• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2014 |OT| The C on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Cu

I just realized the Leafs have lost 4 straight games and all those teams below them are only a point or two behind with one or two more games to play.

I thought Leafs fans were panicking because they're just Leafs fans.

How much for Gardiner?

No its just the goaltending bailed them out all last season, all this season and now suddenly their goalie isn't playing like a god so now they're upset?

League average goaltending is a .914 save percentage and 2.5 goals against. Reimer played well below that last night. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect at least league average goaltending from a starter night in, night out with no excuses. Find me one NHL team that doesn't expect that of their starter.

Sanjuro

So I wrecked my car last night, hit black ice and went into a guard rail, first accident I've been in. :(

At least you're alright.

Enjoy your new hobby, hounding the shit out of your insurance company. I had to learn that very early on in the game to not wait for them at all.

Samyy

League average goaltending is a .914 save percentage and 2.5 goals against. Reimer played well below that last night. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect at least league average goaltending from a starter night in, night out with no excuses. Find me one NHL team that doesn't expect that of their starter.

Find me an NHL team that gets that night-in and out and that can't win unless their starter plays above league average every game. Sure a goalie needs to bail a team out every once in a while, and Reimer hasn't done that in the last 2-3 games, however, good teams can win despite that - and the Leafs haven't gotten it done.

Whats going to happen to this team if Bernier regresses and suddenly his average save % drops to .915? We'd be bottom 10 team.

FOR FUN! Lets look at a couple of Berniers last few games, how about his last five games before he got injured!
He was below .915, significantly, in two of those games, three if you include the LA game where he let in two goals on the first what 5-8 shots?

At least you're alright.

Enjoy your new hobby, hounding the shit out of your insurance company. I had to learn that very early on in the game to not wait for them at all.

I have USAA and they're pretty awesome, hope I don't have to hound them. Yeah, though I was just happy to be alright I went into the guard rail pretty fast, though the air bags didn't deploy so I suppose it wasn't very hard. I would have been more upset if I was driving erratically or something, but since I was going to the speed limit I can just categorize it as "Shit happens."

zroid

Banned
So I wrecked my car last night, hit black ice and went into a guard rail, first accident I've been in. :(

Damn. :(

I had my first accident last summer. Got rear-ended while stopped at a traffic light not 500m from home.

Although I was in a much worse incident as a passenger about 12 years ago. Car got totaled, though no one was injured thankfully.

Find me an NHL team that gets that night-in and out and that can't win unless their starter plays above league average every game. Sure a goalie needs to bail a team out every once in a while, and Reimer hasn't done that in the last 2-3 games, however, good teams can win despite that - and the Leafs haven't gotten it done.

Whats going to happen to this team if Bernier regresses and suddenly his average save % drops to .915? We'd be bottom 10 team.

I said teams expect league average, not above it.

With league average we would have won last night. I don't feel like I'm trying to make an incredibly convoluted point here. If Reimer had put in an average performance last night, we would have won that game. You're going incredibly far out of your way to not acknowledge that.

FOR FUN! Lets look at a couple of Berniers last few games, how about his last five games before he got injured!
He was below .915, significantly, in two of those games, three if you include the LA game where he let in two goals on the first what 5-8 shots?

Bernier: 25-16-7
Reimer: 11-12-1

Samyy

I said teams expect league average, not above it.

With league average we would have won last night. I don't feel like I'm trying to make an incredibly convoluted point here. If Reimer had put in an average performance last night, we would have won that game. You're going incredibly far out of your way to not acknowledge that.

Bernier: 25-16-7
Reimer: 11-12-1

Reimer: 19-8-5 last season, better winning percentage than Bernier this year :p

Sanjuro

Looking at stats at this point in time is highly unproductive when it comes to a team desperately trying to stop bleeding goals.

Samy with a truth-bomb.

Fuck it, here's MIRTLE:

The Globe and Mail Thursday said:
The problem here is that Toronto’s goalies are overworked. Regression almost always happens when there’s a really high save percentage involved, and it is exceptionally unlikely that these two can maintain their current .929 number all season.

If the shots against aren’t cut down, what we’re going to see over the next few months is Reimer and Bernier being blamed for more and more losses, despite the fact the Leafs ballooning goals against was predictable.

What’s unknown is how far Toronto’s save percentage will shift the rest of the way. Both Reimer and Bernier have a career save percentage of .917, so that’s probably a fair starting point for estimating their talent level.

They’re two good young goalies, but even they aren’t going to be able to keep this up.

Samyy

. What were his stats like in the last ten minutes of game seven?

:lol
Ah man okay yea thats all on Reimer too, ain't got nothing to do with the rest of the team, which was the whole point of my original comment which you seem to be ignoring.
When your team has the FIFTH worst GA/G who are we blaming, Bernier? He's had a majority of the starts. Or maybe theres some kind of odd commonality there, between both Bernier and Reimer
(Hint: its the team and their shittastic defence)

Oh for fucks sake guys, he put up a .889 on 36 shots. He let in weak goals. These are facts. It's not like he put up a .910 on 50 shots and I'm blaming him. He played well below average.

In Tampa he put up a .883 on 30 shots. Come on. This is not NHL calibre goaltending. That's two games in a row he let slip through our fingers.

:lol
Ah man okay yea thats all on Reimer too, ain't got nothing to do with the rest of the team, which was the whole point of my original comment which you seem to be ignoring.

You might have had a point, but the team played well enough to win last night. The games against Tampa and Montreal were both lost by Reimer. I don't need to address that point because it's not relevant to the set of games we're discussing.

Looking at stats at this point in time is highly unproductive when it comes to a team desperately trying to stop bleeding goals.

Well that's the thing. The problem isn't the goalies, and it never has been. This team has gormless coach who likes to ostracize players and a dreadful defensive corps. How many breakaways has Franson been on the ice for?

Samyy

Oh for fucks sake guys, he put up a .889 on 36 shots. He let in weak goals. These are facts. It's not like he put up a .910 on 50 shots and I'm blaming him. He played well below average.

In Tampa he put up a .883 on 30 shots. Come on. This is not NHL calibre goaltending. That's two games in a row he let slip through our fingers.

You might have had a point, but the team played well enough to win last night. The games against Tampa and Montreal were both lost by Reimer. I don't need to address that point because it's not relevant to the set of games we're discussing.

Reimer posted 2 games with above .930 save percentage that resulted in losses, two games the Leafs let slip through their fingers!

Reimer posted 2 games with above .930 save percentage that resulted in losses, two games the Leafs let slip through their fingers!

I think what really bothers me about your line of reasoning is that you keep insisting that I'm somehow in favour of this. That's not the point I'm arguing, and frankly I'm tired of having your imaginary argument.

REIMER WAS TERRIBLE LAST NIGHT. THAT IS ALL.

Panthers to score on us in the first 2 minutes, like usual.

The mighty Dan Ellis steps in tonight.

Wait, I thought Dan Ellis was a Star after being a Hurricane? How the hell did he become a Panther?

William Karlsson is leaving for NHL (or atleast North America) straight after HV71s exit in the SHL playoff.

He is gonna be a valuable asset for you Ducks, for many years to come.

Very much looking forward to it. The Ducks Prospect community speak good of him.

Sanjuro

Well that's the thing. The problem isn't the goalies, and it never has been. This team has gormless coach who likes to ostracize players and a dreadful defensive corps. How many breakaways has Franson been on the ice for?

Problem is the goalies despite the coach.

I personally don't like Reimer, never have. He still has more experience unfortunately, and has looked good as of late.

Bernier is still a project, who also may not be healthy.

My opinion? You go with Reimer until he shits the bed and you ease back in Bernier.

Merguson

Banned
What the hell are you guys even arguing about anymore?

Both goalies have the same players playing in front of them. Bernier's doing a better job at it. That's all.

Problem is the goalies despite the coach.

I personally don't like Reimer, never have. He still has more experience unfortunately, and has looked good as of late.

Bernier is still a project, who also may not be healthy.

My opinion? You go with Reimer until he shits the bed and you ease back in Bernier.

Oh that ship sailed long ago.

Sanjuro

Oh that ship sailed long ago.

From the look of the ongoing losing streak, they all are against competitive teams involved in the second season picture with all the losses being dealt by 1-2 goals.

The fact right now is Toronto doesn't have the best of schedules moving forward. Those cogs aren't going to magically kick in now.

From the look of the ongoing losing streak, they all are against competitive teams involved in the second season picture with all the losses being dealt by 1-2 goals.

The fact right now is Toronto doesn't have the best of schedules moving forward. Those cogs aren't going to magically kick in now.

The issue is that most of those games Toronto is in a hole after the first period. Never fun when you have to start the game from behind.

Samyy

Goaltending discussions will never not be boring.

Let's talk about how amazing Rielly and Gardiner were last night. Even if the Leafs crash and burn this season, those two are just going to keep getting better.

Nonis pleaspleasepleasepleasepleaseplease don't do something stupid

Merguson

Banned
Carlyle is probably going to play Clarkson a lot today for obvious reasons... sigh

This is Clarkson's worst year ever since he entered the NHL. I'll give him a chance. But I don't see it under Carlyle though. He's playing a different role compared to his time in New Jersey.

Sanjuro

The issue is that most of those games Toronto is in a hole after the first period. Never fun when you have to start the game from behind.

Sure. I just don't think throwing Bernier out there when he isn't 100% is going to make any difference.

I'd look at this season as a wash before rushing out a guy who you still have under your control next season.

Sure. I just don't think throwing Bernier out there when he isn't 100% is going to make any difference.

I'd look at this season as a wash before rushing out a guy who you still have under your control next season.

Reimer's not 100% either. His game is gone. I'd throw MacIntyre out there tonight. What the hell do we have to lose?

I don't mean to cause any alarm bells... But has anyone else been getting free NHL Gamecenter on Xbox?

I don't have a subscription... Why can I watch live games for free?

Samyy

Reimer's not 100% either. His game is gone. I'd throw MacIntyre out there tonight. What the hell do we have to lose?

Well he's played portions of four NHL games, and we still have 50% chance to make the playoffs. Do you take that risk?

AX7jmwO.png

April :(

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I don't mean to cause any alarm bells... But has anyone else been getting free NHL Gamecenter on Xbox?

I think people have mentioned early during the season that they had it for free then. So it might've just never gotten fixed.

Well he's played portions of four NHL games, and we still have 50% chance to make the playoffs. Do you take that risk?

I'd say there's a better than 50% chance Reimer goes out there and has another sub-.900 game.

Probably a moot point. If Carlyle had any intention of playing MacIntyre we would have seen him by now.

I dunno...This team is gonna give me a bloody heart attack one day.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

Did you pay for it last year? I used a disposable credit card to buy a subscription last year, and they renewed it for me this year for whatever reason. I've been using to watch most games since I can watch on my tv rather then my laptop with Hockeystreams.

Samyy

I'd say there's a better than 50% chance Reimer goes out there and has another sub-.900 game.

Probably a moot point. If Carlyle had any intention of playing MacIntyre we would have seen him by now.

I dunno...This team is gonna give me a bloody heart attack one day.
I attribute my 4 grey hairs to the Leafs :p

Samyy

Reimer starting
April better deactivate her twitter for tonight :(

Despicable stuff. Idiots hiding behind anonymity can be the worst.

I'm hoping at least some of them weren't smart enough to use an account without their real name/photo
Employers pls

Sanjuro

AX7jmwO.png

April :(

MacIntyre isn't a project any longer. He is a career AHL guy, who seemingly has been around forever. If you're worried about the health of your current goaltenders, then seems like a good fit.

Reimer is still young, but he is kind of past the coddling stage. That's why I suggested putting him out first. Also his contract is toast.

Top Bottom