• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2014 |OT| The C on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Cu

calder

Calder wrote Swede.

Sweden also isn't landlocked, so you fucked up that joke real good.

And yeah I meant refrain, blah. You already elaborated on my excuse so I'm good.

Just to be sure I didn't have a memory lapse and ruin my own non-joke reference, you DO speak more than two languages right? I've always envied people who are fluently trilingual or more, probably because I can only barely get by in one language. Like how Leo Komorov speaks Swedish, Finnish, Russian, and English is fucking amazing to me.

Growing up in Switzerland would be awesome just for that, almost makes up for having to grow up pretending to think a team playing a full 1-4 trap isn't shameful. ;)

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Anaheim - 0
Calgary - 5

The Colorado Avalanche will make it to the western finals and perhaps the Stanley Cup finals.

But it'll most likely be the Ducks that win it all. Up against the Red Wings.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

R.I.P. Avalanche.

Just to be sure I didn't have a memory lapse and ruin my own non-joke reference, you DO speak more than two languages right? I've always envied people who are fluently trilingual or more, probably because I can only barely get by in one language. Like how Leo Komorov speaks Swedish, Finnish, Russian, and English is fucking amazing to me.

Growing up in Switzerland would be awesome just for that, almost makes up for having to grow up pretending to think a team playing a full 1-4 trap isn't shameful. ;)

IIRC, he speaks English, swiss-german, German. I think he has an irrational hate for French for some reason.

calder

.... please tell me nobody pronounces the s in Illinois.

Thanks to a joke my wife made about how Bob Cole pronounced "Detroit" during a game once we've pronounced Illinois "ill-nwah" and Detroit "dey-twah". I'm sure one day I'll say it out loud in front of other people by accident and get punched.

Thanks to a joke my wife made about how Bob Cole pronounced "Detroit" during a game once we've pronounced Illinois "ill-nwah" and Detroit "dey-twah". I'm sure one day I'll say it out loud in front of other people by accident and get punched.

...I THINK that's how my French teacher told me Detroit was pronounced. Could be wrong.

Sufjan_Stevens_-_Illinois.jpg

Acid08

Banned
Let's be honest though, these are the Flames we're talking about. Them giving up five goals with more than half the game to go isn't out of the question.

And that deal for tickets they just talked about on the Anaheim feed is crazy. Two tickets+food starting at $30. Why can't we get deals like that :mad:

It's a curse when people want to go to your games and drive up ticket prices.

lol bottom feeders like your team has been for the last decade? I love the high horse you Gaf Avs fans have found your way upon lately.

Except you assume I don't think we were bottom feeders or something? Yeah, it's great having a team that doesn't suck ass. I know it's been a long, long time for Calgary. Maybe one day.

calder

...I THINK that's how my French teacher told me Detroit was pronounced. Could be wrong.

I'm not sure honestly, in proper French it would probably be closer to "deh-twah" but the hard A is more fun to say. To be fair to National Treasure Robert Cole, he pronounces it "de-troy-it" which is actually more funny.

Holy shit Flames almost scored again lol.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

I speak 4 languages yeah. Though my French is kinda rusty.

I'm not sure honestly, in proper French it would probably be closer to "deh-twah" but the hard A is more fun to say. To be fair to National Treasure Robert Cole, he pronounces it "de-troy-it" which is actually more funny.

Holy shit Flames almost scored again lol.

Shit. You're right. I didn't see the "dey" part. Read it as "deh"

Edit: ha, I'm better at French than Smelly.

Except you assume I don't think we were bottom feeders or something? Yeah, it's great having a team that doesn't suck ass. I know it's been a long, long time for Calgary. Maybe one day.

I don't even think they are, it's about time it's come together for you guys honestly, all that talent was being wasted.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Shit. You're right. I didn't see the "dey" part. Read it as "deh"

Edit: ha, I'm better at French than Smelly.

Are you sure you're better at it? I said it's rusty, that doesn't mean it's terrible.

You probably are though. My pronounciation is fine though, thanks to being able to do the French "r" that a long of native English speakers struggle with

Yeah a bit exaggerated but they've been flat out awful to barely mediocre the last five years.

So you know exactly what you're dealing with, then? The difference between last five years and now is that Calgary is still fucking terrible and the Avs aren't. Does pointing that out mean I'm on a high horse? I really don't think so.

Are you sure you're better at it? I said it's rusty, that doesn't mean it's terrible.

You probably are though. My pronounciation is fine though, thanks to being able to do the French "r" that a long of native English speakers struggle with

Mine's still pretty good. And my teacher was from Tours, so we got the most "pure" accent from her, thankfully. I do hate the r, but I think it's easier than the Spanish r.

I had some kid from Quebec the other day telling me that their bastardized version of French was correct and the version spoken in France was incorrect.

Riiiight. :lol

Top Bottom