• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2016 |OT| It's not tanking, it's losing with style

zroid

Banned
Off topic but I love this

On Monday, James Weller, a Leicester fan who put £10 on his team before the season began, was at the stadium to witness the win. His betting house — they are legal in England — offered him a £25,000 payout if he was willing to cash out. He declined the half payment, and will ride on for the full £50,000. Leicester is now the odds-on favourite to win the title for the first time this season. And in their history.

Weller said he was going to start spending his winnings on Tuesday.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

God, I WISH somebody would do this to Zucc during out power play drills. :D

Antti Raanta gets the start tomorrow in Anaheim. Lines at practice today were:

Lindberg (Nash maintenance day)-Brassard-Zuccarello
Kreider-Stepan-Fast
Miller-E.Staal-Hayes
Glass-Moore-Stalberg

McDonagh-Klein
Yandle-Girardi
Staal-Boyle

Oscar Lindberg will be the healthy scratch, assuming Tanner Glass is healthy enough to play. He missed the last game with a lower body injury of some sort.

9_-_Gordon_Bombay_1024x1024.jpg

"A team isn't a bunch of kids out to win. A team is something you belong to, something you feel, something you have to earn."

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Whole lotta console stans trying to justify how $400 plus a required separate camera on top of a $350+ console is considered "cheap" right now.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Whole lotta console stans trying to justify how $400 plus a required separate camera on top of a $350+ console is considered "cheap" right now.

Same thing happened when people saw the pricetag of the other VR products... totally worth it

not

I'll admit to not having been interested in VR in the first place, but at that price that thing is DOA. It'll sell a whole bunch to the enthusiasts right away, but the lack of software support all console peripherals struggle with will peel it into a death spiral.

imBask

Banned
400 is borderline, when you add in the camera and move controller it gets out of hand real quick

and let's not talk about the 550 pricetag for Canada, i'm screaming internally

imBask

Banned
VR is dead on arrival. All of it. It will have a niche audience on PC but that is it I feel like.

either that, or it will somewhat catch on and devs like EA and Ubi will ruin it for everyone by forcefeeding VR in all their games.

the Wii motion thingy sounded like a great idea too, and we ended up with the biggest shovelware console of all time, everyone wanted that quick buck

imBask

Banned
Isn't it still half the cost than other major VR out ther?

I am out of the loop, last time I saw one it was $799.

vive is 800$ USD, so like a million CAD and you need a good computer
OR is 600 USD AND you need a NASA computer
PSVR is 400 USD + the camera + a PS4

it's cheaper, but still not cheap enough

calder

I'm still cautiously optimistic about VR if only because we have so damn many people saying after they tried a buggy old demo running on a devkit it totally changed their minds.

The good thing about PSVR is we will have a ton of impressions and previews on it in the months leading to release so it should be pretty easy to decide to hop on or not.

and let's not talk about the 550 pricetag for Canada, i'm screaming internally

Still blows my mind that we were at par a couple of years ago. I paid $399 CDN for my PS4. :(

Then tell us why VR will be a rousing success, unlike your franchise.

240 developers, significant IP already announced, moderate entry price point for new tech, nothing else to compete for the attention or dollars in holiday. They'll sell every unit of PSVR they can make in 2016. Whether it fizzles after a couple years or is a new primary way people play and experience content is the question.

I know I don't have 600$ to put on top of my 400$ machine to HOPEFULLY get something fun out of it

VR in 2016 isn't targeted at you, or the mass market. It's targeted at early adopters and price insensitive people... those who have cash to burn on this stuff.

Chris R

That price is actually really nice.

The hard part will be waiting until December or whatever to see which device has the games I want to play, since I'm not buying all three.

Montresor

So on Toronto sports radio they were talking about how if Toronto finishes last overall then the Leafs have a higher chance of picking 4th overall (aka losing all three lottery draws) than picking 1st overall. This upsets me.

Cake Boss

Banned
vive is 800$ USD, so like a million CAD and you need a good computer
OR is 600 USD AND you need a NASA computer
PSVR is 400 USD + the camera + a PS4

it's cheaper, but still not cheap enough

Well of course not its not at the price range that the mass consumer will jump on. Right now they are probably forecasting with that price range that it will be the hardcore community that will jump on it, until maybe a year or two from now when the technology gets cheaper and streamlined and better software that the real race for VR begins.

imBask

Banned
240 developers, significant IP already announced, moderate entry price point for new tech, nothing else to compete for the attention or dollars in holiday. They'll sell every unit of PSVR they can make in 2016. Whether it fizzles after a couple years or is a new primary way people play and experience content is the question.

VR in 2016 isn't targeted at you, or the mass market. It's targeted at early adopters and price insensitive people... those who have cash to burn on this stuff.

I understand all of that but it's the dev aspect that weirds me out. Unless i'm ubisoft, WHY would I make a VR thing if it's for such a small market? and if there's not much being developped, why would I buy a gen 2 or 3 VR machine?

and why are they announcing it as the revolution if it's unaffordable for most people?

zroid

Banned
So on Toronto sports radio they were talking about how if Toronto finishes last overall then the Leafs have a higher chance of picking 4th overall (aka losing all three lottery draws) than picking 1st overall. This upsets me.

20% to pick 1st, 48% to pick 4th

we picked a pretty bad year to tank

I have a GTX 980ti and that might not cut it for certain games. In some cases you'd need two, VR is still a ways off from being good, but we have to start somewhere.

While you make some valid points, just because they have those developers doesn't automatically make it a good platform. There has to be actual content there to be explored and expanded with. The price point will be still too deep for most people and it really shoe horns experiences to single player ones, for now at least, and obviously will always be first person.

Then you will inevitably get reports of shit is broke early on or people actually getting hurt and then that will hurt early sales.

I would personally love to be prvoen wrong so a few years down the line this is a real thing that is an awesome auxillary to traditional gaming but I don't see that happening. Only way I do is if it can outlive this current generation with enough support. I think VR is hitting a generation too early.

calder

Every fan of a terrible team (say, bottom 3 or 4 in the standings) like me needs to brace themselves for the not-terribly-long odds that 3 fucking teams above them in the standings leapfrog their team in the lottery.

My god I'm going to be pissy when the Jets finish 28th overall but pick 6th.

Unless i'm ubisoft, WHY would I make a VR thing if it's for such a small market?

Won't be small for long. And you could ask the same question for why make a game for the launch of a new console.

and if there's not much being developped, why would I buy a gen 2 or 3 VR machine?

There's a lot being developed.

and why are they announcing it as the revolution if it's unaffordable for most people?

What new technology launches at a mass market price? Typewriters, Televisions, PCs, laptops, cell phones, flat screen TVs, consoles, they all launch at early adopter prices.

They market it as mass market and revolutionary to make it aspirational for people that can't afford it.

just because they have those developers doesn't automatically make it a good platform.

Sure.

There has to be actual content there to be explored and expanded with.

But there is a lot of content coming. We just don't know about it all yet.

The price point will be still too deep for most people and it really shoe horns experiences to single player ones, for now at least, and obviously will always be first person.

Supply and demand in year one. If you can find a unit of PSVR on shelf Christmas week this year then yes, you can call it too high a price. My guess is they'll be $750+ on ebay. And of course on single player experiences for now at least.

Then you will inevitably get reports of shit is broke early on or people actually getting hurt and then that will hurt early sales.

Inevitably?

I would personally love to be prvoen wrong so a few years down the line this is a real thing that is an awesome auxillary to traditional gaming but I don't see that happening. Only way I do is if it can outlive this current generation with enough support. I think VR is hitting a generation too early.

Guess we'll see.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Not gonna lie.

Obviously I'd love if the Leafs end up with the #1 pick but either way I'm looking forward to drowning in the salt.

If Leafs get #1 pick all the Matthews is a bust and fuck the Leafs posts will fuel me for weeks.

If Leafs drop to #4 all the Leafs-GAF salt about the lottery will also fuel me.

The inevitable Edmonton #1 pick and I look forward to burning down the NHL with all of you.

imBask

Banned
Won't be small for long. And you could ask the same question for why make a game for the launch of a new console.

There's a lot being developed.

What new technology launches at a mass market price? Typewriters, Televisions, PCs, laptops, cell phones, flat screen TVs, consoles, they all launch at early adopter prices.

They market it as mass market and revolutionary to make it aspirational for people that can't afford it.

uugughghhhhh I guess, i'm just salty because I love new tech, and I can't have this one.

and the CAD is fucked, Justin will you just please legalize weed already and make the CAD dank again

None of that really means anything, though. Stuff gets announced that's never mentioned again all the time. Console peripherals have never been successful, and I don't see this being any different.

zroid

Banned
Not gonna lie.

Obviously I'd love if the Leafs end up with the #1 pick but either way I'm looking forward to drowning in the salt.

If Leafs get #1 pick all the Matthews is a bust and fuck the Leafs posts will fuel me for weeks.

If Leafs drop to #4 all the Leafs-GAF salt about the lottery will also fuel me.

The inevitable Edmonton #1 pick and I look forward to burning down the NHL with all of you.

It's weird but last year I was so salty about Oilers getting McDavid I almost expended my salt reserves. I feel like if they get Matthews I'm just going to laugh. A lot.

Top Bottom