• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2016 |OT| It's not tanking, it's losing with style

Merguson

Banned
Does anyone listen to pdocast? Has Dimitri kicked Travis out? :(

Travis was never the best but their conversations seems more natural and to the point compared to when he has guests on.

I do!

Not sure what happened there. Maybe something to do with Dimitri working for Sportsnet and Travis working for TSN.

Socreges

Banned
I'm coming around on the conspiracy theory that the NHL won't allow Edmonton to win. I'm not saying they'll decide who gets Matthews, just that they'll make sure Edmonton doesn't.
Nah

Tryamkin to debut tomorrow.

"He would like to surpass and be better than Chara," Tryamkin's interpreter said last week,
Deluded arrogance is a good sign

zroid

Banned

Travis was never the best but their conversations seems more natural and to the point compared to when he has guests on.

I do!

Not sure what happened there. Maybe something to do with Dimitri working for Sportsnet and Travis working for TSN.

yeah... I think that's probably what happened. Guess we'll just have to get our Yost fix from the TSN Analytics show. :p

I do!

yeah... I think that's probably what happened. Guess we'll just have to get our Yost fix from the TSN Analytics show. :p
seems so, Travis is even removed from the website.

That would certainly suck. This is probably the most entertaining NHL pod I've heard.

Merguson

Banned

zroid

Banned
After seeing how Nylander has struggled a bit playing C in the NHL, I think this is good for him. Let him soak in as much as he can for the rest of the season so he will have a better understanding of where his game needs to be at to succeed next year.

Even though it burns a year of the ELC, it will just get swapped for a year of RFA so it's not a big deal.

I decided to go on Sportsnet's website on a whim, and Sportsnet probably brought the show under their umbrella.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/hockey-pdocast/

huh. interesting

imBask

Banned
but also, why does Nylander only have 2 goals and no assist in 8 games? isn't he supposed to be the new Leafs-Gretzky? sounds like a bust to me, bust status confirmed

calder

I love the PDOcast! I also worry that now that Dimitri works for Snet it might be an issue with Yost's TSN masters. I get the impression that TSN is actually stickier about that than Sportsnet is, mainly because MvW frame it that way when they talk about how it's tougher for them to get TSN employed guests.

The PDOcast and TSN Hockey Analytics are my favourite hockey podcasts for sure.

I'm coming around on the conspiracy theory that the NHL won't allow Edmonton to win. I'm not saying they'll decide who gets Matthews, just that they'll make sure Edmonton doesn't.

I can't believe that with all the conspiracy theories out there with Bettman and Arizona that Matthews going to the Coyotes isn't already just an accepted fact.

zroid

Banned
It seems odd to burn a year of his ELC.
Well, there are a couple arguments in favour of it that I've seen.

1) if you let it slide another year, then his and Marner's contracts come up for renewal at the same time (maybe Kapanen's too), which could make negotiations difficult in their first contracts

2) the key point here is while it burns a year of ELC, it doesn't burn a year of control. UFA will come up at the same time regardless. So making him play for 2 years on his ELC instead of 3 means he might have less leverage in arbitration. Smaller track record. Maybe this allows them to get a lower AAV in RFA.

calder

God I wish.

I'd love Matthews as a Jet obviously, but as long as we're top three I'm pretty damn happy. I'm just terrified we'll finish 28th overall and then 3 teams above us will win the lottery so we pick sixth. Holy shit would that suck for any of the handful of bottom trash teams.

Ok it would be pretty fucking hilarious if it happened to the Oilers.

Lottery talk made me want to do the simulator, here's what I got on the first go.

1: Winnipeg
2: Edmonton
3: Calgary

Triggered: Quick

Cake Boss

Banned
New Leafs lunch fucking sucks now that it has Button and that old Leafs GM dumbass on there on a regular basis. And Overdrive is all shit because now they have to talk about other sports that they barely follow and have to stretch the show for another hour. I got shit to listen to now for pure hockey talk :(

New Leafs lunch fucking sucks now that it has Button and that old Leafs GM dumbass on there on a regular basis. And Overdrive is all shit because now they have to talk about other sports that they barely follow and have to stretch the show for another hour. I got shit to listen to now for pure hockey talk :(

Habs Lunch.

zroid

Banned
rotating cast of Button, Poulin, and Simmons

it's a nightmare

I would listen if it were Andi and Kate Beirness

eyeless

After seeing how Nylander has struggled a bit playing C in the NHL
i kinda feel like saying he's 'struggled' is kinda overstating or it just feels kinda irrelevant to say at this point considering the context, that he's been dropped onto the worst team in the league playing center from day one playing with two other rookies with no nhl experience on his wing or with michael 'no points in 27 games' grabner fanning on his passes (and then recently they gave him parenteau)

willie ain't mcdavid, ideally you get used to the nhl first and then you get used to playing center in the nhl, the list of centers that started in the nhl on the wing is a long list, put him on zetterberg etc.'s wing and things would prob look a lot different

so technically i'm not arguing with you or anything just seems kinda irrelevant and silly to make any evaluative statements considering the context and after only 8 games, not even what you're saying specifically but just some other people i've seen being dumb

but also, why does Nylander only have 2 goals and no assist in 8 games? isn't he supposed to be the new Leafs-Gretzky? sounds like a bust to me, bust status confirmed

Well they don't call him Bustlander for nothing.

Everyone knows the Leafs only drafted him because Nonis got confused and thought he was Alex.

zroid

Banned
i kinda feel like saying he's 'struggled' is kinda overstating or it just feels kinda irrelevant to say at this point considering the context, that he's been dropped onto the worst team in the league playing center from day one playing with two other rookies with no nhl experience on his wing or with michael 'no points in 27 games' grabner fanning on his passes (and then recently they gave him parenteau)

willie ain't mcdavid, ideally you get used to the nhl first and then you get used to playing center in the nhl, the list of centers that started in the nhl on the wing is a long list, put him on zetterberg etc.'s wing and things would prob look a lot different

so technically i'm not arguing with you or anything just seems kinda irrelevant and silly to make any evaluative statements considering the context and after only 8 games, not even what you're saying specifically but just some other people i've seen being dumb

yeah I'm definitely not saying he's underachieving, just that it's hard to play C in the NHL and he's realizing that

I love the PDOcast! I also worry that now that Dimitri works for Snet it might be an issue with Yost's TSN masters. I get the impression that TSN is actually stickier about that than Sportsnet is, mainly because MvW frame it that way when they talk about how it's tougher for them to get TSN employed guests.

The PDOcast and TSN Hockey Analytics are my favourite hockey podcasts for sure.
A new episode is out now and it is official. Travis is out :(

Delryk

Nylander staying with the Leafs for the rest of season

Sounds like same for Hyman and Soshnikov

yup Babock said Nylander and Brown should have stayed after training camp in the first place but too many bodies was the problem

Guessing Brown's not getting a look right now because he was injured for 3 months, and Marlies are giving him 20+ mins

Chris R

DYC50My.jpg

When the Avs miss the playoffs and don't win the lottery I'm expecting something similar to this to show up, just with more snow on it.

Leaf fans, assuming the bottom 5 finishes the way it is now, if you could be guaranteed 2nd overall right now or try our luck in the lottery, which would you pick?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Luke Schenn!
Jiri Tlusty!
Tyler Biggs!
Justin Pogge!

Rask was trash though, trade him for calder winner Raycroft!

To be fair

Schenn had a monster first season then became fat which severely hurt his skating speed and ultimately couldn't play against NHLers effectively
Jiri Tlusty did become sort of ok later but his wang and the call up yo-yo hurt him
Biggs always sucked, not sure how anyone saw any future in him
Everyone preferred Rask over Pogge

Schenn was the only one really hyped, and he kind of deserved it after his rookie season but then everything went sideways....

One we're all guilty of is Gustavsson though lol

imBask

Banned
Our fans are just as worst with overrated players though. You won't have much trouble finding people who still think Eller and Sekac could be first liners

Curufinwe

Well, there are a couple arguments in favour of it that I've seen.

1) if you let it slide another year, then his and Marner's contracts come up for renewal at the same time (maybe Kapanen's too), which could make negotiations difficult in their first contracts

2) the key point here is while it burns a year of ELC, it doesn't burn a year of control. UFA will come up at the same time regardless. So making him play for 2 years on his ELC instead of 3 means he might have less leverage in arbitration. Smaller track record. Maybe this allows them to get a lower AAV in RFA.

Good point.

Top Bottom