• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2016 |OT| It's not tanking, it's losing with style

Socreges

Banned
I'd say if the Oilers won the lottery I'd do something outrageous and get banned but since there are no Oilers fans I'm not sure how I would manage that.
Trust that dem will make his ritual appearance after the lottery and disappear right around mid-October.

Meh I just did the Sim for the first time today and it went Vancouver-Toronto-Calgary, a fairly unappealing result for me. The worst result for any fan of a shitty team of course is 3 teams above you in the standings winning, that would hurt.
Yes pls

Chris R

Watching hockey in Florida? What a bizarre concept, go play some golf!

I'm considering going for a round when I'm in Cali in April, because the golf season here doesn't usually start until like June for reals. Almost zero snow this year though, so it might allow the courses to open up a bit sooner.

Socreges

Banned
Looks like I may be getting a project in Chicago

200w.gif

zroid

Banned
Some Leafs fans/bloggers have been discussing lately what they could get from Arizona for the 1st overall pick if they win the lottery

I wouldn't mind making that trade if the package is good. Strome++?

People keep saying OEL but I don't think that's realistic

imBask

Banned
Some Leafs fans/bloggers have been discussing lately what they could get get from Arizona for the 1st overall pick if they win the lottery

Nylander and next years 1st pick

EDIT: oh you meant the other way around

Samyy

Some Leafs fans/bloggers have been discussing lately what they could get from Arizona for the 1st overall pick if they win the lottery

Do they have any other legit D prospects?

Merguson

Banned
Him speaking at the podium is his effort to win hearts and minds. That has little to do with the actual machinations of government and the obstacles he faces.

The guy has accomplished some pretty transformative things while facing the most obfuscatory, uncooperative Congress in decades. With gun control I wouldn't wager his lack of success is for lack of effort.

Nah. You can rebuild without getting rid of anything past nearing its expiration date. The Leafs are rebuilding through the tank.

That's fine, but who exactly did the Leafs get rid of that fit that description?

The only players I can see would be JVR, Kadri and Gardiner whom haven't been traded.. yet.

I wish I could find it but there was an article suggesting that most players peak by 28-29 years old, and after that, their performance starts to drop.

Kessel was 27 years old when he was traded. Dion Phaneuf was 30 when he was traded. I'm sure the other players the Leafs traded were around 29 years of age.

If this rebuild takes 3 to 5 years, how useful will the players dealt be in 3 years? 4 years? 5 years? I don't know. If whatever the Leafs are doing is considered tanking, then I'm glad they took the smart option.

The Leafs draft at whatever position they land at, and life continues on.

I really think that the habs will choose a french canadian player who has respek for the game of hockey, someone who Therrien can at least tolerate.

Julien Gauthier will be right in that range around 10th overall

I find Debrincat more Appealing or Michael Mcleod or Dubois.

Gauthier doesn't impress me at all.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Vancouver peeps, what's the weather generally like in September?

Planning a trip to BC and likely going late summer, early September depending on money.

Socreges

Banned
That's fine, but who exactly did the Leafs get rid of that fit that description?

The only players I can see would be JVR, Kadri and Gardiner whom haven't been traded.. yet.

I wish I could find it but there was an article suggesting that most players peak by 28-29 years old, and after that, their performance starts to drop.

Kessel was 27 years old when he was traded. Dion Phaneuf was 30 when he was traded. I'm sure the other players the Leafs traded were around 29 years of age.

If this rebuild takes 3 to 5 years, how useful will the players dealt be in 3 years? 4 years? 5 years? I don't know. If whatever the Leafs are doing is considered tanking, then I'm glad they took the smart option.
I said expiration, not prime.

I'm not debating with you whether or not their tanking strategy is the best one. That's a separate conversation. We're debating whether or tanking is even a distinct thing separate from all forms of rebuilding.

The point is that roster players who contribute are being traded away for prospects and picks. Even Reimer, by far the best Leafs goalie this season, was traded away at the age of 27. Obviously there is some wisdom in that (though there is also some folly in removing vets), but when you strip your team down in this way and in the process become by far the worst team in the league, how can you not call that tanking. There are worse examples, no doubt, but it's still appropriate.

Socreges

Banned
What do you do Soc? Seems like you are always on the road
Project manager. Travelled only 3 times since last fall but I probably talk about it a lot here because all of our 'customers' are necessarily in big cities (that therefore have NHL teams).

I hope the Chicago thing works out. Seems like a cool city, even if I'd need to carry.

I always thought Soc was a lawyer. Not sure why.
Because I argue a lot.

I actually started studying for the LSAT but realized I didn't have the patience to read dry material as much as is needed to be a successful lawyer.

Brucewaynegretzky is a lawyer, I think.

Project manager. Travelled only 3 times since last fall but I probably talk about it a lot here because all of our 'customers' are necessarily in big cities (that therefore have NHL teams).

I hope the Chicago thing works out. Seems like a cool city, even if I'd need to carry.

Oh okay cool! And yeah I remember you were in DC for what kinda seemed like a little while.

I was just curious. Cool that travelling is somewhat a part of what you do though.

I'd say if the Oilers won the lottery I'd do something outrageous and get banned but since there are no Oilers fans I'm not sure how I would manage that.

Well Orca and Parch are Oiler fans. I don't think the latter has posted here much this year but the former will probably pop in.

And yeah, let's have someone else win the lottery this year pls. At some point you have to stop continuously awarding abject failure.

Well Orca and Parch are Oiler fans. I don't think the latter has posted here much this year but the former will probably pop in.

And yeah, let's have someone else win the lottery this year pls. At some point you have to stop continuously awarding abject failure.
I think there is plenty of them: Pochacho and the guy with a kind of emo looking avatar

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Dem is the best because he's so god damn salty whenever he does post once every 6 months, it just builds up for him over time and then he drops it here and dips for another 6 months.

Yawnier

Banned
If it weren't for that one guy who has a McDavid avatar who posts occasionally, oilers-gaf would be about as non-existent as devils-gaf

Red_Man

Tippett said it was an ongoing situation before Tinordi was acquired. Tippett said as he understands, positive test happened before trade.

So either Bergevin is a slimy fuck, or Maloney is an idiot. Or maybe this is why Bergevin took on Scott and in exchange for Maloney taking a player knowingly taking illegal substances? So weird.

If it weren't for that one guy who has a McDavid avatar who posts occasionally, oilers-gaf would be about as non-existent as devils-gaf
I wonder what happened to that Devils fan with the Corey Booker avatar, he seemed pretty cool.

imBask

Banned
NHL doesn't want Scott at the ASG -> Tinordi gets caught -> the league force the trade to happen

it sounds a little tinfoil hat-ish, but you know...

Red_Man

If the Coyotes new Tinordi had failed the test, can't they be punished for continuing to play him? This is confusing, I don't know the exact regulations around this, but I assume that as soon as they become aware of the situation they should have suspended him.

Sarah McLellanVerified account
‏@azc_mclellan
Tippett said it was an ongoing situation before Tinordi was acquired. Tippett said as he understands, positive test happened before trade.

Huh. I think it was a mix of him demanding a trade/ Father wanted a trade for his son and this that led to the John Scott deal. Maybe this is why he was benched all the time.

Let's get this out of the way here. Tinordi was a god awful player and a terrible 1st round pick and should have went way lower.

But why would Maloney take him? That's the confusing part. unless he was told after the trade. But it does sound like he was traded because he may have a drug problem.

I think we also know why Thomas and Smith Pelly were traded as well. Because they were bad influences on Galchenyuk and Beaulieu. Bergevin is getting rid of Toxic players, simple as that.

Top Bottom