• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2014 |OT| The C on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Cu

Sanjuro

It's just silly at this point, I've been calling it out all year.

I get that Budaj normally has the hot hand against us, but it basically sends the message to the entire team and fanbase that the Habs are failures.

Mr.Green

:lol burn that Halak jersey already.

2010-canadiens-capitals-halak-ovech.jpg

Never!

I wouldn't call it a failure for the Habs but the optics are bad. Saving your top goalie for the worst team in the league while throwing the backup to the hottest team? That'll get your team ready for the playoffs.

The stats don't lie but you'd think the Leafs would be doing better with the team they have on paper. Good mix of youth and established players, decent depth, mostly healthy roster. The lack of structure and team play falls on the coaching. The fact that Carlyle has had all year to fix it and hasn't is a good reason to fire him.

Can't really fault the goalies for the team's struggles.

Sanjuro

I wouldn't call it a failure for the Habs but the optics are bad. Saving your top goalie for the worst team in the league while throwing the backup to the hottest team? That'll get your team ready for the playoffs.

The stats don't lie but you'd think the Leafs would be doing better with the team they have on paper. Good mix of youth and established players, decent depth, mostly healthy roster. The lack of structure and team play falls on the coaching. The fact that Carlyle has had all year to fix it and hasn't is a good reason to fire him.

Can't really fault the goalies for the team's struggles.

It's a failure considering the the elements.

Rask has started all eight of the meetings between the two teams in the last couple seasons. Budaj has started five. That is very telling.

If the matchup was Phoenix vs Carolina, maybe then it would be different. Fans want to see the best matchup, realistically the players and coaches do as well.

Fuck... I come home from my game to see the Wings lost 4-3 in OT after giving up 2 in the 3rd (shocking no one, I know), but Tatar Sauce scored and we got a point, so meh. On the plus side, my team lost 4-1, but while shaking hands with the other team one of their guys told me he enjoyed my "awesome moves out there". Too bad I didn't score on any of them :(

We blow every 2 goal lead we get (seriously, that is no exaggeration). So it shouldn't be surprising.

How long have you been playing?

The assistant GM of the Leafs is on Leafs Lunch right now.

Just said that Clarkson is a playoff performing guy.

14 points in 42 playoff games.

Pls

It's hard to stomach, but damage control is basically all these guys can do at this point. And Clarkson isn't even the worst thing - they spent the better part of 6 months telling the fan base that a 3C who played a handful of games as Leaf was a 'big hole' in the roster and one of the main reasons for the team's struggles.

Samyy

Bozak and Bollands comments about Reimer :`)
Lock em up! Longer term!

It's hard to stomach, but damage control is basically all these guys can do at this point. And Clarkson isn't even the worst thing - they spent the better part of 6 months telling the fan base that a 3C who played a handful of games as Leaf was a 'big hole' in the roster and one of the main reasons for the team's struggles.

Honestly I think it works, from what I've seen there is barely any blame put on the teams defence, both by the media and the fans in general.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Probably going to have to watch the game later, not expecting much with Budaj in net. Wouldn't surprise me if Price is still dealing with his injury, he hasn't been as quick these past few games.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Bozak and Bollands comments about Reimer :`)
Lock em up! Longer term!

Honestly I think it works, from what I've seen there is barely any blame put on the teams defence, both by the media and the fans in general.
I do think the defence needs work but the defenders of Reimer should admit some of those were soft goals.

And I put some on the team, but a lot more on Carlyle. This passive style allowing shots to get through might work if they didn't also let them get GOOD shots a lot of times.

Also didn't help when we blew that 5 on 3 PP.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
According to Brooks, looks like Stepan and St. Louis are both expected to play tonight despite sitting out this morning with the flu. No emergency callup for JT Miller.

I guess if one of them really can't go at the last minute they'll have Haggerty debut.

yyzjohn

Banned
I do think the defence needs work but the defenders of Reimer should admit some of those were soft goals.

And I put some on the team, but a lot more on Carlyle. This passive style allowing shots to get through might work if they didn't also let them get GOOD shots a lot of times.

Also didn't help when we blew that 5 on 3 PP.

That 5 on 3 is totally on Carlyle. Leafs PP has looked pretty good with Gardiner and Rielly providing some creative plays, you have two extra men so having 2 point guys like that could really accomplish something, instead he trots out Phaneuf and Franson.

iLLmAtlc

Wow 6 year deal for Faulk at 4.9. Could Carolina afford to keep spending like this while missing the playoffs every year? They got some big contracts on the books and very little to show for it.

Razorskin

----- ------
Wow 6 year deal for Faulk at 4.9. Could Carolina afford to keep spending like this while missing the playoffs every year? They got some big contracts on the books and very little to show for it.

Not sure what that team is aiming for really. They should move Ward imo.

Also to note that their GM is probably gone after this season. http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/03...ord-expected-to-give.html?sp=/99/103/400/120/

Plus Muller's contract is up, will be interesting to see what happens.

Truth. Carlyle has a system in place. Seemingly the same one that saw Anaheim produce dreadful S/A numbers.

My issue was with the unapologetic scapegoating of one player and the concomitant hand-waving away of the suggestion that these are team losses and that have been a long time coming. Reimer hasn't been good but to paraphrase Jim Ralph - when the Leafs goalies look average, this team makes them look terrible.

edit: I saw some talk on Twitter that indicated the Canes are making almost everyone available in the off season. It'll be interesting to see what happens with their big contracts: Semin, E. Staal, J. Staall and Skinner.

Truth. Carlyle has a system in place. Seemingly the same one that saw Anaheim produce dreadful S/A numbers.

My issue was with the unapologetic scapegoating of one player and the concomitant hand-waving away of the suggestion that these are team losses and that have been a long time coming. Reimer hasn't been good but to paraphrase Jim Ralph - when the Leafs goalies look average, this team makes them look terrible.

edit: I saw some talk on Twitter that indicated the Canes are making almost everyone available in the off season. It'll be interesting to see what happens with their big contracts: Semin, E. Staal, J. Staall and Skinner.

Rielly+Kadri+1st for E.Staal

Red_Man

Friedman talks a lot about Carolina today in his 30 thoughts article, mentions that they've looked at trading Skinner before, and mentions the possibility of Eric being traded as well.

Plus Muller's contract is up, will be interesting to see what happens.
I'd be surprised if he's resigned, he hasn't accomplished much there. I'd love to see him back here in some capacity, but he's not going to be an assistant coach after being a HC.

Red_Man

Rielly+Kadri+1st for E.Staal
Gaming_Noob approved.

Edit: Clarkson on the 2nd line? :lol Friedman said today in 30 thoughts that he expects the Leafs to move an offensive player for a more defensive forward, I'm guessing that means Lupul or Kadri.

Merguson

Banned
JVR-Staal-Kessel
Clarkson-Bozak-Lupul
FA-FA-FA
Orr-FA-FA

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gardiner-Gleason
FA-Franson

Bernier
FA

Meh

Free agents, free agents everywhere.

JVR-Staal-Kessel
Clarkson-Bozak-Lupul
D'Amigo-Holland-Leivo
Orr-McKegg-Ashton

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gardiner-Gleason
Granberg-Franson

Bernier
MacIntyre

WHO NEEDS FREE AGENTS

gaming_noob

Gaming_Noob approved.

Edit: Clarkson on the 2nd line? :lol Friedman said today in 30 thoughts that he expects the Leafs to move an offensive player for a more defensive forward, I'm guessing that means Lupul or Kadri.

Hell yes I would approve.

I got banned for 2 weeks for trolling and was just unbanned a few hours ago. Gaming forum trolling...never again!

Gaming_Noob approved.

Claude Loiselle said that Clarkson is a playoff performer lol. Keep pumping those tires.

Also making a move for a defensive forward could spell the end of Carlyle

yessss

Merguson

Banned
Claude Loiselle said that Clarkson is a playoff performer lol. Keep pumping those tires.

Also making a move for a defensive forward could spell the end of Carlyle

yessss

Hope_Smoke @Hope_Smoke
McKenzie on TSN Radio "if Leafs miss the playoffs one of two things will happen, replacing the coach or trading guys like Kadri/Gardiner"

SO.... which will happen.. dunnn.. dunnn

Top Bottom