• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2014 |OT| The C on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Cu

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I swear to God I'm starting to really dislike this CBC commentator. He spends anytime he can get to shit on Subban.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
At this point in the season every point is crucial.

Leafs aren't at any point that we should be expecting them to be guaranteed a playoff spot yet. They need to make it in at least one more year before it is an expectation.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Are there rumors?

Hockey's Worst Contracts

#8. P.K. Subban, Montreal Canadiens: $2.875 million x 1 year

Wait, what?

Subban is the reigning Norris winner. He was selected for Team Canada. He’s only 24, and he’s already one of the most entertaining talents in the league. He is, to put it bluntly, awesome, and at less than $3 million a year, he’s an absolute steal.

So how can he possibly make this list? Because unlike everyone else we’ve mentioned, his contract is actually too small. Let me explain.

Heading into the 2012-13 season, Subban was a restricted free agent coming off a solid second NHL season. He wanted a long-term deal, but the Montreal front office didn’t want to make that sort of commitment. After a brief impasse,5 the Habs got their way. Subban signed an inexpensive two-year deal, after which Montreal would still hold his rights. The Canadiens won, and won big.

Or at least that’s what we all thought. (And by “we all,” I mean me.) There was a risk — by passing on the chance to lock down Subban, the Habs risked paying even more if he broke out before his next extension.

You know what happened next. Subban was named the league’s best defenseman that year, and — so far this season — has largely picked up where he left off. And with his contract up this summer, he’s about to get paid. Montreal probably could have signed him for something in the range of $5 million. Now it may end up paying him nearly twice that.

Nobody predicted that Subban would win the Norris, and obviously the Canadiens have to be thrilled he did. But they probably cost themselves a ton of money by “winning” that contract showdown in 2012.

They could certainly watch him walk.

Top Bottom