• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2016 |OT| It's not tanking, it's losing with style

Chris R

This.

Going by geography to align conferences at this point is terrible, since Detroit and Columbus really are the most western of the East Conference teams, and easiest to shift back to the Western Conference.

Even with expansion talks, expanding to QC makes no sense if they want to balance the conferences again.

The best possible outcomes are either two expansion teams to the west. Or a relocation of an eastern team to the west (Hurricanes?) and any one of the eastern teams going to the west (Detroit or Columbus).

Or scrap geographic conferences and go with a conference system like the MLB and NFL.

The divisions in the NFL and MLB are still somewhat regional though.

Just add Seattle and Las Vegas and call it good.

Cc-ihdOUkAATaNc.jpg

what a season

what a terrible season.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Cc-ihdOUkAATaNc.jpg

what a season

what a terrible season.

I dunno man, Desharnais isn't in the second picture. Actually it's amazing that he started the season as the third line centre.

Also, to weigh on the AGally at centre debate. I have no problem if he ends up being a terrific winger, it's not even about him being better or worse at a certain position.

The problem is our other centres are Plekanec, Eller, and Desharnais, and there's nothing in the pipeline.

McCarron was a winger when he was drafted and moved to centre, where he excelled, but can he actually translate that to a top 6 NHL centre, who knows. The only other worthwhile one is Hudon, but again, he has always been a winger until recently.

I dunno man, Desharnais isn't in the second picture. Actually it's amazing that he started the season as the third line centre.

And he was a good 3rd line centre earlier in the season but i think Danault might replace him. can DD work as a winger?

DD Danault Byron?

Quick

Banned
The divisions in the NFL and MLB are still somewhat regional though.

Just add Seattle and Las Vegas and call it good.

Better to be less reliant on geographic locations, at least.

I don't know how I would break down an AL/NL format for the NHL though.

zroid

Banned
I know it'd never happen but I'd still prefer Conferences to be eliminated altogether

Divisions can stay though

If Washington wins 12 of their last 17 games they will be the third team in NHL history to have a 60 win season after 95-96 Red Wings and 76-77 Habs. That's some very good company.

zroid

Banned
Holy crap, I haven't really been watching the standings

Didn't realize the Leafs had opened such a wide gap on 29th place. Good. Gooooooooooooood.

Marvie_3

Banned
Better to be less reliant on geographic locations, at least.

I don't know how I would break down an AL/NL format for the NHL though.
Canadian teams + Detroit, Chicago, Minnesota, Buffalo, and the 3 new york teams in one. All the other icky teams in the other.

Chris R

I know it'd never happen but I'd still prefer Conferences to be eliminated altogether

Divisions can stay though

I like conferences, because it means more games against certain teams. As good as Chicago, Dallas and St. Louis are right now I'm glad the Avs play them more than other Western teams.

edit: nevermind

zroid

Banned
I like conferences, because it means more games against certain teams. As good as Chicago, Dallas and St. Louis are right now I'm glad the Avs play them more than other Western teams.

You can still do that without conferences if you keep divisions though

the best thing imo would be top 3 teams in each division get in, and you pick the 4 best teams from rest of the league to be the wild cards

You can still do that without conferences if you keep divisions though

the best thing imo would be top 3 teams in each division get in, and you pick the 4 best teams from rest of the league to be the wild cards

I would love this but it will never happen. All the major sports has conferences, other than the MLB but still League=Conference, so I don't see the NHL changing the formula from the big 4. Also the MLS even has conferences.

Top Bottom