• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2017 |OT| All in

Solo

Stamkos now listed as day-to-day.

Man this guy has had an awful run of luck.

2013-2014: injured with a busted right leg, missed most of the season, missed the Olympics, came back for playoffs and Habs swept the Bolts
2014-2015: okay, he was healthy here and they went to the Cup final, but he was playing second fiddle to the triplets line
2015-2016: blood clot right before playoffs, misses entirety of playoffs aside from a losing Game 7 in the ECF
2016-2017: injured with a busted left knee, misses most of the season, coming back for a playoff push

Cake Boss

Banned
what's the excuse for Doughty winning last year over Karlsson and his 82 points?

not to defend his point but you know as well as me that the norris is a little funky and depends on a ton of external factors

Oh yeah I bet Markov has been the runner up multiple times and just missed it, and was the victim of funky voting system.

Pikma

Banned
You're just now learning that Orange County, the home of Nixon, is Republican?

It's actually too big now if you're sitting in the Club section, which I assume everybody does.
I already knew that, I was just throwing shade at you😊😊😊

calder

Holy shit people, that IT trailer is pure fucking nightmares. I *loved* that book when I was young but never cared about the movie a few decades ago because it looked like trash but this looks amazing. Was not expecting that!

insert wager about keeping pre-teen gangbang scene intact... lol Stephen King god bless his weird little quirks

Pikma

Banned
It's nice when they run videos though. I'm usually outside when they run video though, beating up on haters.

ljectkO.gif
Beating up on haters? That sounds like something a Kings fan would do😦😦😦

Solo

Holy shit people, that IT trailer is pure fucking nightmares. I *loved* that book when I was young but never cared about the movie a few decades ago because it looked like trash but this looks amazing. Was not expecting that!

insert wager about keeping pre-teen gangbang scene intact... lol Stephen King god bless his weird little quirks

It looks amazing. Which is a genuine surprise given that I'd lost all faith when Fukanaga bailed on directing it. I'll be there night one.

Solo

I remember when defencemen got accolades for playing defence.

Haha forreal. The Norris is a joke and also inconsistent as fuck. I mean, it's more or less the Art Ross award for defenseman these days. And that would be fine I guess if it were consistently awarded as so, but it isn't. Every few years there's a blip like Doughty and Keith beating Karlsson in 2016 and 2014 when Karlsson outscored them. I've said it for years but there needs to be 2 defense awards. Forwards have a Selke, and the Norris is essentially that in reverse. But forwards also have awards for being the best at offence, so why not an award for being best at defense for defensemen?

Marvie_3

Banned
Duncan Keith - 909 gp, 509 pts - 0.56 ppg
Andrei Markov - 985 gp, 572 pts - 0.58 ppg

Yes, Keith has won 2 Norris trophies and a Conn Smythe, so obviously he has Markov beat. Just saying that it's not laughable based on production. And Markov lost 2.5 years in his prime, so he'd likely be way ahead of Keith production wise otherwise. Also, Keith is a dirty player.
Better kick all the dirty players out of the HOF then!

*half of the HOF is gone*

And I completely, fundamentally disagree with Cake's earlier assertion that gold medals and Cups won, or not won, should factor into whether a player is in the HOF or not. A gold medal or a Cup is a team award, and says nothing about an individual's performance. Jaret Stoool is a Stanley Cup champion. Adam Oates is not.
I agree somewhat but I dont think you can completely ignore them. They just shouldnt be the sole thing youre judging players on.

Hey marvie FUCK YOU your car sucks
I know it sucks but Pikma bought it for me and id feel bad if i didnt show it off. Its like one of those shitty drawings that kids make but you still have to hang it on the fridge.

calder

I remember when defencemen got accolades for playing defence.

Yep, nothing has changed as much the past 5 years as the way people look at defencemen. It's still the least understood aspect of modern hockey when it comes to analyzing and comparing, but it's much much better than it was a decade ago when whichever dman blocked the most shots or slashed the most forwards in the crease was assumed to be the best.

Solo

Norrison in his Norris years:

2012: 168th in blocks, 4th most giveaways among NHL D-men. But 1st in points and 1st in takeaways among NHL D-men.
2015: 122nd in blocks, 3rd most giveaways among NHL D-men. But 1st in points and 3rd in takeaways among NHL D-men.

This is why the Norris is a joke. You can turn the puck over like there's no tomorrow, but as long as you're scoring, you're Norris worthy! People were awarding Brent Burns the Norris by the halfway point of this season because of his offence. Strange when its supposed to be a defense award.

Although I will say that as bad as his giveaways are, his ability to take the puck from the opposing team is ril gud. So there's that.

2012: 168th in blocks, 4th most giveaways among NHL D-men. But 1st in points and 1st in takeaways among NHL D-men.
2015: 122nd in blocks, 3rd most giveaways among NHL D-men. But 1st in points and 3rd in takeaways among NHL D-men.

This is why the Norris is a joke. You can turn the puck over like there's no tomorrow, but as long as you're scoring, you're Norris worthy!

Although I will say that as bad as his giveaways are, his ability to take the puck from the opposing team is ril gud. So there's that.

I don't trust takeaway/giveaway stats. They just seem sketchy to me. Plus they don't tell you much. If you look at the top 10-20 players in giveaways in the league they are mostly really good players: https://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/player-giveaways-statistic/2016/

I think it's a case of you're gonna give the puck away more if you have it all the time and less if you never have it in the first place.

Does a dump-in count as a give-away? Because I'd rather have Noribaesson turning it over a few times a game than Roman Polak slapshotting the puck against the glass 20 times a night.

Solo

I think it's a case of you're gonna give the puck away more if you have it all the time and less if you never have it in the first place.

Oh absolutely. It's certainly a factor of icetime and possession too. I was just saying the Norris is silly and poking at Cuck Baby in the process.

For the record, Subban wasnt the best defender or even close either when he won his Norris either. Oh well. I'll continue on thinking it's the most pointless/insincere of all NHL awards.

Foggy

Aaron Portzline‏ @Aportzline
Told #CBJ RW David Clarkson, whose career is likely over due to chronic back injury, will be varsity head coach at Upper Arlington HS.

Likely the final footnote in the ballad of David Clarkson

Cake Boss

Banned

This is why the Norris is a joke. You can turn the puck over like there's no tomorrow, but as long as you're scoring, you're Norris worthy! People were awarding Brent Burns the Norris by the halfway point of this season because of his offence. Strange when its supposed to be a defense award.

lmao the player that has the puck the most on his team gives up the most pucks. news at 11, weather at 11:35.

Stats are stats.

Curufinwe

I never read the book, but a few years ago I looked up how the TV version from 90s was different, and that part had me blinking like Drew Scanlon.

Cake Boss

Banned
Oh absolutely. It's certainly a factor of icetime and possession too. I was just saying the Norris is silly and poking at Cuck Baby in the process.

For the record, Subban wasnt the best defender or even close either when he won his Norris either. Oh well. I'll continue on thinking it's the most pointless/insincere of all NHL awards.

What are you even poking at with those limp dick arguments, motherfucka you already gave up last page.

That moment when you realize that Garry Galley has more points than Markov.

I concede my argument. That mouthbreather doing color on CBC having more points just killed it dead in its tracks.

How bout that Carey Price fella.....

Now you brought up some crappy stats, then later just confirmed yourself that they are useless.I don't even need to do anything anymore.

calder

Guys, there's a difference between getting in game shape for the playoff shitstorm and wasting energy and salt before the teams hit the ice.

Pace yourselves, is what I'm saying. I don't want the entertainment value of the prime first round matchups being diluted by a weeks long proxy war about awards.

imBask

Banned
Guys, there's a difference between getting in game shape for the playoff shitstorm and wasting energy and salt before the teams hit the ice.

Pace yourselves, is what I'm saying. I don't want the entertainment value of the prime first round matchups being diluted by a weeks long proxy war about awards.

Your team sure won't entertain you in the playoffs this year huh, so it's understandable

pleb

Cake Boss

Banned

This seems like a speech that Paul Maurice gives his troops between periods thinking it will rile them up.

calder

I never read the book, but a few years ago I looked up how the TV version from 90s was different, and that part had me blinking like Drew Scanlon.

I read those pages like wait, what.... no what... NO WHAT. Then I reread them in disbelief - I was like a couple of years older than the characters when I read it and I could tell it was so weird ass shit.

I've always found that in every King novel there's the imaginative weirdness you'd expect from a horror/thriller story and then there's a small section or part that's WEIRD on a level beyond anything else. Like King inserting a part about a farmer jerking off while killing an old horse in a story written by a novelist character that makes the other characters go "wow, that came out of nowhere, maybe your psychotic alter ego wrote that page huh?".

imBask

Banned
I read those pages like wait, what.... no what... NO WHAT. Then I reread them in disbelief - I was like a couple of years older than the characters when I read it and I could tell it was so weird ass shit.

I've always found that in every King novel there's the imaginative weirdness you'd expect from a horror/thriller story and then there's a small section or part that's WEIRD on a level beyond anything else. Like King inserting a part about a farmer jerking off while killing an old horse in a story written by a novelist character that makes the other characters go "wow, that came out of nowhere, maybe your psychotic alter ego wrote that page huh?".

the way you're describing it sounds GREAT, it sounds like what horror should be like, tension and weirdness that makes you uncomfortable

I never read it or seen the originals, I will at least try to watch it before the new one comes out, but as I said in the thread that trailer is... heh... That stupid jumpscare at the end of the trailer is bad, it's modern horror trash instead of what you're describing and that doesn't bode well IMO

calder

This seems like a speech that Paul Maurice gives his troops between periods thinking it will rile them up.

Maurice isn't about reverse psychology or any of that nonsense! He's about failing over and over again but then accurately and eloquently explaining what precise thing the team sucks at during the post game interview. Great quote our PoMo, so good with a sarcastic quip that makes people questioning his boneheaded roster decisions sound dumb, extend him 5 years please Chevy!

But I digress, if you guys must argue about Norris voting (boring) or HHoF worth (super fucking boring) more power to you I guess. Just don't get banned before the inevitable game 2 elbow to the head that REALLY gets shit going.

SPOILER: It's going to be Ott with a borderline high hit on Stone that causes the impartial concussion spotter in Bell Centre to remove Anderson, Karlsson AND Stone as a precaution and this thread will explode, book it

Solo

lmao the player that has the puck the most on his team gives up the most pucks. news at 11, weather at 11:35.

Stats are stats.

In 2012, Karlsson was 9th among D-men in TOI/G and all 8 of the guys who played more than him (Campbell, Keith, Suter, Girardi, Weber, Bouwmeester, Boyle, Beauchemin) all had more blocks, all had fewer giveaways, and Weber was 2nd to Karlsson in takeaways. So shouldn't Weber have won? You know, on the basis on playing better defense? He was nominated. As was Chara, who isn't up there with those 8 other guys, but guess what? Chara was third in points and Karlsson was 1st. Hmmm......

In 2015, Karlsson was 3rd among D-men in TOI/G and the 2 guys who played more than him (Suter, Doughty) both had more blocks, and had fewer giveaways. Doughty was nominated and should have won (out of the nominees anyway). Who else was nominated? PK Subban, who lead the league in giveaways and was 46th in takeaways. But guess what? Subban was third in points and Karlsson was 1st. Hmmm......

It's okay to admit that what the trophy is supposed to be awarded for and what it actually is awarded for are worlds apart. It doesn't make Karlsson any less great of a player. The problem isn't with him, it's with this joke of an award/league.

yyzjohn

Banned
Stephen King has always been a gross-ass dude. Same with George Martin. But fantastically efficient writers (or were, at one time).

Funnily enough, I'm almost up to IT. I've been reading all of King's books this year that I haven't recently read (and by recent I mean within the last 5 years). Going in order of publication, I'm at Christine now.

Top Bottom