• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2017 |OT| All in

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Playoffs:

Maple Leafs @ Capitals
Blue Jackets @ Penguins
Rangers @ Canadiens
Bruins @ Senators

Blues @ Wild
Predators @ Blackhawks
Oilers @ Sharks
Ducks @ Flames

Metro is crazy tight now. The Capitals and Penguins are tied in points, but Washington owns the ROW tiebreaker. The Blue Jackets are 1 point behind both Washington and Pittsburgh. All three teams have played an equal number of games, and the BJs own the ROW tiebreaker over the Penguins. The Rangers are 4 points back but have also played two more games than the top three teams.

iLLmAtlc

Even tho that series was over quickly it was so much fun to watch on tv, really makes me miss playoffs.

I still remember the Canucks blew the 3-0 lead in the elimination game >_>

Posting shit in finnish should be a bannable offense

sorry.. i didn't start it though, but i'll apologize on behalf of everyone.

also, why? pretty xenophobic considering this is supposed to be a pretty liberal forum.. "LOL english only, fuck your native languages"?

Pikma

Banned
sorry.. i didn't start it though, but i'll apologize on behalf of everyone.

also, why? pretty xenophobic considering this is supposed to be a pretty liberal forum.. "LOL english only, fuck your native languages"?
Nah every other language is fine, just not finnish

Quick

Banned
YOU PEOPLE NEED TO APOLOGIZE TO THE BATHROOM ATTENDANT FOR CONSTANTLY LEAVIN' A MESS WHEN YOU EUROPEENS RUN INTO A STALL AN' SCATTER COMMUNIST MANIFESTO PAGES EVERYWHERE.

BOY I'M REAL STEAMED EH.

Treliving makes for a good trading partner. Very generous. 👌

I'm still mad about granlund and sven TBH, Hartley hated sven, idk why but he got in the dog house and it was felt thru the organization. Hes exactly what I wanted from him and I'm disaapojnted we let him go. Grandlund even more so because I saw his ceiling and he was great, but they wanted to give homers a chance I guess? Misses opportunity total, really happy both those guys are in the league because they're legit, mad it's the Canucks tho. Losing Byron to wires is another sore point, also the brouwer contract. Otherwise I'm happy with treliving. Half of those deals are from burke/ other established hockey ops tho, this won't be his team for 1-2 years

Speaking of homers, fuck shinkaruk

yyzjohn

Banned
Playoffs:

Maple Leafs @ Capitals
Blue Jackets @ Penguins
Rangers @ Canadiens
Bruins @ Senators

Blues @ Wild
Predators @ Blackhawks
Oilers @ Sharks
Ducks @ Flames

You know this is gonna change like 15 times over the next 15 games? What's the point of showing playoff matchups?

Solo

Weird week....the rare Habs/Blackhawks game tonight, then no games for the next 3 days, then back to back home and home with Ottawa on the weekend. Strange week, but a big one for determining the outcome of the Atlantic.

Reasons for optimism for the Capitals

Let's talk about what's going on right now.

-The Capitals were not outplayed during their west coast road trip. The Capitals lost every game out west, but it was more about bad puck luck than anything else. The Capitals out-attempted their three opponents overall 116-102 at even strength. The Capitals out-attempted both the Ducks and Kings by eight shot attempts. The losses stung, but it's undeniable that the Capitals played good hockey.

-The Capitals have seen their sky-high shooting percentages crater, but not their underlying play. According to RMNB's Peter Hassett, the Capitals have had only a minor drop in their offensive rates. As of Saturday, the Capitals' total shot attempts have fallen 4.3 percent. Expected goals (a function of shot volume and quality) have also dropped from 2.7 to 2.3, which is not insignificant, but both of those declines are dwarfed by the stark decline in shooting percentage. Before the bye week it was 10 percent. Now it's 7.7 percent. So there's been slightly lower offensive volume, but, more importantly, there's been a rash of bad puck luck.

-The Capitals have played a lot of games lately. Are the Capitals not trying hard enough or are they tired? The Capitals have played 12 games in the last 23 days. Out west, the Capitals switched time zones by three hours and played three games in four nights, including daylight savings Sunday morning, when the clocks jumped forward an hour.

-Alex Ovechkin will score again. The Russian machine (27) trails Sidney Crosby (35) for the league lead in goals by eight. Ovechkin, in his twelfth season pro, is experiencing the first double-digit goalless streak of his career, but he's not the only superstar struggling to score. The NHL is unlikely to see a 50-goal scorer this season for the first time since 2003-04 (in non-lockout-shortened seasons). So sure, Ovechkin's shot attempt rates are down and he may not score 40 goals this season, but it's still possible he could win the Richard Trophy anyway.

- The Capitals roster features ten 10-goal scorers. The Capitals feature one of the deepest rosters in the league, which includes four 20-goal scorers. That includes every forward on the Capitals' first line (Ovechkin, TJ Oshie, and Nicklas Backstrom).

- Andre Burakovsky is close to returning from a hand injury. Burakovsky, who has 11 goals in 52 games this season, skated on the team's third line consisting of Lars Eller and Marcus Johansson for most of the season and they were dominant together. When the Burracuda returns, he will bolster an already lethal forward corps.

-Braden Holtby is one of the league's best goaltenders. According to Corsica, Holtby has the second best even-strength save percentage (93.7%) among goalies that have played more than 30 games this season. The only goaltender that has been better is Carey Price (94.0%).

-The Capitals' power play is arguably better after the Kevin Shattenkirk trade. According to Peter Hassett, the Caps have had 20 percent increases in both scoring chance and expected goal rates since Shatty took over the PPQB1 spot.
The Washington Capitals are tied for first place in the entire league. Despite losing those four-straight games in regulation and being outscored in those games 17-6, the Capitals are tied for first in the standings (95) and lead in goal differential (plus-66).

- The Capitals play in the best division in hockey. The best three teams in the league are from the Metropolitan Division. That's why you feel that sweat running down your brow. The Capitals (95) are tied with the Penguins for first place in the division while they lead the Blue Jackets by only one standings point (94). If the Capitals were in the Atlantic Division, they'd lead the Canadiens by nine points (86) and the Senators by 11 (84).

- This is likely the most talented roster the Capitals have had in franchise history. This iteration of the Capitals got off to the second-best start in franchise history and could win the President's Trophy for a second year in a row. Though we know from experience, winning the Presidents' Trophy does not guarantee success (lost in first round of the playoffs in 2010 and lost in second round in 2016).

Meh, at the same time the defending champions now have the same amount of points and have 4 injured defensemen. They look the best they have but that doesn't always mean much in the playoffs.

Entropia

No One Remembers
That Canes vs. Islanders game was nuts last night, unfortunately I missed the first two periods while I was out seeing Logan.

Top Bottom