cheaper option. It's good that he's looking ahead, but 5 years from now the team won't look that great. Counting on the Luongo trade to free up cap space and help restock the prospect pool is a tall order, which is why he hasn't been dealt yet.

So were' like a better version of Calgary? :(

Silexx

Exactly.

For example, what did this guy do?

The closest post that I could find that could be deemed as the offending post was this one because it could be classified as a "personal attack", but it would be the first time that I've seen someone banned for calling someone "dumb".

Well things could be worse, did I hear something about Stone?

Stone is in. Daugavins and O'Brien are out.

Montresor

Listening on the radio. Why is this guy fighting McLaren? How big is the Senators player who fought him?

The fight sounds really bad. =(

McLaren sounds like he destroyed him.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Listening on the radio. Why is this guy fighting McLaren? How big is the Senators player who fought him?

The fight sounds really bad. =(

McLaren sounds like he destroyed him.

It was a big boy fighting McLaren.

McLaren just got in a really good punch that knocked him out. He fell face first down into the ice.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Ouch. I tuned in just after the fight. 20 seconds into the game and already some guy was lying face down on the ice unconscious. Why were they even fighting that early in the game anyway?

Montresor

It was a big boy fighting McLaren.

McLaren just got in a really good punch that knocked him out. He fell face first down into the ice.

Well that makes it easier to celebrate that knockout, I guess. I hate to see people hurt in a fight.

McLaren is a monster... 6'5" and 250lbs.

Top Bottom