• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2014 |OT| The C on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Cu

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Alfredsson didn't get traded though. He signed in Detroit. The Sedins would need to waive their NTC's AND they're two players, not just one. It's not happening.
The point is players can move on regardless of their history in a city or with a specific team. There's plenty of examples of players with just as much ties to their city as they have who moved. Look at how Calgary fucked up by holding onto Iginla for too long and got a squat return for him compared to what they could have gotten.

iLLmAtlc

lol

Burrows and the Sedins got 'thank you' contracts (jokes?). They won't be earning their millions. And pretty soon it'll be obvious to everyone that they're untradable.

I don't think Sedins and Burrows are guys to mail it in tbh. Burrows is an ECHL guy and AV has praised his work ethic in the past. His most productive years were when he was getting vastly underpaid at 2 million. That doesn't seem like a guy to just kickback after signing the contract tbh.

If anything we have to think about whether Torts played the wheels off of the Sedins because the pattern of production would support that theory too.

Edler's value might be nil right now. It's probably better to hold on to him for another year and hope that he improves.

Hamhuis on the other hand, old as he is, has the *amazing* contract and the rep you'd need to pull in good returns.

lol

Burrows and the Sedins got 'thank you' contracts (jokes?). They won't be earning their millions. And pretty soon it'll be obvious to everyone that they're untradable.

I have never seen Sorcegres so... so... Bohemian.

iLLmAtlc

Edler's value might be nil right now. It's probably better to hold on to him for another year and hope that he improves.

Hamhuis on the other hand, old as he is, has the *amazing* contract and the rep you'd need to pull in good returns.

Well if the TSN insiders are to be believed Edler is still pretty highly regarded around the league. I forget which source said this (I think it was insider trading) but someone said something like the asking price for Kesler being pretty reasonable tells me they want to move him but the price for Edler being so ridiculous tells me they don't want to.

From what I've read, sounds like Edler isn't going anywhere, and Anaheim and Pittsburgh are the last two contenders for Kesler.

Not sure if Socreges was joking or not, but I agree that Burrows and the Sedins' contracts were a bit of a "thank you" for being vastly underpaid the last few years. I don't think they're mailing it in, but it's a combination of bad luck, injuries, and age. Yes they were one of the best lines in the NHL at one point, but so was Naslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi.

Speaking of the WCE, the Canucks did manage to re-tool fairly soon after they faded so hopefully we'll see a similar short turnaround as opposed to the post-94 years.

Canuck's assets going forward for their rebuild/retool:

Potentially ready next season
Horvat
Grenier
Jensen
Markstrom
Lain
Archibald

1 year away
Shinkaruk
Gaunce
Corrado
Tommernes
Andersson
Hutton
Fox
Eriksson

2+ away

McNally
Cassels
Subban
LaBate
McEneny

Canucks should have 3 top-nine forwards ready to make the jump next season, and more reinforcements coming the year after. Depending on the Kesler trade, Canucks might be in a even better position to get back into the game.

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen
Burrows-Young 2C-Kassian
Higgins-Horvat-Hansen
Archibald-Matthias-Lain/Sestito

Might be a reaaaally really different looking, but interesting roster.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Are you just going by young players or not-current players? Because Tanev, Schroeder and Kassian are also gonna be part of the rebuild (if Schroeder gets resigned, but since we suck he should be kept)

Prospects Tanev, Kassian, Stanton, Schroeder, Dalpe and Lack I already consider full-time NHLers. I don't really see Schroeder as part of the future though. Maybe Dalpe.

Red_Man

Canuck's assets going forward for their rebuild/retool:

Canucks should have 3 top-nine forwards ready to make the jump next season, and more reinforcements coming the year after. Depending on the Kesler trade, Canucks might be in a even better position to get back into the game.
It's pretty rare to see a team that isn't a complete tire fire bring in 3 rookies at once, especially if they're going to be playing C, and combined with the fact you have Torts who's an asshole with kids. Not sure if he gets the inevitable boot with Gillis or not.

It's pretty rare to see a team that isn't a complete tire fire bring in 3 rookies at once, especially if they're going to be playing C, and combined with the fact you have Torts who's an asshole with kids. Not sure if he gets the inevitable boot with Gillis or not.
Honesty, Torts needs to be fired if we're going into a reboot. He's not the kind of guy you want behind the bench for that. It's a shame Travis green is still so new at professional coaching. I really like what he's doing to Utica right now, but he's in no shape ready to come up to the NHL yet. Not sure who else might be a good guy to bring in. But I definitely want Torts out.

Also, I doubt we'd bring in three. Horvat makes sense because he's got nothing left to learn in the OHL and he's too young for the AHL. Jensen's been on fire lately and it looks like his slow start might've been injury related than anything else. Grenier's been Utica's best forward, but I think he'll be sent down to up his offense even more next season.

You guys brought in two rookies last season and that seemed to work great. It's just more a matter of making sure there's enough vets around to support them.

Smiley90

Supposed to be gone with Gillis by the summer. If one goes, the other one most likely goes too.

Also, I'd consider 1 win in 11 games a pretty badass tire fire.

Socreges

Banned
I don't think Sedins and Burrows are guys to mail it in tbh. Burrows is an ECHL guy and AV has praised his work ethic in the past. His most productive years were when he was getting vastly underpaid at 2 million. That doesn't seem like a guy to just kickback after signing the contract tbh.

If anything we have to think about whether Torts played the wheels off of the Sedins because the pattern of production would support that theory too.
I don't think they're mailing it in. They've just aged and can't justify their contracts.

Tortorella has something to do with the anemic offense for sure. Thus... he might be the perfect coach to oversee a tank.

I have never seen Sorcegres so... so... Bohemian.
Bohemia no longer exists. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Red_Man

You guys brought in two rookies last season and that seemed to work great. It's just more a matter of making sure there's enough vets around to support them.
True, but they were incredibly sheltered in a shortened season, and A.Gally still isn't playing center. It's a massive responsibility to come up into the NHL and slot into a 1 or 2 spot in the middle.

Supposed to be gone with Gillis by the summer. If one goes, the other one most likely goes too.

Also, I'd consider 1 win in 11 games a pretty badass tire fire.
You guys have just had it too good with all those Presidents Trophies. Wait until you're a bottom 5 team for the majority of the season.

True, but they were incredibly sheltered in a shortened season, and A.Gally still isn't playing center. It's a massive responsibility to come up into the NHL and slot into a 1 or 2 spot in the middle.

Well the 2c spot would likely (hopefully) be filled by whoever we get back for Kesler, ideally Couturier.

Horvat would hold down the 3rd C spot in between two very good two-way vets.

Red_Man

Well the 2c spot would likely (hopefully) be filled by whoever we get back for Kesler, ideally Couturier.
Right. There's a lot of moving parts to the entire break down of the team, interesting to see where it goes in the next year and a half.

Socreges

Banned
You guys have just had it too good with all those Presidents Trophies. Wait until you're a bottom 5 team for the majority of the season.
ib0BVIPjpjHTY.gif

Red_Man

At least you'll get the most value out of your Hockeystreams account Smiley, what with all the junior games you'll start watching.

I sent this to Marvie as a joke but I'd be okay with it.

Bickell and Oduya + 1st to TBL from CHI
St. Louis + Malone + 1st to VAN from TBL
Kesler to CHI from TBL

We get Bickell's shitty contract off our books, let leddy move up, or new dman gets a shot and we get a legit 2C and have a good 1-2 selke punch.

VAN gets what they want in an established NHLer and a first and a decent player in Malone. And they *think* they're getting Kesler out of the west.

TB gets D help, dumps Malone's salary and gets a decentish fwd.

never will happen.

But who gives a shit, I would give that up for Kesler.

Smiley90

I sent this to Marvie as a joke but I'd be okay with it.

never will happen.

But who gives a shit, I would give that up for Kesler.

why the fuck would we want MSL and Malone. That's stupid. We need a YOUNG NHL'er, a prospect and picks. Not two old NHL'ers.

Red_Man

I like how the guy who constantly states he never goes to Hfboards is now PMing guys with Hfboard quality proposals.

I actually laughed at this. Then felt a little sad inside.
Watching and researching potential draft guys can actually be pretty entertaining once you fully accept your team is complete shit. That is unless you follow a guy all season, and then the team in front of you picks him :(

Acid08

Banned
One of our player development guys is saying he is hoping Hertl can make it back within the last 10 games of the season. That would be roughly four months of recovery time.

I don't know too much about knee injuries but that seems a little soon, I guess. Torres was out for 5 months with a similar injury. Only difference is Torres had ACL damage and Hertl doesn't, he's also younger and hasn't had a knee injury before. It sounds hopeful and I hope it pans out. Otherwise he would be coming back in the thick of the playoffs and I don't know if that's a great way to get him back into the game after such a long time out.

Smiley90

Hey man, I'm trying here.

like that would fucking matter, he'd just claim he's supported brady no matter what team he was on his entire career

Is there actually a trade proposal similar to that on HF, smelly?

I have no idea. When I say I don't go on HFBoards I actually mean it.

Smiley90

I would give someone all the NeoGaf gold I possess if they created and maintained a PJsoxfan twitter account.

PJsoxfan
Rumblings that Malone is going to Chicago. Someone's gonna need a diaper change after. Might be me.

go check for me then

i'm flattered, red.

I just told you I don't go on HFBoards, what part of that did you not understand.

Top Bottom