• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2014 |OT| The C on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Cu

Ok, that's fair.

And honestly, offloading Luongo's awful contract - and only eating 800k of it - is a pretty good move all by itself. Markstrom might even end up making good on his <ahem> potential.

Canucks-GAF should just send Garrison back. You guys are not using the G52 correctly.

Canucks got Matthias, who was acquired by trading Bertuzzi, who was acquired for Loungo. The circle is complete.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Sad to see Luongo go, but I'd be lying if I said that I'm not happy for him. The city, and team threw him under a bus and didn't deserve him.

Bh8LRzVCEAA8VjB.jpg:large

Watcha doin tonight?

Dragon

Banned
Ok, that's fair.

And honestly, offloading Luongo's awful contract - and only eating 800k of it - is a pretty good move all by itself. Markstrom might even end up making good on his <ahem> potential.

Yeah not so simple though with the cap recapture penalty. If Luongo retires before 2022 they're gonna have to pay up the ass.

Yeah not so simple though with the cap recapture penalty. If Luongo retires before 2022 they're gonna have to pay up the ass.

That 800k though was probably tossed in to make sure that never happens. Florida could just dump him in the ECHL for the last 3 years of his contract; the 200-400k cap hit (against a 90+ million limit) is something even that disaster of a franchise could handle.

ZeroGravity

I don't feel that MSL will be moved by tomorrow. Smells like an off season move to me.
Yeah, there's really no reason or urgency for Yzerman to trade him now. We're not going to get anything in return that's going to help the team make the playoffs.

Marty's not going to quit on the ice, but his head clearly isn't into leading this team.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
The Lulongo trade strongly suggests Kesler will be traded tomorrow imo

Gillis said he's listening to a lot of teams asking about a lot of players.

I'm fairly confident this won't have been the last trade the Canucks made. We'll see if it's Kesler or not.

Zeppeli

Banned
The Lulongo trade strongly suggests Kesler will be traded tomorrow imo

Yep, getting the distraction out of the way. Doubt we see a Kesler trade before the very last moment to the deadline, though. Price is gonna be sky high at that point thanks to bidding wars.

lupin23rd

Gillis said he's listening to a lot of teams asking about a lot of players.

I'm fairly confident this won't have been the last trade the Canucks made. We'll see if it's Kesler or not.

Yup, unless none of the rumors were even close to legit discussions Kesler is moved tomorrow.

Elder is a maybe, beyond that - not sure? I'd love to start stocking up on some 1sts but not sure who else we could trade outside of those two that would fetch them.

ZeroGravity

I can see Pittsburgh being desperate enough to pay the price for Kesler. I don't think there's any team in the league that's under more pressure to win a Cup than them.

Smiley90

Yup, unless none of the rumors were even close to legit discussions Kesler is moved tomorrow.

Elder is a maybe, beyond that - not sure? I'd love to start stocking up on some 1sts but not sure who else we could trade outside of those two that would fetch them.

In terms of returns? Hamhuis would fetch a LOT. But Gillis probably also asking for a ton. Booth/Burrows I want gone but they're essentially worthless at this point. Rather keep Burrows, hope he plays better next season and trade him then. Buy out Booth.

Who else? Higgins has value, but I want to keep him. Bieksa and Garrison have some value, though I'm not sure how much.

No way we're trading Tanev or the Sedins.

Nobody else has value.

I can see Pittsburgh being desperate enough to pay the price for Kesler. I don't think there's any team in the league that's under more pressure to win a Cup than them.

Holmgren vs Shero. Whoever loses, we win.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
What about Bieksa, Hamhuis, Edler and Garrison?

All but Edler would fetch good returns for Vancouver.
I could see Edler going to a contender, but the others I don't see moving unless a team blew Gillis away with an obvious fleecing. The other 3 guys are more like off season moves at the draft, they can't completely gut their D group right now.

Buy out Booth.

Buyout Burrows. He has a terrible contract and is 3 years older than Booth.

I could see Edler going to a contender, but the others I don't see moving unless a team blew Gillis away with an obvious fleecing. The other 3 guys are more like off season moves at the draft, they can't completely gut their D group right now.

This would never happen, but I would really like to see Hamhuis for Gardiner + 2014 1st Pick.

Smiley90

We can definitely trade ONE of those guys right now. Maybe two, but then we have to rely on nobody getting injured. Agreed though, rest seem more of offseason moves.

Also, Matthias on the trade:

"I’m pumped, I’m so excited,” said Matthias, a native of Mississauga, Ont. “I told my agent a while ago that I’d love to go to a Canadian city. I saw the rumblings and the rumours to Van for a while and I was always hoping it would happen. When I got the news today, I couldn’t stop smiling. I’m a Canadian kid and you want to play in a Canadian market. It’s going to be special and I think my game is going to elevate.

“I was hoping for a change for a while,” he continued. “Last year at the deadline, I was hoping for a change. It’s been a frustrating season here (in Florida) but I think I’ve played well. I’m excited to come to Vancouver and get started and show that I can be the player I know I can be. Vancouver is a first-class organization and I want to step right in and help the team and be accountable and reliable. I want to show my teammates right off the bat that I want to be here."

Thanks Red, I'll be going to sleep with a full wood tonight. Hopefully when I wake up he's gone.

Btw, doesn't Woody Harrelson say something about not mowing another man's lawn in kingpin as well?

Yeah, I was about to point out Harrelson's role in Kingpin and give all you True Detectives a hardon.

Can't go wrong with Kingpin.

Red_Man

This would never happen, but I would really like to see Hamhuis for Gardiner + 2014 1st Pick.
Really? He's 31, that's a big price tag for a guy getting up there.

We can definitely trade ONE of those guys right now. Maybe two, but then we have to rely on nobody getting injured. Agreed though, rest seem more of offseason moves.
One of who? One of : Bieksa, Hamhuis, Edler and Garrison or two of them including Edler? Gillis can't just go and offload all his vets and supposed core players, that sends a terrible message to the team, not that that message hasn't already been sent. None of those guys are on expiring contracts though, so it makes more sense to wait until the draft when teams have a better grasp of their teams and their needs. Use them as trade bait for picks at the draft.

Smiley90

Really? He's 31, that's a big price tag for a guy getting up there.

One of who? One of : Bieksa, Hamhuis, Edler and Garrison or two of them including Edler? Gillis can't just go and offload all his vets and supposed core players, that sends a terrible message to the team, not that that message hasn't already been sent. None of those guys are on expiring contracts though, so it makes more sense to wait until the draft when teams have a better grasp of their teams and their needs. Use them as trade bait for picks at the draft.

One of Bieksa/Hamhuis/Edler/Garrison. MAYBE two of them if someone really overpays. And the message has pretty much been sent with the Luongo trade and the Kesler trade rumours/Kesler trade if it happens. Plus we've lost 10 of the last 11 games, how much worse can we really get.

I say blow it all up.

But yeah, if we don't get the return we want, just keep them until the draft/the offseason.

B

Hamhuis is more valuable than that.

Red_Man

I see. I think Edler moving is pretty likely, Edler + another would be surprising. If they're really committed to a rebuild the Sedins should be moved as well at some point, but I have no idea how that kind of trade would go down.

Smiley90

I see. I think Edler moving is pretty likely, Edler + another would be surprising. If they're really committed to a rebuild the Sedins should be moved as well at some point, but I have no idea how that kind of trade would go down.

Not happening. They're a package deal and nobody is taking on an aging 14 million dollars. Not to mention that they have NTC's and are THE cornerstone of this franchise and the city. They'll retire here. They're not Traitordins

Marvie_3

Banned

Sedins would work well on a cash strapped team since women only make about 70 cents on the dollar compared to men.

iLLmAtlc

Burrows has an awful contract at his current 5 point pace but I don't think that is sustainable and he's had to deal with multiple injuries this year. If he can get back to his usual 50pt or even 45pt production 4.5 is pretty fair for all the things he does on the team.

Red_Man

Not happening. They're a package deal and nobody is taking on an aging 14 million dollars. Not to mention that they have NTC's and are THE cornerstone of this franchise and the city. They'll retire here. They're not Traitordins
People said the same thing about Alfredsson. Just sayin'. I don't expect it anytime soon, but if the Canucks are serious about a proper rebuild then they would make them available.

Smiley90

People said the same thing about Alfredsson. Just sayin'. I don't expect it anytime soon, but if the Canucks are serious about a proper rebuild then they would make them available.

Alfredsson didn't get traded though. He signed in Detroit. The Sedins would need to waive their NTC's AND they're two players, not just one. It's not happening.

Socreges

Banned
Burrows has an awful contract at his current 5 point pace but I don't think that is sustainable and he's had to deal with multiple injuries this year. If he can get back to his usual 50pt or even 45pt production 4.5 is pretty fair for all the things he does on the team.
lol

Burrows and the Sedins got 'thank you' contracts (jokes?). They won't be earning their millions. And pretty soon it'll be obvious to everyone that they're untradable.

Top Bottom