• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2014 |OT| The C on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Cu

Samyy

Huh interesing
Well I'm assuming they we're sitting on some cash or something because imo thats a fairly risky investment considering lack of any synergies that I can think of anyway.

Anyway all hail Sony & Morpheus?

Sanjuro

I never understood the desire for the device to be honest. Still, no clue what Facebook would do with it other than lose interest.

Huh interesing
Well I'm assuming they we're sitting on some cash or something because imo thats a fairly risky investment considering lack of any synergies that I can think of anyway.

Anyway all hail Sony & Morpheus?

...you're going to assume Facebook was sitting on some cash?

Samyy

I never understood the desire for the device to be honest. Still, no clue what Facebook would do with it other than lose interest.

...you're going to assume Facebook was sitting on some cash?

Two billion is a lot to give up without having a marketable product that can generate revenues now and I'm not familiar with Facebook so yea I made that assumption. If they financed this thing with debt then...lol, not quite what they needed to do then.

I mean they could have been sitting on some cash from their recent IPO right....

Sanjuro

Two billion is a lot to give up without having a marketable product that can generate revenues now and I'm not familiar with Facebook so yea I made that assumption. If they financed this thing with debt then...lol, not quite what they needed to do then.

I mean they could have been sitting on some cash from their recent IPO right....

It still seems less risky than some other company endeavors as of late. Without looking it up, wasn't it Microsoft which spent something crazy to get Motorola and do nothing with them?

I'm just shocked at the reactions from people. Had no idea the interest was that strong for the device.

Not too concerned about VR until it is consumer ready.

Still reeks of gimmick, but I also lived through the 90s.

I have the original devkit model, it's far from a gimmick. I was going to try to get my hands on the newest devkit because it fixes the two biggest issues with the original, higher res screen and positional tracking.

2 reasons why they would drop this much on it:

1. Tech inside Rift seems like it would lead to better integration with the future (wearable computing). Watches and glasses are next. If FB wants be in prime position to jump start the evolution or sit back and wait untill there is support and "ride the wave", then this helps them.

2. They are squatting on the tech hoping to flip it once it becomes popular.

IMO, it seems more like #1 and FB trying to move into a tech domain like Google has done off of a search engine.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I wasn't too enthusiastic about it as it only helps first person games, but I hate when huge corporations buy up these startups.

Sanjuro

I have the original devkit model, it's far from a gimmick. I was going to try to get my hands on the newest devkit because it fixes the two biggest issues with the original, higher res screen and positional tracking.

I'm sure it's implemented much better, but it's still not something the mass audience is going to want. To implement VR stuff with any sort of impact, they are going to have to deliver it to us in a manner not unlike the Kinect I would imagine. That's where I put it in the gimmick category.

Samyy

It still seems less risky than some other company endeavors as of late. Without looking it up, wasn't it Microsoft which spent something crazy to get Motorola and do nothing with them?

I'm just shocked at the reactions from people. Had no idea the interest was that strong for the device.

This is fairly risky, obviously you know that the device works but I wonder how much money they'll have to pump into things like:

- Continued R&D
- Distribution channels & production
- Marketing
- Materials

Should it reach that point in time.

Unrelated diversification from a company with no experience with diversification is risky as hell just in my opinion.

Also consider that Oculus may have had multiple suitors, so I wonder what premium they paid to acquire it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

I remember this:

Sega-VR1.jpg

Also, Google bought Motorola essentially for patents. MS bought a huge chunk of Nokia, which is still waiting to go through.

Sanjuro

This is fairly risky, obviously you know that the device works but I wonder how much money they'll have to pump into things like:

- Continued R&D
- Distribution channels & production
- Marketing
- Materials

Should it reach that point in time.

Unrelated diversification from a company with no experience with diversification is risky as hell just in my opinion.

Also consider that Oculus may have had multiple suitors, so I wonder what premium they paid to acquire it.

No doubt. They have the capital to further those things and I'm sure they have the balls to cut funding and slow down the project if needed.

If I had to guess, sounds like a case where Oculus needed the money at this point in the venture and other companies were still kicking the tires awaiting a better insertion point.

I'm sure it's implemented much better, but it's still not something the mass audience is going to want. To implement VR stuff with any sort of impact, they are going to have to deliver it to us in a manner not unlike the Kinect I would imagine. That's where I put it in the gimmick category.

Eh it doesn't even need to be on a consumer level to be a success. Applications of a VR system of Rift's capacity would be huge for things like medical training, industrial operation, even training for military equipment.

Cake Boss

Banned
After games, we're going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences. Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face -- just by putting on goggles in your home.

Coool!!!

Man I cant wait to see Philips pointing to things on the ice while out of position from the coach's POV.

Acid08

Banned
I don't think it's fair to say just yet that a mass audience wouldn't have interest in VR. As it is now, sure, but this tech is still new and has time to grow. Sony could be in a good position to at least show the potential of the tech to PS4 owners.

I'm definitely expecting VR to be bigger for these consoles than 3D was.

Sanjuro

Eh it doesn't even need to be on a consumer level to be a success. Applications of a VR system of Rift's capacity would be huge for things like medical training, industrial operation, even training for military equipment.

That's true. From Sony's end though, they would need that consumer level I would imagine, unless they can eek into some of those fields in some other manner while maintaining a profit.

Sanjuro

I don't think it's fair to say just yet that a mass audience wouldn't have interest in VR. As it is now, sure, but this tech is still new and has time to grow. Sony could be in a good position to at least show the potential of the tech to PS4 owners.

I'm definitely expecting VR to be bigger for these consoles than 3D was.

I think it's very safe to say.

I agree it would be possibly more engaging than 3D, but we are talking about attracting about 60% or so of the HDTV customer base or something close to that. It's just not going to happen.

The adoption rates would make or break the thing very early on.

gaming_noob

Incorporating VR into real time sports could be all kinds of amazing.

I would pay a subscription to watch the game on ice level using VR.
Facebook buying OR is not a bad thing if they could expand the market. People on the gaming side is so narrow minded...

That's true. From Sony's end though, they would need that consumer level I would imagine, unless they can eek into some of those fields in some other manner while maintaining a profit.
Morpheus will not be as complicated as Rift so I don't think it will be that expensive. It will use thier camera for the main tracking so I think it will be a much cheaper option. As far as them expanding it, part of Kaz's first statement was a plan on getting in on medical equipment.

I can already envision VR sporting pricing costing more the closer the viewpoint is to the ice lol.

I would pay a subscription to watch the game on ice level using VR.
Facebook buying OR is not a bad thing if they could expand the market. People on the gaming side is so narrow minded...

It's not that I have a problem with Facebook owning it because they have that name, it's because they don't have any idea what they're doing when the bottom starts to fall out. I don't want the fate of the Rift in hands like that but oh fucking well right.

Razorskin

----- ------
I'll watch a Hockey game using VR only if I'm in the nosebleeds with McGuire sitting next to me with his hand on my lap in silence.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Chris Kreider is out at least a month with a hand injury.

WELP. Be seeing you guys in the offseason thread as soon as the Flyers get done pounding our asses in the first round.

EDIT: Or maybe not? Source tweet (from McKenzie) has been deleted...

calder

Man that's a rough game for Bernier to come back to. I wouldn't want him back against the Blues, hitchcock teams do not let up when/if they are up by a couple if goals.

But I need the leafs to make the playoffs or else Carlyle gets fired and then ohgodkillmenow a significant section of the Jets fanbase starts looking at him as a new coach. :-(

I don't know, VR to me seems more like a gimmick like 3D and motion controls, not really a fan of the 3D and motion controls and I really don't feel like wearing something all the way around my face while I play games for VR (I already hate giant headphones for my PC). Yeah its cool in concept and I'm sure there are sweet ideas out there (like Mirror's Edge), but it just isn't for me.

Go Wings, need at least a point today. A regulation win would be nice but Columbus pretty much owns us these days so a loss is more likely. If they are going to lose, at least get a point to stay ahead of them in the standings.

calder

"Otter" is way too good of a nick name for a bag of shit like Ott.

Yep. Shame we can't do polls, or I'd suggest the April thread start a new poll so we could determine who the biggest piece of shit is in the league right now. New favourite Neal? Ott? Doan? Carcillo? Marchand?

Top Bottom